PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek 13: The Search for Josh Howard

Findog
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Jesus Christ, it looks like we're never going to get back the budding All Star and "next Scottie Pippen." Instead we're left with an immature basketcase.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2008/08/josh_howard_is_neither_humbled.php

Spent my Saturday afternoon down in DeSoto at the first annual Josh Howard Foundation celebrity charity softball game.

I wish I could report that Josh is sorry for his recent arrest in North Carolina for drag racing. I wish I could report that Josh regrets his late-season admission that he smokes pot. And I wish I could report that Josh is atwitter about the upcoming basketball season, ready to redeem himself after a horrible post All-Star break that ended in his total flameout against the Hornets in the playoffs.

But, sorry, I can’t report any of that. Because the truth is – in his first public comments since the July 31 arrest – Josh was merely pissed at the media.

Though myself and The Ticket’s Donovan Lewis were at the ready, we get to blame CW33 reporter Sandra Hernandez for lighting Josh’s fuse. It’s not like she went all Becky Oliver or even Brett Shipp on Howard. She did, however, ask this question:

“With the recent events you’ve been involved in, do you still consider yourself a good role model for kids?”

Not fair to call it an incident. So far the video hasn’t made it past CW33’s newscast. But no doubt Josh became agitated, even physically and emotionally aroused.

“I don’t know nothing about what you just said,” Howard snapped as he initially walked away from Hernandez and her cameraman, only to return seconds later. “That don’t make sense for you to … that’s the last thing you should axe me. That’s not what it’s about out here. It’s about giving back to the community. That’s the only thing it’s about. Nobody don’t have time for that, man. Like, for real.”

Howard, of course, has a point. With his foundation's second charity event in the area this summer, he was again signing autographs and raising money for children. But he also missed a golden opportunity to lace the positivity of his appearance with an apology for his irresponsible actions last month.

While Howard was being calmed by former Mavs’ teammate Greg Buckner, two of his publicists efforted to nip the scene in the bud. “We’re gonna cut off the interview right now!”

To his credit, Howard returned minutes later and talked to Lewis and I about all things not marijuana- or handcuff-related. But when asked about new head coach Rick Carlisle and the upcoming season, Howard sorta mumble-grumbled:

“It’s still summer, man.”

Not long ago I loved Josh Howard. These days I worry about him.

sribb43
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
It just keeps getting worse....what a piece of trash. J-ho is making Artest look like an Angel

Surprised J-ho didnt bust out with his best line...

"Y'all crazy man"

Findog
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Too bad we can't trade this guy because about all we could get in return is a big bag of shit. He probably needs a change of scenery at this point to be effective again.

sribb43
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
best we can probably do is trade him to a team that is under the cap for a 2nd round pick, a D-Leaguer and cash considerations

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
best we can probably do is trade him to a team that is under the cap for a 2nd round pick, a D-Leaguer and cash considerations

You know you want Bonner. This is the franchise that embraced KVH, and Austin Croshere. He'd make a fine third jewel in the goofy white jump shooter Triple Crown.

sribb43
08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
You know you want Bonner. This is the franchise that embraced KVH, and Austin Croshere. He'd make a fine third jewel in the goofy white jump shooter Triple Crown.

I'm sure Donnie would love to take on Bonner to have a wanna be Dirk coming off the bench. last season wasnt the same w/o a spare white PF coming off the bench to replace Dirk

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Too bad we can't trade this guy because about all we could get in return is a big bag of shit. He probably needs a change of scenery at this point to be effective again.

Could have had Artest for him.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm not even shocked or pissed by this. It's just expected at this point.

I said from Day 1 that Josh Howard would learn nothing and that they'd better trade him ASAP for whatever they can get. This team will fail miserably with this fucking piece of trash on the roster.

Red Hawk #21
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I expected him to respond like this "I can't control what my hand and the steering wheel does, ya'll crazy man.

1Parker1
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
:lol His semi-success probably got to his head...

sribb43
08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I bet in his softball game he hit a home run his 1st AB then proceeded to strike out in his remaining AB's

Colombiano972
08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Fuck Josh Howard.

MavDynasty
08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
you cant control what the black men do

sribb43
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
http://cw33.trb.com/video/?clipId=2810627&topVideoCatNo=75285&c=&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=

Check out the video.... J-Ho is an idiot

sribb43
08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
you cant control what the black men do

pretty close to a classic J-Ho quote.

"You cant control what da ball do....y'all crazy man"

Findog
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
You can't control what the steering wheel do...yall crazy man

Findog
08-18-2008, 03:03 PM
You can't control what the hookah do...yall crazy man

sribb43
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I had to make me a new sig..that quote is the dumbest thing he ever said

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I have a theory that his basketball skills & overall sanity were kept in his braces.

SenorSpur
08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
You can't control what the wacky tabacky do...yall crazy man

The Franchise
08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
This all started spiraling out of control right around the time they traded Devin Harris.

sribb43
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
This all started spiraling out of control right around the time they traded Devin Harris.

more like getting bounced in the first round against GSW or maybe blowing 2-0 lead in the Finals....I'm mean there are so many its hard to pin-point one specific event

Findog
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
In effect the Mavs lost both Devin Harris and Josh Howard for Jason Kidd. Neither one has contributed to the Mavs since the trade. No wonder they look so ordinary these days.

I. Hustle
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
You can’t control what this thread do… Y’all crazy!

Bruno
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
J-Ho has done some mistakes but he is right on this one.
He is doing a charity even and a journalist go after him and asked him a BS question.
Josh is spending time to allow some kids to have a good time. Who fucking care if he isn't a role model ? He isn't saying to kids do like me.
Fuck this journalist.

I. Hustle
08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
You can't control what the Sandra Hernandez do... Y'all crazy!

timvp
08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I bet in his softball game he hit a home run his 1st AB then proceeded to strike out in his remaining AB'sHa.

I'm not sure why the Mavs didn't sell high on Howard. Not too long ago Howard was considered an up and coming star. Now it looks like the Mavs would have to salary dump him.

Cuban growing a conscious and stopping his trade happy ways backfired in this situation. Rick Carlisle should win coach of the year if he gets JHo to just shut up and play.

Findog
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Ha.

I'm not sure why the Mavs didn't sell high on Howard. Not too long ago Howard was considered an up and coming star.

Well, there's your answer. It's been a stunningly swift downfall. As of December there were those who were going so far as to claim he had wrestled the mantle of the team's best player away from Dirk. And his season was derailed partly by injuries and partly because of some tragedies in his family. The drag-racing incident probably hollowed out his trade value. At this point they're probably best off trying to get his head right and get him to just focus on basketball again. Easier said than done.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
J-Ho has done some mistakes but he is right on this one.
He is doing a charity even and a journalist go after him and asked him a BS question.
Josh is spending time to allow some kids to have a good time. Who fucking care if he isn't a role model ? He isn't saying to kids do like me.
Fuck this journalist.

:cry oh boo fucking hoo the mean old reporter asked him a semi-tough question.

He's a high profile athlete who has spent the entire offseason being a dumbass, OF COURSE that's what the media is going to ask him about. And this could have ended long ago. All he had to say was "I made some mistakes and I'm trying to repair my image". So far all that he has done is give a non-apology on his website that once again blamed the media.

And if he didn't want any bad publicity here, he says "No comment" and leaves. He doesn't act like an asshole to the reporter and continue to not own up to anything he's done.

Josh Howard is 100% in the wrong here.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 04:16 PM
At this point they're probably best off trying to get his head right and get him to just focus on basketball again. Easier said than done.

fuck that. get his ass off the team. they aren't winning a title either way. dump his fucking salary and wash your hands of the immature little bitch. after this failure of a season, get Kidd out of here, and dump all other salary. Rebuild.

Of course Cuban & Donnie (when they aren't busy with more important ventures like buying baseball teams and coaching foreign teams) are too damn stupid to see the truth of the situation.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one that finds the Tecmo Bo avatar mildly hypnotic? I feel like it makes me willing to agree with Mono.

Findog
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
AT this point I figure his trade value can't get lower. He might pick up his play and raise it.

Bruno
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
:cry oh boo fucking hoo the mean old reporter asked him a semi-tough question.

Sorry but it's trash journalism. Going after a player who is doing charity work just to ask him that is lame.

He's a high profile athlete who has spent the entire offseason being a dumbass, OF COURSE that's what the media is going to ask him about. And this could have ended long ago. All he had to say was "I made some mistakes and I'm trying to repair my image". So far all that he has done is give a non-apology on his website that once again blamed the media.

So you want a public apology from him because he made some mistake ? :wow

And if he didn't want any bad publicity here, he says "No comment" and leaves. He doesn't act like an asshole to the reporter and continue to not own up to anything he's done.

I don't think he has acted like an asshole. He just said that it isn't the right place to talk about that. He is damn right about that.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Sorry but it's trash journalism. Going after a player who is doing charity work just to ask him that is lame.

They had it set up where the media could interview Howard. They weren't "going after him", they were invited to attend.

So you want a public apology from him because he made some mistake ? :wow

That's generally what athletes do when they fuck up and want to repair their image.

I don't think he has acted like an asshole. He just said that it isn't the right place to talk about that. He is damn right about that.

Whether it's the right place or not, to get confrontational about it is just stupid, especially when a simple "I'm trying to fix things and become more of a role model, but I'd rather not discuss those things right now" would have sufficed.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
AT this point I figure his trade value can't get lower. He might pick up his play and raise it.

Short of him stepping up to violent crime I think you're right. Get his head screwed on a little straighter, showcase him hard in the early going, and maybe they get lucky enough for him to be looking like he was a year ago in December. Then put out the feelers at the trade deadline. They probably won't be able to get a great deal for him, but better than nothing.

Bruno
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you honestly think that athletes must have good images and should be role model ?

To me, NBA players shouldn't be role models. Even if they have worked a lot on a BB court, they have succeeded mainly because they were talented and/or big.
Do you want that a kid had someone as a role model whose main quality is to be seven feet high ?

When a NBA player do a mistake, the justice punish him. As long as it doesn't hurt his work, he doesn't owe apologies to his employer and to the fans.

timvp
08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
To me, NBA players shouldn't be role models.

Findog
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Short of him stepping up to violent crime I think you're right. Get his head screwed on a little straighter, showcase him hard in the early going, and maybe they get lucky enough for him to be looking like he was a year ago in December. Then put out the feelers at the trade deadline. They probably won't be able to get a great deal for him, but better than nothing.

I understand what mono is saying, but IMO Josh is an undervalued stock right now. It doesn't hurt them to wait and unload him later since his value has cratered out. He either turns it around and becomes a valuable asset for this team or he raises his trade value that the Mavs can get a better piece and fit for their team in return.

confined
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Howard has always had issues, ever since he came into the league he's had a short temper.

But you guys might as well forget what his trade value is now or ever, he isn't going to be traded now or anytime soon.

I. Hustle
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Am I the only one that finds the Tecmo Bo avatar mildly hypnotic? I feel like it makes me willing to agree with Mono.

When does he make the F'n touchdown?! I watch and watch and nothing! Never a touchdown!

Bruno
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I think that human being whose main quality is to have a good shooting touch and/or good ballhandling skills and/or good size and/or good speed, should be role models for the world youth.

exstatic
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I have a theory that his basketball skills & overall sanity were kept in his braces.

Some Spurs fans think the same about Malik. :lol

cash459
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
When does he make the F'n touchdown?! I watch and watch and nothing! Never a touchdown!

:lmao :lmao :lol :lol :rollin :rollin

cash459
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
When a NBA player do a mistake, the justice punish him. As long as it doesn't hurt his work, he doesn't owe apologies to his employer and to the fans.

i call bullsh**

The Franchise
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
i call bullsh**

Why do people put NBA players on a higher moral ladder than the average Joe? Because he is in the public eye? I think that's weak. Although I think he could have handle the questions with a little more tact, I don't see how something he says should have any affect on your kids. If you are looking to Josh Howard to be a role model for your kids, then you are a fucked up parent to begin with. Josh is a dummy. Why should he be held to a higher standard than that? If he matures good for him. If he doesn't good for him.

Spurtacus
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm so glad the Spurs didn't get this douche.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Why do people put NBA players on a higher moral ladder than the average Joe? Because he is in the public eye? I think that's weak. Although I think he could have handle the questions with a little more tact, I don't see how something he says should have any affect on your kids. If you are looking to Josh Howard to be a role model for your kids, then you are a fucked up parent to begin with. Josh is a dummy. Why should he be held to a higher standard than that? If he matures good for him. If he doesn't good for him.

When he's holding basketball camps for children and raising money for kids in the community with charity softball games, he's held to a higher standard.

Athletes shouldn't be viewed as role models because of what they do on the court. But once they step off the court and assume that position of being a role model, then they deserve criticism.

And I'm not pissed at him for being a bad role model, I'm pissed at him for fucking over the Mavericks, faking remorse, then spending the rest of the offseason showing everybody in Dallas that he doesn't give two fucks about his team. I'm pissed at him for defiantly blaming everybody but himself for his problems. I don't give a shit about his role model status. Hell, I wanted to trade him for Ron Artest. Josh Howard can smoke all the weed and street race all he wants as long as he isn't playing like complete shit in the playoffs, the way he did this year.

The Franchise
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
When he's holding basketball camps for children and raising money for kids in the community with charity softball games, he's held to a higher standard.

Athletes shouldn't be viewed as role models because of what they do on the court. But once they step off the court and assume that position of being a role model, then they deserve criticism.

And I'm not pissed at him for being a bad role model, I'm pissed at him for fucking over the Mavericks, faking remorse, then spending the rest of the offseason showing everybody in Dallas that he doesn't give two fucks about his team. I'm pissed at him for defiantly blaming everybody but himself for his problems. I don't give a shit about his role model status. Hell, I wanted to trade him for Ron Artest. Josh Howard can smoke all the weed and street race all he wants as long as he isn't playing like complete shit in the playoffs, the way he did this year.

You know I didn't even think about it from the fan perspective. Under those circumstances I feel you pain.:lol

j.r. haider
08-19-2008, 05:28 AM
actually smoking weed and drag racing around nc is a pretty cool thing to do.

the guy has 6 months off from work, what you expect him to do?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Drag racing - dumb, coulda killed someone. Don't be an idiot in future.

Weed - who gives a shit? And if you do, why? It's no worse than alcohol.

Blowing up at the interviewer - these guys are harrassed all the time by the media... the guy is trying to do something good (ie. charity work), yet the media can't behave appropriately to the situation (ie. let him do what he's doing, ask the questions another time).

Bonner and Vaughn and whatever else is necessary for Howard. We could resurrect his career. :tu :D

ElNono
08-19-2008, 09:00 AM
actually smoking weed and drag racing around nc is a pretty cool thing to do.

the guy has 6 months off from work, what you expect him to do?

If you had millions of dollars and 6 months off, you're telling me you'll make your vacation spot North Carolina?

RonMexico
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not even shocked or pissed by this. It's just expected at this point.

I said from Day 1 that Josh Howard would learn nothing and that they'd better trade him ASAP for whatever they can get. This team will fail miserably with this fucking piece of trash on the roster.

I said the same thing for a long time, but everyone just called me a hater (mostly dirk4mvp, ponky, and maybe stretch). He hasn't improved his maturity on or off the court...

Findog
08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
On second thought, I don't think Josh was right to react the way he did, but the reporter posed the question in the most inflammatory way possible. Josh was indignant and that's understandable, but he can't let himself get suckered in like that.

Findog
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I also find it interesting that when they asked him about Carlisle, he demurred and said "It's still summer, man." Perhaps as in "Why are you asking me about a coach I may never play for since I could still be traded before October?"

The most irritating thing about all this is that he probably just needs a change of scenery more than anything else, and will revert back to form in a different situation.

MavDynasty
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I said the same thing for a long time, but everyone just called me a hater (mostly dirk4mvp, ponky, and maybe stretch). He hasn't improved his maturity on or off the court...

Where the hell has ponky been for the last year?

She shows up everyonce in a while but thats it.

IronMexican
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
LO for Josh!

well, idk, he has all the talent in the world, but seems to be an air head.

i feel bad for him, although i shouldn't, making all those millions

Bartleby
08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
what mastery of the english language

I thought the same thing about the guy who wrote this piece:

Though myself and The Ticket’s Donovan Lewis were at the ready,

To his credit, Howard returned minutes later and talked to Lewis and I

sribb43
08-19-2008, 03:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/wayne24/Pete%20Basketball%20Pics/JoshHoward.jpg

fitzgerald
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Yall can't control wat Cubes do man. Yall trippin! Better axe somebody. Ima staying here in Big D man!