PDA

View Full Version : Old Bump: Finley Re-signs with Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

Gooshie
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537371

After drawing interest from a few top contenders, including the NBA's new champions in Boston, Michael Finley has elected to re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Finley and the Spurs have reached terms on a new deal that has been submitted for league approval.

Michael Finley

Small Forward
San Antonio Spurs

2008 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
82 10.1 3.1 1.4 .414 .800
Contract specifics were not immediately available, but sources say Finley's decision came down to a choice between staying with the Spurs or joining the Boston Celtics as the reigning champs' replacement for James Posey, who signed with the New Orleans Hornets earlier this summer.

Sources say the two-time All-Star also drew strong interest from the Hornets and Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Spurs, though, were determined to keep Finley, 35, even after signing swingman Roger Mason away from the Washington Wizards last month, with Brent Barry leaving San Antonio's wing rotation to sign with the Houston Rockets.

Heading into his 14th season, Finley joined the Spurs in the summer of 2005 after being waived by the Dallas Mavericks via the league's one-time amnesty provision, which allowed the Mavs to avoid paying a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on the $51.8 million they owed Finley over the past three seasons.

The Spurs were eliminated by the Mavericks in a memorable second-round series in Finley's first season in San Antonio before winning the championship in 2007 to end Finley's decade-plus chase for a ring.

Finley then started 61 games last season for the Spurs, averaging 10.1 points and shooting 37 percent from 3-point range.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

1Parker1
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
U had to see this one coming after Pargo went to Russia....

urunobili
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
nice! I like Finley as a mentor for Hill/Hairstron

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
And this offseason comes to a conclusion.

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
"yes its true, im so happy to be stuck with you"

Walton Buys Off Me
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Gotta be the worst Spurs offseason since we signed Cherokee Parks.

What's next, Buford inks Samaki Walker?

ducks
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
one year ?

Texas_Ranger
08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
:tu

sribb43
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Thank you Fin for deciding not to spare the mavs fans to death

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Should read, "Spurs resign themselves to Finley."

exstatic
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
:vomit:

rAm
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
:bang

we are slowww and olddd still.

As long as the big 3 are healthy by the playoffs I still feel we have one of the best, if not the best shot of making it out of the west. That is unless Stern screws us with the playoff schedule.

Oh, and thats assuming we make it through Feb and March :rolleyes

whottt
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Who is available next offseason and when is the draft?

urunobili
08-15-2008, 03:36 PM

wow... i thought you'd come up with something like "who's gonna show Mason and Hairstron the system"? :lol

Spurtacus
08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Meh.

T Park
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
:lol

Awwww

The Spurs sign a 5th swingman and Spursnation goes into suicide watch.

Typical summer.

BWS-1994
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Any word on how much and how long?

lefty
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
So, every time he takes a jump-shot, let's all cross our fingers

Bruno
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
It could be a very good signing or a disaster depending on what happens this season :

I really like Finley as an end of the bench player. He knows the team, can shoot, has a lot of experience and is quite clutch.
However, if Finley gets a lot of playing time because other Spurs suck or because Pop blindly stick with him, it would be quite a disaster.

I Love Me Some Me
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Fin feels like that guy who gets picked last in a pickup game down at the gym.

T Park
08-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Sounds more like Finley chose the Spurs as opposed to the other way around.

Boston and Cleveland's front offices must be absolutely horrible as well.

jack sommerset
08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Finley must not have gotten any other offers.

ss1986v2
So, every time he takes a jump-shot, let's all cross our fingers
spurs should be use to this thanks to the "jacque vaughn experience"...

xtremesteven33
hell be a back up to bruce, not ginobili.

mason will either start or back up manu.

any offense is better than bowens offense haha

Budkin
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I like Finley... maybe he'll snap out of his funk from last year. Maybe.

JoeChalupa
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I'll wait for the haters when he misses a few shots to start crying and whining.

nkdlunch
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Michael Theodorus Finley is my man!

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/featurearchive/images/finley_000.jpg

xtremesteven33
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
maybe hell turn it around guys.

pad300
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Don't worry about it, we traded our 2009 1st round pick in the KT deal...

MoSpur
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Boring

dbestpro
08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I hope he got a boat load of cash. That he will make for good trade bait in a mid-season blockbuster.

MoSpur
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I hope we follow this up by resigning Robert Horry just to put the cherry on top of a classic off season.

T Park
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Just curious, who was the young, vibrant, huge scoring guard the Spurs passed over in Free agency for Finley?

ThunderStix®
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p323/ThunderStix_2008/STsuiciderate.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
terrible signing..I'd rather have signed a younger guy..

Finley is absolutely done at this point..he's still a solid set shooter..but he's arguably the worst passer in the NBA for a guard..a horrendous defender..he rarely makes a shot after he takes a dribble..he's done..

T Park
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I'll wait for the haters when he misses a few shots to start crying and whining.

Don't have to wait.

They are already here.

T Park
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Finley is absolutely done at this point..he's still a solid set shooter..but he's arguably the worst passer in the NBA for a guard..a horrendous defender..he rarely makes a shot after he takes a dribble..he's done..

Who?

Names please.

rAm
08-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Can you get Dirk's jank ass head off my screen. Thanks.

MoSpur
08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Once again T-Park defending the front office. What a surprise!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Would've preferred someone else, but the rest of the FA market doesn't get so much better than Finley.

ss1986v2
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM

not that im championing finley or anything, but how so? he has one of the lowest turnover rates of any guard getting 25+ minutes a night. just for the sake of argument, mason averaged more turnovers last season in fewer minutes with assists. so i guess mason is one of the worst passers as well, no?

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Bad move, I would have rather given the minutes to develop a young scorer from the NBDL than bring Finley back to pass up open 3's and dribble into contested shots. Also, his defense and passing will do nothing but hurt this team...so much for getting younger.

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I hope we follow this up by resigning Robert Horry just to put the cherry on top of a classic off season.

:lol A true, last-minute, desparation, half-court shot by the Spurs.

The success of the Spurs to acquire and sign their targeted offseason player acquisitions has been as subpar as Finley's FG %.

Maggette - No
Mason - Yes
Najera - No
Pargo - No
Finley - Yes (layup)

40%. That's about par for the course.

I'm looking forward to yet another season of Fnley's inconsistent bricking and horrific defense. All the while, the plethora of Finley backers will keep trying to convince us all that "he's just in a slump". Seeing as how the offense went through season-long droughts with Finley in the starting lineup, this was hardly the way to go. However, as long as Mason gets the nod ahead of him, should be low-risk.

rj215
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Not really a surprise but a bit disappointing. Gotta trust the FO for now since they got us four championships. Plus, like Kori once said he'll be coming back as a 5th SG/SF which isn't too bad I guess.

Ocotillo
08-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Small ball power forward signed bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whine :rollin

lotr1trekkie
08-15-2008, 04:12 PM
We should have resigned Brent--- he has more left in the tank than Fin. Also his skills will be wasted in Oilerland with the arrival of Artest. A coherent conversation between those two---impossibleeeeeeeeeeeee!

whottt
08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
wow... i thought you'd come up with something like "who's gonna show Mason and Hairstron the system"? :lol

Dude...Finley sucks fucking ass.

He's a nutriding, choking, coattaling, whining bitch...who can't hit the fucking side of a barn, spends 99% of his time pouting, and has absolutely no fucking game besides chucking up shitty shots.

This defending champion team was poised to go on a Dynasty run and Michael Finley and his let down karma were what derailed it...all you need to know about how great that team would have been...is htey actually managed to win a championship with Michael Finley on their roster...

That will be the only team, Spurs or otherwise, to accomplish that feat.

So why don't you just say, YAH WE"RE NOT WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR!, because that is the major impact of this signing.

Mavs cut him and we instantly became their bitch while they made the finals...

Figure it the fuck out.

Why in the fuck didn't the Mavs or Boston go after this dude like they said they would.

T Park
08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Bad move, I would have rather given the minutes to develop a young scorer from the NBDL than bring Finley back to pass up open 3's and dribble into contested shots. Also, his defense and passing will do nothing but hurt this team...so much for getting younger.

Who is this mythical NBDL player?

T Park
08-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Not really a surprise but a bit disappointing. Gotta trust the FO for now since they got us four championships. Plus, like Kori once said he'll be coming back as a 5th SG/SF which isn't too bad I guess.

A guy that will see a very small amount of minutes.

T Park
Once again T-Park defending the front office. What a surprise!

Way to address the question.

smeagol
I see a fifth ring in the horizon!

T Park
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
:lol A true, last-minute, desparation, half-court shot by the Spurs.

The success of the Spurs to acquire and sign their targeted offseason player acquisitions has been as subpar as Finley's FG %.

Maggette - No
Mason - Yes
Najera - No
Pargo - No
Finley - Yes (layup)

40%. That's about par for the course.

I'm looking forward to yet another season of Fnley's inconsistent bricking and horrific defense. All the while, the plethora of Finley backers will keep trying to convince us all that "he's just in a slump". Seeing as how the offense went through season-long droughts with Finley in the starting lineup, this was hardly the way to go. However, as long as Mason gets the nod ahead of him, should be low-risk.

Waiting on a name....

Lackluster
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
If he can put up another 10 ppg season and send us into the clutchest of overtimes, all while having a solid handle on the (offensive) system i think it's a good move.

bet he'd light us up on a team like the celts too. that'd suck.

T Park
08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Hes a 5th swingman for god sakes :lol

MoSpur
08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
T-Park is acting like we owe him a name for some reason. Dude can't accept that signing Finley isn't the best move. Get over yourself T-Park. No one owes you anything. Its very plain and simple, signing Finley is not the best move.

thispego
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM

He's a nutriding, choking, coattaling, whining bitch...who can't hit the fucking side of a barn, spends 99% of his time pouting, and has absolutely no fucking game besides chucking up shitty shots.

This defending champion team was poised to go on a Dynasty run and Michael Finley and his let down karma were what derailed it...all you need to know about how great that team would have been...is htey actually managed to win a championship with Michael Finley on their roster...

So why don't you just say, YAH WE"RE NOT WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR!, because that is the major impact of this signing.

Figure it the fuck out.

Why in the fuck didn't the Mavs or Boston go after this dude like they said they would.

:rollin

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Waiting on a name....

I'm waiting for you to tell us how the hell Finley makes the Spurs a better team?

J.T.
08-15-2008, 04:23 PM
What do you know, the Lord does answer prayers.

ss1986v2
08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
how is it the worst move if you cant name another that is better? all you chicken littles have me agreeing with t park here. god, i feel dirty...

AFBlue
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
A decent signing given what's left out there. This is probably the last signficant move they'll make before going into training camp...and at that point it'll be filling out the roster at best.

All things considered, you have to wonder how disappointed the Spurs FO has to be with this off-season...

1) Their key acquisition was a 27yr old guard with one proven year of shooting/scoring.

2) They got spurned by their top pick in 2007 that could've ostensibly come in and immediately contributed.

3) They've let go of Barry but kept Finley and Thomas, leaving them at/near the top of the league for age.

4) Their top draft pick proved he's not ready for the big league.

5) A hobbled Manu is playing in the off-season for his country.

I'm not pointing all of that out to throw egg on their faces because some of it wasn't their fault, but I think even they have to admit this off-season didn't go as they had hoped.

BTW, how did ESPN get the scoop on McDonald and crew with this signing? Rediculous.

whottt
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
how is it the worst move if you cant name another that is better? all you chicken littles have me agreeing with t park here. god, i feel dirty...

Signing no one would have been better...

I'd feel better about our chances without Finley on this roster...he contributes nothing to championships. Never has, never will.

All he does is miss shots and then pout like a bitch about it....and it becomes all about Finley...

What's wrong with Mike?
C'mom Mike don't be so hard on yoursellf...

IT's all about Mike.

Fuck this dude...get his fucking ass off my roster.

wildbill2u
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537371

After drawing interest from a few top contenders, including the NBA's new champions in Boston, Michael Finley has elected to re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Finley and the Spurs have reached terms on a new deal that has been submitted for league approval.

Michael Finley

Small Forward
San Antonio Spurs

2008 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
82 10.1 3.1 1.4 .414 .800
Contract specifics were not immediately available, but sources say Finley's decision came down to a choice between staying with the Spurs or joining the Boston Celtics as the reigning champs' replacement for James Posey, who signed with the New Orleans Hornets earlier this summer.

Sources say the two-time All-Star also drew strong interest from the Hornets and Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Spurs, though, were determined to keep Finley, 35, even after signing swingman Roger Mason away from the Washington Wizards last month, with Brent Barry leaving San Antonio's wing rotation to sign with the Houston Rockets.

Heading into his 14th season, Finley joined the Spurs in the summer of 2005 after being waived by the Dallas Mavericks via the league's one-time amnesty provision, which allowed the Mavs to avoid paying a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on the $51.8 million they owed Finley over the past three seasons.

The Spurs were eliminated by the Mavericks in a memorable second-round series in Finley's first season in San Antonio before winning the championship in 2007 to end Finley's decade-plus chase for a ring.

Finley then started 61 games last season for the Spurs, averaging 10.1 points and shooting 37 percent from 3-point range.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Halloo Hallay O Happy Day!

50 cent
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
meh.

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
not that im championing finley or anything, but how so? he has one of the lowest turnover rates of any guard getting 25+ minutes a night. just for the sake of argument, mason averaged more turnovers last season in fewer minutes with assists. so i guess mason is one of the worst passers as well, no?

Mason was one of the primary ballhandlers for Washington..most of his minutes came at the PG position, since he was replacing Arenas..his offense relied on isolation a lot of the time as well..

Finley doesn't get isolation plays..most of his shots come off screens and from being open off our big 3, so it's difficult basing his passing ability on stats..I'm basing this on what I've seen..he's the worst entry passer I've ever seen..I can't even remember how many times he threw a terrible entry pass to Tim, and turned it over..

Way to address the question.

anybody..at this point I'd rather have guys like Kirk Snyder and Fred Jones over Finley..at least they're athletic and can move..even Gordon Giricek would be an upgrade..

I give Finley credit for what he's good at..he's still a solid set shooter..he's still one of the clutchest shooters in the NBA..but we needed to go younger..I know he isn't going to play a big part, but I'd rather go on potential right now..give some younger guys a try in our system..

Tully365
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Not surprising. I'd hoped for a better defender, but I really don't think it's a bad move. If Mason & Manu get the majority of the SG minutes and Bowen & Udoka the majority of the SF minutes, I'd guess that Finley will drop to maybe 15-20 mpg and his main focus will be bench scoring, which will at least take the pressure off starting the game and trying to defend the other team's best SG. His shooting efficiency is as good or better than the other rumored options-- Pargo, Dixon, and Devin Brown-types, etc...

At this point, the fate of the Spurs lies in Hill's development and Mason's adjustment.
If Mason and Hill continue to grow as young players, the Spurs look smart. If not, well...
But I do think that this:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Manu/Finley

is better defensively and has greater potential, athleticism, and youth than last year's:

Parker/Vaughn/Washington
Finley/Manu/Barry

(But yeah, I would have preferred Kirk Snyder)

whottt
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Yay! We're not going to win a championship this year[/FinleyFans]

FromWayDowntown
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a hunch that Finley starts on Opening Night -- and for most, if not all, of the 2008-09 season.

ss1986v2
08-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Finley doesn't get isolation plays..most of his shots come off screens and from being open off our big 3, so it's difficult basing his passing ability on stats..I'm basing this on what I've seen..he's the worst entry passer I've ever seen..I can't even remember how many times he threw a terrible entry pass to Tim, and turned it over..
well, it had to be something less than 56, because thats how many TOs he had last season. compare that to bowen and udoka, who posted 46 TOs and 58 TOs respectively. two guys who saw even less iso than finley did. and im willing to bet that finley had a much higher usage rate than a player like udoka, yet posted better numbers. so udoka must also be one of the worst passing players in the league too.

i think at this point, spurs fans are so sick of finley (and in many ways, rightfully so) that they simply amplify everything bad about him. they remember him making a handful of dreadful entry passes (which he has made), and now hes the worst passer for a guard in the entire league, even though nothing else seems to back this up.

AFBlue
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I have a hunch that Finley starts on Opening Night -- and for most, if not all, of the 2008-09 season.

Yes on the first, no on the second...

I think one of Udoka or Mason will supplant him by the end of the season...or they'll just decide to bring Manu back to the starting lineup.

E20
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I like Findawg. Hopefully he has a great year for the Spurs.

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Who is this mythical NBDL player?

I would have taken a minimum contract flyer on any of the following before resigning Finley...

Shaun Livingston
Gordon Giricek
Sam Cassell
Quinton Ross
Fred Jones

Or, I would have left the roster spot open for anyone lighting it up in the NBDL within the first couple of weeks (like Jeremy Richardson last year). Sorry I don't have the full NBDL roster to give you specific names of who will light it up NEXT SEASON...I haven't completed by time travel machine yet. :rolleyes

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Would'nt surprise me in the least. If so, expect the scoring droughts to continue with he and Oberto on the court together.

baseline bum
I like Fin, but I hope the team plans to use him as a 10th-12th man. There's no way the team can afford to play Fin major rotation minutes anymore with his defense and streaky shooting.

mrspurs
U had to see this one coming after Pargo went to Russia....

yep, if ya cant get the better player, you settle on the next best player. has to tell you right away the spurs didnt want finley. with that in mind lets hope finley stays at the end of the bench. with whats on the roster as of now, i dont see finley sitting on the end of the bench, i see finley starting again. only person i see keeping finley on the bench is roger.....so its easy to say our season will depend alot on how roger and ian play. if either one doesnt step in and play solid ball by the allstar break, expect the same team as last. i still think we got better by losing damon, horry, and brent. (they didnt do much but acts as floating devices for a sinking team)....now maybe we can stay afloat a little longer

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 04:57 PM
It could be a very good signing or a disaster depending on what happens this season :

I really like Finley as an end of the bench player. He knows the team, can shoot, has a lot of experience and is quite clutch.
However, if Finley gets a lot of playing time because other Spurs suck or because Pop blindly stick with him, it would be quite a disaster.

100% agreed and i might i add, pop was blind as an old bat last season, his mid-season pickups killed our chances last season, and he hasnt done anything to fix those disasters yet. most of the disasters just had no choice but to leave....it wouldnt surprise me if horry comes back out of retirement sometime during the season, when ian plays like he has been since we picked him up (not nba level) :wow

lurker23
4) Their top draft pick proved he's not ready for the big league.

I understand the potential FO frustration with most of your post, but I'm not sure I get this part. How has Hill proven what he can do, one way or the other? (Spurs FO going after Pargo isn't acceptable as a "sign that they've given up on Hill." We don't know what the Spurs intentions with Pargo were, whether as a PG backup, an insurance policy, or a guard who would get most of his minutes at the 2, and that they would have used a roster spot on instead of Finley. Based on the timing of things, the last one actually seems a possibility.)

SenorSpur
I like Fin, but I hope the team plans to use him as a 10th-12th man. There's no way the team can afford to play Fin major rotation minutes anymore with his defense and streaky shooting.

Don't underestimate Pop's man-crush on this guy.

Anti.Hero
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM

More like when he misses every defensive assignment every time down the court.

Whatever. Same old shit. Literally! haha

pad300
08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Waiting on a name....

All right (in no particular order)
1) Brent Barry
2) Mikael Gelabale
3) Linton Johnson
4) Kirk Snyder
5) Gordan Giricek
6) Quinton Ross
7) Sean Banks

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
hell be a back up to bruce, not ginobili.

mason will either start or back up manu.

any offense is better than bowens offense haha

i think i take bowens offense over todays finleys offense. finley just plain does nothing for our team but hurt us when he is on the court. if he doesnt make his first shot, we are stuck with him till pop cant stand it anymore, calls a time out does this :bang...... and by the time you look, we are behind by 20 and pop calls it quits and its bring in the scrubs time :lmao

Obstructed_View
08-15-2008, 05:05 PM
And this offseason comes to a conclusion.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2411/1564246181_238dc1847c.jpg

Solid D
08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Hopefully, Mason gets Fin's minutes and Fin will now get Brent's minutes (9th man).

benefactor
Exactly. I agree with those who say he will be starting at the beginning of the season. I don't doubt that he has something left...thats not the reason I wanted him gone. The biggest reason I didn't want him back is because Pop will be giving him too many minutes...minutes that Mason should be playing. He will be in during the playoffs at a key moment, his man will blow by him for a layup and 1 and down we go again.

The whole thing just gives me a sick feeling.

T Park
All right (in no particular order)
1) Brent Barry
2) Mikael Gelabale
3) Linton Johnson
4) Kirk Snyder
5) Gordan Giricek
6) Quinton Ross
7) Sean Banks

:lmao

Linton Johnson?

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Hopefully, Mason gets Fin's minutes and Fin will now get Brent's minutes (9th man).

More than likely thats how it will be.

Which is fine.

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Figure it the fuck out.

all i can say is...........your weird :lmao welcome to my ignore list finally

benefactor
08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
...at least he breaks up his post into paragraphs. I don't know that I have read anything you have posted.

4everSpurFan
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
omg they didn't... oh well I guess the FO really doesn't want the team to have a good chance and getting back what belongs:lobt2:

I'm NOT even excited about this coming season...eh we'll see what happens!

Bruno
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
BTW, welcome back Fin. :toast

6Qv0PSURv8A

vy65
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
More than likely thats how it will be.

Which is fine.

So you think that Fin is an upgrade over Barry at that 9th slot? You feel confident that Finley can turn in a performance like Brent's in the WCF? If so, I'd love to hear some reasons for your belief.

Or are you too busy fellating Pop/R.C.?

SpursFanInAustin
08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
So you think that Fin is an upgrade over Barry at that 9th slot? You feel confident that Finley can turn in a performance like Brent's in the WCF? If so, I'd love to hear some reasons for your belief.

While people are talking about Barry's performance vs. the Lakers in the WCFs, how quickly people forget that Barry was 0 for the road in the playoffs in 07 while Finley was pretty much money in the playoffs, except for the Finals, which we really didn't need his contribution as the big three dominated.

benefactor
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
BTW, welcome back Fin. :toast

6Qv0PSURv8A
Have him for that? Yes. Have him for extended minutes? No.

Worries about the latter is what is keeping me from embracing this move.

vy65
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
While people are talking about Barry's performance vs. the Lakers in the WCFs, how quickly people forget that Barry was 0 for the road in the playoffs in 07 while Finley was pretty much money in the playoffs, except for the Finals, which we really didn't need his contribution as the big three dominated.

Are you serious? You can't be serious. Are you serious?

Here's a little sampling of the poo poo platter fin served this past playoff run:

5/21 @Lal L 89-85 22 0-5
5/27 Lal L 93-91 9 0-2
5/13 @Nor L 101-79 15 1-6
5/15 Nor W 99-80 18 1-6
4/25 @Pho W 115-99 29 2-7

pad300
08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Linton Johnson?

Yeah, I'll give you Johnson can suck, but I'd still sign him over Finley. If only because Pop will actually bench Johnson when he needs it, unlike what he does with Finley.

Yeah, as a reason, that Pop will actually bench them, to sign someone that does suck. But it's still true. It's still be worth doing in that sense. As it stands, and as others have foreseen on this thread, you can just see Pop starting Finley. Particularly in the playoffs. Remember Nick van Excel?

Also, I put 7 names up their off the top of my head. Your turn to put up or shut up. Give me your reasoning why you would sign Finley over each of them. Make the case for Finley over Barry. Finley over Ross. Finley over Johnson. Finley over Snyder. Finley over Gelabale. Finley over Banks. Finley over Giricek. There are other names out there, I am sure. Devin Brown. Bonzi Wells. Hell, Malik Hairston...

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:26 PM

If Finley winds up in Barry's role he'll perform worse than Barry did in that role.

In fact Barry beat Finley out the last 2 seasons and the only reason Finley wound up ahead of him was due to injury and the trade...and Finley played much worse in that role than Barry did.

You are talking abotu a guy in Finley that is a strict volume shooter...who only put up decent numbers in his career when he was leading the NBA in minutes played.

Finley's best moments as a Spur were not as good as Barry's best...and his worst moments as a Spur were much worse.

Finley can't do anything but chuck up shots, he is a volume shooter...players like that are never ever good at 9th man roles.

Putting him in a 9th man role is just going to prevent him from getting time to find what shot he has left...so he'll have no value.

It probably is better if you start him, production wise...but it's not going to put the Spurs anywhere near winning a championship.

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM

And you're a stupid newbie...and I could give two fucks about your ignore list or your opinion.

vy65
08-15-2008, 05:31 PM
And you're a stupid newbie...and I could give two fucks about your ignore list or your opinion.

I seriously can't tell if you're being ironic/pulling some Andy Kaufman shit, or what -- but in last year's playoffs Bones shot 26/53 or 49%. Fin shot 43 for 107 or barely 40%. That's a bit of a drop, don't ya think?

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM

i dont think pop(or whoever is in charge of picking up players for the last 3 season) knows whats they are doing anymore.........the spurs are quickly becoming a team noone is scared of anymore and worst of all noone with high roller quailitys even cares about coming here. what is so scary besides the big 3 that would scare good players from coming to the big SA? imo its pop's antics, they are getting as old as the players he coaches, and imo this is how we are sinking so quickly...only old men can be yelled at, it goes thru one of our ears and out the other, and it takes practice. you cant expect to yell at a kid making just as much money if not more then you and expect to get his respect........it just doesnt work like that with todays kids....thats why ive always said tony has got bigger ones then anyone on our roster :king

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I seriously can't tell if you're being ironic/pulling some Andy Kaufman shit, or what -- but in last year's playoffs Bones shot 26/53 or 49%. Fin shot 43 for 107 or barely 40%. That's a bit of a drop, don't ya think?

I have no idea what point you are trying to make...would you mind spelling it out for me?

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Your turn to put up or shut up. Give me your reasoning why you would sign Finley over each of them. Make the case for Finley over Barry. Finley over Ross. Finley over Johnson. Finley over Snyder. Finley over Gelabale. Finley over Banks. Finley over Giricek. There are other names out there, I am sure. Devin Brown. Bonzi Wells. Hell, Malik Hairston...

I wouldn't count on it, I'm still waiting for his response to the list of names I sent him. I think he kind of pick and chooses his replies... :rolleyes

manufor3
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM

true

mrspurs
...at least he breaks up his post into paragraphs. I don't know that I have read anything you have posted.

well im hurt.........not, join you buddy whott on my fine ignore list i dont even know ya either :lol

vy65
I have no idea what point you are trying to make...would you mind spelling it out for me?

I would, but the photo of the big black man next to your name is scaring me, so I'll have to decline

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I would, but the photo of the big black man next to your name is scaring me, so I'll have to decline

Probably for the best that you do...

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 05:37 PM
If Finley winds up in Barry's role he'll perform worse than Barry did in that role.

Finley can't do anything but chuck up shots, he is a volume shooter...players like that are never ever good at 9th man roles.

It probably is better if you start him, production wise...but it's not going to put the Spurs anywhere near winning a championship.

It's because he's a one-trick pony. Has been ever since his knees starting going south. Took a lot of heat in his last 3-4 years as a Mav for being just that. Again, if his shot isn't falling, he's a liability in every sense of the word.

I wish Cuban would've gone after him this summer. It's amazing how much rope Pop gives this guy. Hold your breath folks.

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
As a 5th wing I don't see any better option.

I hope he play the S.Smith 03 role.

Welcome back Finley

vy65
08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Probably for the best that you do...

Ooooooo nice condescension on the internet. 5 points for Gryfendor!!

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Michael Finley is poised to return for a fourth season in San Antonio.

The Spurs have agreed to terms with the free-agent shooting guard, an NBA source told the Express-News on Friday afternoon.

Details of the finalized deal weren't immediately available, but as recently as last week the Spurs were believed to have offered the 35-year-old Finley a deal starting at the veteran league minimum of $1.3 million.

Finley, the crown jewel of the Spurs' free-agent chase three summers ago, returns with less fanfare than he first arrived. He averaged 10.1 points per game as a part-time starter last season, but could see his role threatened by the arrival of free-agent swingman Roger Mason Jr.

Still, the Spurs always valued Finley's professionalism and leadership, and were eager to bring him back -- especially after losing Brent Barry to Houston last month.

In choosing to re-up with the Spurs, Finley rebuffed a short list of suitors that reportedly included the NBA champion Boston Celtics. He also turned down an offer to play in Europe next season.

It appears the Spurs won't be as lucky when it comes to another of their free-agent targets. Multiple Internet reports indicate that Jannero Pargo, a point guard the Spurs envisioned backing up Tony Parker next season, has agreed to a deal with the Russian team Dynamo Moscow.

According to reports, Pargo will earn at least $3.5 million in Russia next season, more than he was likely to command anywhere in the NBA. The Spurs are believed to have offered Pargo a deal worth $2 million, the maximum they had available.

Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Friday afternoon his client had not yet signed on the dotted line for Dynamo Moscow, but suggested it was only a matter of time.

"For me, it's not done until it's done," Bartelstein said. "There are still a few details to work out, and if we work them out, then it will be done."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/08/jeff_mcdonald_f_1.html

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Michael Finley is poised to return for a fourth season in San Antonio.

The Spurs have agreed to terms with the free-agent shooting guard, an NBA source told the Express-News on Friday afternoon.

Details of the finalized deal weren't immediately available, but as recently as last week the Spurs were believed to have offered the 35-year-old Finley a deal starting at the veteran league minimum of $1.3 million.

Finley, the crown jewel of the Spurs' free-agent chase three summers ago, returns with less fanfare than he first arrived. He averaged 10.1 points per game as a part-time starter last season, but could see his role threatened by the arrival of free-agent swingman Roger Mason Jr.

Still, the Spurs always valued Finley's professionalism and leadership, and were eager to bring him back -- especially after losing Brent Barry to Houston last month.

In choosing to re-up with the Spurs, Finley rebuffed a short list of suitors that reportedly included the NBA champion Boston Celtics. He also turned down an offer to play in Europe next season.

It appears the Spurs won't be as lucky when it comes to another of their free-agent targets. Multiple Internet reports indicate that Jannero Pargo, a point guard the Spurs envisioned backing up Tony Parker next season, has agreed to a deal with the Russian team Dynamo Moscow.

According to reports, Pargo will earn at least $3.5 million in Russia next season, more than he was likely to command anywhere in the NBA. The Spurs are believed to have offered Pargo a deal worth $2 million, the maximum they had available.

Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Friday afternoon his client had not yet signed on the dotted line for Dynamo Moscow, but suggested it was only a matter of time.

"For me, it's not done until it's done," Bartelstein said. "There are still a few details to work out, and if we work them out, then it will be done."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/08/jeff_mcdonald_f_1.html

God, I hope this is only a 1-yr deal.

benefactor
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
well im hurt.........not, join you buddy whott on my fine ignore list i dont even know ya either :lol
Fine with me. Like I said, its not like I was taking the time to decipher any of your wall o text posts anyway.

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Ooooooo nice condescension on the internet. 5 points for Gryfendor!!

Thanks...I wish I could you give you some points, but unfortunately, being stupid on the internet doesn't count for anything these days.

Someday, you'll realize how stupid you were to direct those Barry comments towards me. Of any and all posters on this forum, I was the absolute worst one to direct them towards if you are trying to prove your self literate...someday, you'll realize that...but unfortunately for you, it'll be too late by then.

RIF. :depressed

whottt
08-15-2008, 05:53 PM
It's because he's a one-trick pony. Has been ever since his knees starting going south. Took a lot of heat in his last 3-4 years as a Mav for being just that. Again, if his shot isn't falling, he's a liability in every sense of the word.

I wish Cuban would've gone after him this summer. It's amazing how much rope Pop gives this guy. Hold your breath folks.

On top of that he flat out sucks against LA(and wasn't that great against the Hornets)...and that's who we're going to have to go through.

The only team he's useful against is the Mavs...and they suck now.

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I would have taken a minimum contract flyer on any of the following before resigning Finley...

Shaun Livingston
Gordon Giricek
Sam Cassell
Quinton Ross
Fred Jones

Or, I would have left the roster spot open for anyone lighting it up in the NBDL within the first couple of weeks (like Jeremy Richardson last year). Sorry I don't have the full NBDL roster to give you specific names of who will light it up NEXT SEASON...I haven't completed by time travel machine yet. :rolleyes

Sam Cassell?

Uh your arguement is for younger and you put him up there?

Livingston has one leg

Giricek would be about the only guy out of that list you'd have an arguement for, but he can't seem to stick anywhere he goes.

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
so he signs the veterans minimum and the yelling begins :lmao

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:57 PM

I don't think he can. I think Barry is better for it, but hes not back so the whole bitching about it is moot and pointless.

GaryJohnston
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
shit

T Park
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm waiting for you to tell us how the hell Finley makes the Spurs a better team?

So Michael Finley goes from the 4th to the 5th swingman, Mason > Barry

and this team isn't better? Okiedoke.

Go ahead and swing from the shower curtain sunshine.

Spooky
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Mason was one of the primary ballhandlers for Washington..most of his minutes came at the PG position, since he was replacing Arenas..his offense relied on isolation a lot of the time as well..

anybody..at this point I'd rather have guys like Kirk Snyder and Fred Jones over Finley..at least they're athletic and can move..even Gordon Giricek would be an upgrade..

I give Finley credit for what he's good at..he's still a solid set shooter..he's still one of the clutchest shooters in the NBA..but we needed to go younger..I know he isn't going to play a big part, but I'd rather go on potential right now..give some younger guys a try in our system..

I agree with the entry passing thing. He rarely had to do that when he was in Dallas. It really bothered me during the playoffs. He will be a good bench player for us. You gotta have trust in Pop. :flag:

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I'll give you Johnson can suck, but I'd still sign him over Finley. If only because Pop will actually bench Johnson when he needs it, unlike what he does with Finley.

Yeah, as a reason, that Pop will actually bench them, to sign someone that does suck. But it's still true. It's still be worth doing in that sense. As it stands, and as others have foreseen on this thread, you can just see Pop starting Finley. Particularly in the playoffs. Remember Nick van Excel?

Also, I put 7 names up their off the top of my head. Your turn to put up or shut up. Give me your reasoning why you would sign Finley over each of them. Make the case for Finley over Barry. Finley over Ross. Finley over Johnson. Finley over Snyder. Finley over Gelabale. Finley over Banks. Finley over Giricek. There are other names out there, I am sure. Devin Brown. Bonzi Wells. Hell, Malik Hairston...

I dont remember Van Excel honestly.

Devin Brown is NEVER coming back, his work ethic is beyond horrible. Bonzi Wells is a piece of shit.
Snyder sucks, Johnson sucks worse, Ross is pathetic offensively, Brent Barry because he signed with the Rockets, Marcus Banks? Suns fans hated him, think about that. Malik Hairston is not close to being ready for the NBA.

The only legit one is Giricek, and I have no answer to that one.

SpursFanInAustin
08-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Are you serious? You can't be serious. Are you serious?

Here's a little sampling of the poo poo platter fin served this past playoff run:

5/21 @Lal L 89-85 22 0-5
5/27 Lal L 93-91 9 0-2
5/13 @Nor L 101-79 15 1-6
5/15 Nor W 99-80 18 1-6
4/25 @Pho W 115-99 29 2-7

I guess you didn't read my post very well.....Yeah you're talkin last season. I said 2007 is where Barry didn't even make a basket on the road, and people were kissing Finley's butt, but last year it's the other way around. All I'm saying is make up your minds.

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Yeah so much rope he hardly played during the Lakers and Hornets series.

But keep up with the generalizations its workin wonders.

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't count on it, I'm still waiting for his response to the list of names I sent him. I think he kind of pick and chooses his replies... :rolleyes

Pardon me that I don't have the time to IMMEDIATELY respond to your every pontification sunshine.

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Who are these mythical younger guys?

Other than the NBDL stiffs that are total retreads that you guys have mentioned?

loveforthegame
08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I like the signing as an end of bench guy and insurance in case of injury. He'll take Barry's role and play limited minutes here and there and probably a few DNP's as well.

I don't see better options out there so I'm fine with it.

His resigning probably has more to do with Pargo not signing than more money or more years from what the Spurs were originally offering.

I would think he would have gotten more minutes elsewhere though.

SpursFanInAustin
08-15-2008, 06:09 PM

In fact Barry beat Finley out the last 2 seasons and the only reason Finley wound up ahead of him was due to injury and the trade...and Finley played much worse in that role than Barry did.

You are talking abotu a guy in Finley that is a strict volume shooter...who only put up decent numbers in his career when he was leading the NBA in minutes played.

Finley's best moments as a Spur were not as good as Barry's best...and his worst moments as a Spur were much worse.

Putting him in a 9th man role is just going to prevent him from getting time to find what shot he has left...so he'll have no value.

I do agree that Finley did move ahead of Barry in 2007 due to injury, but I think that was the main factor into the Spurs allowing Barry to walk, is that he just cannot stay healthy anymore. Yes I agree Barry is a multi-dimensional player with his passing and ballhandling to go along with good shooting, but what good does it do when he's not playing in all 82 games. By no means am I a Finley fan or a Finley lover/homer, but for all the criticism Finley takes in being a turnstile on defense, Barry gets somewhat of a free pass. Barry also isn't a good defender himself, and people forget that he struggled mightily in the 07 playoffs, especially on the road where I don't think he hit a shot. In 2006, other than the Kings game where he hit the game tying 3 that bounced in the rim, he didn't do much either. He was also horrible against his former team the Sonics in 2005. And as much grief you give Finley for causing the Spurs to lose to Dallas in 06, Finley balled his ass off in that series. I don't even think Barry showed up at all in that series. Finley was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player for the Spurs behind Tim and maybe Manu. He wasn't the reason why the Spurs lost that series.

whottt
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I like the signing as an end of bench guy and insurance in case of injury. He'll take Barry's role and play limited minutes here and there and probably a few DNP's as well.

I don't see better options out there so I'm fine with it.

His resigning probably has more to do with Pargo not signing than more money or more years from what the Spurs were originally offering.

I would think he would have gotten more minutes elsewhere though.

In theory it works that way...if that is what Pop does then yes, it's not a total disaster. But there's no guarantees that's what Pop will do...if Pop gets pissed at one of the rookies they could wind up in the doghouse with Finley being heavily relied upon in the rotation...and we might not make it out the first round if that is the case.

Pop having a lot of options is never a good thing...it's never a good thing for the Spurs, and it's never a good thing for our title chances.

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Sam Cassell?

Uh your arguement is for younger and you put him up there?

Livingston has one leg

Giricek would be about the only guy out of that list you'd have an arguement for, but he can't seem to stick anywhere he goes.

Cassell will at least take the open shots Finley passes up. If Pop is unwilling to take a chance on a young guy, might as well go to a decent shooter.

Livingstone is still young and showed alot of promise before the injuries. If we are talking minimum contract, how is that any worse than Finley?

You didn't bother to respond to Ross or Jones, both of them have at least some defensive abilities, something Finley is not a contributor at...

As for the NBDL, we won't know who is playing well until the season starts there but it would be nice to have an opening to sign someone should the opportunity arise...don't you think?

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
With Parker getting hurt, I'd say that Finley also played more minutes than he should've last year as well.

If the excuse works for Manu, it definately goes for FInely as well.

On top of that, hes not gonna play hardly any minutes this year.

8 to 10, nights hes hot maybe 15 or 20. Gonna be some DNP CDs.

wildbill2u
08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2411/1564246181_238dc1847c.jpg

Looks like Pop had help this summer going over the cliff.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31092030

mexicanjunior
08-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Pardon me that I don't have the time to IMMEDIATELY respond to your every pontification sunshine.

You're forgiven...sunshine.

SenorSpur
So Michael Finley goes from the 4th to the 5th swingman, Mason > Barry

and this team isn't better? Okiedoke.

Go ahead and swing from the shower curtain sunshine.

You have yet to illustrate why your pants are going crazy over this guy? If you'd watch the damn games, his limited value should be obvious - even to you. Meanwhile, you just keep sucking on his nuts.

Hell, you're still pissed that the FO elected not to invite Horry back. :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
Why is Spurs not get some good young players? Not ones like Hill but better than this? They not need old players like Finley. Is Horry also coming back? Spurs is not doing good this off season.

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah so much rope he hardly played during the Lakers and Hornets series.

But keep up with the generalizations its workin wonders.

And you keep on with the Finley love, Sonny.

whottt
08-15-2008, 06:18 PM
You have yet to illustrate why your pants are going crazy over this guy? If you'd watch the damn games, his limited value should be obvious - even to you. Meanwhile, you just keep sucking on his nuts.

Here's what you need to know about TPark...you see that post where TPark is ripping Devin Brown in this thread? TPark was one of the biggest Devin Brown jockers on the forum when Devin Brown was a Spur...

WHEN, not IF, Finley sucks this season, TPark will be leading the witchhunt.

Duncan2177
08-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Yea thats Poopavich for ya.

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Cassell will at least take the open shots Finley passes up. If Pop is unwilling to take a chance on a young guy, might as well go to a decent shooter.

Livingstone is still young and showed alot of promise before the injuries. If we are talking minimum contract, how is that any worse than Finley?

You didn't bother to respond to Ross or Jones, both of them have at least some defensive abilities, something Finley is not a contributor at...

As for the NBDL, we won't know who is playing well until the season starts there but it would be nice to have an opening to sign someone should the opportunity arise...don't you think?

So with a tired GInobili, you would be ok, with having an open roster spot to say

eh, lets just signed whoever is available.

The Spurs have one of the more complicated offenses in the league and your "ok" with that?

Mason, Ginobili, Udoka will get alot of the minutes, and whatevers left over Finley will get.

Its that simple.

BTW, Finley 2 legs > Livingston 1 leg. Im sorry if I dont want a guy that still can't run, on the Spurs.

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Here's what you need to know about TPark...you see that post where TPark is ripping Devin Brown in this thread? TPark was one of the biggest Devin Brown jockers on the forum when Devin Brown was a Spur...

WHEN, not IF, Finley sucks this season, TPark will be leading the witchhunt.

I hear ya. He's a freaking piece of work, isn't he? :lol

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
ze rosta is le complete!

-cracks fingers-

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM

I'm not "crazy" over the guy. I've stated I would've rather had Barry back than Finley.

I would've rather had Pargo than Finley as well. Pargo decided he wants to play for the Communists so you had to go to the last resort guy. It happens.

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I hear ya. He's a freaking piece of work, isn't he? :lol

Fuck you.

I stood up for Finley all fucking season, go back and look at the posts.

If you can't remember that, then again, fuck you.

vy65
08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks...I wish I could you give you some points, but unfortunately, being stupid on the internet doesn't count for anything these days.

Someday, you'll realize how stupid you were to direct those Barry comments towards me. Of any and all posters on this forum, I was the absolute worst one to direct them towards if you are trying to prove your self literate...someday, you'll realize that...but unfortunately for you, it'll be too late by then.

OH MY GOD. I'm SO sorry that I directed those comments at you. Boy, do I feel embarassed. I mean, I've been pouring through each and every thread here for like 18 hours a day, chronicling each and every posters proclivities (the people who post here are really important in the grand scheme of things you know). And, I KNEW YOU HATED BARRY!!! How foolish of me.

Despite your utter failure to say anything other that "don't you know who I am," you still said nothing about the fact that Bones was better than Fin.

What they say is true, the people in San Antonio are fat and stupid.

RIF. :depressed

T Park
08-15-2008, 06:26 PM
And you keep on with the Finley love, Sonny.

What love?

Seriously, all I've said is, who else is seriously better other than the stiff retreads that you guys bring up?

Once again I advocated Barry > Finley this summer and it didn't happen.

So again, fuck off.

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
What love?

Seriously, all I've said is, who else is seriously better other than the stiff retreads that you guys bring up?

Once again I advocated Barry > Finley this summer and it didn't happen.

So again, fuck off.

Aw, he's pissed. :lol

Such profane language.

Stop being such a tempermental little girl. After all, you started this venomous backbiting with every poster that criticized Finley.

Meanwhile, back 'atcha sweetheart.:lol

whottt
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
vvf...perhaps you should learn how to not get your ass kicked by the quote function before attempting to argue with actual posters.

That's twice now...

DROB4EVER
08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Still hoping we can sign K Snyder, but Fin may surprise us this year. If he isnt asked to play big mins he may be more productive. Keep him fresh, and his FG% is likely to go way up.

We could do woarse.

spurs1990
08-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Fuck it - you guys need to remember the elation we felt on August 31, 2005, when Finley picked the Spurs among many other contenders. He gave us a dynamite peformance against Dallas in 2006, and was then vital in 2007 to get ring #4.

I appreciate all he contributed and look forward to seeing him don the silver and black through 2009.

timvp
08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
1) I don't really like this signing because I don't trust Pop with Finley. If I were guaranteed that Finley will be an end of the bench player, I'd be fine with it. But I'm afraid that Pop will keep him in the rotation, which would have a disastrous ending. If Finley is in the rotation come playoff time, I'd say the Spurs have no shot at a championship. His defense is just too poor and he doesn't come close to making up for it offensively.

2) The timing makes me think that the decision was between Pargo and Finley. Perhaps the Spurs offered Finley the 2-year, $4M contract they were reportedly offering Pargo.

3) Is there a personnel move T Park wouldn't fully support? The Spurs could sign Karl Malone's mom and T Park would go to his "who is better, give me names" routine.

4) It's scary to think that 2008-09 championship rides on whether Roger Mason, Jr. can produce at a high level. If he sucks, that means Finley will be forced into a lot of minutes.

5) The Spurs may still not be done this offseason. I think the Spurs are probably still looking around for a backup point guard. A trade also wouldn't surprise me.

jcrod
08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Eh, oh well. I would've like for them to wait a little longer to see if someone else became available. But oh well.

He's a saftey net. If Mason struggles ealry, you'll plug Finley in till he catches up. Not hard to see why they wanted him back.

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
1) I don't really like this signing because I don't trust Pop with Finley. If I were guaranteed that Finley will be an end of the bench player, I'd be fine with it. But I'm afraid that Pop will keep him in the rotation, which would have a disastrous ending. If Finley is in the rotation come playoff time, I'd say the Spurs have not shot at a championship. His defense is just too poor and he doesn't come close to making up for it offensively.

That's my biggest fear. I remember Pop started Smith in the beggining of 03 season and Pop likes Finley much more than Smith.

I think Pop will play Mason and Finley may take Ime's minutes behind Bruce

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
SS- I actually agree that I exaggerated and that I emphasized Finley's mistakes because of my dislike for having him on the team right now..but I stand by my argument..I expect much more out of Finley than I do out of a Bowen or Udoka offensively..Finley was a 20 point scorer in Dallas, so he should be better suited for passing/ball handling since he was used to having the ball in his hands..while he was never known as a passer, he's a veteran that should be smart enough to make good decisions with the ball and handle it better..

if only we could have kept Barry..

whottt
08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Here...I fixed it for you.

[OH MY GOD. I'm SO sorry that I directed those comments at you. Boy, do I feel embarassed. I mean, I've been pouring through each and every thread here for like 18 hours a day, chronicling each and every posters proclivities (the people who post here are really important in the grand scheme of things you know). And, I KNEW YOU HATED BARRY!!! How foolish of me.

Despite your utter failure to say anything other that "don't you know who I am," you still said nothing about the fact that Bones was better than Fin.

What they say is true, the people in San Antonio are fat and stupid.

So let's see your track record so far

#1. Directed Pro Barry argument towards poster who has been such a staunch Barry supporter he is often called Erin Barry. For absolutely no reason other than ignorance and inability to hit quote in response to the correct poster. Way to make a positive impression on the board with your knowledge :tu

#2. When poster asked for clarification of why those comments were directed at him, instead of the intelligent, "my bad" response...you answered with a smartass comment which only made you look stupider.

#3. Got ass kicked severely by quote function yet again.

#4. Insulted the majority of this board by saying San Antonians are fat and stupid as an attack directed towards Pro Barry poster, who lives in Austin.

So let's see who you've managed to attack and annoy so far...BarryFans and San Antonians...and yet here you are a Barry and a Spur fan...

One of us is way off course here...and I don't think it's me.

Way to go slick...only people I've ever encountered that are actually that stupid, while alternately thinking themselves to be extremely clever, are Lawyers and SR refugees...my guess is that you are both, or else ElNono got a new nick.

ducks
08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
if finely was going to get major minutes would he not have been signed way before today

T Park
08-15-2008, 07:05 PM
1) I don't really like this signing because I don't trust Pop with Finley. If I were guaranteed that Finley will be an end of the bench player, I'd be fine with it. But I'm afraid that Pop will keep him in the rotation, which would have a disastrous ending. If Finley is in the rotation come playoff time, I'd say the Spurs have no shot at a championship. His defense is just too poor and he doesn't come close to making up for it offensively.

2) The timing makes me think that the decision was between Pargo and Finley. Perhaps the Spurs offered Finley the 2-year, $4M contract they were reportedly offering Pargo.

3) Is there a personnel move T Park wouldn't fully support? The Spurs could sign Karl Malone's mom and T Park would go to his "who is better, give me names" routine.

4) It's scary to think that 2008-09 championship rides on whether Roger Mason, Jr. can produce at a high level. If he sucks, that means Finley will be forced into a lot of minutes.

5) The Spurs may still not be done this offseason. I think the Spurs are probably still looking around for a backup point guard. A trade also wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah yeah yeah, sorry if I like it.

Its horrible.

Spurs are done.

Sell my season tickets.

Happy fuckfaces?

Fuck all of you.

ThunderStix®
08-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Why is Spurs not get some good young players? Not ones like Hill but better than this? They not need old players like Finley. Is Horry also coming back? Spurs is not doing good this off season.

I is agree with you, the Spurs is making stupid moves this off season, they is definitely need to get younger or they find selfs in not good playoff position.

They is also need to get Ginobili healthy so they can beat Lakers.

Cloud786
08-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Finley Sux.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Its horrible.

Spurs are done.

Sell my season tickets.

Happy fuckfaces?

Fuck all of you.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x73/doubleplusundeadmeenu/oh_snap.gif

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Great points....all of them.

That's exactly what scares me about Finley too. When it comes to Finley, Pop is like a crack addict. He can't seem to put him aside...and if he does, he always comes back to him - usually to his own detriment.

AFBlue
08-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I understand the potential FO frustration with most of your post, but I'm not sure I get this part. How has Hill proven what he can do, one way or the other? (Spurs FO going after Pargo isn't acceptable as a "sign that they've given up on Hill." We don't know what the Spurs intentions with Pargo were, whether as a PG backup, an insurance policy, or a guard who would get most of his minutes at the 2, and that they would have used a roster spot on instead of Finley. Based on the timing of things, the last one actually seems a possibility.)

The FO was pretty open about their expectations for Hill, saying that they thought he could contribute immediately and serve as a backup to Tony Parker.

They've sinced backed off those draft day exclamations and his inconsistent play at SL is a big reason why.

I didn't say anything about Pargo or what the Spurs going after him meant for Hill.

Bottom Line: Spurs expected Hill to be ready when he was drafted...and he's not close.

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Its horrible.

Spurs are done.

Sell my season tickets.

Happy fuckfaces?

Fuck all of you.

All things considered, would you rather have Finley, Ross, Dixon, Giricek, Horry or Gist on the team next season?

Thanks in advance.

T Park
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Gist and Giricek.

It aint happening, so no need in running around panicking.

timvp
08-15-2008, 07:21 PM
All things considered, would you rather have Finley, Ross, Dixon, Giricek, Horry or Gist on the team next season?

Thanks in advance.Personally, if the Spurs were just looking to sign a guy for veteran leadership, I would have preferred Horry over Finley. Horry is someone that just gives the team confidence even if he's the 12th man.

Finley to me only makes sense if he's given the role Steve Smith had by the end of the '03 season. If Pop is telling him that he's likely not going to be in the rotation and Finley still signed, I'd give the transaction a thumbs up. However, I just can't imagine that scenario being true.

SenorSpur
08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
The FO was pretty open about their expectations for Hill, saying that they thought he could contribute immediately and serve as a backup to Tony Parker.

They've sinced backed off those draft day exclamations and his inconsistent play at SL is a big reason why.

I didn't say anything about Pargo or what the Spurs going after him meant for Hill.

Bottom Line: Spurs expected Hill to be ready when he was drafted...and he's not close.

I found it unusual for Pop to "gush" about a FA, the way he did about Hill. Sure he was inconsistent in SL play, but I don't think he's without value. He's going to need court time in order to develop. Perhaps some early time with the Toros is in order. The good thing is he's already a good defender. His offense can and will catch up. We'll probably see more of him as the long season progresses.

I still wish Pargo would've taken the bait, but I'm not surprised he didn't. I felt he was using the Spurs all along. Also, not surprised the Spurs turned back to Finley.

objective
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Finley to me only makes sense if he's given the role Steve Smith had by the end of the '03 season. If Pop is telling him that he's likely not going to be in the rotation and Finley still signed, I'd give the transaction a thumbs up. However, I just can't imagine that scenario being true.

I agree totally about not trusting Pop with Finley (I don't trust him with the non-Duncan bigs either).

And the key is Steve Smith by the end of 03. Unfortunately, at the beginning of 02/03 Smith was still the starter until he got hurt very very early. By that time his long history of knee and leg issues finally caught up with him and forced Pop in a different directions.

Too bad the Michael Finley has pretty much been an iron man, he doesn't have the same history as Smith.

If Finley doesn't get hurt this year somehow, I think it more than likely that he has the same exact role in 09 as he did in 08.

baseline bum
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Personally, if the Spurs were just looking to sign a
guy for veteran leadership, I would have preferred Horry over Finley. Horry is someone that just gives the team confidence even if he's the 12th man.

Ouch. Steve Smith 2003 role = seeing the floor only when the team's up 25. I like Finley a bit better than that. I'd be happy seeing him in a Steve Kerr role... i.e., if nothing else is working, throw him in and pray that he can give you 5 minutes of turn back the clock play.

The Truth #6
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I love the idea of Finley riding the pine like Steve Smith however there is no Stephen Jackson waiting in the wings to come in and take his minutes. Mason? We'll see.

Pop must be one of the most thick headed people on the planet. It's as if the obvious need to get younger only inspires him more to do the opposite.

I never saw anything other than ego to get excited about Finley deciding to come here. We should have tried to find the long 3 way the hell back then, but instead we create a logjam and give Barry's minutes to Finley. Ugh. It's hard to see how we didn't squander part of Barry's time here because Pop had a bromance with Finley.

I would have rather stuck with Big Dog v.2.0 for another year. His jumper was better and he would have been the only guy other than Tim with a post game, in addition to being cheaper.

I'm sure people will disagree with this and that's fine, I don't care.

The FO's shaky decision making ability is what is most troubling. We are so risk averse cheap, and in love with Europe that we can't seem to move forward. It's not that Presti and Pritchard were the true brains behind the scenes (though one can make a solid case) but there doesn't seem to be anyone in the FO to challenge these retarded decisions. Like with any dynasty (political or otherwise) the only people left are the pure sycophants who tell the boss that whatever they do is gold.

The players are the only ones who can hope to surprise me next year. As a coach, Pop is near God, but the personnel moves remind me of a leader who is sequestered from reality.

baseline bum
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM
If Finley doesn't get hurt this year somehow, I think it more than likely that he has the same exact role in 09 as he did in 08.

Yeah, I'm pretty scared the Roger Mason signing is pretty much at the expense of Udoka's minutes and not Finley's.

timtonymanu
08-15-2008, 07:42 PM
man, here i was looking forward to this offseason. and the most exciting thing for me was the resigning of kurt thomas. since finley was signed this late, he should know that he has to step up his game and work on his shot since he cant defend at all.

Tully365
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty scared the Roger Mason signing is pretty much at the expense of Udoka's minutes and not Finley's.

I hope not. I'm hoping it looks something like this:

Mason 20-25 mpg
Udoka 20-25 mpg
Finley 12-18 mpg

AFBlue
08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
People act like Finley is going to get a free pass if he has crappy play, but I don't think that's the case...in the long run.

I think it's very possible that Finley is in the starting 5 to begin the season, but I fully expect Udoka, and to a lesser extent Mason, to challenge Finley for the starting spot and minutes.

Pop does value Finley's intangibles, but I don't think they're going to buy him much room for error when the season begins.

HarlemHeat37
08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm expecting Mason to start, and I hope that he does..I watched a number of his games last year, and he's going to surprise some people..great work ethic and should get better playing in our system..

I don't mind Finley as much if he's only gonna play at certain times..but like others have said, the combination of Finley+Pop is the part that scares me the most..

jcrod
08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Ouch. Steve Smith 2003 role = seeing the floor only when the team's up 25. I like Finley a bit better than that. I'd be happy seeing him in a Steve Kerr role... i.e., if nothing else is working, throw him in and pray that he can give you 5 minutes of turn back the clock play.

:tu

baseline bum
08-15-2008, 09:06 PM
People act like Finley is going to get a free pass if he has crappy play, but I don't think that's the case...in the long run.

It has been the case the previous two years.

Fabbs
08-15-2008, 09:31 PM
How do the two dollar amounts compare, or will it ever be known?
The amount Barry would have taken to stay vs the amount Findawg is going to sign for? Or if the Spurs FO never was going to offer Barry a thing, what did he sign with Hou for vs Findawgs new contract?

How the *&^% Barry *played himself out of a position* with his 2008 playoff performance vs Findawgs is beyond me. Assuming the money is close to the same. Or did Barry just want to get more playing time and ball handling duties, something Numb Nutts was seldom going to give him.

Props to Fins for 2007 playoffs, but i don't think he'll even sniff that performance again.

The Truth #6
08-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Subtraction by addition.

Presti makes one savvy move after enough. Meanwhile, our FO acts like blundering, drunken characters out of a miserable Dostoevsky novel.

Luckily our 4 rings proves that everything we do is genius.

If Manu can somehow pull out a season for the ages he will overcome the trash the FO has dealt out to us. Basically, we're going to ride the Big 3 into the sunset and then throw as many rennaissance nerds around them as possible. It's like we're recruiting for an academic Decathalon and not a title contending basketball team.

T Park
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Presti makes one savvy move after enough

What has presti done lately thats so genius?

bdictjames
08-15-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont know if I should be happy or sad about this. Im happy for now though. Anyway what's the news on the roster? How many free roster spots are left?

vy65
08-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Here...I fixed it for you.

So let's see your track record so far

#1. Directed Pro Barry argument towards poster who has been such a staunch Barry supporter he is often called Erin Barry. For absolutely no reason other than ignorance and inability to hit quote in response to the correct poster. Way to make a positive impression on the board with your knowledge :tu

#2. When poster asked for clarification of why those comments were directed at him, instead of the intelligent, "my bad" response...you answered with a smartass comment which only made you look stupider.

#3. Got ass kicked severely by quote function yet again.

#4. Insulted the majority of this board by saying San Antonians are fat and stupid as an attack directed towards Pro Barry poster, who lives in Austin.

So let's see who you've managed to attack and annoy so far...BarryFans and San Antonians...and yet here you are a Barry and a Spur fan...

One of us is way off course here...and I don't think it's me.

Way to go slick...only people I've ever encountered that are actually that stupid, while alternately thinking themselves to be extremely clever, are Lawyers and SR refugees...my guess is that you are both, or else ElNono got a new nick.

Sorry my internet board proficiency is not up to your standards -- I'll be sure to get right on that:toast.

Now, this might be the lawyer in me - but I'm still baffled as to what you are so poorly trying to say.

1. I directed a pro-Barry argument to a Barry supporter: what's your point? Again, I'm sorry I don't spend my free time coming up with scouting reports on the posters here. Do you? Do you act like a stalker, compiling detailed reports on the proclivities/ideologies of the posters here? Have you failed at life that badly?

Oh, and you're totally justified for blaming the guy who doesn't post here that often for being confused about another poster who has "I heart Michael Finley" under his name." How could I not know that you were a Barry fan? I'm really fucking dumb for that.

2. What clarification were you looking for? If anything, I was confused - hence - I stated "I dunno if you're pulling some Andy Kaufman type shit." Kaufman, who you're uncultured ass obviously has never heard off, was known for certain personas, such as Latka on Taxi, or the lounge singer Tony Clifton. If anything, I was complimenting you - but again - you're too fucking stupid to have picked up on it. Instead of saying "my bad, let me clarify" you acted like a dickface and launched into a tirade.

3. You're absolutely right about the quote function. I'm not versed in the way of the message board -- I do other things with my life beyond posting on the internet.

4. I lived in San Antonio for 9 years -- and I have no problem saying that the majority of people who live in that shit hole are both fat and stupid. I don't give a shit about offending most the people on this board -- If they get offended by what some yokel on a Spurs message board says about the population of San Antonio, then they're fucked as is.

And sorry I haven't stalked you and divined that you live in Austin. Really, my apologies. Is there anything else I should know before having the *privilege* of carrying this tete-a-tete further?

And since when has loving San Antonio been a requirement to being a Spurs fan? You're absolutely right - I've insulted SA -- I'll insult it again and again. But I love my Spurs. What the fuck was your point?

Ironically enough -- you say nothing on the "Finley was an awful signing count." With regard to the entirety of your post, in legalese, we'd say "objection, non responsive."

But hey - you're a champ buddy -- given the number of times you've intimated that I *should* know all sorts of random details about who you are on here, I bet you get pussy on an hourly basis.

Sean Cagney
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM

LOL then you would be happy seeing him a one quarter basically the whole playoffs and maybe a game or two after that :rollin. I think he will have more of a role than just that, but I see what you are saying on that part.

T Park
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Steve kerr role with just as much influence in the locker room

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Details of the finalized deal weren't immediately available, but Henry Thomas, who represents Finley, said the Spurs have made a commitment to Finley that stretches "beyond just a year" and that the new contract would pay more than the veteran minimum of $1.3 million.

"Obviously, Michael had a great first three years in San Antonio," Thomas said. "He took his time, because he had some interest from other contending teams. He just wanted to evaluate everything and make sure he made the right decision."

milkyway21
08-15-2008, 10:50 PM
nice! I like Finley as a mentor for Hill/Hairstron

me too.

i think he's okay even if he's given reduced minutes.

He really love this team, ditched Miami, Cleveland...I think he really love to be with this team or Tim Duncan

Ice009
08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
if finely was going to get major minutes would he not have been signed way before today

lol interesting point Ducks. That doesn't mean Pop will revert back to his old self though and go back to using Fin too much.

pad300
08-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I dont remember Van Excel honestly.

Devin Brown is NEVER coming back, his work ethic is beyond horrible. Bonzi Wells is a piece of shit.
Snyder sucks, Johnson sucks worse, Ross is pathetic offensively, Brent Barry because he signed with the Rockets, Marcus Banks? Suns fans hated him, think about that. Malik Hairston is not close to being ready for the NBA.

The only legit one is Giricek, and I have no answer to that one.

About Van Excel, be happy you don't remember, very happy...

Devin Brown and Bonzi Wells, you essentially have character concerns about... Well, we've had low character guys before (SJax anyone? Big Dog?). Still, I'll bow to your superior character assessment skills...

Snyder and Johnson suck hey... Well newsflash - Finley SUCKS WORSE. I'm not arguing that these 7 guys are great Bball players. I'm arguing their better than a 35 year old Finley who has no offence but shooting (and doesn't that consistently) and who plays lousy defence...

Considering PER as an effective summary of offensive capability (it doesn't cover defense worth a damn, but Finley sucks at that - none of the 7 guys are worse at it than him. Even Barry is a tie...). Linton Johnson when he got decent minutes (06/07 with Hornets) 14.0. Snyder (07/08) 13.3. Ross (pathetic offensively, remember) 07/08 7.6. In 06/07 10.5. He dropped off because his shot deserted him. We're supposed to have the best shooting coach in the business. He's also the best defender of the lot... Barry signed with the Rockets because we made no attempt to resign him and that confuses the fuck out of me (07/08) 16.7. Marcus Banks? He's not an FA. I proposed Sean Banks. http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/b/banksse01d.html
He's D-league, but the guy can score the damn ball. Hairston's there because we drafted him- there had to be something we liked about the guy, right? Giricek, the one guy you don't argue with, (07/08) 9.8

Finally, for comparison, Michael Finley (07/08) 11.4.
You tell me who's gonna give more help to the team this coming season...

whottt
08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry my internet board proficiency is not up to your standards -- I'll be sure to get right on that:toast.

Now, this might be the lawyer in me *snip*

Sorry but I haven't seen you post anything so far that would in any way lead to believe that reading beyond this point would be a worthwhile use of my time. I do give you props for figuring out the complexities of the quote function though. Props :tu

Now all you have to do is master the ole Read More Post Less philsophy, and both you, and the board, will be much better off for it.

Solid D
08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2008/08/15/stoudamire_finley_getty_400.jpg

fotan2
08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Finley ain't that bad . don't know what ya'll are complaining about . yeah maybe he can no longer attack the basket and can't play D as good as his teammates, but his shooting skill will never be lost .

Spurs Brazil
08-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Finley returns to Spurs; Pargo picks RussiaREADcomments

Jeff McDonald - Express-News On a day in which the Spurs heard a “no” from one free-agent target, they got a welcome “yes” from another.

Shooting guard Michael Finley has agreed to return for a fourth season in San Antonio and more, his agent Henry Thomas said Friday.

Specific details of the agreement were not immediately available, but Thomas said the Spurs have made a commitment to Finley “beyond just a year” and that the new contract will pay more than the veteran minimum of $1.3 million next season.

“Obviously, Michael had a great first three years in San Antonio,” Thomas said. “He took his time (deciding to re-sign), because he had some interest from other contending teams. He just wanted to evaluate everything and make sure he made the right decision.”

In choosing to return to the Spurs, the 35-year-old Finley rebuffed overtures from a short list of suitors that included the NBA champion Boston Celtics.

Finley also turned down an offer to play in Europe, declining to join the parade of established NBA players headed overseas this summer. The Spurs weren't so lucky when it came to another name on their free-agent wish list.

Jannero Pargo, the point guard the Spurs had envisioned backing up Tony Parker next season, instead said “yes” to Dynamo Moscow of the Russian League, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, told the Associated Press on Friday.

Pargo — Chris Paul's primary backup in New Orleans last season — agreed to a one-year deal worth nearly $4 million, according to Bartelstein.

That figure is about twice what Pargo earned last season and substantially more than he was likely to command anywhere in the NBA. The Spurs are believed to have offered a deal starting at $2 million, the maximum they had available.

The Hornets were also trying to re-sign Pargo, 28, who averaged 8.1 points per game last season.

“We had a couple of interesting offers,” Bartelstein told the Associated Press. “We just thought it was a great opportunity. He expects to do this for a year, take a deep breath and decide what to do next year. By no means does this mean we're saying goodbye to the NBA.”

With Pargo heading to Russia, it marks the second time this summer the lure of Europe has cost the Spurs a player. Tiago Splitter, the team's top draft pick in 2007, accepted a more lucrative deal to remain in Spain rather than play in San Antonio next season.

But after failing in their bid to add another new face to their backcourt, the Spurs will be happy to welcome back a familiar one.

The crown jewel of the Spurs' free-agent class three summers ago, Finley will return with a fraction of the fanfare that greeted his arrival in 2005. He averaged a respectable 10.1 points as a part-time starter last season, and is the only Spurs player to have appeared in every game over the past two campaigns. But he could see his role diminished with the entrance of swingman Roger Mason Jr.

Still, the Spurs have long prized Finley's professionalism and leadership, and were eager to bring him back — especially after losing fellow shooter Brent Barry to Houston earlier this summer.

Finley's “yes” wasn't dependent upon a “no” from Pargo. The Spurs' best-laid plans called for signing them both.

Now, they will have to be satisfied with splitting the difference.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/finley_returns_to_spurs_pargo_picks_russia100.html

DROB4EVER
08-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Still hope we get another young wing but Ill take him. Give him 8mpg and save his legs for playoffs.

I think his fg% will go up as a bench guy, he just logged too many mins last year and lost his stroke because of it.

No way should he be playing 20 plus minpg.

baseline bum
08-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Anything more than minimum is too much for a 10th-12th man, so expect to see Finley playing 25 minutes a night again. :pctoss

NewJerSpur
08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Wow...just wow. I think I heard Boris Diaw licking his chops. Well, at least we have 6 months until the trade deadline, although I'm not sure what can be traded at this point. I'd rather have signed Giricek myself.

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
As I mentioned before, he's Kerr 2008 now...nice guy, can make shots when unguarded and good for the locker room.

rj215
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Finley as the third or fourth guy off the bench ain't to bad.

Sure we needed to get younger and with Hill, Tolliver, and Mason we did just that. We still 'got rid of' Horry, Barry, and Stoudamire: three old heads that were on their last legs.

And sure we didn't get some free agents like Maggette or Pargo but if someone else wants to overpay for them who cares.

Spurs fans are some of the most ungrateful fans out there. Ask a Suns fan if he'd like 4 championships. Hell ask Mark Cuban.

Do I agree with every move the FO makes? Hell no, but I'm willing to wait and see before I call Pop 'a crack addict'.

whottt
08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Steve Kerr is the greatest PCT 3 shooter in NBA history, single season, and career...

Michael Finley is nothing like that...the best 3 PCT year of Finley's career would probably qualify as Kerr's worst.

Kerr was used to playing a limited role and coming in and hitting 3's cold, with little or no warm up and very few shot attempts...Finley is not. Finley is a guy that lead the NBA in minutes played multiple times in his career.

He's used to getting his shots, I don't know why anyone thinks Finley is going to be good in that limited role.

I'll say it right now, if that's Finley's role...this will be the worst shooting season of his entire career.

Michael Finley is not a shooter...he is a scorer....a washed up scorer with no lift.

Tully365
08-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Finley's “yes” wasn't dependent upon a “no” from Pargo. The Spurs' best-laid plans called for signing them both.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/finley_returns_to_spurs_pargo_picks_russia100.html

McDonald doesn't explain how he knows this, but if it's true maybe they are still in play for a Kirk Snyder or a Giricek.

baseline bum
08-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Finley as the third or fourth guy off the bench ain't to bad.

Sure we needed to get younger and with Hill, Tolliver, and Mason we did just that. We still 'got rid of' Horry, Barry, and Stoudamire: three old heads that were on their last legs.

And sure we didn't get some free agents like Maggette or Pargo but if someone else wants to overpay for them who cares.

Spurs fans are some of the most ungrateful fans out there. Ask a Suns fan if he'd like 4 championships. Hell ask Mark Cuban.

Do I agree with every move the FO makes? Hell no, but I'm willing to wait and see before I call Pop 'a crack addict'.

I would have much rather brought Rob back. He had a rough start to the year with his daughter's health problems, and never was able to catch up. Finley on the other hand had no reason for his bad play last season other than getting too damn old.

Counting playoffs, Fin has played 1.5 - 2 seasons worth of minutes more than Rob has in his career (depending on whether they'd play starter's minutes (40) or reserve minutes (30) per night).

baseline bum
08-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Plus, Rob's a guy with lots of intangibles... taking charges, grabbing rebounds, getting blocks... all kinds of things that help the team win even when he can't hit shit from the field. Finley is pretty much worthless when his shot isn't falling. RC fucked up bigtime choosing Fin over Rob.

roycrikside
08-16-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't think he can. I think Barry is better for it, but hes not back so the whole bitching about it is moot and pointless.

bitching about Manu playing in the Olympics was moot and pointless, but it didn't stop you from doing it for a solid month.

roycrikside
08-16-2008, 02:20 AM

Its horrible.

Spurs are done.

Sell my season tickets.

Happy fuckfaces?

Fuck all of you.

I'm confused. I thought you already gave up on the Spurs after Game 4 against the Pistons.

vy65
08-16-2008, 02:31 AM
*snip*

Sorry but I haven't seen you post anything so far that would in any way lead to believe that reading beyond this point would be a worthwhile use of my time. I do give you props for figuring out the complexities of the quote function though. Props :tu

Now all you have to do is master the ole Read More Post Less philsophy, and both you, and the board, will be much better off for it.

Sorry, but I couldn't give a flying fuck as to appeasing your sorry fat faggot ass...

You're obviously an idiot because you still haven't given a reason why signing Fin was good.

How's that for brevity?

timvp
08-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Specific details of the agreement were not immediately available, but Thomas said the Spurs have made a commitment to Finley “beyond just a year” and that the new contract will pay more than the veteran minimum of $1.3 million next season.

:depressed

Bring on the two-year, $4M contract. Hopefully at least part of the second year is unguaranteed.

whottt
08-16-2008, 02:38 AM
You're obviously an idiot because you still haven't given a reason why signing Fin was good.

You idiot.

Where are all these idiots coming from? Good lord.

Tully365
08-16-2008, 03:56 AM
I think choosing Finley over Horry makes sense. Horry is older and in a greater state of decline. He has also been less durable. Look at last year:

Horry
2.5 ppg in 13 mpg
2.4 rpg
1 apg
31.9% FG
25.7% 3PT

Finley
10.1 ppg in 26.9 mpg
3.1 rpg
1.4 apg
41.4% FG
37% 3PT

Bonner
4.8 ppg in 12.5 mpg
2.8 rpg
0.5 apg
41.6% FG
33.6% 3PT

Horry's numbers are worse than everybody's favorite whipping boy, Matt Bonner. Horry at one time provided intangibles, especially with D and timely threes, but I just don't think he's that guy anymore. His numbers had been in steady decline for three years, and I don't think it's a reasonable expectation that this trend could reverse. I agree with the FO letting him go.

SenorSpur
08-16-2008, 05:12 AM
I think choosing Finley over Horry makes sense. Horry is older and in a greater state of decline. He has also been less durable. Look at last year:

Horry
2.5 ppg in 13 mpg
2.4 rpg
1 apg
31.9% FG
25.7% 3PT

Finley
10.1 ppg in 26.9 mpg
3.1 rpg
1.4 apg
41.4% FG
37% 3PT

Bonner
4.8 ppg in 12.5 mpg
2.8 rpg
0.5 apg
41.6% FG
33.6% 3PT

Horry's numbers are worse than everybody's favorite whipping boy, Matt Bonner. Horry at one time provided intangibles, especially with D and timely threes, but I just don't think he's that guy anymore. His numbers had been in steady decline for three years, and I don't think it's a reasonable expectation that this trend could reverse. I agree with the FO letting him go.

There's no question at all that letting Horry walk was the right decision. As far as I'm concerned, they gave him one more year than they really should have.

ceperez
08-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Never been comfortable with signing Pargo. Signing Pargo would have sent Hill to D-league. BTW, how come we haven't heard a word about Hill's signing or was that press conference it?

Finley is okay so long as he's a bench player. Better to have him play for the Spurs than the Suns or Mavs have him hitting the open jumper.

ElNono
08-16-2008, 07:17 AM
You idiot.

Where are all these idiots coming from? Good lord.

"Trust me, I know..."(TM)

mrspurs
08-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Aw, he's pissed. :lol

Such profane language.

Stop being such a tempermental little girl. After all, you started this venomous backbiting with every poster that criticized Finley.

Meanwhile, back 'atcha sweetheart.:lol

your a mean person senor :lol......... nah you just take time to put morons in their place, i on the other hand dont waste my time with morons. my hats off to ya senor...........:hat

mrspurs
08-16-2008, 07:48 AM

100% agreed with the pop and fin thing. and i too also believe the FO is looking for another point and or big. those are 2 spots we need help and insurance in :wow

benefactor
08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
All you guys that are saying things like "Finley ain't bad as a third guy off the bench," or "Finley can be Kerr/Steve Smith" need to wake the hell up. Finley will start at the beginning of the season and probably most of the year. Finley will get too many minutes and Pop will stick with him when he should pull him out of the game. What in our history with Finley makes you think otherwise?

We had better hope that Mason comes in and make a serious impact off the bench, because if he misses one shot or misses one defensive assignment then Pop will pull the Finley card with the quickness...even if Finley misses a dozen of each.

mrspurs
08-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I love the idea of Finley riding the pine like Steve Smith however there is no Stephen Jackson waiting in the wings to come in and take his minutes. Mason? We'll see.

Pop must be one of the most thick headed people on the planet. It's as if the obvious need to get younger only inspires him more to do the opposite.

I never saw anything other than ego to get excited about Finley deciding to come here. We should have tried to find the long 3 way the hell back then, but instead we create a logjam and give Barry's minutes to Finley. Ugh. It's hard to see how we didn't squander part of Barry's time here because Pop had a bromance with Finley.

I would have rather stuck with Big Dog v.2.0 for another year. His jumper was better and he would have been the only guy other than Tim with a post game, in addition to being cheaper.

I'm sure people will disagree with this and that's fine, I don't care.

The FO's shaky decision making ability is what is most troubling. We are so risk averse cheap, and in love with Europe that we can't seem to move forward. It's not that Presti and Pritchard were the true brains behind the scenes (though one can make a solid case) but there doesn't seem to be anyone in the FO to challenge these retarded decisions. Like with any dynasty (political or otherwise) the only people left are the pure sycophants who tell the boss that whatever they do is gold.

The players are the only ones who can hope to surprise me next year. As a coach, Pop is near God, but the personnel moves remind me of a leader who is sequestered from reality.

well said......except i never considered pop as god, not even close, if anything i consider pop just an excellent coach who got lucky to have had the chance tobe surrounded with 5 superior players. david,tim,tony,manu and bowen would make any coaches life easier then most......pop aint all that in my book :nope

mrspurs
08-16-2008, 08:07 AM
man, here i was looking forward to this offseason. and the most exciting thing for me was the resigning of kurt thomas. since finley was signed this late, he should know that he has to step up his game and work on his shot since he cant defend at all.

meaning no disrepect, thats like asking someone who has had his life sent into a wheelchair, and asking him to keep up with the rest of us......its not gonna happen im afraid...finley will decline just like all old players decline, one yr. at a time until one day, there is no more playing on the court :downspin:

Capt Bringdown
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
As I mentioned before, he's Kerr 2008 now...nice guy, can make shots when unguarded and good for the locker room.

Except Kerr brought course sense and ball handling. Fin, when he's not hitting his shots is worthless on the court. Poor comparison IMO.

wildbill2u
08-16-2008, 09:11 AM
We survived several years of Sean Marks and other notables riding the bench so we can survive Finley as a back up if that is the purpose of signing him.

The worry I have is that Pop will not use him as a fill-in but will have him in the regular rotation or, God forbid, starting again.

Capt Bringdown
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
We survived several years of Sean Marks and other notables riding the bench so we can survive Finley as a back up if that is the purpose of signing him.

Except time doesn't stand still - we ain't the same team we were a few years ago.

pad300
08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Michael Finley is nothing like that...the best 3 PCT year of Finley's career would probably qualify as Kerr's worst.

For shits and giggles,
Steve Kerr's Worst 3pt Shooting season (98/99) - .391
Steve Kerr's 2nd worst 3Pt Shooting Season (00/01) - .421

Michael Finley's Best 3Pt shooting season (04/05) - .407
Michael Finley's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .405
Michael Finley's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (05/06) -.394
Last Seasons Michael Finley's 3Pt shooting - .370

Brent Barry's Best 3Pt shooting season (00/01) - .476
Brent Barry's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .452
Brent Barry's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (06/07) -.446
Last Seasons Brent Barry's 3Pt shooting - .429

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Son of a bitch. Fuck. Mother fucker. And every other thing like that you could think to say. :td

gameFACE
08-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm surprised no one has come up with one of those "FAIL" pictures you see everywhere.

If he rides the end of the pine it's not as bad as it appears considering no other free agent is left. Hopefully the fact that he got more than the vet's minimum could help out in a trade later in the season. Trade bait, please.

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Steve Kerr is the greatest PCT 3 shooter in NBA history, single season, and career...

Kerr was used to playing a limited role and coming in and hitting 3's cold, with little or no warm up and very few shot attempts...Finley is not. Finley is a guy that lead the NBA in minutes played multiple times in his career.

Michael Finley is not a shooter...he is a scorer....a washed up scorer with no lift.

To quote Steve Kerr, he had a "moment" as a Spur. But other than that game and maybe hitting a couple of shots against the Nets, his time as a spurs was relegated to the Bench. Finley may not be the best 3 PCT shooter in league history, but he has hit plenty of big shots for us over the last 3 years and made a hell of a lot more contribution than Kerr ever did. He was also an All Star at one point.

My comparison was pointed more towards what he'll provide from being in the locker room.

angel_luv
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Good news. Welcome back, Finley! :)

T Park
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised no one has come up with one of those "FAIL" pictures you see everywhere.

If he rides the end of the pine it's not as bad as it appears considering no other free agent is left. Hopefully the fact that he got more than the vet's minimum could help out in a trade later in the season. Trade bait, please.

Uh, the article says 1.3, which is the vet minimum.

T Park
08-16-2008, 12:14 PM
well said......except i never considered pop as god, not even close, if anything i consider pop just an excellent coach who got lucky to have had the chance tobe surrounded with 5 superior players. david,tim,tony,manu and bowen would make any coaches life easier then most......pop aint all that in my book :nope

You could say that about Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach too.

Fucking Spurs fans... I see why Marcus Bryant took a vacation... :pctoss

Avitus1
08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Awwww fuck.

Mister Sinister
08-16-2008, 01:06 PM
S'cool. :tu

BOHOLANO#21
08-16-2008, 02:24 PM
damn. i can't believe RC resigned an old dog finley. i just don't get it. we should have resigned barry not finley. i guess i don't have to go to the game this year.:wow

tmtcsc
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
damn. i can't believe RC resigned an old dog finley. i just don't get it. we should have resigned barry not finley. i guess i don't have to go to the game this year.:wow

You are assuming Brent wanted to come back and play here. I think he wanted to play in a more open and free wheeling system where he could play at his best. That is not us.

century
08-16-2008, 04:01 PM
More bad news. Fuck!

clubalien
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM

I think this gaphic is a misprint lower down it has US.., and San antonio is part of the us

SpursFanInAustin
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Great! More tickets available for true Spurs fans unlike you.

BTW, love how you stated Finley being an "old dog" while you want Barry back. Barry's going to be 37 during next season while Finley is still 35. If you wanted to get younger, then technically the Spurs did just that by letting go of the 37 yr old and keeping the 35 yr old. I just love how fairweather Spur fans contradict themselves when it comes to the Finley/Barry subject along with the "getting older" theme.

Fabbs
08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Uh, the article says 1.3, which is the vet minimum.
Shooting guard Michael Finley has agreed to return for a fourth season in San Antonio and more, his agent Henry Thomas said Friday.

sehui
08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
cmon, findawg, show the haters this season..lol guys, watch as you eat your words and fin scores like 20 a nite :D

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2008, 09:48 AM

The worry I have is that Pop will not use him as a fill-in but will have him in the regular rotation or, God forbid, starting again.

Sean Marks was our 13th man. Pop will start this geriatric trash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I love watching Michael Finley getting used as a turnstile defensively and giving us double figures scoring once every 15-20 games.

I don't want to win another ring while Tim is here.

fify.

The Truth #6
08-17-2008, 10:40 AM

More than a year and at more than the minimum? That makes a lot of sense.

ALAMO_DEFENSE
08-17-2008, 02:28 PM
I dont care about Finley or whoever on my roster. I'll say this for the record: MANU will kill next season !!! He knows his injured feet was the reason Fakers, i mean, Lakers won. He'll be back angry, and you dont wanna see the crazy Manu angry, because we re talking about the #1 competitor in the whole planet.
Also, Tony, i mean, MR. Longoria, will be back faster than ever, and with a killer mid jumper.
Also, Duncan, i mean, MR. BEST BIG MAN EVER, will be back like always, like a silent assassin, growing up in the playoffs.

I dont care a shiiittt who is gonna be on my roster, but take my word: our BIG 3 will step up big time. SPURS CHAMPS 2009 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about it: only 2 factors won us last season: Manu's injured ankle, and David Stern LAL/BOS conspiracy. Do NOT panic !!!!!

ceperez
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
For shits and giggles,
Steve Kerr's Worst 3pt Shooting season (98/99) - .391
Steve Kerr's 2nd worst 3Pt Shooting Season (00/01) - .421

Michael Finley's Best 3Pt shooting season (04/05) - .407
Michael Finley's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .405
Michael Finley's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (05/06) -.394
Last Seasons Michael Finley's 3Pt shooting - .370

Brent Barry's Best 3Pt shooting season (00/01) - .476
Brent Barry's 2nd Best 3Pt shooting season (03/04) - .452
Brent Barry's best 3Pt. shooting season as a Spur (06/07) -.446
Last Seasons Brent Barry's 3Pt shooting - .429

I definitely will dread seeing Barry nail a 3 against us.

Been watching the Olympics and Scola's is so much more talented than Oberto.

We could have had these two players if our front office was any smarter.

Matter of fact we could have gotten Greene or Artest.

tonyisamazing
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I love Michael Finley and i am so excited he signed back!

bigfan
08-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Finley for the around the vet minimum is pretty just fine with me. He's a good player that does get in his ocassional slumps (but so did Bones) and but can win a few games for you over the season, is a great teammate and an overall good guy.

td4mvp21
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Shoot me now. Actually, shoot me when Pop plays him over the young guys.

Texas_Ranger
08-17-2008, 04:51 PM
^^ If he'll be a starter you can shoot me also! :madrun

benefactor
08-17-2008, 04:56 PM
^^ If he'll be a starter you can shoot me also! :madrun
Hold still now...I can't hit a moving target.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Bloody hell! What a poor decision. For most of last season it was clear that Finley is done as anything more than an end-of-the-bench guy - I hope that's all he is for us next year.

I'd much rather have seen us keep Brent and let Mike go... love Mike's contribution, but it's time he retired.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
The beginning of the end.

T Park
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
fify.

Keep your own bullshit to yourself thank you.

Anti.Hero
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Finley for the around the vet minimum is pretty just fine with me. He's a good player that does get in his ocassional slumps (but so did Bones) and but can win a few games for you over the season, is a great teammate and an overall good guy.

occasional slumps? It's the other way around. Occasional Bright Spots.

Barry FINALLY turned into the Barry we wanted and now he's gone. :depressed

whottt
08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
The beginning of the end.

Your sig is my email address...has been since 1996. I think I picked it then for the same reason you got it in your sig :lol

td4mvp21
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I'd much rather have seen us keep Brent and let Mike go... love Mike's contribution, but it's time he retired.

I don't get the FO's thinking-sign Finley, the guy who contributed basically nothing other than streaky shooting (he did hit some clutch threes early in the playoffs) and get rid of Barry, the guy who actually helped the team in more ways than one in the playoffs? I don't get that one bit. I love Finley but he is done and should have retired.

Spurs Brazil
08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Spurs made it official today

Spurs Re-Sign Michael Finley

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have re-signed guard Michael Finley. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
The 6-7, 225-lb Finley was one of two Spurs (Fabricio Oberto was the other) to appear in all 82 games during the 2007-08 season. He averaged 10.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 26.9 minutes and shot .414 (315-761) from the field, .370 (132-357) from three-point land and .800 (64-80) from the line. Finley scored in double figures 47 times and had 20-or-more five times on the season. The University of Wisconsin product saw action in all 17 of San Antonio’s playoff games, averaging 6.7 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 23.0 minutes per game.

Finley was originally signed by the Spurs on 9/2/05. The two-time All-Star has also spent time with the Phoenix Suns and the Dallas Mavericks. Over his 13-year NBA career, he has appeared in 976 games and has averaged 16.7 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 32.8 minutes.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/finley_resigned_080822.html

loveforthegame
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3549346

ESPN.com reported Aug. 15 that the sides had reached a verbal agreement on what NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein is a two-year deal worth $5 million with the second season at Finley's option.

bdictjames
08-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Is there any hope for Finley to be more than just a shooter this time of his career? He could learn to play better defense perhaps.

timvp
08-23-2008, 12:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3549346

ESPN.com reported Aug. 15 that the sides had reached a verbal agreement on what NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein is a two-year deal worth $5 million with the second season at Finley's option.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

This offseason just keeps getting better and better.