PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Spurs Giveaways!

ceperez
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
#1. Luis Scola - European and World Championship MVP traded with Butler for a no show European player.
#2. Stephen Jackson - Team Captain of Warriors, signed with the Hawks for 2.1 million per season.
#3. Hedo Turkoglu - Most Improved Player 2008, given away by not matching a $5m salary.
#4. Brent Barry - 43% 3 point shooting average, given away for failing to match a paltry $1.92m salary.
#5. Leandro Barbosa - 6th Man of the Year 2007. Traded draft rights for future pick that was later traded away to the Knicks.
#6 Beno Udrih - Traded for a restricted 2nd round pick only to be picked up the Kings and put up career numbers. Signed with the Kings for $5m/year
#7 Donte Greene - Passed in the draft only to be traded by the Rockets for Ron Artest.
#8 Goran Dragic - Backup point guard for the Suns. Traded draft rights for Malik Hairston a player unlikely to make the Spurs lineup.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
#2. Steven Jackson - Team Captain of Warriors, given away by not matching salary.

His name is Stephen and this isn't close to true. The Spurs made him a contract offer - his agent/he balked at it, and then ended up signing in Atlanta for much less.

#5. Leandro Barbosa - Traded for future pick that was traded away to the Knicks.

Not quite accurate. The Spurs picked him FOR Phoenix. So he was never San Antonio's to giveaway really.

#6 Beno Udrih - Waived later to be signed by the Kings for $5m/year

Thank goodness.

Brutalis
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
And I'll add..

Hedo sucked for us, and choked on top of that. Nobody wanted him here after that, and neither did the Spurs FO.

Barry is passed prime, and has nothing to offer us nor would he be getting more than a handful of minutes a game anyhow.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
The Scola deal ranks up there with the Grizzlies dealing Pau Gasol for an STD but other than him, I wouldn't want anyone on that list; maybe Greene and Dragic but it's way too early to tell.

exstatic
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Leandro Barbosa and Paino both suck ass in the playoffs, and it was good riddance on both parts.

ceperez
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
His name is Stephen and this isn't close to true. The Spurs made him a contract offer - his agent/he balked at it, and then ended up signing in Atlanta for much less.

Yeah, you're right, he was dumb enough not to take the Spurs offer. We probably would have 1 more championship if he had signed.

Spurtacus
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
This would make more sense as two lists....one of players who actually played for the Sprus and two would be a list of players we lost because of the draft.

meestahmeestah
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
#5. Leandro Barbosa - 6th Man of the Year 2007. Traded draft rights for future pick that was later traded away to the Knicks.

You know that one, I'm OK with. If it takes us trading our 1st rounder every year to pick up another one of these :lobt: I can live with that.

If you want to talk about bad Spurs FO decisions over time, I'm sure Alfredrick Hughes, Dwayne Schintzius, Lloyd Daniels, Tyus Edney and a bunch of other dudes that aren't right off the top of my head would all love to sit down with you and chat about it. ;)

DROB4EVER
08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
The only ones I regret are Hedo and Jax. Hedo wasnt worth the money he got when he signed with orlando so I can see why we didnt offer him 5.5 pr yr.

Jax I would have liked to see him signed but again, not worth the deal he was given by Indy. He has admitted in the past he regrets not resigning with the spurs but we all know the spurs are very careful with the cap.

LakerHater
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
What about the George Gervin trade?

Texas_Ranger
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
We also let go K-Will, when he was in top form. :madrun

TDMVPDPOY
08-19-2008, 12:27 AM
scola is not important as stephen jackson mistake...

if we had steph...we would had a repeat or 3peat already

but no we had to sign turgo who dissappeared

TMTTRIO
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Hedo sucked for us, and choked on top of that. Nobody wanted him here after that, and neither did the Spurs FO.

I think the Spurs FO did want Hedo back but the problem was that Manu and Hedo were both free agents that summer so it came down to one or the other and of course they needed to get Manu secured.

your_pimp
08-19-2008, 04:33 AM
scola is not important as stephen jackson mistake...

if we had steph...we would had a repeat or 3peat already

but no we had to sign turgo who dissappeared

No repeats for fluke teams....

anakha
08-19-2008, 04:41 AM
No repeats for fluke teams....

So you're saying the Spurs fluked their way to the title four separate times?

That's reaching, even for you, Louis. :lol

ShoogarBear
08-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Alfredrick Hughes over Joe Dumars?

mrspurs
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, you're right, he was dumb enough not to take the Spurs offer. We probably would have 1 more championship if he had signed.

bingo maybe even 2 more :lol the spurs are still looking for a player to match what jax brought to the court

mrspurs
08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
let me think last season we went in with beno as a 2nd or 3rd backup to tony.(as in the previous championship wins and runs). then the spurs decided we can do without this party animal. wow mighty mouse sure did help us out with his superior play(not). i think the spurs FO could have waited till the end of the season b4 kicking beno off the team. after all we needed scoring, parker got hurt, and all we had was jacque and mighty mouse, (or should i say jacque and manu). that put alot of minutes on manu who had nothing left in the tank in the PO's because of this great move (hahaha). it doesnt take brains to see how the FO screwed the team over by the timing in which they let go of beno. imo that one move during the season killed our chances of HCA, something that was very important with such a smoking west conference......id take beno over mighty mouse as a back anyday, anynight. only the spurs FO couldnt wait to dismantle a defending championship team until the season was over. i guess it was easier todo it during the season. the spurs FO is slowly becoming the FO that red and bass used to run. thou they still have time to make up because the trade dead line isnt over. we best not be finished signing or trading players. as for hedo imo he is still overrated. brent couldnt stay healthy enough to make a complete season(imo why fins is still here instead). and the rest of the players never were in spurs uniforms so imo, they dont count....

Taco
08-19-2008, 07:37 AM
What about the George Gervin trade?

BACK THEN GERVIN HAD SOME LEGAL ISSUE'S :hat, WHEN THAT TRADE WENT DOWN

ambchang
08-19-2008, 08:28 AM
let me think last season we went in with beno as a 2nd or 3rd backup to tony.(as in the previous championship wins and runs). then the spurs decided we can do without this party animal. wow mighty mouse sure did help us out with his superior play(not). i think the spurs FO could have waited till the end of the season b4 kicking beno off the team. after all we needed scoring, parker got hurt, and all we had was jacque and mighty mouse, (or should i say jacque and manu). that put alot of minutes on manu who had nothing left in the tank in the PO's because of this great move (hahaha). it doesnt take brains to see how the FO screwed the team over by the timing in which they let go of beno. imo that one move during the season killed our chances of HCA, something that was very important with such a smoking west conference......id take beno over mighty mouse as a back anyday, anynight. only the spurs FO couldnt wait to dismantle a defending championship team until the season was over. i guess it was easier todo it during the season. the spurs FO is slowly becoming the FO that red and bass used to run. thou they still have time to make up because the trade dead line isnt over. we best not be finished signing or trading players. as for hedo imo he is still overrated. brent couldnt stay healthy enough to make a complete season(imo why fins is still here instead). and the rest of the players never were in spurs uniforms so imo, they dont count....

Beno won't play for the Spurs because of his lack of discipline and defense. He plays well only when he is on a team that doesn't require him to execute perfectly.

And if the Spurs kept Beno, they would have been over the luxury cap. Beno, a player who wasn't going to play anyways, is not worth the extra couple of millions.

TDMVPDPOY
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM
i still felt that had fukn pop not sign NVE and MM the following year, and just fukn kept on playin beno/barry at the fukn point, maybe we wouldve won at least 1 more ring, fuck that experiment

I Love Me Some Me
08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
The worst mistake this team has made over the last 5 years, is the complete and utter misuse of Brent Barry.

TDMVPDPOY
08-19-2008, 09:39 AM
The worst mistake this team has made over the last 5 years, is the complete and utter misuse of Brent Barry.

dude brent barry did what he was meant to do...sharing PG duties with parker and ginoboli.....the only downside i had with barry is that he hesitates to shoot the 3 at times....i prefer to have him chuck up 3s instead of someone with low 3pt%....still 2 rings is better than nothin

urunobili
08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
with JAX we would have repeated in 2004

I Love Me Some Me
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
dude brent barry did what he was meant to do...sharing PG duties with parker and ginoboli.....the only downside i had with barry is that he hesitates to shoot the 3 at times....i prefer to have him chuck up 3s instead of someone with low 3pt%....still 2 rings is better than nothin

What I meant was that Bones didn't get enough PT, and was not used effectively when he was on the court. He was the best backup PG the Spurs have had on their roster for the last 5 years, and Pop always gave those minutes to someone else.

He belonged on the floor way more than he was, and certainly way more than Finley. If they used him right, he'd still be a Spur today.

mrspurs
08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Beno won't play for the Spurs because of his lack of discipline and defense. He plays well only when he is on a team that doesn't require him to execute perfectly.

And if the Spurs kept Beno, they would have been over the luxury cap. Beno, a player who wasn't going to play anyways, is not worth the extra couple of millions.

so explain it to me please? if we would have held onto beno till the end of the season then his millions would have counted against us this off-season? if that is true then i can understand why the spurs FO would gamble winning another ring in order to get someone else the following season. that at least makes sense. nah i dont think so. you dont get many chances at rings, anything can happen. so what your saying is if we would have kept beno until the end of the season then we wouldnt have been able to grab roger mason?

ambchang
08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
so explain it to me please? if we would have held onto beno till the end of the season then his millions would have counted against us this off-season? if that is true then i can understand why the spurs FO would gamble winning another ring in order to get someone else the following season. that at least makes sense. nah i dont think so. you dont get many chances at rings, anything can happen. so what your saying is if we would have kept beno until the end of the season then we wouldnt have been able to grab roger mason?

See http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#16 for luxury tax.

And having Beno will not help the Spurs win the championship this season, Beno cannot step in for an injured Manu, even if he was at the top of his game. Parker was fine in the LA series, and Beno subbing him would be a significant downgrade. Beno subbing for Vaughn would be neglibile impact given the amount of minutes played and his shoddy defense.

mrspurs
08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
See http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#16 for luxury tax.

And having Beno will not help the Spurs win the championship this season, Beno cannot step in for an injured Manu, even if he was at the top of his game. Parker was fine in the LA series, and Beno subbing him would be a significant downgrade. Beno subbing for Vaughn would be neglibile impact given the amount of minutes played and his shoddy defense.

my point was beno not helping this season. but beno doing more then mighty mouse did last season. i know beno's play wasnt all that. you still didnt answer my question. if we would have held onto beno till the end of this past season, then got rid of him. would it have meant we wouldnt have been able to grab roger mason? and i aint being childish, if your answer is yes and you are correct, then i will gladly be stood corrected.

The Truth #6
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Brent's 1st regular season was not an overwhelming success. Devin Brown played just as well if not better for good stretches. In the playoffs, at least the very last game, Brent did play well.

However, when Finley arrived Brent more and more became the obvious, better option with his superior shooting and passing. The rest of his game was just as bad as Finley.

Hedo played better than people remember in the regular season. The coaches even said he was the best rebounding SF they had had. Of course, they're still trying to remove his urine stains off the court at the Forum from him pissing in his pants everytime he had an open jumper. The money Orlando payed him after he underwhelmed for us was ridiculous.

SJax wanted more money but when he realized he couldn't get more than what the Spurs offered, he went back to the Spurs to try and take their original offer. The Spurs had their Euro crush going and were set on Hedo. Who knows what agreements had already been made, but Hedo wasn't signed at that point and I think it was dumb for the FO not to take SJax back. It would have been a decision between him or Manu at some point down the road when new contracts came up, and obviously we would have gone with Manu long-term, but we could have at least had SJax for that 3yr $10 mil contract.

At least that's how I remember it.

Mark in Austin
08-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe this doesn't qualify as a "giveaway", but the Spurs scout who got Nocioni's age wrong, causing the Spurs not to draft him is at the very least in the top ten "massive front office fuck-ups"

angelbelow
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
you do realize you only listed 8..