PDA

View Full Version : Kerr: My Western All-Stars

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
My Western All-Stars
by Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
February 7, 2005

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqam1ocWIyBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwNl Y2w-?slug=sk-westallstars020705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I have one provision for selecting my All-Stars: they each must be on a team having a good year (unless their name is Kevin Garnett). Winning is all that matters in the NBA, so if you don't win, you're not on my team.

WEST STARTERS

Point guard: Steve Nash. He has energized the Phoenix Suns by setting an unbelievable pace night in and night out – and he does so without turning the ball over. The guy simply is a winner.

Two guard: Ray Allen. His perimeter shooting is the key to the Seattle SuperSonics' ascension to the top of the Northwest Division. Allen has incredible range, plus the ballhandling skills and strength to create his own shot from anywhere on the floor.

Small forward: Dirk Nowitzki. Has anybody in NBA history ever had the package of skills Nowitzki boasts? The Dallas Mavericks are having a surprisingly strong season, and Nowitzki is the main reason.

Power forward: Tim Duncan. He's tired, he's beat up and he needs a summer off. But Duncan is still the best. The San Antonio Spurs' big man competes every night, he rebounds and defends, and after Shaq he is the most feared low-post player in the league.

Center: Brad Miller. He's not always pretty, but Miller is a complete basketball player who is helping the Sacramento Kings have a terrific season. His combination of perimeter shooting, passing and defense puts him ahead of Yao Ming and into the starting lineup.

WEST RESERVES

Guard: Manu Ginobili. One of the most competitive and fearless players in the league, the Spurs guard is relentless driving to the hole. He's also a wonderful passer and an improving shooter. And he has no ego.

Guard: Mike Bibby. The Kings point guard has never made an All-Star team, and it's about time he did. He shoots the ball as well as any point guard in the NBA, he's an excellent passer and he's running a club that is 32-15.

Forward: Tracy McGrady. After a slow start, McGrady has turned it on and the Houston Rockets are starting to come together. McGrady can score almost at will, but he is a much better playmaker than he is given credit for.

Forward: Kevin Garnett. The Minnesota Timberwolves have struggled, but KG is still bringing it every night. He's incredibly long, shoots it well, shares the ball and defends any position.

Center: Amare Stoudemire. Is he a center? No. But he plays one on TV for the Suns, so I'll stick him at this position. Stoudemire is a ridiculous leaper and he has improved his jump shot to the point where opponents have to respect it. He still needs work on defense and on the boards, but he's having too good of a season not to be an All-Star.

Wild card: Kobe Bryant. Despite missing the Los Angeles Lakers' last 10 games with a sprained ankle, Bryant deserves to be on this squad. When it comes to late-game situations, nobody is a better clutch scorer – and he is a nasty competitor.

Wild card: Tony Parker. The Spurs point guard has elevated his game, and he directs the attack for the best team in the NBA. Parker has finally become what Gregg Popovich calls "a real point guard." He looks for his teammates first and uses his amazing speed to create shots for them, but he also has the guts to try to do it himself.

SHAFTED

The All-Star game selection process is like the Oscars – somebody is going to go home empty handed. Among those getting the short end of the stick:

Shawn Marion. The Suns forward is having a terrific season and so is his team. His rebounding ability allows him to play the four position, which is why Phoenix is a matchup nightmare for its opponents.

Pao Gasol. Ironically, the Memphis Grizzlies may have cost Gasol an All-Star berth by playing so well without him while he was out with injuries. But the big man is playing at a very high level and deserves consideration.

Yao Ming. Yao is a force. He still struggles against speed and double teams, but he can really play.

Chris Webber. He's having a terrific season, but just not as good as Miller and Bibby. It would be tough to put three Kings on the list.

Elton Brand. The Susan Lucci of NBA players – he's always finishing second. For Brand to make it, the Los Angeles Clippers have to get better.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Steve is such a homer, he should sell his stock in Phoenix and take a job in our front office

usckk
02-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Seriously. FYI: I also really love Kerr because he's an alumni from Arizona. :) THis is pretty much how I got to be a SPurs fan because of how there were ariznona playres on the team, such as Sean Elliot.

1Parker1
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't understand...why does he think Yao will go home shafted and empty handed? Didn't he lead in votes and is already has the spot for the starting center in the West?

Jimcs50
02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't understand...why does he think Yao will go home shafted and empty handed? Didn't he lead in votes and is already has the spot for the starting center in the West?

Yes he did...I do not understand that either.

Unless he means Yao will be shafted because Shaq will be in front of him at the buffet line.

:)

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
These aren't Kerr's predictions. It's what he thought should have happened.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
He's not predicting! he's just saying which ones he WOULD pick if it were up to him.

E20
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
He's giving opnions on who he thinks should start.

IX_Equilibrium
02-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Interesting that he picked Dirk to start over KG

RobinsontoDuncan
02-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Dirk has been amazing this season...KG has been on a bottom feeding, underachieveing team.

2centsworth
02-07-2005, 10:53 PM
The guy wasn't on five championship teams because he was stupid.

IX_Equilibrium
02-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Dirk has been amazing this season...KG has been on a bottom feeding, underachieveing team.

I don't disagree with Steve's pick at all. I guess the argument could be made about Dirks' weaker defense than KG's. But, it would be cool to see Dirk start.

LuvBones
02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Who cares about defense in the ASG? Dirk should start. :fro

IX_Equilibrium
02-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Who cares about defense in the ASG?

That is the whole problem

JUUOT
02-07-2005, 10:58 PM
it is by far the best team that the west could potentially align. or should i say my favourite one... the only missing peace is Pau Gasolmbut there is so much competition...

RobinsontoDuncan
02-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Pau will be an all star once Memphis becomes an established team, they aren't that far off.

sickdsm
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Outside of SA the joke about Kerr is Why did Jordan hit him when they were Bulls?

Even then he wouldn't shut up about the Spurs.