PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you're the FO

pad300
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
All right, it's Aug 15, Pargo just signed on in Russia. What do you do if you run the FO?

Current Roster
Bigs - Duncan, Bonner, Mahinmi, Thomas, Oberto, Tolliver (Partially Guaranteed)
Wings - Ginobili, Bowen, Mason, Udoka,
PG's - Parker, Vaughn

Available Draft Rights - Hill, Hairston
__________________________________________________ _________________

What would I do? Well, IMO, we will carry 14 players. We need 1 more PG, beyond those signed. We need another Wing, possibly a 3/4 tweener... We'v had a lot of trouble defending those recent years...

1) Make offers to Nick Fazekas and Elton Brown of the same partially guaranteed contract that Tolliver has. One of 3 will be kept post training camp. Call it 300 grand extra expense, but it will take us nowhere near lux tax, and will create some competition for the big man spots in camp. I am personally not sold on Tolliver. I want to see more than what he has shown so far...
2) PG situation. a) Sign Hill, get it over with. He's 3ed PG & on the Toros until he shows enough to unseat the 2nd rank PG. he'll get a shot in training camp b) Offer Sam Cassell a contract (he's a UFA). Vet Min, 2 years, 2nd year has both team and player options. Put a deadline on the offer, as we need to resolve the situation. If accepted, Vaughn is trade bait or cut after training camp. Again, a salary hit, but won't put us anywhere near lux tax... Cassell > Vaughn, but does he want to come to SA? I'm surprised he hasn't already resigned with BOS.
3) At the wing... My best guess is to try and work a trade for Dorell Wright. Possible SA outs - Bonner, Vaughn, Finley via S&t, 2nd round picks? (we have 3 next year IIRC, ours, PHX [Hairston Trade], HOU [Scola Trade]).
SA in - Wright

Contract details are highly variable, depending on how much money it takes to get Dorrell to sign on... Say $4 Million per year start - would work out for both sides.

SA Out - Bonner, Vaughn
SA in - Wright

4) Assuming Bonner is gone for Wright, consider going looking for another big to compete in training camp. I think Pop might want one more veteran. Still if 2 of Fazekas/Brown/Tolliver were on the roster I wouldn't be to unhappy.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't sign anyone else and just wait for other teams to decide to cut/trade/dump players and salaries as the season goes on and take advantage of those opportunities.

There's no one else out there right now worth a contract.

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't sign anyone else and just wait for other teams to decide to cut/trade/dump players and salaries as the season goes on and take advantage of those opportunities.

right about that...whats the worse that can happen? we go lottery next season, grab a big who can playout timmys yrs or a guard to playout with manu. parker will be around, so whats one yr. of chilling? we've done it before and look how well it turned out. :wow

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
the hard thing is no one would want to trade a really good player for a bad contract to a championship contender.

Extra Stout
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
If I'm the front office I quickly put together a promotion celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Spurs first championship. The recent past is clearly more attractive than the present.

1Parker1
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd sit pat, hope that the Big 3 and Bowen stay healthy all season long, and wait to see if there will be any good midseason trade moves we can make.

ducks
08-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I sign the rookies to a deals
then go
can cut them later if need be

Bruno
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Trade Bonner+Udoka+Vaughn+Johnson(S&T) for Nocioni. Bulls are looking to dump him and given his contract, this offer could be the best they get.

Plays with a 10 players rotation :
Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Mason
Bowen/Nocioni
Oberto/Mahinmi
Duncan/Thomas

Fill the rest of the roster with prospect and cheap vets with a good attitude.
Don't really matter who Spurs signs but it could be something like : Mike Finley, Scott Pollard, Darrell Armstrong, Anthony Tolliver and Malik Hairston.

wildbill2u
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
All right, it's Aug 15, Pargo just signed on in Russia. What do you do if you run the FO?

Current Roster
Bigs - Duncan, Bonner, Mahinmi, Thomas, Oberto, Tolliver (Partially Guaranteed)
Wings - Ginobili, Bowen, Mason, Udoka,
PG's - Parker, Vaughn

Available Draft Rights - Hill, Hairston
__________________________________________________ _________________

What would I do? Well, IMO, we will carry 14 players. We need 1 more PG, beyond those signed. We need another Wing, possibly a 3/4 tweener... We'v had a lot of trouble defending those recent years...

1) Make offers to Nick Fazekas and Elton Brown of the same partially guaranteed contract that Tolliver has. One of 3 will be kept post training camp. Call it 300 grand extra expense, but it will take us nowhere near lux tax, and will create some competition for the big man spots in camp. I am personally not sold on Tolliver. I want to see more than what he has shown so far...
2) PG situation. a) Sign Hill, get it over with. He's 3ed PG & on the Toros until he shows enough to unseat the 2nd rank PG. he'll get a shot in training camp b) Offer Sam Cassell a contract (he's a UFA). Vet Min, 2 years, 2nd year has both team and player options. Put a deadline on the offer, as we need to resolve the situation. If accepted, Vaughn is trade bait or cut after training camp. Again, a salary hit, but won't put us anywhere near lux tax... Cassell > Vaughn, but does he want to come to SA? I'm surprised he hasn't already resigned with BOS.
3) At the wing... My best guess is to try and work a trade for Dorell Wright. Possible SA outs - Bonner, Vaughn, Finley via S&t, 2nd round picks? (we have 3 next year IIRC, ours, PHX [Hairston Trade], HOU [Scola Trade]).
SA in - Wright

Contract details are highly variable, depending on how much money it takes to get Dorrell to sign on... Say $4 Million per year start - would work out for both sides.

SA Out - Bonner, Vaughn
SA in - Wright

4) Assuming Bonner is gone for Wright, consider going looking for another big to compete in training camp. I think Pop might want one more veteran. Still if 2 of Fazekas/Brown/Tolliver were on the roster I wouldn't be to unhappy.

Please go on vacation. You've fucked up enough for one summer.

TheMadHatter
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
hang the noose around my neck and kick out the chair from underneath me

pad300
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Please go on vacation. You've fucked up enough for one summer.

So, you think the FO should stand pat and go on vacation... Great suggestion there Billy...Now you may not like my suggestions, but you really need to make some of your own to sound like something more useful than Princess Pimp.

hang the noose around my neck and kick out the chair from underneath me

Hey Lakers fan, give me your address and I will come around help you get all set, and then I'll kick the chair out from under you myself...

Duncan2177
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Go up to Peter Holt and say you suck.

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Tim Duncan must be saying:

"I left money on the table for this?"

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Tim Duncan must be saying:

"I left money on the table for this?"

he agreed to nearly $11 million less because it could potentially afford the Spurs greater flexibility to pursue free agents after the 2009-10 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-tim102907

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
If Jannero Pargo doesnt want to come to the spurs, what makes us think that Bosh,Wade or Stoudemire would come?

but its good to be optimistic...sooooo :flag:

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
If Jannero Pargo doesnt want to come to the spurs, what makes us think that Bosh,Wade or Stoudemire would come?

Same could be said about Pargo not wanting to come back to the Hornets, yet they were able to acquire Posey.

DROB4EVER
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I would go after K Synder, and look to dump bonner. Then I would try to sign a true center like Barron, Ratliff, hairison. All could be had cheap and are proven solid player.

T Park
08-15-2008, 07:17 PM

I agree.

The only one that I like thats available is Giricek cause hes a solid defender and his shooting is solid as well.

I just think hes gonna go for the euro money.

T Park
08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Go up to Peter Holt and say you suck.

Do you have any concept of this thing called a salary cap?

T Park
08-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Trade Bonner+Udoka+Vaughn+Johnson(S&T) for Nocioni. Bulls are looking to dump him and given his contract, this offer could be the best they get.

Plays with a 10 players rotation :
Parker/Hill
Ginobili/Mason
Bowen/Nocioni
Oberto/Mahinmi
Duncan/Thomas

Fill the rest of the roster with prospect and cheap vets with a good attitude.
Don't really matter who Spurs signs but it could be something like : Mike Finley, Scott Pollard, Darrell Armstrong, Anthony Tolliver and Malik Hairston.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Problem is, I don't think thats enough talent for the Bulls to take back.

completely deck
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Tsk tsk tsk. These threads are always funny because you know that the most logical front office decision is what is most likely going to happen. Yet you have guys like the OP and others looking to make deals that no one in their right mind would do.

nil.ball
08-15-2008, 07:21 PM
man if run the FO i ll buy a Ferrari tomorrow and pick up couple of cheerleaders on my way to the beach!

Tully365
08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
right about that...whats the worse that can happen? we go lottery next season, grab a big who can playout timmys yrs or a guard to playout with manu. parker will be around, so whats one yr. of chilling? we've done it before and look how well it turned out. :wow

Whoa.

DROB4EVER
08-15-2008, 11:56 PM

100mil is alot more than 2 mil. Pargo is 28 and has been a min player, so Im sure he just wants to set himself for life and make as much as he can over the next couple years.

From what they project the cap to be in 2010 we could offer 2 max deals to go with parker duncan and Ian and hill. Or the more likely situation, 1 max guy and 2 other very good players.

wisnub
08-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Keep saving money and use the profit for banging local whores in every city in America....around the us in one season :bking :married:

wisnub
08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Wait until 201o, sign Bosh provided we got cap space and if the deals went off...run to Peter Holt, kick him in the nut and say: here's come the Holtcrane

Solid D
08-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Keep saving money and use the profit for banging local whores in every city in America....around the us in one season :bking :married:

There is much more to life than these things, wisnub. If this goes unrealized, then emptiness is sure to follow you like your shadow.