PDA

View Full Version : SpursTalk Project - Top 50 Spurs

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

Each day, there will be a new poll where SpursTalk can vote to elect the next player on the list. For example, on the first, we will vote on spot number one. On the second day, it'll spot number two. And so on.

The Express-News recently listed the top 30 Spurs and I thought their results were pretty weak. I'm confident SpursTalk can come up with a much better list. We'll start the voting tomorrow (Saturday) and one spot per day will make the voting end right around the start of preseason.

The first order of business is coming up with a preliminary list. Here are 67 names I put together. Feel free to suggest addition players, coaches or owners. Starting with approximately 75 names would probably be best.

Allan Bristow
Alvin Robertson
Angelo Drossos
Antoine Carr
Antonio Daniels
Artis Gilmore
Avery Johnson
Billy Paultz
Bob Bass
Bob Hill
Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Chuck Person
Coby Dietrick
Dale Ellis
Dave Corzine
Dave Greenwood
David Robinson
Dennis Rodman
Derek Anderson
Doug Moe
Edgar Jones
Fabricio Oberto
Frank Brickowski
Gene Banks
George Gervin
Greg Anderson
Gregg Popovich
Hank Egan
James Silas
Jaren Jackson
Johnny Dawkins
Johnny Moore
Larry Brown
Larry Kenon
Malik Rose
Manu Ginobili
Mario Elie
Mark Olberding
Michael Finley
Mike Budenholzer
Mike Gale
Mike Mitchell
Paul Griffin
Peter Holt
PJ Carlesimo
Rasho Nesterovic
RC Buford
Red McCombs
Rich Jones
Robert Horry
Robert McDermott
Rod Strickland
Sam Presti
Sean Elliott
Stan Albeck
Stephen Jackson
Steve Kerr
Swen Nater
Terry Cummings
Terry Porter
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Vinny Del Negro
Walter Berry
Will Perdue
Willie Anderson

Anyone else? Thanks.

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Cool idea, however I think trolls will screw it up LJ. Maybe make the votes public and eliminate their votes? Not sure, I just see that happening.

Cliff Hagan? He was our first ever coach and was for all 3 years we were known as the Dallas Chaparrals.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
:lol I was going to say. I almost didn't believe you had Rasho in there but no Oberto

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Cool idea, however I think trolls will screw it up LJ. Maybe make the votes public and eliminate their votes? Not sure, I just see that happening.Yeah I was going to make votes public and make it one vote per IP. I'll keep an eye out for duplicate votes ... most likely from whottt trying to keep AJ out of the top 50.

:smokin

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
:lol I was going to say. I almost didn't believe you had Rasho in there but no ObertoLuckily I read the list after posting. I might be missing a few others but Oberto was a pretty big omission right off the bat.

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah I was going to make votes public and make it one vote per IP. I'll keep an eye out for duplicate votes ... most likely from whottt trying to keep AJ out of the top 50.

:smokin

Or ducks from voting TP a billion times. :lol

Did you get my PM from the other day? Should I wait till fantasy stuff is underway or fly it solo?

Man Mountain
08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Sounds shweet. I'm interested in seeing where Pop, Holt and Drossos end up!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 07:57 AM
This should be fun.

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Or ducks from voting TP a billion times. :lol

Did you get my PM from the other day? Should I wait till fantasy stuff is underway or fly it solo?I'm backed up on answering PMs. I'll answer them all later today.

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm rooting for Mister Robinson. I think David laid the foundation of defensive minded basketball as well as team unison and heart.

*edit

Also Steve Smith might be a good addition. We did pay him more in 2 years than the Hawks did all 4 where he got his name.

urunobili
08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
My Top 10

D-Rob should be First
TD second
Pop Third
Manu or TP 4th and 5th
Bruce
Elliott
AJ
Malik
Rober Horry
Brent Barry

angel_luv
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Kevin Willis?

tav1
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Luis Scola?

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 08:24 AM
My Top 10

D-Rob should be First
TD second
Pop Third
Manu or TP 4th and 5th
Bruce
Elliott
AJ
Malik
Rober Horry
Brent Barry

Hi, I'm George Gervin.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi, I'm George Gervin.

:lol

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
My Top 10

D-Rob should be First
TD second
Pop Third
Manu or TP 4th and 5th
Bruce
Elliott
AJ
Malik
Rober Horry
Brent Barry

Hi, my name is James Silas.

urunobili
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi, my name is James Silas.

ups forgot to include both ICE and Silas... probably because i never saw them play but i know how big they are for the history of the franchise... anyhow i correctly stated "MY Top 10" and that makes a personal point of view not the owner of the truth or trying to be... it seems your dream/fear of trolling in this thread has just begun... and guess who started it?

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 08:33 AM
ups forgot to include both ICE and Silas... probably because i never saw them play but i know how big they are for the history of the franchise... anyhow i correctly stated "MY Top 10" and that makes a personal point of view not the owner of the truth or trying to be... it seems your dream/fear of trolling in this thread has just begun... and guess who started it?

You know shit about the Spurs. And I didn't start anything. I was just making a very wonderful point. Get over it.

This is what I was saying earlier in this thread. Trolls and people that know zero history are going to fuck this all up.

urunobili
08-15-2008, 08:36 AM
You know shit about the Spurs. And I didn't start anything. I was just making a very wonderful point. Get over it.

This is what I was saying earlier in this thread. Trolls and people that know zero history are going to fuck this all up.

you definitively are underestimating some poster's knowledge about the spurs and mine... i ain't no troll and i have done my homework... my fresh memory made me choose those players because those are the ones contemporarily to me... trolls cannot be avoided but you could be a little more respectful with the people who is trying to contribute... calling me out for an innocent omission talks about what you are made of and all about... lame

Biggems
08-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Just give me a top 3

Gervin
Robinson
Duncan

these are the only 3 sure fire HOFers based on their Spurs careers right now. Manu will be a HOFer but not solely because of his Spurs career, it will be because of his entire professional basketball career.

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 08:46 AM
you definitively are underestimating some poster's knowledge about the spurs and mine... i ain't no troll and i have done my homework... my fresh memory made me choose those players because those are the ones contemporarily to me... trolls cannot be avoided but you could be a little more respectful with the people who is trying to contribute... calling me out for an innocent omission talks about what you are made of and all about... lame

aww poor urunobili

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/cry-baby-girl-face.jpg

It'll be okay sweetie.

Biggems
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

Each day, there will be a new poll where SpursTalk can vote to elect the next player on the list. For example, on the first, we will vote on spot number one. On the second day, it'll spot number two. And so on.

The Express-News recently listed the top 30 Spurs and I thought their results were pretty weak. I'm confident SpursTalk can come up with a much better list. We'll start the voting tomorrow (Saturday) and one spot per day will make the voting end right around the start of preseason.

The first order of business is coming up with a preliminary list. Here are 67 names I put together. Feel free to suggest addition players, coaches or owners. Starting with approximately 75 names would probably be best.

Allan Bristow
Alvin Robertson
Angelo Drossos
Antoine Carr
Antonio Daniels
Artis Gilmore
Avery Johnson
Billy Paultz
Bob Bass
Bob Hill
Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Chuck Person
Coby Dietrick
Dale Ellis
Dave Corzine
Dave Greenwood
David Robinson
Dennis Rodman
Derek Anderson
Doug Moe
Edgar Jones
Fabricio Oberto
Frank Brickowski
Gene Banks
George Gervin
Greg Anderson
Gregg Popovich
Hank Egan
James Silas
Jaren Jackson
Johnny Dawkins
Johnny Moore
Larry Brown
Larry Kenon
Malik Rose
Manu Ginobili
Mario Elie
Mark Olberding
Michael Finley
Mike Budenholzer
Mike Gale
Mike Mitchell
Paul Griffin
Peter Holt
PJ Carlesimo
Rasho Nesterovic
RC Buford
Red McCombs
Rich Jones
Robert Horry
Robert McDermott
Rod Strickland
Sam Presti
Sean Elliott
Stan Albeck
Stephen Jackson
Steve Kerr
Swen Nater
Terry Cummings
Terry Porter
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Vinny Del Negro
Walter Berry
Will Perdue
Willie Anderson

Anyone else? Thanks.

The original list sucks........you are missing so many great names from the Spurs past...names that, quite frankly without them, would leave the Spurs legacy empty and quite tainted.....so now my list of the elite Spurs players....

Alfredrick Hughes
Helicopter Jones
Uwe Blab
Zarko Paspaj
Dewayne Schintzius
Bill Curley
Jon Sunvold
Vernon Maxwell
Greg Sutton
Swee Pea Lloyd Daniels
Derrick Dial
Charles Smith
Mengke Bateer
Rod Higgins
Carl Herrera
JR Reid
Luis Scola
Tiago Splitter
Mike Gist
Robertas Javtokas
Coffee Black

Bruno
08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Nazr Mohammed

DunkingDuncan
08-15-2008, 08:58 AM
What about John Beasley?

BTW I am new here, so hello everyone :toast

angel_luv
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Nazr Mohammed

Must be the Mark Cuban avatar talking.

angel_luv
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
What about John Beasley?

Hi and welcome. :)

urunobili
08-15-2008, 09:03 AM
aww poor urunobili

It'll be okay sweetie.

here goes your thread ruining act... :tu it is what you wanted at the very beginning... :toast

FlAVaK
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Kevin Willis?
Yeah, where is he? Er wird siegen!

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
What about John Beasley?

Welcome. :toast

Bruno
08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Must be the Mark Cuban avatar talking.

Nazr was one of the main piece of the 2005 title. He deserves to be a on the top75 list without a doubt.

timvp
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Nazr was one of the main piece of the 2005 title. He deserves to be a on the top75 list without a doubt.Agreed. That was a pretty major omission.

Devin Brown might be a borderline name . . .

DieMrBond
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
What, wheres the 'greatest Australian player ever' Andrew Gaze? ;)

But seriously, i'm interested in finding out where Pop, RC and Holt rank. It will be interesting to see where they go, according to spurstalk.

Btw, Mike Brown? Too short, or too cavalier?

timvp
08-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Btw, Mike Brown? Too short, or too cavalier?Not a bad idea. Stephen Jackson's personal coach might deserve a spot on the top 75.

Hmmm ... Chip Engelland? Eh.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Hmmm ... Chip Engelland?.

:tu

urunobili
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Mike D'Antoni anyone? :lol

urunobili
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
George Karl? Doc Rivers? :lol

angel_luv
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Nazr was one of the main piece of the 2005 title. He deserves to be a on the top75 list without a doubt.

I'll yield to your judgment on that.

samikeyp
08-15-2008, 10:15 AM
If we are going to include owners on this list.....then Angelo Drossos and Red McCombs have to be #1. Without them, the Dallas Chapparals never move to S.A.

rascal
08-15-2008, 11:21 AM
My Top 10

D-Rob should be First
TD second
Pop Third
Manu or TP 4th and 5th
Bruce
Elliott
AJ
Malik
Rober Horry
Brent Barry

No Gervin needs to be in the top two. No Gervin, no Spurs in the NBA.

duncan228
08-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Fun stuff timvp. Thanks for putting it together.

urunobili
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM

i know i know... :depressed

i stated some other comments in the thread stating that i never saw him or Silas play so... that's why on a primary impulsive post i forgot them... :(

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
George Johnson, as one of the bruise brothers, shouldn't be omitted.

Cotton Fitzsimmons.

Spurminator
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Tim Derk?

manufor3
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
What about John Beasley?

welcome

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Danny Ferry

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
1. David Robinson-laid foundation for spurs basketball and attitude. one of the grestest
2. Tim Duncan-the greatest player to put on a spurs uniform. no question
3. George Gervin-put san antonio on the NBA map
4. Gregg Popovich-the defensive strategic genius that is "Pop"
5. Manu Ginobili-basketball intensity and accomplishments are unmatched. most exciting spurs player of all time
6. Tony Parker-led the spurs to 3 championships and earned a Finals MVP along the way

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Cliff Hagan, first coach of the Chaparrals. As a player-coach averaged 18 pts per game on that squad that went 46-32 in its first season and made the second round of the playoffs.

thispego
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
1. David Robinson-laid foundation for spurs basketball and attitude. one of the grestest
5. Manu Ginobili-basketball intensity and accomplishments are unmatched. most exciting spurs player of all time
6. Tony Parker-led the spurs to 3 championships and earned a Finals MVP along the way

:tu good start

FromWayDowntown
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Tim Derk?

I was going to say -- in this forum, wouldn't exclusion of The Coyote from the list be seen by some as particularly controversial, given The Coyote's contributions to the club's history?

spurschick
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
No Cherokee Parks? No Jack Haley? No Kiwi?

E20
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
LMAO It always make me lol when Angel Luv talks about basketball. Especially about Nazr. Her only gripe against Nazr is because he took the starting job from Rasho, which isn't really saying much because both were bad, but Rasho just sucked way harder than nazr did and we all know Angel Luv's addiction to european metro-players dick.

E20
08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
oh yeah here's my top ten.

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. George Gervin
4. Artis Gilmore
5. James Silas
6. Johnny Moore
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Tony Parker (I could see him eventually surpassing Manu if he continues the way he plays)
9. Sean Elliott

I orringally had one t on elliott
Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_

10. Bruce Bowen

Mr.Bottomtooth
LMAO It always make me lol when Angel Luv talks about basketball. Especially about Nazr. Her only gripe against Nazr is because he took the starting job from Rasho, which isn't really saying much because both were bad, but Rasho just sucked way harder than nazr did and we all know Angel Luv's addiction to european metro-players dick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
oh yeah here's my top ten.

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. George Gervin
4. Artis Gilmore
5. James Silas
6. Johnny Moore
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Tony Parker (I could see him eventually surpassing Manu if he continues the way he plays)
9. Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_
10. Bruce Bowen

:lmao

E20
08-15-2008, 01:27 PM
:lmao

No you misundertand on me on that. I intentionally did that at first for a lol, but then Irealized that things might get a little confusing so i edited my post.

EDIT: LOL who am I kidding i made the mistake of puting only one t at first then realized my mistake after seeing

Ocotillo
08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Like Chopper said, GJ.

Maybe Mychal Thompson.

For laughs Zarko Paspaj?

shelshor
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
No Cherokee Parks? No Jack Haley? No Kiwi?

This is top 50
Cherokee qualifies for the Bottom 25

samikeyp
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM

+1

DesignatedT
08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
1.Tim Duncan.

ShoogarBear
08-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Tom Nissalke.
John Lucas.

Tim Derk?

I knew you were whottt's troll.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised no one has said this. You guys are slacking.

James Gist.

ShoogarBear
08-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Also, you had Steve Kerr listed only once.

technoloid
08-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Here is my list of the 50 greatest Spurs of all Time.

I've limited my list to players. I know there have been great people in the front office including owners, gm's, coaches and the like but I did not include any of them here.

My list in alphabetical order:

1. Willie Anderson
2. Gene Banks
3. Brent Barry
4. Bruce Bowen
5. Frank Brickowski
6. Antoine Carr
7. Speedy Claxton
8. Dave Corzine
9. Terry Cummings
10 . Antonio Daniels
11. Johnny Dawkins
12. Vinny DelNegro
13. Coby Dietrick
14. Tim Duncan
15. Mario Ellie
16. Sean Elliott
17. Dale Ellis
18. Micheal Finely
19. George Gervin
20. Artis Gilmore
21. Manu Ginobili
22. David Greenwood
23. Robert Horry
24. Steven Jackson
25. Avery Johnson
26. Rich Jones
27. Larry Kenon
28. Steve Kerr
29. Vernon Maxwell
30. Mike Mitchell
31. Nazr Mohammed
32. Johnny Moore
33. Sven Nater
34. Fabrico Oberto
35. Mark Olberding
36. Tony Parker
37. Billy Paultz
38. Will Perdue
39. Chuch Person
40. Doc Rivers
41. Alvin Robertson
42. David Robinson
43. Dennis Rodman
44. Malik Rose
45. James Silas
46. Steve Smith
47. Rod Strickland
48. Hedu Turkoglu
49. Kevin Willis
50. Dominique Wilkins

So this is my list. I know it leans alot more toward the era beginning with the D. Rob era, but I didn't follow the Spurs as close prior to 89-90 season.

Joe Schmoogins
08-16-2008, 12:06 AM

spot on! :toast

timvp
08-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Allan Bristow
Alvin Robertson
Angelo Drossos
Antoine Carr
Antonio Daniels
Artis Gilmore
Avery Johnson
Billy Paultz
Bob Bass
Bob Hill
Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Chip Engelland
Chuck Person
Cliff Hagan
Coby Dietrick
Cotton Fitzsimmons
Dale Ellis
Danny Ferry
Dave Corzine
Dave Greenwood
David Robinson
Dennis Rodman
Derek Anderson
Doug Moe
Edgar Jones
Fabricio Oberto
Frank Brickowski
Gene Banks
George Gervin
George Johnson
Greg Anderson
Gregg Popovich
Hank Egan
James Silas
Jaren Jackson
John Lucas
Johnny Dawkins
Johnny Moore
Larry Brown
Larry Kenon
Malik Rose
Manu Ginobili
Mario Elie
Mark Olberding
Michael Finley
Mike Brown
Mike Budenholzer
Mike Gale
Mike Mitchell
Nazr Mohammed
Paul Griffin
Peter Holt
PJ Carlesimo
Rasho Nesterovic
RC Buford
Red McCombs
Rich Jones
Robert Horry
Robert McDermott
Rod Strickland
Sam Presti
Sean Elliott
Stan Albeck
Stephen Jackson
Steve Kerr
Swen Nater
Terry Cummings
Terry Porter
Tim Duncan
Tom Nissalke
Tony Parker
Vinny Del Negro
Walter Berry
Will Perdue
Willie Anderson

Alright, this is a nice set of 76 participants. Thanks for the help with the omissions.

Tim Derk was a good idea but if we open the door to Derk, we'd probably have to include announcers and maybe even prominent members of the Baseline Bums :lol

I'll make the first poll now . . .

manufor3
08-16-2008, 01:38 PM
n/m

sendman
08-16-2008, 02:50 PM
My name is UDRIH...BENO UDRIH.
I did shit with the Spurs, but I caused havoc on this board and ravaged women in your nightclubs.
P.S. I expect replays only from lonely jealous dudes with small...man purses.

Sean Cagney
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
aww poor urunobili

It'll be okay sweetie.

GOOD LORD thats an ugly azz baby :lol:lol:wow

KEDA
08-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Jay Howard BANG!!!!

Billy Schoenig???

Chris Duel??

Big Kev??

Stan Kelly??

The Dot Race?

The Baseline Bums?

The Water Cannon?

Eva Longoria Parker?

Fiesta Colors?

Silver Dancers?

and the wild card vote- "Y'all Ready For This?"

ShoogarBear
08-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Damn, can't believe I forgot this, but if you're going to include one guy from the media, it would have to be Terry Stembridge.

Taco
10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I was going to say -- in this forum, wouldn't exclusion of The Coyote from the list be seen by some as particularly controversial, given The Coyote's contributions to the club's history?

IF YOU ARE INCLUDING OWNERS AND COACHES WHY NOT THE COYOTE?

HE IS AFTER ALL A HALL OF FAMER

http://www.creativecoversforgolf.com/refresh/data/210-coyote_230_070910.jpg