PDA

View Full Version : Medical Insurance

LuvBones
08-16-2008, 05:20 PM
If the company you work for doesn't offer it, where would you go to get individual medical insurance? I'm clueless in this area.. please help! :) Thanks.

leemajors
08-16-2008, 06:17 PM
BCBS is ok, that's what i had before i got hired on.

ashbeeigh
08-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I have/had aetna while I wasn't covered by my parents/employers. I never had any problems with them.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
You can contact agents and they can get you quotes.

Findog
08-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I had private insurance when I worked for the SBA as a temp and they didn't offer it. I had BCBS - they sucked ass, it was a $100 monthly premium and it was what I call "Cancer/Car Accident" insurance. Otherwise it was completely useless.

leemajors
08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I had private insurance when I worked for the SBA as a temp and they didn't offer it. I had BCBS - they sucked ass, it was a $100 monthly premium and it was what I call "Cancer/Car Accident" insurance. Otherwise it was completely useless.

i had it for my daughter and i when i was temping. It was $250 for both of us, and covered all her 1 year old visits. I never used it for myself.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2008, 09:00 PM
All you need is something in case the shit hits the fan. People are really retarded in how much coverage they purchase. If your employer provides you with a kick ass plan then by all means take it, but if you're paying for it yourself it makes no sense to pay hundreds more per month to get a doctors visit covered once a year.

Jekka
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I just did a bunch of research on this - there are a lot of different policies you can get for less than $100/mo with higher deductibles ($2500 or so) - I just needed something for catastrophic coverage. I've had United Healthcare (Golden Rule is their name for individual health policies apparently) for a long time, and they've always been great - that's who I ended up going with.

timvp
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
All you need is something in case the shit hits the fan. People are really retarded in how much coverage they purchase. If your employer provides you with a kick ass plan then by all means take it, but if you're paying for it yourself it makes no sense to pay hundreds more per month to get a doctors visit covered once a year.Exactly. Unless there is a known medical condition, an HDHP is always the way to go. If you do the math, the other options are straight up scams.

ploto
08-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Some of you must be really young. My $2500 deductible policy runs me almost $200 per month.

marini martini
08-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Some of you must be really young. My $2500 deductible policy runs me almost $200 per month.

Yep! Our$2500 deductible is $715 per month:depressed

$15. co-pay, but no prescription coverage!:(

leemajors
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
i have UHC through Apple for my daughter and i, and it runs around 250/mo. Luckily, Apple pays half. I went with the EPO, as it is better for her.

marini martini
08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Lee, you're the single Dad, right?

leemajors
08-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Lee, you're the single Dad, right?

I am as of two months ago, split custody. I always just had her on my plan though, my ex wife's insurance was through Great West... :vomit:

nsrammstein
08-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I have aetna works well for me, get it if you are able to but i mostly never use it as I walk off most of my injuries

marini martini
08-17-2008, 01:03 AM
I am as of two months ago, split custody. I always just had her on my plan though, my ex wife's insurance was through Great West... :vomit:

Good luck! :toast Hardest "job" in the world!!!!:rolleyes

ashbeeigh
08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I have aetna works well for me, get it if you are able to but i mostly never use it as I walk off most of my injuries

My aetna was $120/mnth with all thebells and whistles because I needed neurological coverage and prescription coverage. I didn't think it was bad. I had to ask like 5 times to get my "certificate of coverage" letter but they had no problem canceling my coverage when I asked last week. It was so typical of any type of business.

LuvBones
08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I just did a bunch of research on this - there are a lot of different policies you can get for less than $100/mo with higher deductibles ($2500 or so) - I just needed something for catastrophic coverage. I've had United Healthcare (Golden Rule is their name for individual health policies apparently) for a long time, and they've always been great - that's who I ended up going with.

Thanks, I looked a little into that and a few other ones. Luckily my older sis knows a lot about this stuff and is going to help me get set up. Thanks everyone. :D

SequSpur
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
If you go to the ER, they have to treat you no matter what. For free.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I havent had insurance in over a year

ashbeeigh
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM

But how much will that cost you? Even with insurance you'll have medical bills up to your ears...

well for you that's not a lot, but most people it is. Couldn't resist. Sorry.

LuvBones
08-17-2008, 10:42 PM

Yeah they would "treat" me but definitely not for free. Yeah. right.

Brutalis
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM

:lol

Hook Dem
08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Nothing in this life is "free".

BacktoBasics
08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Its amazing the importance our Country has put on healthcare. Its painfully (punintended) obvious how much more important making money is over simply finding ways to live healthy.

sa_butta
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
If the Healthcare your employer provides is terrible what do you do?? My deductable is insane and they dont want to cover shit. I pay quit a bit a month for the "low deductable plan" and it just sucks ass. We are having a baby in February and because the deductable rolls over in January Im paying out the ass. Its Robbery.