PDA

View Full Version : Burns: Western Conference Rankings (SI.com)

duncan228
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/15/west.rankings/

Western Conference rankings
Marty Burns

We've already evaluated the Eastern Conference based on the offseason moves to this point. Now let's assess the West.

The West has been remarkably quiet so far -- at least among the top clubs. Other than the Rockets (who have acquired Ron Artest from the Kings), no elite team has really made a big move yet. It will be interesting to see if a top contender with tradable assets such as the Lakers or Jazz makes a deal to try to bolster its chances now or whether it stands pat.

At any rate, here's how we see the conference at the moment:

1. Lakers: The defending conference champs have had a mixed summer, re-signing Sasha Vujacic but losing reserve forward Ronny Turiaf (via free agency to Warriors). Turiaf's departure could be a significant blow, as L.A.'s reserve corps played a big role in last season's run to the Finals. The Lakers also lost out in the Artest sweepstakes, meaning Lamar Odom might be back after all. That's not necessarily bad, but it puts more pressure on 20-year-old Andrew Bynum to be a force under the rim next season in his return from a knee injury. Even so, the Lakers still have Kobe Bryant and that's enough to merit keeping them at No. 1 -- at least for now.

2. Rockets: It's tempting to put them ahead of L.A., now that they have Artest to pair with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. If Artest behaves, and T-Mac/Yao stay healthy, the Rockets could be that good. Keep in mind, they did post a 22-game winning streak last season. They also signed free agent Brent Barry to bolster their bench (and replace Bobby Jackson, who went to Sacramento in the Artest deal). But until we see how the volatile Artest gets along with his new teammates, we'll slot them here.

3. Hornets: Another legitimate contender for the top spot, they added free-agent forward James Posey (last seen helping the Celtics to the NBA title) to a club that won 56 games a year ago and reached the conference semifinals. Along with Chris Paul, David West, Peja Stojakovic and Tyson Chandler, it should put New Orleans right back near the top of the standings again. But the Hornets are about to lose key reserve Jannero Pargo in free agency, and it remains to be seen how they will handle the pressure of raised expectations next season.

4. Jazz: Their biggest move (outside of selecting center Kostas Koufos in the first round of the draft) has been to acquire veteran point guard Brevin Knight in a trade with the Clippers. Knight should provide quality backup for Deron Williams, but it's not as if he's going to push Utah over the top in the West. Still, the Jazz have a lot of weapons with Williams, Carlos Boozer, Andrei Kirilenko, Mehmet Okur, et al., and they know how to run that Jerry Sloan system. Even if they don't make a major trade, they should be right back in the thick of things.

5. Spurs: Only a fool would count out a team with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker (especially in an odd-numbered year), but there is certainly reason to think San Antonio might slip a bit in 2008-09 -- at least in the regular season. To their aging core the Spurs have added free-agent guard Roger Mason, who is coming off a nice year with the Wizards, and 2005 first-round pick Ian Mahinmi, who averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in the D-League last season. They also re-signed Kurt Thomas, and are waiting to see about Michael Finley and Robert Horry, but it looks as if this San Antonio team will be pretty much the same as a season ago -- only a year older.

6. Mavericks: Mark Cuban's team has been surprisingly quiet, with the most buzz being generated by the trade rumors involving Josh Howard. Dallas did reacquire center DeSagana Diop (via free agency from the Nets) and took a flier on former Slam Dunk champion Gerald Green, who finished last season out of the league after the Rockets waived him in March. Of course, the Mavs' big change came on the bench after the season when Rick Carlisle was hired to replace Avery Johnson.

7. Trail Blazers: One of last season's big surprises, the Blazers didn't want to tinker too much with their roster. They added forward Ike Diogu and rookie guard Jerryd Bayless in a trade with the Pacers for Jarrett Jack, and signed Spanish guard Rudy Fernandez, but general manager Kevin Pritchard otherwise pretty much stood pat. With Greg Oden set to join Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland appears primed to build on its 41-win campaign and return to the playoffs for the first time in six years.

8. Suns: Like the Mavs, these one-time top title contenders are hoping a new coach (Terry Porter) can find a way to incorporate a big-name star (Shaquille O'Neal) and earn some kind of payoff for last season's big midseason blockbuster trade. But also like the Mavs, the Suns haven't done much this summer to add pieces. Matt Barnes comes over from the Warriors to provide scoring off the bench, big man Robin Lopez was drafted to help add toughness and the Suns are working on signing second-round pick Goran Dragic of the Spanish league to back up Steve Nash. With a new coach, an aging Shaq and a slowing Nash, the Suns could be in for a fall.

9. Nuggets: After yet another first-round playoff ouster, it's no surprise that they might take steps to break it down and start over. GM Mark Warkentien seems to be paving the road for a big trade, perhaps next year. It's the only way to explain the giveaway trade of Marcus Camby to the Clippers while adding only role players Renaldo Balkman (trade with Knicks) and Chris (Birdman)Andersen (free agent). The Nuggets will still be competitive this season with Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Kenyon Martin, but they also might implode.

10. Clippers: No team has been more active in the offseason. Gone are leading scorers Elton Brand (Sixers) and Corey Maggette (Warriors). In their place are free-agent signees Baron Davis (formerly of the Warriors), Ricky Davis (Heat), Jason Williams (Heat) and Brian Skinner (Suns), as well as Camby. The Clippers probably still won't be good enough to make the playoffs, but they will be fun to watch.

11. Warriors: The sudden departure of Davis to the Clippers left them scrambling, and they settled for signing free agents Maggette and Turiaf. The good news is they also managed to re-sign Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Kelenna Azubuike, while acquiring a decent point guard prospect in former Nets first-round pick Marcus Williams. Don Nelson still has firepower, but the loss of his catalyst Davis appears to be a fatal blow for Golden State's playoff hopes.

12. Kings: The loss of Artest signals they are (wisely) thinking of the future. Bobby Jackson might not be as talented as Artest, but he's a decent backup and a more stable presence in the locker room. President Geoff Petrie also re-signed point guard Beno Udrih, one of their few bright spots from a year ago. Along with Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia, Spencer Hawes and John Salmons, in addition to 2008 first-round pick Jason Thompson, the Kings have put together a young nucleus that as it develops will get them back in the playoff race.

13. Timberwolves: Mike Miller (formerly of the Grizzlies) and rookie forward Kevin Love headline the big offseason changes. Beleaguered team vice president Kevin McHale also picked up a future No. 1 pick and cash, as well as reserves Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth, from the Sixers without having to give up any bodies in return. The Timberwolves still have a long way to go to get back to respectability, but the presence of the veteran Miller should join with rising star Al Jefferson to at least keep them moving in the right direction.

14. Oklahoma City: They made a huge offseason move, literally, shifting the entire franchise from Seattle to the Plains. On the personnel front, GM Sam Presti brought in veteran forwards Joe Smith and Desmond Mason (via a three-team trade with the Cavaliers and Bucks) for Luke Ridnour and Adrian Griffin. He also added two prospects in first-round picks Russell Westbrook and D.J. White. Smith and Mason (who played collegiately at Oklahoma State) should provide some much-needed leadership to Kevin Durant and Co., but the franchise's debut season in OKC still won't feature a lot of Ws in the standings.

15. Grizzlies: They tried to appease fans still angry over last season's giveaway of Pau Gasol by signing ... Marc Gasol. Pau's 7-foot younger brother, who had been playing professionally in Spain, is actually a solid prospect who should be able to contribute right away. Memphis also obtained rookie guard O.J. Mayo on draft night (in the deal with the Timberwolves for Miller). With Gasol and Mayo joining Mike Conley and Rudy Gay, the Grizzlies have an exciting young core around which to build. But look for more growing pains in '08-09.

CubanMustGo
08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey now that Fin is coming back, Burns can drop us to 6.

1Parker1
08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Ehh, I agree with the rankings. Though I'd probably put the Blazers ahead of the Mavs and Suns at this point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey now that Fin is coming back, Burns can drop us to 6.

:lol

ThunderStix®
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Those are pretty fair rankings as of right now.

I love how he owned the Suns by putting them below the Blazers. :lol

lurker23
08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
To their aging core the Spurs have added free-agent guard Roger Mason, who is coming off a nice year with the Wizards, and 2005 first-round pick Ian Mahinmi, who averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in the D-League last season. They also re-signed Kurt Thomas, and are waiting to see about Michael Finley and Robert Horry, but it looks as if this San Antonio team will be pretty much the same as a season ago -- only a year older.

It always amazes me how people can, within the same paragraph, write statements that directly contradict each other.

MoSpur
08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Not too surprising. When we're the favorites its never good for us.

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree with the rankings for the regular season..I think we're definitely better than Utah though, no question..I'd say we're slightly better than New Orleans as well..

this season is gonna be up to Hill and Mahinmi and if they can inject some youth..we need some young role players like that..

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 04:10 PM
These rankings are pretty fair, all 4 teams ahead of us seem like better teams. I wouldn't be suprised if this team ends up closer to 8 than 4...

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
i would put the spurs at 4 and jazz at 5

baseline bum
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I wonder if we'll see a second whining rant from coachmac87 about how anyone who doesn't have the Clippers in the playoffs is a fucking retard.

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
The Jazz and Rockets are not better.

Once again to the same people pronouncing the Rockets great.

Two words

Tracy

McGrady.

tmtcsc
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
How the hell do you put the Rockets at # 2 ? Because of Artest ? Nah, don't see it.

The Lakers at # 1 after losing a good bench/energy guy in Turiaf ? Uh - huh. They'll take a step back.

My Rankings for Reg Season:

1. Hornets
2. Spurs
3. Lakers
4. Jazz
5. Rockets

That's about right for the regular season. We're going to be fine. The playoffs is a whole other deal.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Interesting that the West's big three are now considered the 5th, 6th and 8th best teams.

I think the Spurs prefer to be underestimated.

manufor3
08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
It always amazes me how people can, within the same paragraph, write statements that directly contradict each other.

i know, there really are idiots out there

The_Game
08-15-2008, 06:41 PM
How the hell do you put the Rockets at # 2 ? Because of Artest ? Nah, don't see it.

The Lakers at # 1 after losing a good bench/energy guy in Turiaf ? Uh - huh. They'll take a step back.

My Rankings for Reg Season:

1. Hornets
2. Spurs
3. Lakers
4. Jazz
5. Rockets

That's about right for the regular season. We're going to be fine. The playoffs is a whole other deal.

Please, Turiaf is hardly a difference maker...imfact I'm sure Josh Powell can help replace what Turiaf brought to L.A. Besides having a healthly Bynum back along makes they better than last season.

what the hell have spurs done to be ranked ahead of the lakers? spurs did nothing to improve this summer at all and they did afterall lose to the lakers in 6 games in the playoffs...it's foolish to put spurs ahead of L.A right now

iggypop123
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
the mavs are ranked too high even if historically carlisle's teams improve their winning percentage. rockets are way to high because of the what ifs the writer is explaining . hornets ahead of rockets and then spurs ahead of jazz. kirelenko and okur were horrible at the end of the season

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
the Lakers are clearly the best team in the West going into the season..they were the best last year and they add Bynum..there's no way they aren't #1..like The Game said, Josh Powell almost replaces Turiaf..regardless, Turiaf wasn't going to get big minutes with Bynum returning anyways..

your_pimp
08-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Two words

Tracy

McGrady. Yes they are better than your sorry spurs fat fuck

Sean Cagney
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
These rankings are pretty fair, all 4 teams ahead of us seem like better teams. I wouldn't be suprised if this team ends up closer to 8 than 4...

With the big three you think they drop closer to 8? Did you forget how good those guys alone are? Damn you guys think we have lost that much in a year now? I know others got better, but MY GOD 8th?

Joe Schmoogins
08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
wow i feel like i've read this same assessment the past 4 years... gets better every time!

saxman
08-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I also agree with the rankings, but only for the regular season.

screw_ston713
08-15-2008, 11:29 PM
LOL artest makes a 55 win rockets team worst. They were 2 games shy of the num 1 seed yet its impossible for rox to finish num 2. Hating LOL:nope:ihit

DROB4EVER
08-15-2008, 11:47 PM
What a wack job! Noone should have the Spurs lower than second. The lakers get a slight nod because they did beat us last yr, but NO is gonna find they cant sneak up on anyone and will regret losing Pargo.

Posey is aging faster than Finley did and I beleive he will be a bust of a pick up.

Utah??? They are good enough for fourth.

Houston will need to stay healthy but could be 3rd or 5th.

Dallas will not make the playoffs!!! Unless Portland and GS self destruct, if they sneak in it will be 8th seed.

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Please, Turiaf is hardly a difference maker...imfact I'm sure Josh Powell can help replace what Turiaf brought to L.A. Besides having a healthly Bynum back along makes they better than last season.

what the hell have spurs done to be ranked ahead of the lakers? spurs did nothing to improve this summer at all and they did afterall lose to the lakers in 6 games in the playoffs...it's foolish to put spurs ahead of L.A right now

What do you mean what did the Spurs do ? We got younger and we added a solid FA in Mason to help the scoring from the bench and to help Manu get some extra rest.

Parker / Hill / Vaughn
Manu / Mason / Finley
Bowen / Udoka / That dude from Summer League
K. Thomas / Oberto / Mhinmi
Tim Duncan / Bonner

As long as Duncan, Parker and Manu are healthy, we'll compete for the title.
We added some nice pieces and I'm sure we'll be solid again.

The Lakers were exposed as the buch of cupcakes they really are (except for Kobe).

We also retained Kurt Thomas who will be a better contributor with a full season under his belt.

What did the Lakers do ? Yes, Bynum will be back but we still don't know how fast he'll get his game together. WE LOST BECAUSE MANU WAS INJURED. That's it. The Lakers are trash and the Celtics proved that. The most impressive series the Lakers won was against the Jazz. We weren't nearly good enough to overcome having our leading scorer not be able to play his best. Bynum would have helped but his new found fame and hype is silly. He's still a big, young dude with lots of upside.

wisnub
08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
40 points in Finals

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 12:40 AM
the Lakers are clearly the best team in the West going into the season..they were the best last year and they add Bynum..there's no way they aren't #1..like The Game said, Josh Powell almost replaces Turiaf..regardless, Turiaf wasn't going to get big minutes with Bynum returning anyways..

The Lakers are clearly the best team in the West ? They still have only 2 players on their entire roster with Rings.

Last year the Lakers, Spurs and Hornets finished with identical records or pretty damn close.

The Hornets picked up Posey which was a nice move and the Lakers lost Turiaf and resigned Sasha. They will have to hope Bynum improves quickly from his injury and gets back on track to getting better as a player.

The Spurs dropped or lost 2 of their oldest players, signed a solid, young FA in Mason and retained 2 key vets in Finley and Thomas. They will also be adding a young big to the rotation with Mahinmi. I'm not sure if he's good enough or ready just yet, but he'll be a young body to throw out on the floor.

Sean Cagney
08-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Yes they are better than your sorry spurs fat fuck

And we are and obviously have better for years than your sorry azz damn Suns you fukkin idiot.... Why do you continue to talk trash to Spurs fans as if your team has been a battle for ours or beat us? Your team is trash, get over it Shaq killed it.......

lefty
08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
WTF????

Hornets will be better than Lakers next season:

- good experience from last year' series vs Spurs

- added Posey

Kai
08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
WTF????

Hornets will be better than Lakers next season:

- good experience from last year' series vs Spurs

- added Posey

The Lakers are still young, most of their team besides Kobe, Odom and maybe 1 or two others had never even been out of the first round. They have gained just as much experience as the Hornets. Wait, nevermind. They've gained more thanks to you guys beating them in the 3rd round while the Lakers cruised to the finals.

Also, they've added Bynum.
Bynum >>> Posey

rj215
08-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Burns needs to put the crack pipe down. No way the Jazz are better than the Spurs. Boozer suuuuuucks. He's lucky he has D. Will to carry his sorry ass.

m33p0
08-16-2008, 05:48 AM
To their aging core the Spurs...
There's that word again.

The_Game
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
What do you mean what did the Spurs do ? We got younger and we added a solid FA in Mason to help the scoring from the bench and to help Manu get some extra rest.

Parker / Hill / Vaughn
Manu / Mason / Finley
Bowen / Udoka / That dude from Summer League
K. Thomas / Oberto / Mhinmi
Tim Duncan / Bonner

As long as Duncan, Parker and Manu are healthy, we'll compete for the title.
We added some nice pieces and I'm sure we'll be solid again.

The Lakers were exposed as the buch of cupcakes they really are (except for Kobe).

We also retained Kurt Thomas who will be a better contributor with a full season under his belt.

What did the Lakers do ? Yes, Bynum will be back but we still don't know how fast he'll get his game together. WE LOST BECAUSE MANU WAS INJURED. That's it. The Lakers are trash and the Celtics proved that. The most impressive series the Lakers won was against the Jazz. We weren't nearly good enough to overcome having our leading scorer not be able to play his best. Bynum would have helped but his new found fame and hype is silly. He's still a big, young dude with lots of upside.

just because we got younger doesn't mean we added anything decent. Mason is not an impact player at all...wow getting 9 points per game on a trash team..big freaking deal. the guy is a bum.

the manu excuse is a load of bull, seems people like you were fine when we beat the suns when amare got suspended..guess that didn't matter yet this manu injury does. you can't blame injury, thats manu's style...he is never going to be healthly and the fact the lakers were without bynum and ariza against us means you can't use the injury excuse at all.

lakers aren't trash they are the best team in the west PERIOD...and may well win the title this year with more experience under their belt and a healthly bynum and ariza.

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 10:42 AM
just because we got younger doesn't mean we added anything decent. Mason is not an impact player at all...wow getting 9 points per game on a trash team..big freaking deal. the guy is a bum.

the manu excuse is a load of bull, seems people like you were fine when we beat the suns when amare got suspended..guess that didn't matter yet this manu injury does. you can't blame injury, thats manu's style...he is never going to be healthly and the fact the lakers were without bynum and ariza against us means you can't use the injury excuse at all.

lakers aren't trash they are the best team in the west PERIOD...and may well win the title this year with more experience under their belt and a healthly bynum and ariza.

Stop saying "we" you silly Faker fan. Your team sux ass and is finished. I can't believe I'm even replying to your crap at this point. Someone fix this joker's Fav. Team and avatar please. Damn, I feel like a rookie for even trying to enter into a discussion with you.

Go play on Lakersground and GTFOOH. Your Fakers suck and got humiliated. Mason will be a solid addition to this team that can make shots and defend. His addition will help preserve Manu's minutes. Damn, I can't wait until a healthy Manu slaps your sorry team around.

Gasol is soft as tissue and Odom is a mental midget. The Spurs will be back but it wont be the Lakers weak shit challenging us, it'll come from a real team like the Hornets. Bynum....that's funny. We own Phoenix too, or did you miss that ? Amare or no Amare.

The_Game
08-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Stop saying "we" you silly Faker fan. Your team sux ass and is finished. I can't believe I'm even replying to your crap at this point. Someone fix this joker's Fav. Team and avatar please. Damn, I feel like a rookie for even trying to enter into a discussion with you.

Go play on Lakersground and GTFOOH. Your Fakers suck and got humiliated. Mason will be a solid addition to this team that can make shots and defend. His addition will help preserve Manu's minutes. Damn, I can't wait until a healthy Manu slaps your sorry team around.

Gasol is soft as tissue and Odom is a mental midget. The Spurs will be back but it wont be the Lakers weak shit challenging us, it'll come from a real team like the Hornets. Bynum....that's funny. We own Phoenix too, or did you miss that ? Amare or no Amare.

How old are you? 10? seriously your lack of basketball knowledge is funny. You can't debate so you use the childish "lakers suck" Gasol is soft" blah blah blah...infact I'm sure you would say this crap about any team that you know are clearly better than the Spurs.

stop posting on the internet unless you actually learn how to talk basketball...right now you are in denial and come off as very clueless..which you are.

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
You're a clueless little child. Who else would claim to be a Spurs fan by saying "we" all the while posting negative garbage and weak takes as a true Faker fan?

Your basketball knowledge is limited to the same homerism you have accused others of. Don't give me your " I almost made it to the Final 8 in NCAA" crap and lies either. You are a Laker fraud. And yes, I kept it simple so you could understand. Spurs GOOD, lakers BAD.

The Lakers beat us with their geritol, legend team in 04, fair and square and without a question of who wanted it more. Fisher's shot was not the reason the Spurs lost.

This past year, we had a team IF HEALTHY (Don't even mention the Bynum BS again. Its not even close to Ginobili's injuries that rendered him ineffective. The Lakers made up for Bynum's loss with Gasol.) that should have represented the West.

Dallas' team in '06 was much more of a concern than this Lakers wannabe squad. The Lakers are a 1 man show..still. Odom, Gasol or Bynum won't change that. The Lakers deserved to be embarassed like they were by the Celtics.

You either win it all or you don't. It's first place and everyone else. So, if you want to take something good from your Laker's getting busted in the mouth, go ahead. But you won't beat the Spurs again with a healthy Manu.

Mason is not an impact player at all...wow getting 9 points per game on a trash team..big freaking deal. the guy is a bum.

That's some real basketball knowledge you gave us. Player A scores 9 points a game off the bench for a trash team, there for he is a bum. You need to learn the game before you come in here with your weak bullshit.

spursfan09
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM

Two words

Tracy

McGrady.

Yeah exactly and what about Yao also. Since when has been so healthy to play a whole season?

I guess these rankings are based on what looks good on paper, and not what teams have done in the pass.

coachmac87
08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
You're a clueless little child. Who else would claim to be a Spurs fan by saying "we" all the while posting negative garbage and weak takes as a true Faker fan?

Your basketball knowledge is limited to the same homerism you have accused others of. Don't give me your " I almost made it to the Final 8 in NCAA" crap and lies either. You are a Laker fraud. And yes, I kept it simple so you could understand. Spurs GOOD, lakers BAD.

The Lakers beat us with their geritol, legend team in 04, fair and square and without a question of who wanted it more. Fisher's shot was not the reason the Spurs lost.

This past year, we had a team IF HEALTHY (Don't even mention the Bynum BS again. Its not even close to Ginobili's injuries that rendered him ineffective. The Lakers made up for Bynum's loss with Gasol.) that should have represented the West.

Dallas' team in '06 was much more of a concern than this Lakers wannabe squad. The Lakers are a 1 man show..still. Odom, Gasol or Bynum won't change that. The Lakers deserved to be embarassed like they were by the Celtics.

You either win it all or you don't. It's first place and everyone else. So, if you want to take something good from your Laker's getting busted in the mouth, go ahead. But you won't beat the Spurs again with a healthy Manu.

Mason is not an impact player at all...wow getting 9 points per game on a trash team..big freaking deal. the guy is a bum.

That's some real basketball knowledge you gave us. Player A scores 9 points a game off the bench for a trash team, there for he is a bum. You need to learn the game before you come in here with your weak bullshit.

i have a little problem with you saying the spurs didnt lose that series because of fishers shot.....Didnt we make an awesome comeback to top it off with what would have been one of the best playoff shots ever(duncan over shaq) if fish didnt make his. Seriously, how can any team bounce back after something like that? Especially when you have to go back to LA and deal with the BS there....

tmtcsc
08-17-2008, 09:10 AM
i have a little problem with you saying the spurs didnt lose that series because of fishers shot.....Didnt we make an awesome comeback to top it off with what would have been one of the best playoff shots ever(duncan over shaq) if fish didnt make his. Seriously, how can any team bounce back after something like that? Especially when you have to go back to LA and deal with the BS there....

Sadly, Game 5 did end with one of the greatest playoff shots ever.
You made 2 points that reinforce the way I feel.

Point 1:We were at home in game 5, after losing 2 consecutive games to LA and got in to a deep hole. We should have never been in a position to have to come back. We came out unfocused and with little energy. Once the Spurs decided to play, it was too late. Tim made a great shot but Fisher should have never even gotten the ball.

Point 2: We still could have responded like a Champion and won 1 road game against them in Game 6. Instead, we didn't bring it. After proving we had what it took to beat them, we rolled up into a ball when they hit us back in the mouth and laid down.

Sorry, I just don't agree with that particular team being Championship worthy.

Last year, it was just the opposite. The best team in the West besides the Spurs may have been the Hornets. The represented a much a more difficult match-up problem than the Lakers. My point is, if we play the Lakers in round 2, we win and then we probably succumb to the Hornets in the Finals.
Manu gave everything he had and was done after game 3 of the WCF.

He has become a huge part of what we do and was our leading scorer. Because he tried to compete so hard and do what he can, he forced things on the court which resulted in bad turnovers and sloppy play.

I don't harbor any bad feelings toward him. He gave everything he had.

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah exactly and what about Yao also. Since when has been so healthy to play a whole season?

I guess these rankings are based on what looks good on paper, and not what teams have done in the pass.
Last year with Yao not even with the team for majority of the 2nd half of the season the Rockets in one of the toughest years in the west, won 55 games. Spurs fans are really over sensitive. Everyone has their own predictions of how the west will stack up.

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
So much Homerism. The predictions are for how teams will finish in the regular season. They are not including playoffs. Spurs bringing back basically the same squad from last year while adding some minor additions. Everyone see the competition getting more tough except the spurs fans. Sit up in this lil forum in denial with all ya homerism blinding your eyes.:depressed

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-17-2008, 09:32 AM
It's a Spurs forum, what do you expect?

If you want people to drool over the injury prone rockets, then head to a Rockets board :toast

Bartleby
08-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Funny thing is most of the posts from Spurs fans in this thread agree with where the Spurs are on this list, and several say they should be lower!

Houston fan needs to get over his own insecurities about his team.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Funny thing is most of the posts from Spurs fans in this thread agree with where the Spurs are on this list, and several say they should be lower!

Houston fan needs to get over his own insecurities about his team.

Seriously, they just need to accept their team is nothing but first round fodder. Trust me, it is much easier when you accept that fact :lol

I don't even expect the Nuggets to make the playoffs this season AND that means i won't be ticked if they miss out :lmao

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Every analyst, every beat writer etc in their rankings, rank the Rockets above Spurs. To say the Rockets by adding artest to a consistant 50 win ball club with injuries and all dosnt move them up the pecking order is hate.

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
i see threads popping up every day with spurs fans just excited to sign anybody who can dribble the ball. Lame

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
How many 1st rounds did Boston win prior to winning it all after getting kg and allen???

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:12 AM
How many 1st rounds did K.G win in his entire career before going to Boston???? Once.... all that 1st round exit garbage means nothing

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2008, 10:13 AM
screw_ston really loves this thread.

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:18 AM
People want to knock tracy and Yao for doing what few stars can do which is take a team of nbdl quality players to the playoffs. Take your pick Luther Head, Chuck Hayes, Mutombo, Mike Harris, Rafer Alston, Steve Novak, Take your pick. This is the last squad any star would want to play with.

screw_ston713
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Spurs will be in the mix forsure, im not a hater they can finish anywhere from 1-6. Mavs and Phx were 1 and 2 seeds before last yr, in one year they dropped to 6th and 7th seeds. The west is that tight.

JMarkJohns
08-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the Mavs have done to actually finish better next season than last, considering they were worse off after their big trade. They maybe had two or three victories over playoff teams with Kidd on the roster. I don't think the Suns are any better, but if the Suns are 8th (2 spots worse than last year's finish) then the Mavericks should be no better.

1. New Orleans (-1)
2. Los Angeles (+1/-1)

3. Utah (+1/-1)
4. San Antonio (+1/-2)
5. Houston (+2/-1)

6. Phoenix (+1/-3)
7. Dallas (+1/-2)
8. Portland (+2/-1)

9. Los Angeles (+1/-2)
10. Denver (+2)

I put them into their respective tiers, and added the plus/minus to indicate each potential one way or the other.

spursfan09
08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Last year with Yao not even with the team for majority of the 2nd half of the season the Rockets in one of the toughest years in the west, won 55 games. Spurs fans are really over sensitive. Everyone has their own predictions of how the west will stack up.

i am not oversensitive about anything basketball. I could care less about rankings. My point was more that the rockets always look they are going to be at the top in the west, but something always happens and they end up getting knocked out in the first round. Thats just an observation I have. And yeah rockets won 55 games, but that does not mean anyting other than you had a good season.

mrspurs
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Fabbs
08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/15/west.rankings/

Western Conference rankings
Marty Burns

1. Lakers: Turiaf's departure could be a significant blow, as L.A.'s reserve corps played a big role in last season's run to the Finals. Even so, the Lakers still have Kobe Bryant and that's enough to merit keeping them at No. 1 -- at least for now.

The world needs another Kobe kiss ass. Yeah Kobe by himself led the Lakers to the Finals. Try three impressive .500 seasons. As if the Gasol collusion and Fisher being allowed to opt over to L.A. for free didn't change everything.

Agree with the rest of you who point out Turiaf was hardly the "key".

Spurs sad to say are about where they belong and i fear we can no longer call Tim Duncan the best player in the NBA with Popped at the helm. We can hope 'Popped, -excuse me "Phils Bitty", doesn't have to face PJ again in the playoffs. Fetal position will be sure to follow.

The Third Man
08-17-2008, 11:46 PM
i am not oversensitive about anything basketball. I could care less about rankings. My point was more that the rockets always look they are going to be at the top in the west, but something always happens and they end up getting knocked out in the first round. Thats just an observation I have. And yeah rockets won 55 games, but that does not mean anyting other than you had a good season.

You're completely right. The Rockets have to advance in the playoffs before they get respect. That's the way it should be. Garnett had questions about his playoff abilities and he had to deal with them until he got a ring. Just like Peyton Manning. McGrady and Yao will have to get the job done in May and June to shut up the haters. Having Artest around will give them a good shot to do so.

your_pimp
08-18-2008, 12:18 AM

Gasol is soft as tissue and Odom is a mental midget. The Spurs will be back but it wont be the Lakers weak shit challenging us, it'll come from a real team like the Hornets. Bynum....that's funny. We own Phoenix too, or did you miss that ? Amare or no Amare.stupid fuck!

Dramon
08-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Who cares about these rankings. The west is so close anyways. Even if he's completely right, after last season theres a good chance that half the teams finish with the same records and the rest of the top 8 within 1-2 wins.

IronMexican
08-18-2008, 12:52 AM

God, you make Spur fans look retarded.

and most Spur fans on this site are great, but wow. the IQ has certainly dropped on this site after reading some of your posts

DROB4EVER
08-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Who cares about these rankings. The west is so close anyways. Even if he's completely right, after last season theres a good chance that half the teams finish with the same records and the rest of the top 8 within 1-2 wins.

I agree, I think the top 5 teams are likely to be only a game apart each. Looks like the season should come down to the final week like this past season.

TheMadHatter
08-18-2008, 01:34 AM
No the WC won't be as close as it was last year. At least not with the same teams.

LAL, HOU, and NOH will be in a class of their own. The rest will fend for scraps.

screw_ston713
08-18-2008, 05:41 AM
i am not oversensitive about anything basketball. I could care less about rankings. My point was more that the rockets always look they are going to be at the top in the west, but something always happens and they end up getting knocked out in the first round. Thats just an observation I have. And yeah rockets won 55 games, but that does not mean anyting other than you had a good season. What is the criteria to finishing 2nd place in the regular season??? I thought finishing with the 2nd best record in the west. What does being knocked out in the 1st round has to do with finishing the regular season with the 2nd best record in the west?

MrChug
08-18-2008, 05:52 AM
but it looks as if this San Antonio team will be pretty much the same as a season ago -- only a year older.

That sounded so horrific, but true...DAMN YOU FATHER TIME!!!

Nah, that seems to be the average, run of the mill PRE-season list. The formula? Take the team with the most to gain by trades and signings whether it's good for the team or bad for it and bump them up to give yourself a story when they flounder. It never works, but for the Celtics last year. They were ranked number one, proved they deserved it, and busted everybody's ass and won the championship.

rascal
08-18-2008, 05:57 AM

Agree. The Manu was not healthy excuse is a cop out for those who don't want to accept the truth . The lakers were the better team down the stretch during the regular season after they added Gasol and they were the better team in the playoffs.

tmtcsc
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
God, you make Spur fans look retarded.

and most Spur fans on this site are great, but wow. the IQ has certainly dropped on this site after reading some of your posts

Well, you're right about one thing, most Spurs fans in here are cool but you're a fucking dipshit. Have you even read my takes ? Stop signing in as PIMP Bitch and The Game and whoever else. Go away Louis.

My posts are either intelligent, vulgar or inflammatory. It all depends on the level of the audience I'm posting for. So.....go fuck yourself you infant, bathroom stall meat gazer.

Go to Mav talk and discuss how long it will take before the Mavs reach the playoffs again.

I take it back..I just went and read some of your old posts. What you need to do is back away from the computer, the video games and the taco stands. Just go outside and try to make some friends you sad, lonely boy. have you ever even talked to a girl without having to use a credit card ?

tmtcsc
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Agree. The Manu was not healthy excuse is a cop out for those who don't want to accept the truth . The lakers were the better team down the stretch during the regular season after they added Gasol and they were the better team in the playoffs.

Of course you agree. You're clueless and you hate the Spurs, despite the annoying trend of putting "Spurs" as your favorite team under your avatar. Just put your real favorite team down. Why are you scared that you will be run out of here ? This is Spurstalk. Thick skin around here.

Spuradicator
08-19-2008, 11:06 AM

+1

Especially from a national journalist.

tmtcsc
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
stupid fuck!

tranny chaser