PDA

View Full Version : Forget Argentina US, does Argentina even beat Greece?

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I bet VSpan owns Argentina.

:stirpot:

vander
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
or maybe manu gets a "sore ankle" again

urunobili
08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
we have almost the same shcedule as in 2004... quarter finals Greece for the winner to meet the US in semi's... we'll see if it ends the same way... there's no one without another... :stirpot:

Bruno
08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
It should be a close one.
Argentina hasn't been impressive this year.

angel_luv
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Argentina is going to win.
I believe. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Is Argentina the top seed of their bracket? Does that translate into a U.S. v Arg. final should the two continue to advance? Are these 8 teams in a fixed bracket or is it variable based on who beats who at these point?

Where's my car? Where the heck did I park my car?

urunobili
08-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Is Argentina the top seed of their bracket? Does that translate into a U.S. v Arg. final should the two continue to advance? Are these 8 teams in a fixed bracket or is it variable based on who beats who at these point? Where's my car? Where the heck did I park my car?

I dunno where your car is...

if both the US and Argentina win they'd face on semi finals just like in 2004.

They tied Lithuania for the first spot with the argies having a WAY bigger point differential but as they beat them on the first game of the pool they dropped to second seed

in 2004 Argentina defeated Greece 69-64

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I dunno where your car is...

if both the US and Argentina win they'd face on semi finals just like in 2004.

They tied Lithuania for the first spot with the argies having a WAY bigger point differential but as they beat them on the first game of the pool they dropped to second seed

in 2004 Argentina defeated Greece 69-64

That's too bad. I wanted an Argentina-U.S. gold medal game.

And if you hear about where I parked that car please let me know. Thanks.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I want Greece to win just to spite Angel. GO GO GO Greece.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Fuck all teams that aren't USA.

T Park
08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Odelay :tu

angel_luv
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

To each his own.

But what did I ever do to you? :lol

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
To each his own.

But what did I ever do to you? :lol

You dissed team USA!:ihit:ihit:ihit

T Park
08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Im gonna be strange and root for the country I live in and love.

urunobili
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Go Texas? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Go Texas? :lol

:lmao

angel_luv
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM

I remember stating my preference that I want Argentina to win and I stand by that, just as I did in 2004.
Then I was conflicted only because Timmy and Pop were team USA members.

That said, I don't remember posting anything bad about Team USA.

If I did, it was dumb of me since team USA has been very successful so far this games.

MajorMike
08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't know. Argy is playing worse than 04, Greece is playing better, and Argy only won by 5. However, that was in Greece's home, Argy looked bad in the opening rounds as well that year then got hot, didn't have to play any favorites, and won it all.

So, I guess you could say no one knows. I see Argy winning it, tho.

Anti.Hero
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM

I don't even look at it like that.

I want Manu to beat Kobe. I'll cheer for Manu long before these other goofs on team USA (Melo, etc).

ThunderStix®
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM

:tu

ducks
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM

manu hater

ThunderStix®
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
manu hater

Manu Ginoblili is my favorite player outside of the Pistons, but I can't stand the Americans who are rooting for Argentina because of him.

When you wear a foreign country on your chest, you become the enemy. :lol

timvp
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

I don't see how you two guys can get on others about not rooting for the United States. One of you refuses to shop at quintessential American establishments such as Wal-Mart and the other one buys his carnival rides from Switzerland.

Instead of rooting for Kobe to prove your patriotism, shop at American stores and buy your carnival rides in the good ol' U S of A. Personally, I gladly shop at Wal-Mart and I purchase all of my carnival needs in the United States. In fact, if Wal-Mart ever has roll back pricing on a Tilt-a-Whirl, I'll be the first in line showing what kind of true patriot I am.

OMGLOLWTFROFL!

whottt
08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I always root for team USA...

That said I am rooting 100% against Argentina simply because of all the bandwaggoning Argie basketball "experts" to infect the forum since 2004, all of them having little or no knowledge about the game, and all of them thinking they do since one of their national teams won a medal over Team USA in a sport they had never followed prior to 2004.

Plus...in addition to that, lots of Euros take credit for Argentina's success and now consider Europe to actually be superior to USA in basketball becuase of this one incident...and no team from Europe has come close to beating a dream team for a medal.

....to smeagol, athenea, danyel and Fizzzar and all those that were here before then and wonder why I turned into such an anti-argie...sorry guys, ya'll were here then and so you know I was one of the biggest Argie supporters on the forum...but that was then and this is now, and sadly the knowledgable true Argie hoop fans like yourselves are few and far between... and I want to see some of the dickhead Argies get owned like the basketball novices they are for the weak and uninsightful takes they have dumped on this forum, both concerning basketball in general and their own team...It's for their own good and they will be more knolwledgable fans after this is over.

I am rooting for Team USA first...
I am rooting for whoever plays Argentina second.

ThunderStix®
08-18-2008, 07:04 PM

That said I am rooting 100% against Argentina simply because of all the bandwaggoning Argie basketball "experts" to infect the forum since 2004, all of them having little or no knowledge about the game, and all of them thinking they do since one of their national teams won a medal over Team USA in a sport they had never followed prior to 2004.

Plus...in addition to that, lots of Euros take credit for Argentina's success and now consider Europe to actually be superior to USA in basketball becuase of this one incident...and no team from Europe has come close to beating a dream team for a medal.

....to smeagol, athenea, danyel and Fizzzar and all those that were here before then and wonder why I turned into such an anti-argie...sorry guys, ya'll were here then and so you know I was one of the biggest Argie supporters on the forum...but that was then and this is now, and sadly the knowledgable true Argie hoop fans like yourselves are few and far between... and I want to see some of the dickhead Argies get owned like the basketball novices they are for the weak and uninsightful takes they have dumped on this forum, both concerning basketball in general and their own team...It's for their own good and they will be more knolwledgable fans after this is over.

*Applauds

This is ThunderStix®, and I approve this message. :lol

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
It's gonna be a close, unflashy, tough, low scoring, 1980's Eastern Conference Playoffs kind of game.

I predict:

- Free throws, lots of them, but not in the Mavs vs. Spurs 2006 style. No one will get an easy basket.

- A lot of technical fouls. And a lot more uncalled depending who the refs are and who is winning.

- Prigioni choking like a little bitch. He has always struggled against Greek teams when playing for TAU, so I don't see this trend changing. He has improved as games went by in this Olympics, but he's still the biggest question mark in the Argentina starting five.

- A lot of missed shots and missed second and third chances.

I expect:

- Argentina moving the ball more. If the Greeks throw full court press on Prigioni or double teams on Manu and Scola, we need to move the ball very well and find the open player. Hopefully Oberto, Nocioni and (gasp!)Delfino are ready.

- Prigioni finally having a clutch performance on both ends of the court with the national team.

- More balanced scoring and better use of the bench. Hernandez has kept rotations very short, even in a meaningless game like the one against the Russians. Manu has tournament MVP numbers, and Scola is one of the leaders in scoring. If this team is going anywhere, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino, Prigioni and the bench have to contribute more.

- Go to the paint early with Scola and Oberto. Penetrations by Manu and Prigioni. Tell Nocioni to post whoever is guarding him. Force the Greeks into a collapsed zone, move the ball, hit the open three.

- MORE MAN TO MAN PLEASE! The reason we bitchslapped a shooting team like Croatia. The reason we won gold in Athens 2004. If we can switch successfully between man and different kinds of zone, most teams would have to play near perfect when executing their offense.

Prediction:

Argentina 62
Greece 59

Ronaldo McDonald
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I won't be cheering for any team with a wife beater or Kobe.

Ronaldo McDonald
08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm going for Argentina.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM

The funniest thing about this post is mentioning Athenea who I'm not sure has ever posted anything about basketball, but has definitely posted a lot of hate - mainly directed to timvp and I. I get it that you think she's hot, but please .. she has no business being mentioned in this post as being knowledgable or a good contributor to SpursTalk.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I won't be cheering for any team with a wife beater or Kobe.

Did you check the background of the Argentinean players to make sure none of them have ever beat their wives?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't know if Roman Gonzalez has ever beaten his wife, but surely he has eaten his fair share of cows, pigs, chickens, goats, fishes, turkeys and rabbits. If it ever mooed, breathed or moved, it was on his menu!

http://www.marcadeportiva.com/img/notas/img_3445.jpg

mrspurs
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
if your born in america, have american parents, go to american schools, they why on earth would you root for any other country then america? i understand if your a teenager and have those rebel lifestyles(ive got 3 of them), but one day you will grow up and im betting many Olympics from now, you will be rooting for team usa. anything else is just plain unacceptable and unamerican. im starting to realize this place(spurstalk) is filled with kids. im guessing alot of these mickey mouse comments will end next week when they go back to school. i know many parents who cant wait for school to start.

whottt
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
There's a guy that served prison time for rape playing for Lithuania...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
we have almost the same shcedule as in 2004... quarter finals Greece for the winner to meet the US in semi's... we'll see if it ends the same way... there's no one without another... :stirpot:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FCMwSaYG4pw/RbJEDk2G_GI/AAAAAAAAAHk/jDSHWjwTFCQ/s1600/Poster%2B-%2BBand%2BWagon,%2BThe_01.jpg
Get off
:lol

timvp
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM

....to smeagol, athenea, danyel and Fizzzar and all those that were here before then and wonder why I turned into such an anti-argie...sorry guys, ya'll were here then and so you know I was one of the biggest Argie supporters on the forum...but that was then and this is now, and sadly elnono owned me... and I want to see some of the dickhead Argies get owned like the basketball novices they are for the weak and uninsightful takes they have dumped on this forum, both concerning basketball in general and their own team...It's for their own good and they will be more knolwledgable fans after this is over.

Fixed.

:smokin

urunobili
08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FCMwSaYG4pw/RbJEDk2G_GI/AAAAAAAAAHk/jDSHWjwTFCQ/s1600/Poster%2B-%2BBand%2BWagon,%2BThe_01.jpg
Get off

check my sig :loser

ElNono
08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Fixed.

:smokin

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't see how you two guys can get on others about not rooting for the United States. One of you refuses to shop at quintessential American establishments such as Wal-Mart and the other one buys his carnival rides from Switzerland.

Instead of rooting for Kobe to prove your patriotism, shop at American stores and buy your carnival rides in the good ol' U S of A. Personally, I gladly shop at Wal-Mart and I purchase all of my carnival needs in the United States. In fact, if Wal-Mart ever has roll back pricing on a Tilt-a-Whirl, I'll be the first in line showing what kind of true patriot I am.

OMGLOLWTFROFL!

Dude I've been shopping at Wal-Mart for years. Where the fuck have you been? Maybe if you didn't love Manu so damn much you'd have noticed. Traitor.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-18-2008, 08:39 PM
check my sig :loser

Lol, I don't like Gardel or Mate, and you can keep murga and candombe to yourselves :lol

Now this is something actually worth stealing from you lot:

http://www.down.co.il/DB/MUSIC/Latino/Natalia_Oreiro/Z_Natalia_Oreiro3755299104.jpg

http://www.todocharrua.com/103.jpg

http://images.google.com.ar/url?q=http://www.natalia-oreiro-gallery.ic.cz/albums/userpics/normal_oreiro5_1280.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHl9otqtNekAawi0JEIxKYLi4XhIA

http://especiales.tvn.cl/archivos/especiales/bellasmodelos/galeria12/1.jpg

urunobili
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Lol, I don't like Gardel or Mate, and you can keep murga and candombe to yourselves :lol
well i've been with them since 2002 and i consider myself part of them... you like it... whatever other argie likes it or not? u feel me homie? :nutkick:

also your whottt like cockiness smells bad... i bet you have never seen them play... lame...

MaNuMaNiAc
:lmao @ whottt thinking any Argie here really gives a shit about his "approval".

Go ahead and turn anti-argie. Its not as if its going to make one bit of difference. You've always acted like an insecure little prick with an ego the size of Texas. Why should things be any different now?

timvp
Dude I've been shopping at Wal-Mart for years. Where the fuck have you been? Maybe if you didn't love Manu so damn much you'd have noticed. Traitor.Dammit, since when did Manny get off his Wal-Mart soapbox? Did they start hiring more minority women or whatever the issue was? Damn, that ruined my post.

T Park, my point to you still stands. Stop buying carnival rides in Switzerland. I'll figure out something else to bust Manny on but you need to stop sending money to Europe.

Thanks.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Now this is something actually worth stealing from you lot:

http://www.down.co.il/DB/MUSIC/Latino/Natalia_Oreiro/Z_Natalia_Oreiro3755299104.jpg

http://www.todocharrua.com/103.jpg

http://images.google.com.ar/url?q=http://www.natalia-oreiro-gallery.ic.cz/albums/userpics/normal_oreiro5_1280.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHl9otqtNekAawi0JEIxKYLi4XhIA

http://especiales.tvn.cl/archivos/especiales/bellasmodelos/galeria12/1.jpg

Here, here! :toast

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I am rooting for Greece in this matchup. For one - I want the US team to play them again. Kick their ass would be far more pleasing again than beating Argentina.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
well i've been with them since 2002 and i consider myself part of them... you like it... whatever other argie likes it or not? u feel me homie? :nutkick:

also your whottt like cockiness smells bad... i bet you have never seen them play... lame...

:rollin

Teh Internets is serious business!

Lol, watch them play? Live? you don't wanna go there...lighten up

Ronaldo McDonald
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Did you check the background of the Argentinean players to make sure none of them have ever beat their wives?

No, the real reason is I like underdogs.

E20
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I am rooting for Greece in this matchup. For one - I want the US team to play them again. Kick their ass would be far more pleasing again than beating Argentina.

LOL, Why?

Argentina robbed US from an Olympic Gold Medal berth, whereas Greece beat them in a lesser worth/known World Championship game. Olympic Gold Medal > World Championship. Plus US has already got its revenge on them.

I'm going for Argentina against Greece, mainly because Manu plays for the Spurs and is badass as well as some other players I like.

milkyway21
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
what a disappointment this thread turned out to be...:cry

I hope some of you realize that WE, from countries not Argentina or U.S.A. are rooting for BOTH of your teams because we believe that U.S. shld be the on top of the basketball because they introduce this sport to us and we believe the best players on this planet came from the NBA,

and we ALSO ROOT for Argentina to give them a scare and contend for the Gold because we love our Spurs & (ex-Spur) players named-Manu, Oberto, & Scola. You just don't know how happy we are everytime Argentina beat a team and make some good plays and the commentator recognizes they come from a championhip team San Antonio Spurs.

Chill!

and may the best team wins :toast

whottt
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
:lmao @ whottt thinking any Argie here really gives a shit about his "approval".

Go ahead and turn anti-argie. Its not as if its going to make one bit of difference. You've always acted like an insecure little prick with an ego the size of Texas. Why should things be any different now?

Exhibit A:

What do you mean turn anti-Argie? Like you were here before I turned.

You weren't here before I was anti-Argie and you know nothing of the debates, stances or attitude I had before I was.

There was this one point...I guess maybe 6 months after the Olympics...

I was in a chat with a group of Argies and I asked them what was the best thing about living in Argentina...

You know what an alarmingly large number of them told me, immediately?

No blacks...

True story.

Since that time I've been particularly pissed off any time I see one of you ignorant fucks talking shit about my country...and since you're one of the main ones that does it, and you also whine the loudest against any and all imagined slights against your country...let's just say that I don't any sleep what you think about me either...I really and truly don't.

And I want to see TEAM USA kick the fucking shit out of your team.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Hmm - perhaps it would be better if the USA beat Argentina.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I have changed my mind. In the interest of seeing Whottt in action against the ST Argentine contingent I will root for Argentina to upset the Greek Kill Bills.

Spurtacus
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Ginobili will beat Greece.

Whisky Dog
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
This thing is shaping up just the way I hoped it would:

1) The USA, my country, kicking everyone's ass for a gold medal.
2) Spain, my heritage and grandparent's country, getting the silver.
3) Argentina, solely for Manu and Oberto, getting Bronze.

Nice.

milkyway21
08-18-2008, 10:04 PM
no disrespect to the Gold Medalist Argentina team but I really think Lithuania will be the most dangerous opponent of the U.S. team for gold this time with the U.S. winning but not in a blow-out where Kobe and Anthony will even have enough time to show off their now grinning, Phil Jax-like smirking arrogant faces during the game :lol

but I could be 100% wrong...

smeagol
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
....to smeagol, athenea, danyel and Fizzzar and all those that were here before then and wonder why I turned into such an anti-argie...sorry guys, ya'll were here then and so you know I was one of the biggest Argie supporters on the forum...but that was then and this is now, and sadly the knowledgable true Argie hoop fans like yourselves are few and far between...

Thanks.

But I'm not a knowledgable hoop fan.

MMLH knows about b-ball way more than what I know.

You used to be my favorite poster in the Spurs forum (and most hated poster in the political forum). Now you are still up there (top 5), but it is true you have become anti-Argie. :nope

I think this has something to do with becoming frineds with the mookie crowd, who are also anti-Argie.

You should mend your ways and repent . . .

milkyway21
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Whott is I think not anti-Argi only patriotic. :D

whottt
08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks.

False...you're open minded. Other than your Scola stance I generally respect your takes.

MMLH knows about b-ball way more than what I know.

You used to be my favorite poster in the Spurs forum (and most hated poster in the political forum). Now you are still up there (top 5), but it is true you have become anti-Argie. :nope

I think this has something to do with becoming frineds with the mookie crowd, who are also anti-Argie.

Nope...my anti-argie stance predated the mookie crew...and it legit started to change when I said it did...right around the time aholes like manumaniac started showing up.

Deimosfobos
08-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Argentina, even tho is not as good as in Athens, should beat Greece unless they have a terrible game.

In semis tho, Argentina sadly doesn't have a chance in hell agaist this USA team. Our bench is terrible and Prigioni will choke badly.... Manu-Scola-Nocioni and maybe Oberto are not enough, you need a strong bench to keep a high intencity. Team usa can play 40 high intencity minutes because they have 12 amazing players, argentina just can't.

Team USA should destroy Argentina unless Manu has a Jordanesque game, in wich case it will get closer, but still a win for Team USA... I really hope is the second, Manu & cia deserves better, they are a great group of players.

ducks
08-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks.

[/B]knows about b-ball way more than what I know.

no shit

whottt
08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Argentina, even tho is not as good as in Athens, should beat Greece unless they have a terrible game.

In semis tho, Argentina sadly doesn't have a chance in hell agaist this USA team. Our bench is terrible and Prigioni will choke badly.... Manu-Scola-Nocioni and maybe Oberto are not enough, you need a strong bench to keep a high intencity. Team usa can play 40 high intencity minutes because they have 12 amazing players, argentina just can't.

Team USA should destroy Argentina unless Manu has a Jordanesque game, in wich case it will get closer, but still a win for Team USA... I really hope is the second, Manu & cia deserves better, they are a great group of players.

Manu is capable of beating any team by himself in a single game elimination...but he's the only guy on Team Argentina capable of doing that, and there are about 4 or 5 guys on Team USA capable of that as well....and they will be motivated.

Plus, TA hasn't isn't as used to playing with each other as they were in 04....they'd played together often at that point, but they don't have all the same players now, and that was the last time they really played together.

They are almost in the same situation Team USA was in 04 of not much practice time together....although not quite as bad.

smeagol
08-18-2008, 10:40 PM
no shit

That doesn't mean you got any more intelligent than what you were an hour ago.

And when it comes to b-ball, you are as dumb as me.

ElNono
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Argentina has no bench, no coach, and a very suspect PG. We noted this a while ago.

It's really unfortunate, because I really think it's the last Olympic games this core of Argie players are going to be competing in.

That said, they're all elimination games from here on out. A bad shooting night, compounded by some bad refereeing can leave you out.

Deimosfobos
08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Manu is capable of beating any team by himself in a single game elimination...but he's the only guy on Team Argentina capable of doing that, and there are about 4 or 5 guys on Team USA capable of that as well....and they will be motivated.

Plus, TA hasn't isn't as used to playing with each other as they were in 04....they'd played together often at that point, but they don't have all the same players now, and that was the last time they really played together.

They are almost in the same situation Team USA was in 04 of not much practice time together....although not quite as bad.

Well, I agree with you mostly, but even tho I love Manu and he has proven me before he can do almost anything... I really dout he can beat this team USA by himslef, mainly because he has very litle help this year (our bench is a complete joke).

Sure, Manu is the kind of player that can win a game by himself, but as you said, Team usa has many of those, and the rest of their players are amazing players in their own right, who are eager to put USA where it should be, on top of the rest.

My head says USA by 30, my heart says USA by 10-15, my imagination says Argentina by 1, with a game winner from Manu at the buzzer.
No matter the final score, I'm proud of my team, they made Argentina one of the top 4 teams in the world for the past 6 years, including a gold medal, thats more that I would ever dream from a country were BBall is a "minor" sport. :toast

Argentina has no bench, no coach, and a very suspect PG. We noted this a while ago.

It's really unfortunate, because I really think it's the last Olympic games this core of Argie players are going to be competing in.

That said, they're all elimination games from here on out. A bad shooting night, compounded by some bad refereeing can leave you out.

/Agreed

roycrikside
08-19-2008, 02:44 AM

I don't think this is accurate. Lithuania lost to USA by two points in the semis like four years before Argentina beat them.

whottt
08-19-2008, 03:08 AM
I don't think this is accurate. Lithuania lost to USA by two points in the semis like four years before Argentina beat them.
Fair enough...ok so no European Team besides Lithuania in 2000 came close. :tu

wisnub
08-19-2008, 03:32 AM
if Argentina combine forces with Spain with addition of Yao...USA will falll hehehe....just kidding. I want Argentina to win, but if you look at USA roster...they put first team on the bench (Wade,Bosh, Redd, Deron,Boozer,Prince) what kind of bench is that?? besides, this time they already played lots of games together (combined with prev FIBA bronze shit)

mrspurs
08-19-2008, 07:55 AM

you just had to remind me :lol

hater
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Argentina is playing pretty good despite having no bench and crappy PG. They have 2nd best defense behind USA.

they will be fine. They will meet USA and lose unless Scola, Manu, Nocioni, Delfino, all have the games of their lives.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Argentina is playing pretty good despite having no bench and crappy PG. They have 2nd best defense behind USA.

they will be fine. They will meet USA and lose unless Scola, Manu, Nocioni, Delfino, all have the games of their lives.

so what about a bad game from their end and a jordanesque Manu a rodmanesque Nocioni and a Hakeemesque Scola?

would that be enough?

hater
08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
so what about a bad game from their end and a jordanesque Manu a rodmanesque Nocioni and a Hakeemesque Scola?

would that be enough?

a bad shooting night for USA and 20+ pts for all Argentina big 4 would make a competitive game.

of course 20-1 chance of that happening

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM

What? Serbia and Spain beat US in 2002. Italy and Lithuania beat them in 2004. Greece beat them in 2006. What do you mean no European ever beat US?

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM

as usual,you know shit about what happens down the south,north east or west US borders,don't you?

whottt
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
What? Serbia and Spain beat US in 2002.

Not the Olympics.

Italy and Lithuania beat them in 2004.

Not for a medal.

Greece beat them in 2006.

Not the Olympics.

Were you a basketball fan before 2002? If so you'd know the WC don't mean anything. The US has never given a shit about the WC.

Why don't you go back and look at some of the teams we have sent to play in them.

What do you mean no European ever beat US?

I didn't say that. I said no European team even came close to beating a dream team for a medal...

Since the WC were not truly dream teams, except for maybe one of them...this obviously means the Olympics...

And I'll go ahead and say this as well...technically, that 2000 near loss to Lithuania in the semis wasn't for a medal either.

The US was already guaranteed the chance to play for a medal..and truthfully that wasn't really a Dream Team either.

whottt
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
as usual,you know shit about what happens down the south,north east or west US borders,don't you?

Actually...that game wasn't for a medal, if you want to get technical about it, you racist piece of shit.

See how smart you are?

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
US wins over Spain and Greece so far this time not count then either. "Not for medal".

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Actually...that game wasn't for a medal, if you want to get technical about it, you racist piece of shit.

See how smart you are?

why don't you get technical about scola's game translating to the NBA???you ignorant peace of shit?

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
How was Lithuania game in 2000 "not for medal"? Winner of game gets silver medal.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
How was Lithuania game in 2000 "not for medal"? Winner of game gets silver medal.

Euros were NEVER able to leave an American without a medal in the Olympics since the NBA players have been brought to the program... period

whottt
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM

That's pretty funny...because the US won that game...and they didn't get a Silver Medal.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
See wottt?I know exactly where to hit you.
just one question,and you magically disapear.:lol

whottt
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
why don't you get technical about scola's game translating to the NBA???you ignorant peace of shit?

His game hasn't translated to the NBA...he was an MVP in Europe...he doesn't even get played in the 4th quarters in the NBA. Not as good here as he was in Europe...

Is that technical enough for you?

urunobili
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
His game hasn't translated to the NBA...he was an MVP in Europe...he doesn't even get played in the 4th quarters in the NBA. Not as good here as he was in Europe...
it seems you didn;t see any of the non spurs playoff games... :wakeup

whottt
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
US wins over Spain and Greece so far this time not count then either. "Not for medal".

True...they are meaningless wins.

The point is no European Team has beaten a Dream Team in the Olympics for a medal.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
How does the winner of a game get a silver medal?

Doesn't that go to the loser of the gold medal game?

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
it seems you didn;t see any of the non spurs playoff games... :wakeup

Yeah...they don't give you medals for getting eliminated in the first round either.

And the Rockets proved they could do that without Scola.

If Scola couldn't help the Rockets get out of the first round, how is he going ot help the Spurs win a championship?

And are you saying he's going to win an MVP in the NBA? Like he did in Europe?

urunobili
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
And are you saying he's going to win an MVP in the NBA? Like he did in Europe?

are you having problems trying to read? where did i DARE to suggest such a travesty?

he doesn't have that kind of fodder but just for the sake of complicating you a lil bit.. he may have what it takes to be a FINALS MVP... :stirpot:

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
If Scola couldn't help the Rockets get out of the first round, how is he going ot help the Spurs win a championship?

Very easy,with YAO out,they were lucky to even make it to the playoffs
now,Scola helping TD in the paint could've been the shit,and a very scary Frontcourt.
Lets see: TD on Gasol and Scola on Odom,pretty even mutchups
happy now?

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
TMac without Scola = 6-7 playoffs, 6-7 losses in the first round.

TMac with Scola = 1 playoff, 1 loss in the first round.

Yeah Scola's is a real difference maker...Rockets lose to the Jazz in 7 then added Scola and lost to them in 6 :lmao

I know, I know, I know, if you add LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, and Magic Johnson, to Scola, then Scola would make it out of the first round...because that's the kind of stud that he is...that's the kind of difference, he makes.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Very easy,with YAO out,they were lucky to even make it to the playoffs
now,Scola helping TD in the paint could've been the shit,and a very scary Frontcourt.
Lets see: TD on Gasol and Scola on Odom,pretty even mutchups
happy now?

No they weren't...TMac has made the playoffs tons of times when he was the only star on his team. He didn't need Scola just to make the playoffs.

Scola made no difference...if he's the difference in a championship, he damn sure would have been the difference in a first round series, with or without
Yao Ming.

Scola made no difference...

I mean fuck, if you add Yao Ming and TMac to me, I can make the fucking playoffs...idiot.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
are you having problems trying to read? where did i DARE to suggest such a travesty?

Then his game didn't translate very well to the NBA did it?

Rockets = first round losers without him(many times), first round losers with him.

He doesn't have that kind of fodder but just for the sake of complicating you a lil bit.. he may have what it takes to be a FINALS MVP... :stirpot:

No he doesn't....

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
sorry dude,scola was the diference maker in the last part of the reg season and the winning streak,when He was averaging almost a double/double and Yao was already out and TMac with back problems,and the rockets were able to make it to the playoffs.get yout facts together,you ignorant peace of shit.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
BTW Guys...in hindsight, the Scola trade was a mistake...if I knew Tiago was going to stay with Tau, I wouldn't have been supportive of that trade.

Now all you guys have to do is provide me a link of ya'll saying that Splitter was going to stay with Tau when Scola was traded.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
oh,and BTW,you say the Rockets made it to the playoffs thanks to TMac???
I bet you,any Rocket fan here would tell you that the Rockets played better without TMac tham when He was on the court last season.
you're just full of shit Wottt,so full that you even stink.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Then his game didn't translate very well to the NBA did it?

Rockets = first round losers without him(many times), first round losers with him.

i think it did pretty well for the first year finishing third in ROY voting by specialized media that i damn sure knows more than you about basketball

Luis filled Yao's role so without him Tmac+Yao = 1st Round exit

Scola = Yao so TMac + Scola = 1st Round exit as well... the three of them... it is yet to be seen... After Yao became closer to Luis the chemistry on that team is about to change dramatically

PLUS he was the starter in the second best ever winning streak and that's nothing???

No he doesn't....

with 15 pts and 11 rbs during the series and clutch appearances could be enough...

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Is that technical enough for you?

MVP in Spain, not all Europe.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
How does the winner of a game get a silver medal?

Doesn't that go to the loser of the gold medal game?

If you win semifinal game you have silver medal. If you lose semifinal game you now must win one more game to get bronze medal.

Silver medal is guarantee for semifinal winners.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM

you're wrong,he was named Eurolegue MVP too.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:36 PM
BTW Guys...in hindsight, the Scola trade was a mistake...if I knew Tiago was going to stay with Tau, I wouldn't have been supportive of that trade.

Now all you guys have to do is provide me a link of ya'll saying that Splitter was going to stay with Tau when Scola was traded.

He average 14 point and 9 rebound in playoff. This is good for rookie.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
you're wrong,he was named Eurolegue MVP too.

Never happen. More myths.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:41 PM
sorry dude,scola was the diference maker in the last part of the reg season
Pathetic

and the winning streak,when

Even more pathetic...

So judging by that winning streak, they were better without Yao than they were with him...why then do you bring Yao when you talk about failing to make it out of the first round?

I mean that winning streak proved something right? What did it prove? It proved shit...

They lost to the Jazz with HC in fewer games than they lost to them the year before without it...

He was averaging almost a double/double and Yao was already out and TMac with back problems,and the rockets were able to make it to the playoffs.get yout facts together,you ignorant peace of shit.

What an idiot you are...

It's like me saying this:

Matt Bonner is an incredible player and a difference maker.

Matt Bonner is so great, that if Manu Ginobili had been healthy we'd have beaten the Lakers last season...

This is what you are saying idiot.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Never happen. More myths.

BTW,are you ready for tomorrow game??:toast

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
If you win semifinal game you have silver medal. If you lose semifinal game you now must win one more game to get bronze medal.

Silver medal is guarantee for semifinal winners.But you don't get a medal for that semifinal game.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
It's like me saying this:

Matt Bonner is an incredible player and a difference maker.

Matt Bonner is so great, that if Manu Ginobili had been healthy we'd have beaten the Lakers last season...

This is what you are saying idiot.

well,you actually said that.....
Bonner was better tham Scola
who's pathetic now???

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
He average 14 point and 9 rebound in playoff. This is good for rookie.

So? Shareef Abfur Raheem averaged 21 points and 9 rebounds a game for 8 years...and his teams never made the playoffs a single time.

And Scola's not a rookie...he's 27 or 28 years old...

If he's a rookie, then the Euroleagues are equivalent to college teams.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
So...how'd Tau do without Scola this year?

I know, I know...they'd have won the Euroleague if they had him and Splitter together...

Right idiots?

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Taking your fucking weak pathetic excuses...and stick them up your stupid fucking asses.

You guys don't know shit about basketball, you just know how to make excuses....anyone can make excuses.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah,but spain is part of Europe,unlike England..

don't believe me???ask wottt :lol

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
you're wrong,he was named Eurolegue MVP too.He was Euroleague MVP of the Month for December 2006 and that's it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
But you don't get a medal for that semifinal game.

If you win semifinal game you get silver medal.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
who's pathetic now???

Well you're the one pointing out Scola's greatness by saying if Yao had been healthy they'd have actually won something.

All you're doing is pointing out Yao's importance...not Scola's.

And you're not even doing that well...because you can't prove it...it's just an excuse.

Tau didn't miss him...why do you think he would have been the difference in the NBA playoffs when he wasn't even the difference in the Euro playoffs?

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
If you win semifinal game you get silver medal.

Then why didn't the US get the Silver Medal for winning that game?

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 01:54 PM
So...how'd Tau do without Scola this year?

I know, I know...they'd have won the Euroleague if they had him and Splitter together...

Right idiots?

They win Spanish championship. Just second one for them. But Scola did also win first one for them before. Spanish league is overrate anyway. Just dumb Spanish and Americans think is so great and the Europe fans that is fan boys and not know game.

Win Spanish championship last year is no big deal but was big deal when Scola win it. But Euroleague is much stronger than before even from last year of Scola and TAU do about the same in Euroleague without him.

whottt
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
who's pathetic now???

:lol @ you thinking Scola would have gotten the minutes under Pop that he got under Adelman...

All you're doing is proving you haven't been a Spurfan for very long...

whottt
08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
They win Spanish championship. Just second one for them. But Scola did also win first one for them before. Spanish league is overrate anyway. Just dumb Spanish and Americans think is so great and the Europe fans that is fan boys and not know game.

Win Spanish championship last year is no big deal but was big deal when Scola win it. But Euroleague is much stronger than before even from last year of Scola and TAU do about the same in Euroleague without him.

So did losing Scola hurt Tau? Did they do worse without him?

Yes, or no?

urunobili
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
So did losing Scola hurt Tau? Did they do worse without him?

Yes, or no?

lame.. you turned this into another Scola thread.... keep hating whottt your fat mcDonald's built ass will get owned again :flipoff

whottt
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
i think it did pretty well for the first year finishing third in ROY voting by specialized media that i damn sure knows more than you about basketball

Luis filled Yao's role so without him Tmac+Yao = 1st Round exit

Scola = Yao so TMac + Scola = 1st Round exit as well... the three of them... it is yet to be seen... After Yao became closer to Luis the chemistry on that team is about to change dramatically

PLUS he was the starter in the second best ever winning streak and that's nothing???

with 15 pts and 11 rbs during the series and clutch appearances could be enough...

So by that logic...Tau should have been much worse without him. Were they?

More to the game than just points and rebounds...

And TMac and Yao are great examples of this...

I'm sorry but you can't prove they would have made it out of the first round with Yao healthy.

You cannot prove that, it is just an excuse.

But I can prove Tau lost him, and fared no worse for it.

And the second lognest winning strreak in history is important...as an aswer to a trivia question, and nothing else....especially since they were worse in the playoffs than they had been the year before.

According to that winning streak...they were better without Yao than they were with him...so why bring him up as an excuse then?

You can't have it both ways...Yao's either an excuse or he isn't...not that matters. Scola's not a difference maker.

It's been proven in Tau, it's been proven with the Rockets...therefore the idea that you guys think this dude would have made a difference on the Spurs is laughable...especially since they were the defending champions.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
don't tell me He's a fat ass..................................:lol

MajorMike
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
There is no one in this field that should beat USA; period.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

that's the key word right there.

ducks
08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
the spurs would if they played the nba teams

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:10 PM

as long as the should word is in the sentence and manu is healthy I have faith on my Argie team.Period.-

whottt
08-19-2008, 02:10 PM
lame.. you turned this into another Scola thread.... keep hating whottt your fat mcDonald's built ass will get owned again :flipoff

I didn't turn this into a Scola thread.....why not blame the guy who brought him up, as an excuse?

Oh I get it...thrid world shitholes of a feather stick together...even if it's in being dishonest...

Hmmm...no wonder it's the way it is down there...you guys do it, and then you blame the Americans for it...

It all makes sense now.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't turn this into a Scola thread.....why not blame the guy who brought him up, as an excuse?

Oh I get it...thrid world shitholes of a feather stick together...even if it's in being dishonest...

Hmmm...no wonder it's the way it is down there...you guys do it, and then you blame the Americans for it...

It all makes sense now.

fat ass

whottt
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
don't tell me He's a fat ass..................................:lol

So what if I am fat?

It still doesn't mean you aren't stupid...and I can diet.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
So what if I am fat?

but you won't,fat ass

whottt
08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
But I could...if I wanted to. Whereas you can't change being an idiot.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
So what if I am fat?

:lmao at guessing whottt's physical conditioning :lmao

Hemotivo
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
:wtf

urunobili
08-19-2008, 02:46 PM

It all makes sense now.
You're my favorite poster by far! :toast

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Then why didn't the US get the Silver Medal for winning that game?

Are you really so dumb?

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
But I could...if I wanted to. Whereas you can't change being an idiot.

whatever dude,I'm not gonna waste my time talking BB with a guy who can't elevate himself not even 2 inches off the floor.
Keep talking all you want,at least I know what you're all about now,pure blah blah blah.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
:lol Who is saying whottt is fat?

SpurOutofTownFan
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Fuck you

urunobili
08-19-2008, 03:02 PM
:lol Who is saying whottt is fat?

i gambled with it guessing he was due to the country averages... :lol

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM

come one,I bet you saw him with his shit drunk face on the pic somebody posted a few weeks back.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
come one,I bet you saw him with his shit drunk face on the pic somebody posted a few weeks back.

:ttiwwp:

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't remember him as fat. Not skinny, but having pego around makes every other dude look like John Candy by comparison.

whottt
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
What's funny is ArgSpurFan acting like being slim automatically makes you a better basketball player than being big...

s'not true.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
not really,being big is one thing

being a fat ass is a total diferent thing.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm sure Oliver Miller could kick all of our asses in basketball right now.

whottt
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM

I'm know some fat basketball players that could put your third world ass into the dirt...

urunobili
08-19-2008, 03:35 PM

ok until you prove it i call unproven bullshit form you... i brought this up because he was discriminating me from being from a third world country but i feel u r abusing something that no one have seen yet :nope

MannyIsGod
08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
You see how easy this was? I could make a thread saying that Argentina would lose to a local YMCA team and it would easily turn into a four page thread.

The Argies here are Whotttttttttttttttttttttttttttts favorite toy. I love it.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
ok until you prove it i call unproven bullshit form you... i brought this up because he was discriminating me from being from a third world country but i feel u r abusing something that no one have seen yet :nope

I don't really want to see his fat ass,I just finished lunch,kind of makes me sick.I pass.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:40 PM
You see how easy this was? I could make a thread saying that Argentina would lose to a local YMCA team and it would easily turn into a four page thread.

The Argies here are Whotttttttttttttttttttttttttttts favorite toy. I love it.

so,why didn't you do it back in 2004,after the olympics,you crying bitch??

MannyIsGod
I don't really want to see his fat ass,I just finished lunch,kind of makes me sick.I pass.

Why do you eat so much? Fat fuck.

MannyIsGod
so,why didn't you do it back in 2004,after the olympics,you crying bitch??

Case in point.

How small is your dick?

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm know some fat basketball players that could put your third world ass into the dirt...

my third world ass is even way more good looking tham your chunkie face.
Fat ass.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM

:lmao at Manny owning ArgSpursFuck :owned

ArgSpursFan.

Case in point.

How small is your dick?

not smaller tham yours.

whottt

As you can see in this
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378

thread.

Talking shit about Argentina once upon a time wasn't the favorite pasttime of this forum. in fact those that did it, usually got piled on...I wonder what happened.

Hmmmm...who, I mean what, could have happened?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Fuck you

No no no, fuck you.

ArgSpursFan.
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM

I don't eat much,even if I dont eat at all, fat asses make me sick anyways

MannyIsGod
08-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Man, you're the most insecure, defensive poster I've ever seen around here. Its amazing. Thats like beating a bunch of Kenyans and Ethiopians in a marathon. Props.

urunobili
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM

so you just do twinks? :lol

MannyIsGod
Back to the topic at hand, how many times does Vspan break Manu's ankles?

whottt
Man, you're the most insecure, defensive poster I've ever seen around here. Its amazing. Thats like beating a bunch of Kenyans and Ethiopians in a marathon. Props.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Back to the topic at hand, how many times does Vspan break Manu's ankles?

3-4

milkyway21
08-20-2008, 03:21 AM
nice article...
you pick the winner.

THE BACK AND FORTH :
IS USA BASKETBALL REALLY GOING TO WIN IT ALL?
by Ric Bucher and Chris Broussard

What's going to happen to these men?

This morning, USA Basketball—2-0 with, essentially, two routs—collides with Greece, who many international basketball observers (like Tim Warren of The Washington Post) feel is a legitimate gold medal candidate. China and Angola? The past. The future is tougher. Does the US really have a chance to become 'The Redeem Team?' Two senior NBA writers for ESPN The Magazine, Ric Bucher and Chris Broussard, have differing views. Let 'em hash it out, via The Back and Forth.

[Ed's note: This dialogue, done via e-mail, began the morning after USA defeated China in their first game of these Olympics.]

RIC BUCHER:
This really isn't a fair fight because you were already waffling after Team USA struggled to put away Australia. As good an attitude as this team has and as committed as the players are to re-establishing our supremacy, the same flaws exist—if we can't turn the other team over with our defensive pressure, we don't have enough role players and catch-and-shoot guys to run an effective half-court offense. And before you start—just in case you were thinking of going all jingoistic on me—I'm not hating on our NBA players. This isn't an indictment of their talent or their unselfishness or their game; you just can't take guys who for 80-plus games a year, year after year, are the main cogs in their teams and ask them to be effective complementary players on a world stage in a one-and-done situation.

CHRIS BROUSSARD:
Sure you can, and don't try and soften your stance by saying it isn't an indictment of the NBA players' "talent, unselfishness and game" because that's exactly what it is. I understand you've got to sugarcoat it because you want the guys to talk to you next season, but I'm here to yell loud and clear that if the U.S. doesn't bring back the gold medal it's an indictment of the NBA and its stars: it'd be a chink in the armor of Kobe, LeBron, Dwight, D-Wade and the rest of our stars. Oh, and Coach K as well.

How will Coach K's legacy be affected?

The bottom line is that we have the best players and the most talent by far, so if we don't win there's a) a coaching problem, or b) a teamwork problem. I'm presuming that the '06 debacle against Greece taught K to listen to his NBA assistants, who guard the pick-and-roll every night in the NBA. Word is, he wasn't open to advice back then. I imagine he's changed his policy this time around. You telling me Nate McMillan can't come up with an effective pick-and-roll defense, especially with this type of talent at his disposal?

Second, these guys have shown that they're willing to put aside their egos and be role players. We know Kobe is one of the top two or three scorers alive, yet he has voluntarily taken the role of defensive stopper on this team. LeBron's defense has been terrific, and Deron Williams has willingly given the ball to Chris Paul and played two-guard. Carmelo has decided to focus on rebounding. That's teamwork, which is a part of one's "game," and it will all lead to a gold medal.

If it doesn't then we Americans—coaches and players alike—are not as good as we think we are. Period.

RIC BUCHER:
Let's dial down the American arrogance. How did you manage to type and beat your chest at the same time, my friend?

You sound like a Little League coach: "If you guys don't win, it's because you're not playing hard enough! Or together enough! Now drop and give me 20!"

Wow, Deron is letting CP3 bring the ball up. How gracious. Kobe is defending the ballhandler. Oooh, our D is impregnable now. Melo, playing more PF, finds himself on the boards more. Yeah, that's all playing a role is about.

Actually, you hit on it: there is both a coaching problem and a teamwork problem. Because it's naive or supremely arrogant to expect Coach K to match wits in the international game with guys like Aito Garcia Reneses or Panagiotis Giannakis. (Yeah, I'll wait while you look them up.) Almost as naive or arrogant as thinking our players, just because they want to—or we want them to—can transform who they've been for 98 percent of their careers for a couple of weeks during the summer.

The same is true in reverse—there are great international players who can't cut it in the NBA. Not because they suck, or don't have the desire or their success in Europe is a mirage, but because strategy and technique in the two games is different enough to make a difference at the highest levels. Especially when you're asked to switch from being a core player to a complementary one. I don't care how many summers this group has spent dabbling in the international game, its instincts are honed to play different roles in a different style.

They can adjust all they want, when it comes to crunchtime, instincts take over—and the instinct of more than half of our players is, "I'll take care of this." We've seen how well that works in recent years. (Here's another easy question for you: Who is the playmaker/floor leader on this team? No more than one name allowed, because on championship teams everybody knows who The Man is.) And here's some sugarcoating for you: LeBron's defense has been as mediocre as Kobe's shooting. I knew you'd be blown away by Bron Bron's blocks and steals and fail to recognize that he's playing power forward. For every spectacular block, he's had two plays where he watched a guard waltz in for an uncontested layup. And send me a memo the next time you actually see him box out anybody. Or you happen to say something even remotely critical about anybody.

"How did I get dragged into this?"

Oh, and one last thing—yeah, I'm telling you that Nate McMillan, coachin g a team with Dwight Howard as his center and LeBron and Carmelo as his power forwards, couldn't devise an effective pick-and-roll defense against the world's best international pick-and-roll tandems. Nate, if he were honest, would tell you the same thing.

CHRIS BROUSSARD:
Bravo! Bravo! You went from kissing everyone's backsides to gangsta' slapping them across the dome. With your graduation ring on!

You managed to say one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history is overmatched because of the trapezoid lane (it can't be the true zone defense since, last time I checked, that was allowed in the ACC, or the 3-point line since the trey is also a huge weapon in college hoops. The 40-minute game? Oh, not that one either). You said one of the NBA's top coaches—and an outstanding defensive mind—can't teach coverage of the oldest play in the book (and since when did Dwight Howard become as immobile as Shaq? I didn't know he was playing 40 minutes a game, by the way).

LeBron's defense? I guess he has to catch every layup attempt two-handed off the glass to impress you. And do you think he missed some penetration because he was trying to stay put on the shooters out on the perimeter? Here's a hint: yeah.

Ric, is it not still basketball? I do believe the rules create an advantage for the international teams, but it's still basketball. You speak as if we're asking Dwyane Wade to hit a 94 mph fastball or Kobe to run off tackle. These are intelligent players who've been playing this game all their lives. I think they can override their "instincts" and pass the ball more, set picks and cut without the rock.

Your logic is the same one used by those who said Boston couldn't win a ring because KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were all used to being The Man—Pierce has to get his shots. Ray and Pierce will fight over the ball. Who'll get the rock down the stretch? They won't play defense." Bottom line, Ric, the Celtics had the best players—versatile ones who could adjust—so they won. They put their egos aside because a ring meant that much. The gold medal has never meant enough—at least not since we stopped pounding teams by 30 plus—for our NBA stars to sacrifice on a major and consistent level. Now it does.

Of course, anything can happen in a one-and-done situation, but these guys have made the mental adjustment from a seven-game series to all-or-nothing.

With the three best perimeter players on earth, arguably the top two point guards alive, and one of the game's best big men, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

RIC BUCHER:
Saying our players shouldn't be crucified if, despite all their sacrifices and attempts to subvert their personal games, they don't win gold is kissing their backsides? Pointing out that their 30-point win over China wasn't as well played as the score might indicate is gangsta' slapping their melons? Okeydoke, Christopher A.

Is there something to learn from the Big Three in terms of USA's international success?

Why is it that LeBron can't be lauded for his other-worldly plays AND called out for lousy help D? One highlight play gets you a pass for the next three lackluster ones? If that was how your college coach ran the show, it explains a lot. What's wrong with honestly assessing a team or a player, rather than having to choose between pompons or throwing daggers? Why is it wrong to suggest Coach K, a great COLLEGE coach, might not be great at coaching pros in international competition? (By the way, Nate McMillan just called and said, if you really think the trapezoid-shaped lane is the only difference in the two games, he'd rather you not do any promotional work for him.)

But this is the line that is the true head-scratcher: "Of course, anything can happen in a one-and-done situation, but these guys have made the mental adjustment from a seven-game series to all-or-nothing." First off, nice waffle. Again.

Secondly, what's the mentality of a seven-game series vs. all-or-nothing? And how does that apply to an international tournament? And how do you know they've made that switch? But let's say I give that to you, that they've made the mental switch. That is the hole in your argument: you can't be a kiss-ass (that weak "backside" patter doesn't fly over here) and claim the US will win because it has the most talented players who are doing everything in their power to win this time around b-b-b-b-utt if they SHOULD lose, then they're obviously not the most talented players in the world and they didn't do everything in their power to win.

Get down off the barn, weathervane.

P.S. No one questioned if KG, Ray and Paul could share the ball. The question was, could any one of them be The Man when it mattered most? It was a reasonable question, considering their history. Paul proved that he could. And, excuse me, but the guys who had to adjust the most—Ray and Sam—stunk when it mattered the most. Posey, Perk, Rondo, Eddie House—they didn't have to adjust at all. They were, to quote Denny Green, who we thought they were.

P.P.S. The gold has never, ever meant as much as an NBA title. It doesn't even mean as much as being an NBA star. If it did, the Greek team, not Team USA, would've been mobbed by the other athletes in the village. But then I suppose all those world-class athletes recognizing greatness were just kissing backsides so Kobe and Co. would still talk to them, too.:lol

P.P.P.S. In case you didn't have enough to chew on—the original Dream Team wouldn't be a lock for gold in this day and age, either.

CHRIS BROUSSARD:

First, I never said the only difference between the international game and the NBA is the trapezoid lane. I said that's the one major difference between the international game and the "college" game that K coaches.

Back to the matter at hand, what's the difference between a player's mentality in a seven-game series vs. one-and-done, you ask? Simple—room for error. In a series, you have it, knowing that if you lose, it's not over. In one-and-done, there is no room for error. That's a huge difference mentally, and really, it's human nature to give more than you thought possible when it's all-or-nothing.

Also, who said the gold means as much as an NBA title? I said it means much more than it used to to our pros, enough to lead them to make the necessary sacrifices they didn't make in the past. I've talked to the players (as I'm sure you have) and to a man, they said winning these Olympics would be huge. Surely you don't deny that.

Finally, it boils down to this: you don't seem to believe we have the best BASKETBALL players on the planet. Of course, you'll deny that, but your the implication of your argument is that Kobe, LeBron, Dwight, and the rest are the best NBA players on the planet, not the best BASKETBALL players period. You may believe they're the best dunkers, leapers, dribblers and one-on-one artists, but basketball is a team sport and if you can't play team ball then you're not a great player. It's as simple as that. Go join the And1 tour if you can't play effectively with four other guys, if you have to always be The Man.

Your problem is you're confusing "a different style" with "a different game." Even with the rules changes, it's still basketball and a competent player can make the adjustment, especially after weeks of practice. Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol and others seem to have no problem bouncing back and forth between the two styles. The USA's problem with the pick-and-roll is not because the international game is different, it's because the international cats can execute and shoot. Golden State and Detroit play completely different styles but they're still playing the same game, and if you're the best in the world you'll adjust to whatever style you have to to win—or you'll impose your will and make the opponent play your style. Winning makes you the best, not hype and flash.

In your world, Ali would still be considered better than Foreman even if Foreman had knocked him silly in Zaire. And Ali would've been better than Frazier even if Smokin' Joe had taken two of their three fights (instead of the other way around). No, Ric, the best wins, and Team USA's the best.

RIC BUCHER:

Why are you trying to tell me what I'm thinking or saying? Or, worse, trying to contend that I'm really saying or thinking something other than what I'm writing? Stick to your case for why this team will prevail when the last few haven't. Here's mine for why it won't: Team USA will once again face teams who will not turn over the ball against our pressure defense, which thereby eliminates the biggest part of Team USA's offense. That will turn the contest into a halfcourt game, where our gambling defense has and will continue to be exposed by teams far more adept at back-cutting, moving without the ball and shooting on the catch than we are. Meanwhile, still having failed to develop an effective zone offense, playing against teams capable of switching from a 3-2 zone to a matchup zone and back again without missing a beat, we will live and die offensively by our ability to make 3s. Throw in the fact that beating the US is the be-all and end-all, still, for every player we face and our talent can't make up for our disadvantages. For Jerry Colangelo's sake, for Coach K's sake, for all the players' sake—heck, for my sake as an American who loves the NBA—I wish it were as simplistic as you make it out to be. The last six years are ample proof that it isn't.

As for that whole rant about seven games vs. all-or-nothing attitude: The Lakers lost the Finals, in part, because they let up in Game 1 when Paul Pierce injured his knee. So suggesting that a team can relax and not pay a price in a seven-game series is a fallacy. Team USA, furthermore, hasn't shown an all-or-nothing attitude yet. It has let up in every game it has played. It hasn't cost them, but to suggest they are going after the gold as if it was an NBA title, well, I haven't seen a single player in red white and blue remind me of anything I saw in June.

This, though, is true: The best team always wins. The best talent, as we've seen time and again in the NBA, doesn't. That's the difference here. I believe we have the best talent. But being the best team takes a little more than just wanting to be.
------------------------------------------------------

vander
08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
or maybe manu gets a "sore ankle" again

called it

:violin