PDA

View Full Version : DuPree: Ginobili popular as fans reach for stars

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Ginobili popular as fans reach for stars
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-02-07-one-on-one_x.htm

The reserves for the All-Star Game will be named today, voted to the respective teams by the coaches in each conference, but here are the seven for each side I think are the most deserving:
In the West, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, Phoenix Suns; Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks; Ray Allen, Seattle Sonics; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs; and Chris Webber, Sacramento Kings.

In the East, Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat; Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards; Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana Pacers; Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons; Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets; Steve Francis, Orlando Magic; and Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors.

Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs was a very popular pick among readers who picked their reserves in response to this week's question.

"He is among the game's brightest and most exciting stars," said John Hancock of San Antonio. "His energy, defense, passing, play away from the ball, and fearlessness make it a no-brainer."

Players I would like to see on the team, but there just isn't room for, include Elton Brand, Los Angeles Clippers; Tony Parker, Spurs; Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies; Rashard Lewis, Sonics; and Brad Miller and Mike Bibby, Kings in the West. In the East, Antawn Jamison, Wizards; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago Bulls; Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland Cavaliers; Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics; and Emeka Okafor of the Charlotte Bobcats.

"Someone deserves to make it from the Bulls and Hinrich is one of the league's top point guards," said Bob Sandine of Laguna Beach, Calif.

Russell Porterfield of Jane Lew, W.Va., says Ilgauskas deserves to be there, too.

"Z's ability to shoot outside, efficient shooting and defensive presence are effective enough to make the talent-lacking East squad," Porterfield said. "Plus, LeBron needs a bodyguard and the Cavs are winning."

Grant Lovaasen of Sachse, Texas, thinks that Okafor should be on the team even though he is a rookie. "There are probably more deserving players in the East, but his string of double-doubles deserves recognition," he said. "If Larry Hughes (Wizards) were healthy, he'd be one of my reserves, too. ... Also, I would have selected (Stephon) Marbury (Knicks), but his head is already way too big."

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 09:49 PM
"He is among the game's brightest and most exciting stars," said John Hancock of San Antonio. "His energy, defense, passing, play away from the ball, and fearlessness make it a no-brainer."

Someone else who sees it. It's amazing to me that some Spurs fans still consider him the 3rd best player on the team.

Jimcs50
02-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Someone else who sees it. It's amazing to me that some Spurs fans still consider him the 3rd best player on the team.

Not me. I think he will be the most well known Spur in 2 yrs.

violentkitten
02-07-2005, 09:51 PM
http://www.clubjosh.com/clubhouse/bday/2002/100stars/images/howardcosell.jpg

fresh off seeing his beloved philadelphia eagles lose in the super bowl ice cold brewski seeks to reenergize his parker player hate

ducks
02-07-2005, 09:56 PM

as if your take on tp means shit
you hate the guy period so you would even say rose is more important to the spurs then tp

Spurminator
02-07-2005, 10:02 PM
In the West, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, Phoenix Suns; Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks; Ray Allen, Seattle Sonics; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs; and Chris Webber, Sacramento Kings....

Players I would like to see on the team, but there just isn't room for, include Elton Brand, Los Angeles Clippers; Tony Parker, Spurs; Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies; Rashard Lewis, Sonics; and Brad Miller and Mike Bibby, Kings in the West.

Ummm... Forgot someone, Dave.

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Not me. I think he will be the most well known Spur in 2 yrs.

Change that to 1 year and I couldn't agree more.

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:10 PM
as if your take on tp means shit
you hate the guy period so you would even say rose is more important to the spurs then tp

Manu is obviously more deserving. Get over the "you hate TP" nonsense. I was right about Manu being the better player when I said it over a year ago on SR. I was ripped and blasted for it. I'm about to be vindicated when they select him to the All-Star team and some of you just can't stand it.

violentkitten
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
uh manu is in his prime parker has yet to reach his genius

ducks
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
for your info I hope manu makes it
but I also hope tp makes it

the spurs get some allstars they might actually get more national games next year!

Manu20
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm happy if either of them make it. As long as somebody from the spurs joins duncan in Denver.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
I think Manu will make it instead of TP, but that don't necesarily mean he is the better player. I like Manu over TP, but I think they are equally effective in their positions.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
I think Manu is still a year or two away from his prime Kitten, but in all fairness i think Manu already is the best know Spurs player, I mean how many Argeintines dont know his name, and he def. utilized the worlds largest stage this summer well.

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Lets hope Tony's "prime" brings a more consistent jump shot. Working on it all offseason obviously wasn't enough. :rolleyes

RobinsontoDuncan
02-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Brewski, ummm who would you rather have that we had the option of getting?

violentkitten
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
fuck the J man the offense depends on him attacking the rim and pushing the break. hes money from 20 feet anyways.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Lets hope Tony's "prime" brings a more consistent jump shot. Working on it all offseason obviously wasn't enough. :rolleyes

Yeah shooting nearly 50% from the point guard position sucks. :rolleyes

Obviously he needs to improve his perimeter shot, but damn you can't hate a guard who shoots 49% overall.

ducks
02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
tp game is alot better then last season
even pop thinks he is a real point guard according to steve kerr

ducks
02-07-2005, 10:24 PM
he is a hole lot better shooter then aj ever was
:angel

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Brewski, ummm who would you rather have that we had the option of getting?

You obviously haven't looked at the Gilbert Arenas thread.

ALVAREZ6
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Why do people think we hate TP, Parker is the man, I wouldn't want any other PG on the Spurs.

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
he is a hole lot better shooter then aj ever was
:angel

Hole? :lol

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
tp game is alot better then last season
even pop thinks he is a real point guard according to steve kerr

So is Mike Bibby according to Steve Kerr. I would agree. How bout you?

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 11:01 PM
So is Mike Bibby according to Steve Kerr. I would agree. How bout you?

No opinion on this one ducks?

GoSpurs21
02-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Lets hope Tony's "prime" brings a more consistent jump shot. Working on it all offseason obviously wasn't enough. :rolleyessomeone obviously doesnt get to watch to many games (as of today Ginobili and Parker are both shooting .490 fg%)....stop with the hate....and just be glad the Spurs have one of the best backcourt combos

oh yea and nice choke job eagles

IceColdBrewski
02-08-2005, 12:17 AM
With the exception of only a few, Manu leads Parker in every statistical category.

Manu is better. Period.

Dre_7
02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I hate these TP vs Manu debates. They are pointless! Who cares which one is playing better then the other. They both are spurs, and they both are very good players. Im glad we have both of these young rising stars. The future looks bright.
How old are they?
22 and 26? Or something like that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Good lord. Can we knock off all the stupid Manu vs. Parker talk?

They're our boys, they both kick ass, they are going to help lead us to some more rings.

Can't you all just accept that, quit quantifying them, and get on with your lives?

Remember, the whipping boys this year have been Barry, Rose, Rasho, and soon to be Karl Malone. Let's keep it confined to those guys.

TPCris09
02-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I can't believe there are actuall Spur fans who don't like Tony Parker? That's strange. How can you not like a young, speedy pointguard? He has championship expieriene, and is tough. What are you going to do when Tim and Manu are retired, and Parker is barely 26 years old and the new face of the team?

Phenomanul
02-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Remember, the whipping boys this year have been Barry, Rose, Rasho, and soon to be Karl Malone. Let's keep it confined to those guys.

Apparently you also have a whipping girl in Spursgal....... :fro

Jimcs50
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey, we had these same debates in 97-99 betw DRob and TD. This will always happen when SA has 2 legit stars on the team..

It is that we Spurs fans are not used to having more than 1 legit star on the team, so we do not quite know how to handle it.

:)

waly.mg
02-08-2005, 09:34 AM
someone obviously doesnt get to watch to many games (as of today Ginobili and Parker are both shooting .490 fg%)....stop with the hate....and just be glad the Spurs have one of the best backcourt combos

oh yea and nice choke job eagles

I donīt agree that
Both are Shooting 49,0%, right

But Tony Shoot too many less 3 Pointers, so itīs % is very different

Manu is #27 with 39,3% from 3, with 3.5 Attempts por Game
Tony isnīt in The First 100 with 26,9% with 1,9 each Game

Manu is #40 in Scoring Shooting only 10,6 Shoots a Game
No one in the First 50, shoots less times than Manu
Tony shoots 13,1 Times and is #46 and 9 Players have More Points with Less shots

Manu is #12 from 2, With 53,9 %
Parker is #19 with 52,9%

Manu is #3 in Points per Shot Scoring 1,51 Points per Shot
Parker is #70 with 1,20 per Shot

Manu is #7 in Adjusted Field Goal %, with 55,6%
Parker is #32 with 50,9%

In all around is the Same %, but Shot by Shot not

Finally Manu Scores 15,9 Points per Game in Only 486 Shots
Tony 15,8 in 629 Shots

The Only thing for Tony is when Manu Shots 5,2 Free Throws and mading 4,2
Tony only Shots 3,6 and Made 2,4
But the % is for Manu again with 80,7% to 67,2%