PDA

View Full Version : Now we're really fvcked

baseline bum
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
An EA merger with Take-Two gets U.S. antitrust OK (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1842132920080820)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. antitrust authorities would approve a combination of Electronic Arts Inc with rival video game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software, according to letters from the Federal Trade Commission posted on the agency's web site.

On Monday, Electronic Arts Inc said it would allow its hostile $2 billion bid for rival video game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc to expire and instead pursue private talks with the company.

In separate letters to the two companies dated August 18, the FTC said it had conducted an investigation of a merger of the companies.

"Upon further review of this matter, it now appears that no additional action by the commission is warranted at this time. Accordingly, the investigation has been closed," the letters said.

Shares of Electronic Arts were 2.3 percent higher to $47.48 in late morning trading, while Take-Two stock rose 4 percent to $23.99, both on Nasdaq. Take-Two shares had stood at around $17 in February, just before EA's first offer was announced.

EA said on Monday its chief executive, John Riccitiello, and Take-Two Executive Chairman Strauss Zelnick held talks over the weekend, and Take-Two's management has agreed to present its three-year product pipeline and financial forecasts to EA.

EA, publisher of the popular "Madden," "Need for Speed" and "Rock Band" games, had offered $25.74 per share in April for Take-Two, which rejected the price as too low.

(Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

IronMexican
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
this sucks ass.

maybe we can get an NFL 2k now though

Trainwreck2100
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
EA tried to do a Hostile takeover for Take two right before GTA4 came out.

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2008, 11:29 PM
EA tried to do a Hostile takeover for Take two right before GTA4 came out.

yeh that,

bid was too low as gta4 was comin out they expected a huge return so played there cards right and waited for a bigger offer...

EA sucks anyway, they dont make good games no more, all they do is buy out the competitors and repackage them under there brand.....at least the big boy blizzard doesnt get buy out

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2008, 01:21 AM
It would guarantee a Bioshock 2

baseline bum
08-21-2008, 01:48 AM
I don't think Bioshock has much potential for a sequel. Any sequel will be a boring FPS that GASP! TAKES PLACE UNDERWATER!!!

The thought of EA fucking my 2 favorite series over (NBA2k and GTA) makes me want to put my 360 up on EBay.

sabar
08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Ugh what horrible news. EA sucks so much. They just dump money into sequels and tell the dev team you got 12 months to release this on 6 platforms.

Oh, not to mention they dissolve the developers they gobble up and merge them with other teams. See: Westwood

Anti.Hero
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
It's hard to talk shit about EA since I grew up with their games but now they have turned into a monster.

This new DRM they put on games (PC) is just ridiculous.