PDA

View Full Version : do you like The Matrix

stretch
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
and does it seem confusing as fuck to you?

this website is pretty cool for matrix fans. now i understand a lot more and have a lot more appreciation for Revolutions. i always knew there was just a shitload of stuff that people didnt understand, which is why people thought it sucked, but i just could never figure out what the hell was going on, but now i understand wayyyyyyyyyyy better and like the series much more.

http://thematrix101.com

monosylab1k
08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
geek forum.

and the third one still sucks.

JudynTX
08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
No. It's confusing as heck.

ashbeeigh
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
My History and Systems of Psychology professor was obsessed with The Matrix. After we finished up our Philosophy section of the class (a la Decartes) we watched both. I still don't get any of them.. but Keanu Reeves was hot. So I'll watch it. :lol

v2freak
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I just saw the second one and noticed a 100% spike in obscurity. But it was still entertaining and followable. The trilogy reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean. Great first movie and disappointing following acts.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
the first one was good. i really didn't "understand" it, but it was entertaining. the second one was bad visually. the fight scene with all the agents reminded me of "who framed roger rabbit". cgi was horrible. there were parts were i actually started laughing at the cgi. the last one was ok, but didn't really matter to me by then.

leemajors
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
the second had the best rave ever on film!

Trainwreck2100
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Seriously what was so hard to understand about that. At some point a human would be born into the Matrix that would be able to bend certain of it laws to his will. When that happened they had to dump Zion and start over because that human would cause the collapse of the Matrix killing all the Humans plus the Machines that they powered.

monosylab1k
08-19-2008, 02:24 PM
the second had the best rave ever on film!

so gross when trinity & neo are screwing and you can see the little string of spit going from one mouth to the other.

balli
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Liked the first one.

Thought the second one was worse, but still watchable. (I agree, the cgi was a joke)

Thought the last one was shitty as fuck.

It's not that I didn't understand it, it's just that what I understood, sucked IMO. The first movie was cool because it was relatively simple- There were just some great fight scenes and an explanation of what the matrix was. Pretty cool. Where they lost me is when it became this huge story about rogue agents, Jesus 2, Oracles, Key Makers, Emo street toughs, Architects, Zion and Machines all duking it out. It was understandable, but I thought it's complexity didn't amount to much as it offered no real reward or suspense. Self-indulgent would be the word to describe it. Also, super lamely emo.

I. Hustle
08-19-2008, 02:30 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/1442743967_d2d2c5c64a.jpg

Kori Ellis
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I have never seen the Matrix. The style doesn't appeal to me.

angel_luv
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I liked the first five- ten minutes of the first film- when he is receiving instructions on the phone.
But after that I lost interest.

MannyIsGod
08-19-2008, 03:02 PM
The first one is absolutely awesome. I liked the 2nd and 3rd more than most people I know but thats because the genre is pretty much my favorite and I love most things scifi.

What parts did people have trouble understanding? I had trouble with how he was able to see after his eyes were destroyed a bit, but that was about it. The rest of it made pretty good sense to me.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought the first one was great.

They over-complicated it from there. The original might make my top 30 movie list. Parts 2 and 3 aren't even on the radar.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Matrix = Good

Matrix Reloaded = transcript of conversation of pretentious college freshmen who just completed Comparative Philosophy 1301 interspersed with deleted scenes from Superman 3.

Matrix Revolutions = The Passion of the Keanu.

brettn
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Nice website, helps me understand it a little more.

And I liked the entire series. I'm a sucker for the showdown between the sentinels and the humans at the dock in Zion. Love that battle scene.

CuckingFunt
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Liked the first one.

Thought the second one was worse, but still watchable. (I agree, the cgi was a joke)

Thought the last one was shitty as fuck.

It's not that I didn't understand it, it's just that what I understood, sucked IMO. The first movie was cool because it was relatively simple- There were just some great fight scenes and an explanation of what the matrix was. Pretty cool. Where they lost me is when it became this huge story about rogue agents, Jesus 2, Oracles, Key Makers, Emo street toughs, Architects, Zion and Machines all duking it out. It was understandable, but I thought it's complexity didn't amount to much as it offered no real reward or suspense. Self-indulgent would be the word to describe it. Also, super lamely emo.

That's about where I am with the trilogy, as well. The thing that annoyed me most was that the first movie laid out a world with much more interesting possibilities than what they actually went with.

I have the big 10-disc collectors DVD (it was a present), but most of those discs will never see the light of day.

monosylab1k
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Part 1 was obviously great.

Part 2 (aside from aforementioned terrible CGI) did what a blockbuster sequel should do: takes everything from Part 1 and kicks it up a notch. I liked all the philosophy and I still get a boner when Morpheus flips the Twins' truck and blows it to hell with his automatic pistol.

Part 3 was a rehash of the first two in every way. Zion battles were retarded, the final battle with Smith was about as boring & anti-climactic as it gets.

stretch
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Nice website, helps me understand it a little more.

And I liked the entire series. I'm a sucker for the showdown between the sentinels and the humans at the dock in Zion. Love that battle scene.

yea the website helped me understand a lot more. kinda interesting how really everything in the movies really revolved around the Oracle. i always kinda wondered what the hell her and the architect were talking about at the end when talking about "playing the game" when it was really the Oracle in a sense "playing a game" and all the other characters were her pawns, with Neo being the most important and powerful. after 6 generations of Zion, the Matrix, and The One, also while getting to understand humans extremely deeply, she knew exactly how to manipulate anything and everything to work for the best and finally end the war.

BacktoBasics
08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm sure the remake will go over well.

brettn
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
yea the website helped me understand a lot more. kinda interesting how really everything in the movies really revolved around the Oracle. i always kinda wondered what the hell her and the architect were talking about at the end when talking about "playing the game" when it was really the Oracle in a sense "playing a game" and all the other characters were her pawns, with Neo being the most important and powerful. after 6 generations of Zion, the Matrix, and The One, also while getting to understand humans extremely deeply, she knew exactly how to manipulate anything and everything to work for the best and finally end the war.

I agree, that's what I found most interesting. Her whole manipulation of pretty much every single character in the movie. It gave good reasoning as to why she would want to help the humans as well.

monosylab1k
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
My question about the Oracle was always wondering why she'd help the humans, considering the humans winning meant destruction for her. After the first part I always speculated that she'd turn into a villain as the humans got stronger, but the Wachowski Siblings (or is it still Brothers? i thought i heard one of them got a sex change) went in a different direction.

stretch
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree, that's what I found most interesting. Her whole manipulation of pretty much every single character in the movie. It gave good reasoning as to why she would want to help the humans as well.

yup. that along with the whole part about Sati (the little girl), and how significant of a character she really was.

brettn
08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
My question about the Oracle was always wondering why she'd help the humans, considering the humans winning meant destruction for her. After the first part I always speculated that she'd turn into a villain as the humans got stronger, but the Wachowski Siblings (or is it still Brothers? i thought i heard one of them got a sex change) went in a different direction.

She helped them, gambling that Neo would be smart enough and able to broker peace with the machines once he knew Smith was the main threat to the Matrix, thereby ending the war, at least temporarily, between machines and humans. Of course, she was also gambling that Neo would be able to defeat Smith, which he did of course.

Matrix survives, humans survive, Zion survives machines survive, oracle survives. Everyone's happy!

stretch
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM

because she knew that there was no way that the humans could have the power to completely destroy the machines, while the machines could not survive without humans. she knew they had to come to some sort of truce. the machines realized that when Neo came to them, because they had no control over smith, and Neo was the only chance they had to get rid of him so that he would not destroy the Matrix, thus killing all humans tied into the Matrix and getting rid of Machines altogether.

also, just as the machines had learned different human-like emotions such as compassion and love (as evidenced in the creation of Sati which led to Neo realizing he could negotiate with the Machines), the Oracle's initial purpose which was to study human emotion, interaction, etc... evolved as well.

Spurminator
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
This thread reminds me of one of the last things I ever saw on MTV.

GW5SUC4dODA

leemajors
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
i just watched the episode of spaced with the matrix spoof in it last night. funny stuff.

MannyIsGod
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
:lol

Thats pretty awesome.

Sense
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
The first one is absolutely awesome. I liked the 2nd and 3rd more than most people I know but thats because the genre is pretty much my favorite and I love most things scifi.

What parts did people have trouble understanding? I had trouble with how he was able to see after his eyes were destroyed a bit, but that was about it. The rest of it made pretty good sense to me.

yep

this movie wasn't hard for me to understand, I don't get why people wouldn't get it

Leetonidas
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Dude I just read the meaning to all of those movies...holy crap, now I need to buy them.

Kriz-Maxima
08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I have only seen the first and I loved it. Eventually I'll see the other two. Sometime.

angelbelow
08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
nope

tp2021
08-20-2008, 12:46 AM

+1
That might be my favorite scene in the whole trilogy.