PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy spinoff: The Cleveland Show

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Cleveland on the Cleveland Show
Actor and writer Mike Henry talks about the Family Guy spin-off.
by Travis Fickett

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/875/875374/pic-the-cleveland-show-20080520111936564.jpg

August 11, 2008 - There was a time when Seth MacFarlane was a young guy who made a failed animated comedy that had a rabid cult following. It was just another canceled show that had a fan campaign to revive it that went nowhere. That is – it went nowhere before the DVD box sets went on sale and broke records. Numbers don't lie - Family Guy's commercial power was undeniable and it returned to the FOX network to great and continuing ratings success.

While American Dad was a spiritual successor to Family Guy, and bares all the hallmarks of MacFarlane's chaotic and frantic humor, it's technically not a spin-off. That's where The Cleveland Show comes in. The first true spin-off of the series takes on of the major regular characters, Cleveland Brown, and gives him his own show. There has been precious little released about this new series. There's one image and a few re-edited clips from Family Guy that have surfaced. Oh – and there's a theme song. (http://tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14238442/theclevelandshow/videos/cleveland_theme_tagged_1200.html)

Now we've had a chance to go to the source, to Cleveland himself, Mike Henry. Henry serves as Cleveland's voice as well as a writer on Family Guy and now Cleveland. Henry has been a mainstay in the MacFarlane world – performing multiple voices on Family Guy and America Dad. The fact that he has also served as a writer since day one makes him one of the primary voices for the franchise – and elevating him to his own series seems an obvious choice.

IGN TV: We keep getting this one promo image, of Cleveland and his new family, the English family…and some bears. What are the bears all about?

Mike Henry: It just kind of rolled out that we got Cleveland in his old home town, hooked up with an old high school sweetheart. Cleveland has Cleveland Jr., she's got two kids – they're kind of a Brady Bunch. And next door there's an uptight British kind of "Tudor" family and on the other side of the house is this family of Bears that speak with a foreign accent. Across the street there's some red necks. It's hard to classify the show. It's not really a black show, it's based on a mixture of all kinds of whacky characters – but absolutely grounded with Cleveland and this family.

There will be a lot more family-oriented stories than Family Guy. Still flashbacks and cutaways and everything that you enjoy about Family Guy, but a whole new cast of characters; some of whom are black, some are uptight British, some are rednecks, and some are bears. It just kind of played out, the way all these characters came together.

IGN: When did it get to the point where you started talking about spinning Cleveland off from Family Guy?

Henry: Last summer Seth pointed out that he felt the studio would love a Family Guy spin-off. So at that point everyone just kind of pointed at me and said "Cleveland, Cleveland, Cleveland!" So I talked to Richard Attell, who was running American Dad at the time, and we started coming up with a lot of ideas pretty quickly. And we talked to Seth not too far into that process and realized that we kind of had something.

So we just ran with it. And the whole series took shape in a couple of weeks. We came up with the idea that Cleveland would move to his hometown, reconnect with his high school sweetheart – he's got a kid, she's got some kids – and the other characters sort of rolled out.

IGN: And the story is that Cleveland is her "safety?"

Henry: Yeah, back in the day she saw him as only a friend. And he told her that if she ever needed him, he'd be there for her. In this case, the way it plays out is that he has to "man-up" and go for it. He can't be playing the safety that she settled for him. He's got to go outside of himself and be a real man, and that's what hooked her. It's him getting to a point where he has to step-up. And he does.

IGN: So where does it happen in the development process where someone says "How about some bears?"

Henry: Well we talked about whether we have a "wild card" aspect to this, and we came up with the family of bears. Some of the voices that we started hearing for the bears started making us laugh. So it's that same type of thing where it's a little bit surreal, but it's played straight most of the time. But they are actually bears, so you can go to those jokes too.

IGN: Can you give us an idea of some of the episodes that you might be doing?

Henry: Yeah, it's like a black Brady Bunch. We make that joke in the pilot. We explore a lot of the territory that the Brady Bunch would never touch. Which is basically combining families and the comedy that comes out of step-families. It really is a family-oriented show. It'll have crude jokes – the s*** jokes, p**** jokes, whatever you need to do – but at the end of the day it's all about the family and their connection.

IGN: Can you give us a release date, yet?

Henry: It's still unclear, but I think some time in '09. Probably next fall.

IGN TV: So are you all done with Family Guy?

Henry: Oh no. I'll still do voices on Family Guy. But writing wise I'll be spending most of time on Cleveland. We're gonna back it up. It's going to be good.

We don't know yet when, but eventually The Cleveland Show will air on FOX, and you can bet good money it'll be on Sunday night.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/897/897899p2.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Wtf, they got rid of Cleveland Jr.

manufor3
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
that looks like crap, they got rid of cleveland jr!!!

baseline bum
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Cleveland without Loretta will be boring as fuck.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
It's already set up for failure since they got rid of Cleveland Jr. The only thing that intrigues me about it so far is the bears for neighbors.

It better be a damn good show.

baseline bum
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
This shit look really stupid. The only character other than Peter who is interesting enough for his own show is Mayor West.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd say Joe would be a good enough character for a show if Bonnie would pop that fuckin kid out already.

IronMexican
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Quagmire could have his own spinoff.

Quagmire - how old are you?

Girl - 16.

Quagmire - 18, alllright.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Cleveland was a pretty bad choice. That's like saying Bill from King of the Hill having his own show.

T Park
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah this show will be lucky to last more than 2 weeks.

leemajors
08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
:td. same shit, different show. mcfarlane's act was tired years ago.

resistanze
08-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I hope they AT LEAST cancel American Dad for this.

T Park
08-14-2008, 10:47 PM
yeah american dad blows.

Hes gonna run out of some serious material if Barack Obama wins.

I mean, it would be cool if he was consistent and did a little skit out of Obama thinking there were 57 states.

mrsmaalox
08-15-2008, 12:20 AM
I may be having comprehension issues, but where do they say they get rid of Cleveland Jr? The video interview says that Loretta gets the house and Cleveland gets Cleveland Jr.

Buddy Holly
08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
I mean, it would be cool if he was consistent and did a little skit out of Obama thinking there were 57 states.

Well, not to get too deep into this but that gaffe happened three months ago. New episodes of American Dad yet to be shown but when they do in a couple of months, said episodes will have been written and drawn 7-8 months from when they first air.

Second, you can't compare a man like Obama who make's a speech blunder every leap while Bush makes one every time a camera is placed in front of him.

Having just seen Stepbrothers a couple of days ago...

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream"

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:04 AM
econd, you can't compare a man like Obama who make's a speech blunder every leap while Bush makes one every time a camera is placed in front of him.

Why not?

Consistency. Come on hypocrits.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Okay.. this isn't related but since you are talking about animated series, I'll post it here.

Does anyone know if they will continue the Lil Bush series once he's out of office? Will they have Lil Obama or Lil McCain be the stars and just change the name?

Taco
08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Cleveland Brown what a name :lol

angel_luv
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
that looks like crap, they got rid of cleveland jr!!!

?

Cleveland has Cleveland Jr., she's got two kids – they're kind of a Brady Bunch.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 08:23 AM
I may be having comprehension issues, but where do they say they get rid of Cleveland Jr? The video interview says that Loretta gets the house and Cleveland gets Cleveland Jr.

They're passing off the fat kid as Cleveland Jr.

That fucking blows.

thispego
08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
i'd watch a show with quagmire getting recalled by the navy and it follows his crazy adventures from port to port.

but not this.

leemajors
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
if there's any justice they'll give it the fuck you time slot like they did futurama - 6:00 Sundays after the NFL so it gets bumped every week. just how did american dad get more run than futurama?

Buddy Holly
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Why not?

Consistency. Come on hypocrits.

Consistency? For your example, consistency would be making fun of someone who is always fucking up on television.

It's not like GW made one slip up and has been made fun of consistently. He has soon himself to be one unintelligent person consistently for 8 years.

When Obama starts doing that, then you can call people hypocrites.

resistanze
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
just how did american dad get more run than futurama?

Don't remind me, I'm still bitter.