PDA

View Full Version : Stern wants presance in India/China

manufor3
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
NBA commissioner David Stern would like for the league to soon have a presence in both China and India, according to The Associated Press.

Stern cannot believe how far the league has come in their relations with China since it began in 1985.

"You know, I didn't even dare to think about that," Stern said. "The question was one step at a time. If you've been along on the journey, sometimes you don't realize how far you've come."

India appears to be on the NBA's radar as well.

"We think that that's a very promising market," said Stern. "The sport is very much on the move."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54055/20080819/stern_nba_wants_presence_in_china_india/

sribb43
08-19-2008, 03:57 PM
He needs to get his league straight on the main land first before he tries to venture out

v2freak
08-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Agreed sribb43. He's got hell of a lot of problems to fix.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
"Ron Artest and the Rockets spent an afternoon beating up Tibetans. The Sacramento Kings showed disadvantaged children how to avoid making eye contact with anyone in a higher caste. And Steve Nash of the Suns volunteered his time answering phones at a Dell Technical Support Center. The NBA...Where Caring Happens."

jack sommerset
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Stern appears to have lost his swagger. NBA needs a new comish.

td4mvp21
08-19-2008, 05:00 PM
He needs to get his league straight on the main land first before he tries to venture out

Afuckingmen :tu But of course, nothing is wrong with the league! :rolleyes

Zee Laker
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Afuckingmen :tu But of course, nothing is wrong with the league! :rolleyes

Well according to Stren, if the league is making money then everything is peachy. The only change needed is to make more money. How it effect the game of basketball and the integrity of the game is not always important.

People should not blame Stren alone for this mess. The owners and the players are just as greedy as Stren if not more.

As for NBA being mainstream sport in India, i dont know. That will need alot of work. ALOT. Hardly any1 play basketball in india. Its either cricket or hockey

lefty
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
"Ron Artest and the Rockets spent an afternoon beating up Tibetans. The Sacramento Kings showed disadvantaged children how to avoid making eye contact with anyone in a higher caste. And Steve Nash of the Suns volunteered his time answering phones at a Dell Technical Support Center. The NBA...Where Caring Happens."

:lol

lefty
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM

:tu

rj215
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM

+1

Spurtacus
08-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Stern is an idiot.

spurspf
08-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Stern is an idiot.

Unfortunately he is not. I don't just say that because he is a fellow Columbia Alum. He has brought alot of money to the league, but the lack of accountability(from refs) and his proclivity for large market teams brings many things into question. He wanted a Boston vs. LA finals, hey guess what happened. That is better than this wet wish though, LA vs. LA.

Spurtacus
08-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Unfortunately he is not. I don't just say that because he is a fellow Columbia Alum. He has brought alot of money to the league, but the lack of accountability(from refs) and his proclivity for large market teams brings many things into question. He wanted a Boston vs. LA finals, hey guess what happened. That is better than this wet wish though, LA vs. LA.

He's done a lot of great things for the NBA. A lot that we now take for granted. But shit like wanting a presence in India/China is moronic. Focus on the problems at hand (nba players leaving for Europe, referee cheating, etc).

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-20-2008, 05:22 AM

Only douchebags try fit into casual conversation that they went to an Ivy League school

Kamnik
08-20-2008, 05:38 AM

:lol

nil.ball
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
What he needs is Dubai DesertCats, this greedy old man can't have enough greens.

SenorSpur
08-20-2008, 08:30 AM

Exactly. Stern needs to first rid his league of "rogue" officials and come up with a better methodology of independently evaluating these officials. Being the arrogant prick that he is, he's often far too concerned with quickly sweeping issues "under the table" in order to save the public perception of his league. Clean up your own house first before attempting to conquer the world.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
For what it's worth I actually agree with Stern on this one. The credibility issue facing the league and its officials is not going to be solved over night, and I don't know what else they can do at this point in time. The only thing that is going to fix that issue will be this season going on without any refs being arrested and trades that look collusionary, and it's not like they've just sat on their hands this offseason. Time will tell if the steps they did take were sufficient, but steps were taken.

As for the free agents bailing to Europe, it's not good for the league but I don't see how Stern is supposed to magically fix the exchange rate or force NBA teams to pay the sort of money that these European teams can now offer. The NBA commissioner does not actually have the power to confiscate passports, even in this post 9-11 world.

On the other hand, China represents a rapidly growing economy with two nationally revered talents playing in two large markets now. Every other story I've heard all year is about how China is the future of the global economy. Only a fool wouldn't try to expand a foothold over there, especially now in a summer Olympic year when your biggest stars can act as good will ambassadors (and visit brothels).

As for India, I have no idea if basketball is really going to be a hit over there, but again, it's a huge untapped market, and if you're serious about expanding into Asia you have to look at that as well.

manufor3
08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
He's done a lot of great things for the NBA. A lot that we now take for granted. But shit like wanting a presence in India/China is moronic. Focus on the problems at hand (nba players leaving for Europe, referee cheating, etc).

+1