PDA

View Full Version : Spot Number 2 - Top 50 Spurs

timvp
08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
SpursTalk's Top 50 Spurs
1. Tim Duncan

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number two. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Monday morning. Please vote only once.

timtonymanu
08-17-2008, 02:36 AM
D-Rob for sure. w/o the twin towers... no championships.

duncan228
08-17-2008, 02:52 AM
There's no question in my mind, after Duncan comes Robinson. (Damn, how lucky can one franchise be?)

I can't wait to see this thread unfold.

jcrod
08-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Tim Duncan.

Robinson number one.

sabar
08-17-2008, 03:08 AM
This is a lock for Robinson

Texas_Ranger
08-17-2008, 03:10 AM
The Admiral. One of the best centers of all time, what else can I say.

Brutalis
08-17-2008, 03:37 AM
David.

I would not have made it through the things I endured growing up. At times all I had was my cards and this man to look up to. All the screaming and fighting, my step dad telling me I'm not shit and never will be, I felt that guy in the room with me telling me to look to the sky for answers and follow me as everything will be alright.

The first game I ever witnessed in the NBA was him and the Spurs as he put up 53 for the game. The interview after, I expected him to go on about how he did. I was already in awe of him and the team and falling in love as it was, but he said something like "It wasn't me, it was God, it was my team, and it was great coaching. I am blessed today and everyday to play a game for a living and I just give it my best and let you guys decide if it was good enough. Just through the grace of God and good people I was blessed today by my team." Not word for word but you get the idea. From that moment on I was hooked on something more than just a player, and a team. I was hooked on some kind of foundation I had been seeking as a child that was never there. A role model not to score 40 each night but to truly understand life and what being a role model is about.

I became obsessed. I collected Arkansas Democrat Gazette box scores, and a notebook logging all of David's stats and the teams score by quarters. We couldn't afford cable and caught very few Spurs games on NBC. But I never missed an All Star Game and did get to watch the summer Olympics in 1996 when I was 12. David killed. I even got to meet his dad, Ambrose. And I can't even explain the playoffs on TV and how they always broke my heart. I never cried growing up, but those losses as a child sent tears rolling down my face laying in bed asking why David deserves to lose, and why do nice guys always finish last, and if that was really a true saying.

Eventually I was proven wrong. And just like the man David is, he stepped down still in his PRIME for some young hot shot. David weened him, and nurtured his game. That person would not have been anything but just another better than average guy without him. Tim Duncan is in a lot of ways is David Robinson himself. His calm, his stamina, his entire demeanor was like David except for even more to the point. So focused and fixated on the goal.

Well, anyways, David is first in my book. Always will be. A top 25 player in the history of the game for sure, but the greatest Spur to ever grace the silver and black. He built this winning tradition, and he left Duncan set to destroy any foe. Mister Robinson is the definition of what is Spurs Basketball. He went out a champion on the court, just like he came in a champion off. And I could never thank him enough for pulling me in the right direction as a kid.

angel_luv
08-17-2008, 03:39 AM
David Robinson.

For Timmy to have beat out David Robinson- that was a close call so I will give it to you.
But if anyone else gets chosen over David Robinson, you guys are just crazy.

Brutalis
08-17-2008, 03:46 AM
And I have to add.. I get a sharp pain in my stomach when I think about how David is truly gone. I still tell myself, "man he is really retired and gone I can't believe it."

And to be honest I had tears rolling down my face to watch David go out on top holding that trophy. That was some higher power, some kind of 'right' that happened. Not one athlete on the planet deserved that more.

And to be even more honest, it kills me to know I never got to see him play. Just sitting here thinking about how, I never and will never get to see my favorite player play the game makes me feel so emotional like a girl.

All I know is TD is a close second, and he is already 32, and still.. I have not seen him play either. I pray and hope I will. I cannot let this happen again, I don't think I could live with myself to be straight honest. After everything David did for me I never paid him back to see him, and I hope it doesn't happen again with Tim.

sprrs
08-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Without Dave are the Spurs still in SA? He's gotta be number two. He was a great role model and one of the greatest players to play the game.

Spurs Brazil
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
The Admiral

Admiral
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
DRob, for the reasons I mentioned in the other thread.

baseline bum
08-17-2008, 11:38 AM
This one's a no-brainer after Tim got the #1 spot. The only other answer that could make any sense is Ice, but of the two, I'd clearly rank David as the better all-around player.

manufor3
08-17-2008, 11:38 AM
D-Rob, without him Timmy would be in Orlando

Mister Sinister
08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
The Admiral. The reason the Spurs were my 2nd team when I lived in Chicago, and I met him very briefly at the age of 12 when I moved down to SA. (One of the neighborhoods we looked at houses in was the one he was in at the time.) Sadly, I have no record of this other than the memory.

Biggems
08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
when i first saw your poll, i didnt even notice drossos or mccombs......i think drossos should be the #1 Spur of all-time, cause without him, we don't get out of the ABA. Without him, San Antonio never gets a major sports franchise in the 70s.

#1 should be Drossos, if we are including nonplayers, which based on your poll, we are.

rascal
08-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Gervin should be number 2. Gervin meant more to the franchise in getting into the nba than Robinson meant in getting titles. But many here don't remember Gervin so no way he gets number 2.

I would not even be surprised if parker and manu get ranked ahead of gervin.

Drossos was important but I rank great players over management.

century
08-17-2008, 12:48 PM
David Robinson. As much as I hated him being Karl Malone's bitch.

JBIIRockets
08-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Gervin never won an MVP, D-Rob did. He's no. 2

Biggems
08-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Gervin should be number 2. Gervin meant more to the franchise in getting into the nba than Robinson meant in getting titles. But many here don't remember Gervin so no way he gets number 2.

I would not even be surprised if parker and manu get ranked ahead of gervin.

Drossos was important but I rank great players over management.

I remember Ice....saw him play several times.....and I take DRob over him. DRob was a more complete player on the court and a more complete person off the court.

Ice made us a leaguewide name....DRob made us a worldwide name.

duncan228
08-17-2008, 12:56 PM

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/trouble/maloneelbow.jpg

Brutalis
08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Ignorant pecker head you are.

CubanMustGo
08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
TD #1 because he had the supporting cast and the rings.
DRob #1A because he didn't and still did amazing things, on AND off the court.

timvp
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, this spot has to go to Robinson. Gervin is close but not quite. Ditto with Drossos.

The big question will be spots three and four. I think they belong to Gervin and Drossos, however I'm not sure on the order. The only other person who I think should enter the discussion with those two is maybe Pop.

ShoogarBear
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I think it should be Gervin, then Drossos. But with the New Age voters, I think Drossos will have trouble cracking the top ten.

Newton
08-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Pop.

urunobili
08-17-2008, 07:00 PM
whottt was right D-rob should have been #1... yet again i voted him at least to make it to #2 :depressed

J.T.
08-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Can we have an option for Tim Duncan for the people who fucked up the vote in the 1st thread?

J.T.
08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
I should have used my trolls to vote in the first thread and David would have won by 100.

duncan228
08-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Can we have an option for Tim Duncan for the people who fucked up the vote in the 1st thread?

That could backfire. Duncan could end up number 1 and number 2. :lol

Dave McNulla
08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
i went with gervin. he's the one who brought me in as a fan. spurs were closer to championships with him than in most of the 90's. i'd vote drob #3 best spur (but #1 as my favorite spur of all time).

Dex
08-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I think it should be Gervin, then Drossos. But with the New Age voters, I think Drossos will have trouble cracking the top ten.

I think Drossos puts up competition for Top 5.

TD, Robinson, and Gervin will probably get the top 3 for their on-court contributions. Which, if you ask me, players SHOULD receive higher compensation than management or coaches; these are the guys putting their swear on the court.

To me, Drossos immediately drops in at 4 for bringing the team to San Antonio. Followed by Pop, for reasons that are as obvious as the top 3.

The real question will be to see the order of those two switches up, or if the CoM or Parker Pushers will come in and boost Manu and Tony into the top 5. :lol

alamo50
08-18-2008, 03:45 AM
I already voted for D-Rob in the previous poll and saw the outcome was embaresing. Hence, screw this poll.

:flipoff

Brutalis
08-18-2008, 03:59 AM
I already voted for D-Rob in the previous poll and saw the outcome was embaresing. Hence, screw this poll.

:flipoff

:toast