PDA

View Full Version : Installing new hard drive

Man Sauce
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey guys I wanted to know if I install a new hard drive on my computer can I still use my current XP operating system with the same product key or do I have to buy a new copy of windows? Thanks

Steve Perry
08-15-2008, 02:54 AM
As long as you have the COA sticker on the bottom of the notebook you can register after boot up. Microsoft already has a record of that machine's VIN number showing it's XP home Pro, Media, ect...It's only when you put XP on another PC and try and use a COA sticker from another PC that you run into problems.

TDMVPDPOY
08-15-2008, 05:50 AM
dude as long you own the original you can install it many times on one comp, if you got two comps than thats when you either still use the same one or phone MS and buy another key.

ps. wtf do you want ur comp two have dual boot windows for on each hdd....

Man Sauce
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
dude as long you own the original you can install it many times on one comp, if you got two comps than thats when you either still use the same one or phone MS and buy another key.

ps. wtf do you want ur comp two have dual boot windows for on each hdd....

I just want to replace my existing hard drive with a bigger one.

Man Sauce
08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Well I have a desktop and my computer came originally with windows ME it was crap so I bought windows xp professional at UTSA through the student center. What worries me if I can't put windows xp on the new hard drive without it telling that my product key is invalid because I have it on my existing hard drive. I don't think they sell XP anymore i bought it for thirty five dollars at UTSA.