PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Team Up With Other Franchises For Career Day

duncan228
08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/08/18/daily20.html?ana=from_rss

Spurs team up with other franchises for career day
San Antonio Business Journal - by W. Scott Bailey

Spurs Sports & Entertainment will host its first career fair on Sept. 13 at AT&T Center from 3-6 p.m.

A number of organizations will be represented, including the San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.

SS&E officials say professionals from several Texas sports franchises and the WNBA will gather in San Antonio and provide a unique opportunity for individuals looking to break into the sports industry.

The job fair will feature opportunities and information in various sports fields, including advertising, broadcasting, business, communications, finance/accounting, hospitality, journalism, management, marketing, public relations and sales.

The list of organizations expected to participate includes the Spurs, Rockets, San Antonio Rampage (AHL), San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA), Austin Toros (NBA developmental league), Houston Comets (WNBA), Houston Aeros (AHL), Laredo Bucks (CHL) and the San Antonio Missions (Texas League).

The WNBA league office, Argus (ushering and security), Levy Restaurants and Aramark are also slated to participate.

SS&E officials say pre-registration is $15 through Sept. 12 and $20 on the day of the event.

For more information log on to active.com, keyword career fair.

DynastyBuilder
08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sse_careerfair_080913.html

Brutalis
08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah it's definitely slow around here!

duncan228
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah it's definitely slow around here!

:lol It is, but there were a couple of people looking for info on how to "break into the sports industry", I thought this might be interesting.

DPG21920
08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Just got back from vacation, thank you for the post, I am going to look into it!

DPG21920
09-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I just drove in 4 hours from Dallas to go to this tomorrow, is anyone else going?

duncan228
09-13-2008, 12:47 AM
I just drove in 4 hours from Dallas to go to this tomorrow, is anyone else going?

Glad you're going to attend it. Good luck.

DPG21920
09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Glad you're going to attend it. Good luck.

Thanks, I am very excited and a little nervous.

DPG21920
09-13-2008, 12:51 AM
I will be sure to tell everyone how it went.

ShoogarBear
09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Another chance for Dennis Lindsey to help the Rockets out.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-14-2008, 06:54 AM
tell me how it went. I have been turned off a bit coz a few people have told me that they pay like crap, work you looooong hours and its not a good choice for a family man.

DPG21920
09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I went to the job fair. It was good. It is hard to know what to expect from these things, but I feel like I got some good leads. Everything, and I mean everything, was entry level sales positions. That is the way to get your foot in the door. There was probably 1500 people. I talked to the everyone there (companies).

They said it is an ultra competitive field to get into along with everyone having to start at the bottom. Pay won't be great at first, but if you do something you love...It was a good experience, but I am sure it was hard to make a good impression with so many people and resumes.

I tried to get creative, and I think it worked. I have my MBA and they really did not even notice; they really liked the fact I am well educated and it might get me a nod, but with regards to pay increase or starting position, I am sure I will have to work my way up just like everyone. I am already prepared for this, so I will take what I can and work hard so I can rise in the company if I am afforded an opportunity.

I spoke with the Missions, Houston Rockets, Spurs, Toros, Silver Stars, Rampage and the Laredo Bucks.

I will answer any and all questions some of you might have if you are interested!

ChuckD
09-14-2008, 08:08 PM
tell me how it went. I have been turned off a bit coz a few people have told me that they pay like crap, work you looooong hours and its not a good choice for a family man.

You think you're going to waltz into an asst. GM position? You gotta pay your dooz. That involves hard work an long hours, because the positions above it also require hard work and long hours. Eventually, the money improves, but the work and hours stay about constant. Sam Presti started as an intern at $250 a month. That was in the early part of this decade.