PDA

View Full Version : Whats it gonna take to get driving while talking on the phone illegal?

BacktoBasics
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
You know what gang...I really fucking hate most of you guys out there on the open roads. Why. Can. You. Not. take the time to handle your death mobile with the proper respect it deserves. I realize most of you can't properly wipe your own ass but c'mon pay attention to what you're doing out there...pull the fuck over and take the call.

I'm tired of you guys cutting me off or not seeing me merge legally into your lane because you're too busy running your fat fucking cake hole to your even fatter mom or loser girlfriend. I see it every fucking day some oblivious bitch or dude, yeah I'll say it dudes do it too, on the damn horn blabbing away while hauling ass through a red light. Enough already this shit has got to stop.

I realize that shit in Texas has to be back asswards otherwise it wouldn't be gooo ole Texass but its high time this state comes to terms with the fact that most people don't drive well and it gets even worse when you mix in some Tejano and a portable talking device. Especially the ones that text because we've all seen the annoy important chic eating a McLardass while texting and driving with her massively swollen knees.

I think its a real problem. Its not safe to drive and talk. If you must insist on doing something with your mouth while driving feel free to suck my dick.

JoeChalupa
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I rarely talk on my cell phone but I do use a ear set when I do.

ashbeeigh
08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
:tu

I was driving to work last week in the pouring rain..getting on the 10 and some lady was on her phone making the turn around and almost spun out. Nevermind she almost spun out..she still stayed on the phone. I think I can count on one hand how many times I've talked on my cell phone while driving.

T Park
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
So be like california, and take away more personal rights.

Makes sense.

Jimcs50
08-18-2008, 04:34 PM

It is not the fact that your hands are holding a phone. It is proven that even with hands free devises, the driver is still not paying attention near as he should be when he is in conversation on a phone. I do see a lot of dumbassed driving when people are on the phone. This is why you have to drive defensively.

JoeChalupa
08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
It is not the fact that your hands are holding a phone. It is proven that even with hands free devises, the driver is still not paying attention near as he should be when he is in conversation on a phone. I do see a lot of dumbassed driving when people are on the phone. This is why you have to drive defensively.

True, but so does the radio, smoking and women putting on their make-up while driving which I see every day. Only way to be truly safe is to keep your eyes on the roads.

I. Hustle
08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't talk on the phone or eat. That shit is stupid. I do however read the paper and have sex while driving

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
It will take a pretty white girl with a bright future being run off the road by a minority male on a cell phone (the more illegal the better) and a constitutional amendment finally granting the media the power to enact legislation.

BacktoBasics
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Makes sense.
So its your personal right to be an irresponsible assfuck and kill or hurt someone because you couldn't pull your fat ass over and put the snickers down to take the call

baseline bum
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Makes sense.

It does make sense for California to have made yakking on the cellphone illegal while driving. I'd rather be sharing the road with someone who is borderline DUI over the dumbfuck soccer moms in their SUVs. I almost got hit in the back today by some cunt in her SUV going 65 in a 45 while on her phone when my lane merged.

2Blonde
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't talk on my phone while driving. I just IM and surf the internet!! :lol:toast

sa_butta
08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Yep, the only time I really use my bluetooth is when I am in the car. And now they are pretty cheap to get.

ashbeeigh
08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
so B2B, what do you think of this proposed no cell phones in school zones thing the City Council wants to enact?

Jimcs50
It will take a pretty white girl with a bright future being run off the road by a minority male on a cell phone (the more illegal the better) and a constitutional amendment finally granting the media the power to enact legislation.

They do not do enough to drunk drivers which is 100X worse, so they are not going to do anything to stop phone talkers.

I think drunk drivers should go to prison for at least one year, first offense and 10 yrs 2nd offense, no exceptions....that will stop it, or at least slow it down.

Anti.Hero
I thought Cali was leading the way in promoting back asswardness to the forefront.

Most people just suck at driving and should not be allowed on the roads period. I should be able to scan peoples' license plates with my headlights and banish them from the roads.

sa_butta
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't talk on my phone while driving. I just IM and surf the internet!! :lol:toast
while putting your make-up on??:lmao

thispego
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Q: Whats it gonna take to get driving while talking on the phone illegal?

A: A family member/friend of the person/people who make those laws to be killed by a cell phoning driver.

2Blonde
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM

while putting your make-up on??:lmao
Of course... I couldn't go out in public without makeup !:wow

sa_butta
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
If I could just get an electric shaver I would probably use it on my way to work. I hate shaving.

JoeChalupa
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
If I could just get an electric shaver I would probably use it on my way to work. I hate shaving.

I admit I am guilty of that. My face not my legs.

sa_butta
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I admit I am guilty of that. My face not my legs.
I couldnt imagine trying to shave your legs while driving. But yeah for my face.

Jimcs50
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
while putting your make-up on??

True story:

One of my assistants came to work and told me that she was at the light waiting to turn left over the overpass, when she noticed the girl in front of her was looking in mirror putting on lipstick. The light turned green, and 5 seconds later, she and the guy in front of her had not started going yet, obviously not paying attention. Well, she gave a little honk to get them to get going and the girl in front of her just gunned it and rear ended the guy in front of her. My assistant, feeling guilty, then drove around them, and looked at the girl and she said that the girl had lipstick smeared all over her face. I can just imagine this scene.

:lol

Brutalis
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
It is illegal

... in California.

Brutalis
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Why not?

BacktoBasics
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
so B2B, what do you think of this proposed no cell phones in school zones thing the City Council wants to enact?I know nothing of it.

I agree with the penalty suggested for drunk driving above. I liken the laws to basically allowing someone to walk around a mall blindly stabbing at people but not actually do anything about it until the blade cuts 4 or 5 different people within a specific period of time.

BacktoBasics
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
True story:

One of my assistants came to work and told me that she was at the light waiting to turn left over the overpass, when she noticed the girl in front of her was looking in mirror putting on lipstick. The light turned green, and 5 seconds later, she and the guy in front of her had not started going yet, obviously not paying attention. Well, she gave a little honk to get them to get going and the girl in front of her just gunned it and rear ended the guy in front of her. My assistant, feeling guilty, then drove around them, and looked at the girl and she said that the girl had lipstick smeared all over her face. I can just imagine this scene.

:lolAt that point I would have asked to borrow her cellphone camera to snap a shot.

Spurminator
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I do think talking on the phone while driving impairs concentration and reaction time but let's not forget that a lot of people are just really bad drivers. Phones don't make good drivers bad. They just make bad drivers worse.

ashbeeigh
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I know nothing of it.

Possible Cell Phone Ban In S.A.

2/2/08

When you drive through a school zone, you may soon have to turn off your cell phone.

A proposed cell phone ban goes before San Antonio's City Council Wednesday. Council Member Justin Rodriguez proposed the ban, which would require drivers to hang up their phones when they see a school zone sign.

The goal is to prevent accidents and make the roads safer before and after school.

Rodriguez says the ban is necessary for the safety of children.

"As other communities are starting to do this, I think it makes a lot of sense to go forward," says Rodriguez.

A local crossing guard agrees.

"Sometimes they come a little too fast because they're on their cell phones," says crossing guard Frank DeLeon. "I holler at them that we're in a school zone."

Dallas County is one of the most recent communities to approve a similar cell phone ban. It is expected to go before City Council before the end of the month.

City Could Ban Cell Phones in School Districts

Last Update: 8/08 3:21 pm

A proposal to ban talking on your cell phone while driving through school zones is one step closer to becoming a reality in the San Antonio area.

Councilman Justin Rodriguez originally wanted the ban to cover all school zones in San Antonio. But now he's developed a pilot program for the school zones with the highest number of incidents.

Just last week the town of West University Place, near Houston, became the latest to pass a ban like this.

San Antonio City Council is expected to talk about the plan on August 21st.

That's how it's supposed to work. talk all you want while you're not in the school zone and put the phone down while you're there. "Hang on, I'll call you back in 10 seconds wile I drive through the school zone....okay...I'm back...." I'm not against it, in the least, but I see more dangerous cell phone drivers driving on the highway then I do residentially, imho.

leemajors
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

beard up.

SpursWoman
08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Makes sense.

Yeah ... just like they took away everyone's right to drive drunk. WTF?

I fucking hate it and it drives me insane. I really wish they'd outlaw it, too. Nobody is that important.

T Park
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM
So its your personal right to be an irresponsible assfuck and kill or hurt someone because you couldn't pull your fat ass over and put the snickers down to take the call

?

Are we talking about eating, or talking on the phone, make up your mind attention whore.

T Park
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah ... just like they took away everyone's right to drive drunk. WTF?

I fucking hate it and it drives me insane. I really wish they'd outlaw it, too. Nobody is that important.

Big difference.....

T Park
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
I do think talking on the phone while driving impairs concentration and reaction time but let's not forget that a lot of people are just really bad drivers. Phones don't make good drivers bad. They just make bad drivers worse.

Exactly.

Richard Cranium
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
?

Are we talking about eating, or talking on the phone, make up your mind attention whore.

Your calling someone else an attention whore is hillarious. :lol

J.T.
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
As a card carrying member of the Driving While Smoking Association, the National Scarfing Down McDonalds Whilst Behind the Wheel League, and the She Was a Daaaaaaaaaaay Tripper, Sunday Driver Yeah! Brigade, I am most displeased with your hate crime of singling out the cell phone motorists.

Our great American forefathers decreed that all citizens be equal. Expect a copy of the class action lawsuit in your mailbox sometime this week.

monosylab1k
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
It is not the fact that your hands are holding a phone. It is proven that even with hands free devises, the driver is still not paying attention near as he should be when he is in conversation on a phone.

I've seen those studies too, and I call bullshit. There's no possible way that there's no difference between having a conversation with both hands free and on the wheel, and having a conversation with only one free hand. Especially if you're driving a stick.

If the problem is simply not paying attention cuz you're talking, then we might as well outlaw carpooling while we're at it. If the reasoning behind outlawing cell phones is simply because they'll be safer drivers with both hands free, then I'm all for banning cell phones while driving.

Ronaldo McDonald
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
It's wierd...I don't think handling the phone per se is the problem, but more being engaged in conversation. If that's the problem then conversations with people in the car with you while you're driving would also cause accidents. So if we're asking for a ban phone-conversations than you gotta also ask for a ban on all conversations taking place in the car.

Which means your wife is going to be doing jumping jacks if that actually happens.

Jimcs50
08-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I've seen those studies too, and I call bullshit. There's no possible way that there's no difference between having a conversation with both hands free and on the wheel, and having a conversation with only one free hand. Especially if you're driving a stick.

If the problem is simply not paying attention cuz you're talking, then we might as well outlaw carpooling while we're at it. If the reasoning behind outlawing cell phones is simply because they'll be safer drivers with both hands free, then I'm all for banning cell phones while driving.

they said that if you are talking to someone in the car with you, you have 2 people paying attention, so it is safer to talk with someone in the front seat, than when on the phone.

The accidents that I see or near accidents are not from them only having one hand on the wheel, it is because they are not paying attention.....get it?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-18-2008, 11:24 PM

Makes sense.

You can be such an ass.

Driving while talking on the phone has been widely proven to generate an accident rate equivalent to mid-range (BAC 0.08-0.12) drink-driving... so, your right to talk on the phone while driving outweighs the right of other drivers not to be smashed into due to your negligence? I bet if you had been in a smash with a driver who was talking on their phone your view would be different. Your ultra-libertarian "my rights! my rights!" shtick gets very tired. :rolleyes

Driving whilst using a phone has been illegal here for years, as it should be.

debo
08-19-2008, 12:09 AM

Makes sense.

those poor deprived Californians :rolleyes

id prefer the driver not have any unnecessary/extra distractions while driving, but i dislike people who text and drive more than people who talk and drive

PM5K
08-19-2008, 01:35 AM
People here are shitty enough drivers without phones....

sabar
08-19-2008, 03:11 AM

Makes sense.

Screw personal rights when it puts other people at risk. With that logic I should be able to make smallpox in my house and shoot a gun into the air on my property.

Yeah, there is indeed a reason why driving drunk isn't allowed. Would you let your kids on a school bus with a driver that is allowed to talk on a cell phone?

On a related note

My Mom got so close to having her car totaled because some idiot on a phone wasn't paying attention. How the hell does any sane person make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic? They weren't paying attention and didn't even look for oncoming cars, they just yapped away and made the suicide turn. If the speed limit on that road was higher we would of all been dead.

Ban them and make the idiots that get in crashes with them pay hard. I'm glad that dumbass's brand-new SUV got messed up. Thank goodness there was no one on the sidewalk or they would of been ran down by a T-boned SUV.

DannyT
08-19-2008, 03:53 AM
True, but so does the radio, smoking and women putting on their make-up while driving which I see every day. Only way to be truly safe is to keep your eyes on the roads.

you always have a good way with words Joe....

Insomniac
08-19-2008, 04:07 AM
There were already plenty of distractions that cause traffic accidents and phones are just another. Now we got cars that come Ipod ready which is just another distraction.

SpursWoman
08-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Big difference.....

They both can severely impair your ability to drive and be cognizant of what's going on around you. There's really not a question about that.

And I almost got ran off the road by some fucker who ran a yield sign what jacking is jaw on the phone about an hour before I posted that. I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone's right to be completely oblivious to those around them when they are cruising around in a 3,000lb bullet. Especially when I've got my kids in the car. Sorry.

SpursWoman
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
And I save my makeup-putting-on and flossing for red lights, thankyouverymuch. :spin

I see waaaaaaaaay more people talking on the phone while driving than I ever see putting on make up or eating. I was stopped at a left turn light on my way to work the other day and while the other cars were going their turn, 12 out 14 cars had drivers on the phone. Crazy.

BacktoBasics
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
We have everything to gain by demanding that people put the phone down while being in the car and nothing to lose. You guys can survive without yapping your way home just like we all survived it 20 years ago when this luxury didn't exist. If is so fucking important pull the fuck over. No one said to stop talking in public like a rude selfish asshole we're just asking for you to kindly keep yourself from being distracted while you speed around with your death mobile. Its not too much to ask.

T Park is just butt hurt because they took his trans fat away.

JoeChalupa
08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Those bluetooth sets are crazy, IMO. I hate it when I say "excuse me?" to someone and then they point to their ear as an explanation that they weren't talking to me. I feel like an ass...but they look like an ass talking to themselves.

johnsmith
08-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Makes sense.

Until just right now I was unaware of the direct relationship with weight and intelligence. I had no idea that the more you weighed, the dumber you are.

This isn't a political argument, it's a "I'd like to get to work safely without some dipshit talking on the phone and T-Boning my vehicle" issue.

(probably shouldn't have used the phrase T-bone with you though as it's going to take your attention away from the actual subject).

JoeChalupa
08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
There are plenty of other distractions that I need to work on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/Salma_Hayek_Desperado0001.gif

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
You have to be using a hands-free device here in NM. But I agree that using the phone at all can be distracting at times.

I, however, do converse with clients a lot while I'm driving so cutting that out would affect my billable time. I need to be generating all the revenue possible if I'm going to run for president of Club Richer.

DarkReign
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
They do not do enough to drunk drivers which is 100X worse, so they are not going to do anything to stop phone talkers.

I think drunk drivers should go to prison for at least one year, first offense and 10 yrs 2nd offense, no exceptions....that will stop it, or at least slow it down.

Fucking dumb.

j-6
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
:lol
I'm glad I'm not the only person who counts how many people are yakking on cell phones while I'm stopped at an intersection...

I'm guilty of this. I especially like to see the ones gunning through the light as it goes red, and how many of them are on the phone. Check it out - it almost always is the case where I live.

What I don't get is when people call just to talk - y'know, shoot the shit - while they're driving. I guess I understand it when it's a business call or something along those lines, but because you're bored and need company for fifteen minutes? But I'm more of a caveman when it comes to cell phones - I miss the days when if you're weren't at home or at work, nobody could contact you.

Anti.Hero
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Seriously, most people suck at driving.

Driving is not hard in the first place, talking and driving is not that much harder. Use this as an excuse to revoke licenses though. :toast

Wild Cobra
08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Such a law is rather stupid in my opinion. Some people can talk on a phone just fine when driving, some cannot. I don't like any law that punishes all for the problems that a few other cause. There are already laws on the books about maintaining control, reckless driving, signaling, etc.

If the police would first enforce these laws, people would be more mindful of their driving habits. As it stands, what will another traffic law do that the police don't enforce?

baseline bum
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Such a law is rather stupid in my opinion. Some people can talk on a phone just fine when driving, some cannot. I don't like any law that punishes all for the problems that a few other cause. There are already laws on the books about maintaining control, reckless driving, signaling, etc.

If the police would first enforce these laws, people would be more mindful of their driving habits. As it stands, what will another traffic law do that the police don't enforce?

So its ok for a good driver to drive drunk then too? Almost all drunk drivers make it home ok.

T Park
08-19-2008, 06:23 PM
We have everything to gain by demanding that people put the phone down while being in the car and nothing to lose. You guys can survive without yapping your way home just like we all survived it 20 years ago when this luxury didn't exist. If is so fucking important pull the fuck over. No one said to stop talking in public like a rude selfish asshole we're just asking for you to kindly keep yourself from being distracted while you speed around with your death mobile. Its not too much to ask.

T Park is just butt hurt because they took his trans fat away.

Your just butt hurt cause your boss took a day away kiddo.

JoeChalupa
08-19-2008, 08:10 PM
So its ok for a good driver to drive drunk then too? Almost all drunk drivers make it home ok.

:tu Why punish all drunk drivers when only a small percentage ever get caught? Why make pot illegal when the majority are casual smokers?