View Full Version : Free Agent - Donyell Marshall

timvp
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_donyell_marshall.jpg
Born: May 18, 1973
Height: 6-9
Weight: 245 lbs.
College: Connecticut

Profile (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/donyell_marshall/)

Donyell Marshall recently became a free agent (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103333). Not exactly shocking news but I mention it because Marshall is one of Pop's favorite players. A couple years ago on the radio during his show, Pop said a lot of good things about Marshall and said that the Spurs' scouting department has liked him for a long time. It was noteworthy because Pop rarely goes into specifics about anything when being interviewed.

Marshall is coming off of a horrible season and I think he's washed up as a player, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is interest from the Spurs. Would anyone want the Spurs to bring Marshall in?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I would. Who wouldn't want the all-time leader in 3 pointers in a game?

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I didn't see anything to make me think he had any more left than Horry did last year. I fear the FO hates Matt Bonner enough to still pursue him though.

LUDA FOR THREE!

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
A homeless man's version of the 2007-08 Robert Horry model.

T Park
08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't hurt.

If hes got nothing, kick him out.

I agree though, I think the tank is on E.

wisnub
08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I would. Who wouldn't want the all-time leader in 3 pointers in a game?

I Aree. BRING HIM IN!!!!

pad300
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Donyell Marshall recently became a free agent (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103333). Not exactly shocking news but I mention it because Marshall is one of Pop's favorite players. A couple years ago on the radio during his show, Pop said a lot of good things about Marshall and said that the Spurs' scouting department has liked him for a long time. It was noteworthy because Pop rarely goes into specifics about anything when being interviewed.

Marshall is coming off of a horrible season and I think he's washed up as a player, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is interest from the Spurs. Would anyone want the Spurs to bring Marshall in?

Not I. He's done already - lost what athleticism he had. He's never been a really smart defender. I'd rather have Horry than him. I'd rather have no signing than Horry. If I was doing things, I'd offer the same contract Tolliver is on to Elton Brown and Nick Fazekas - let them fight for it in training camp...

Currently we have 5 guaranteed bigs (Tim, Bonner, Oberto, Kurt, Mahinmi) and Tolliver (who, as above, I'd like to see some competition for). We have 5 guaranteed Wings (Manu, Bowen, Udoka, Mason, & Finley *gawdamnit*). We have 2 guarantees (Parker, Vaughn) and a 1st round pick (Hill). I think if we bring in more players, they will fall into 3 categories
1) Non guaranteed young bigs to compete with Tolliver (see above)
2) A 6th Wing - Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen; the FO likes to operate with a empty slot on the roster. I'd still do it if a good player was available (If I really wanted a roster spot, I'd dump Finley somehow. Even cutting him if necessary - yes, I have a serious dose of Haterade for Finley. Given Pop's bromance, I can see him taking minutes he shouldn't get...Like he did last year)
3) A PG to take Vaughn's spot; his contract is small enough to cut even if we cant dump him through a trade...

Given this, players I'd try for:
ESPN's list of FA's is here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents
and it's kept up to date. As of 20 Aug, the only UFA's I'd welcome would be Sam Cassell (I think he's got more than vaugh...), Devin Brown (he's a decent player, but he's burned his bridges in SA),

Other unlisted FA's I'd be interested in - Quinton Ross, Ramunas Sisauskas (yes, he's a pipe dream unless suddenly seized by a burning desire to play in the NBA - he'd have to take a hell of a pay cut) Artur Drozdov (Another pipe dream, http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Artur-Drozdov-5118/ )

baseline bum
08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd rather bring back Rob.

xtremesteven33
08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
haha....sad that its come to this......

T Park
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
haha....sad that its come to this......

Who would you sign instead genius?

xtremesteven33
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Who would you sign instead genius?

????

obviously nothing is left really. its very sad we have to consider an aged veteran who hasnt proven anything as of late.

id rather have horry.........genius

SenorSpur
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Pass.

T Park
08-20-2008, 05:15 PM
????

obviously nothing is left really. its very sad we have to consider an aged veteran who hasnt proven anything as of late.
id rather have horry.........genius

Why is it sad?

Who the fuck have they passed up that they should've signed?

Or are you just mindlessly bitching just for the sake of being a whiny brat?

xtremesteven33
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Why is it sad?

Who the fuck have they passed up that they should've signed?

Or are you just mindlessly bitching just for the sake of being a whiny brat?

wow someones on thier rag.haha

dude, if someone has been the voice of reason around here its me. ppl here panicked when we didnt draft chalmers, panicked when we didnt sign maggette, panicked when we couldnt sign smith, and became depressed when barry left.

all in all i have been consistent with my posts.

"IF healthy well be back to the Finals"

all im saying is its sad as of right now we couldve had so much better and now we might have to consider DONYELL MARSHALL when we couldve gotten so much better. not the FO's fault. just bad luck.....

:ihit

T Park
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
all im saying is its sad as of right now we couldve had so much better and now we might have to consider DONYELL MARSHALL when we couldve gotten so much better. not the FO's fault. just bad luck.....

Once again, I fail to see how its "sad"

xtremesteven33
08-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Once again, I fail to see how its "sad"

:rolleyes

Spurtacus
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Marshall>Bonner

Tully365
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Not I. He's done already - lost what athleticism he had. He's never been a really smart defender. I'd rather have Horry than him. I'd rather have no signing than Horry. If I was doing things, I'd offer the same contract Tolliver is on to Elton Brown and Nick Fazekas - let them fight for it in training camp...

Currently we have 5 guaranteed bigs (Tim, Bonner, Oberto, Kurt, Mahinmi) and Tolliver (who, as above, I'd like to see some competition for). We have 5 guaranteed Wings (Manu, Bowen, Udoka, Mason, & Finley *gawdamnit*). We have 2 guarantees (Parker, Vaughn) and a 1st round pick (Hill). I think if we bring in more players, they will fall into 3 categories
1) Non guaranteed young bigs to compete with Tolliver (see above)
2) A 6th Wing - Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen; the FO likes to operate with a empty slot on the roster. I'd still do it if a good player was available (If I really wanted a roster spot, I'd dump Finley somehow. Even cutting him if necessary - yes, I have a serious dose of Haterade for Finley. Given Pop's bromance, I can see him taking minutes he shouldn't get...Like he did last year)
3) A PG to take Vaughn's spot; his contract is small enough to cut even if we cant dump him through a trade...

Given this, players I'd try for:
ESPN's list of FA's is here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents
and it's kept up to date. As of 20 Aug, the only UFA's I'd welcome would be Sam Cassell (I think he's got more than vaugh...), Devin Brown (he's a decent player, but he's burned his bridges in SA),

Other unlisted FA's I'd be interested in - Quinton Ross, Ramunas Sisauskas (yes, he's a pipe dream unless suddenly seized by a burning desire to play in the NBA - he'd have to take a hell of a pay cut) Artur Drozdov (Another pipe dream, http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Artur-Drozdov-5118/ )

+1. I'd add Kirk Snyder to that list for a Udoka-type price tag. He's young and could still develop into a decent swing player. He doesn't shoot the 3 much, but was 50% FG last year overall. Ditto for Earl Barron and Andre Brown as inexpensive potential 5th bigs.

I'd sit back on the PG position for now. If the worst case scenario happens-- Parker getting hurt-- Mason could actually start at PG, with Vaughn and Hill subbing and even Manu getting a few minutes there. Trial by fire will either make or break Hill, and I still think he has the potential to emerge as a good young backup to Tony.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2008, 06:06 PM
dude, if someone has been the voice of reason around here its me. ppl here panicked when we didnt draft chalmers, panicked when we didnt sign maggette, panicked when we couldnt sign smith, and became depressed when barry left.

And people panicked when Pargo went to Russia. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2715770#post2715770) :lol

T Park
08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
thats what I thought :lol

xtremesteven33
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
big difference between PANIC and WORRY

nice try though

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Call it whatever you like, you know you contradicted yourself.

It's called synonyms. :lol

T Park
08-20-2008, 06:23 PM

nice try though

Fail.

Nice try though.

DROB4EVER
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Im sure they will make an offer, guy is very similar to Horry 3 yrs ago, long arms good post defender and rebounder and can get hot from behind the arch.

Im sure we have already contacted his agent. I would love to have him, and hope we can get rid of bonner.

T Park
08-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Im on the D Marsh bandwagon only if you trade Bonner.

Trade Bonner, then bring him in. Play Marshall, develop Tolliver.

mrspurs
08-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Pass.

i double that pass :downspin:

lotr1trekkie
08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I'd take Horry in an NY minute over Marshall. Ditto the Fin man.

Sense
08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
He wouldn't improve the Spurs...I honestly think he's pretty much an old Bonner... he is washed up there's no point to bring him in.....

Oh and it is sad.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Im on the D Marsh bandwagon only if you trade Bonner.

Trade Bonner, then bring him in. Play Marshall, develop Tolliver.

:tu

Spurs4lyf
08-20-2008, 10:46 PM
He used to be a pretty good shoot blocker with his long arms, maybe he has something left. With whats left out on the FA market he wouldn't be a bad pick up IMO.

manufor3
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM

nice try though

:lol they're synonyms.

Padron.spurs
08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Its a toss up between Horry and Marshall, so who would play for one year and the least money possible.

SenorSpur
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Dude was soft in his prime. I agree in choosing Horry over him - and I didn't even want Horry back. :0)

Sissiborgo
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
M.R oldie no way!....

Taking it to the Hole
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I think not bringing Horry back could be a mistake. You know he is a solid teammate, and just having him on the court makes teams wary. Marshall is a proven 3-pt threat, but he isn't clutch like Horry. I really hope we try to find a way to keep him, but I doubt it seeing as we signed Tolliver.

tav1
08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Three years ago, yes. But now, I just see Bonner-Tolliver-Marshall as an unholy trinity.

Having said that, I can see the Spurs inexplicably going in this direction. I hope not.

wildbill2u
08-22-2008, 12:14 AM

Pop has an uncanny eye for spotting washed-up players so I wouldn't be surprised.

DROB4EVER
08-22-2008, 01:05 AM
The guy would be a good fit, an extra simi big who makes up for lack of size with long arms. Good rebounder and a consistant 3pt shooter. He would be a nice guy to give Thomas a rest every now and then.

SenorSpur
08-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Like Horry, this dude was washed up last season. Unlike Horry, he's been soft his whole career. I'm not sure why Pop has been so fascinated with him, but based on his previous lust for washed-up vets like NVE and Damon Stoudamire, I'm not surprised.

wildbill2u
08-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Like Horry, this dude was washed up last season. Unlike Horry, he's been soft his whole career. I'm not sure why Pop has been so fascinated with him, but based on his previous lust for washed-up vets like NVE and Damon Stoudamire, I'm not surprised.

Anyone remember Pop's years long fascination with Melvin Ely? Then he finally picks him up and only plays him in 6 games.

If you go to Basket-ball Reference.com you'll find that his projected 36 minutes stats, based on his small sample in games played were 7.8 rebounds and 10.5 ppg.

And guess what, last year with NO he played in 52 games and his projected average over 36 minutes was 8.0 rebounds and 11.5 ppg.

Does anyone understand Pop and his doghouse rotation system?

Spurs Brazil
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=104387

Report: Marshall will join the Sixers
From staff and wire reports

Reading High legend and veteran NBA forward Donyell Marshall will sign a contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, according to a Philly.com posting Sunday by Philadelphia Daily News Sixers beat writer Phil Jasner.

Marshall's agent, Andy Miller, confirmed to Jasner that Marshall is scheduled to meet with the Sixers today, then have a physical exam and likely sign a contract soon.

A 14-year veteran of seven NBA teams, Marshall is an unrestricted free agent. Oklahoma City, formerly the Seattle SuperSonics, waived him in a buyout situation Aug. 20; Marshall was scheduled to make $5.95 million in the upcoming 2008-09 season, the final year of a four-year deal he originally signed with Cleveland in the summer of 2005.

The Sixers have not confirmed the report.

The Big East Player of the Year in 1993-94 for the University of Connecticut, Marshall was picked by Minnesota No. 4 overall in the 1994 draft.

Marshall, 35, later played for Golden State, Utah, Chicago, Toronto and Cleveland before the Cavaliers dealt him to Seattle last season. He played sparingly for the Sonics, averaging just 12.3 minutes and 3.8 points in 15 games.

Marshall has averaged 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds in his career. Against the Sixers while with Toronto in 2005, Marshall tied a single-game NBA record by hitting 12 3-pointers.

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
^ Yup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3565257

wildbill2u
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Picture makes him look pregnant.

There is absolutely no sense in looking for a rookie or young vet who's been cut. That isn't the Spur's style. Surely we can find someone older, fatter, and slower to give all the other teams a 'spot'???

lotr1trekkie
09-03-2008, 10:44 AM
We still don't have someone to play Horry's role--first big off the bench. FRom last years playoffs Pop doesn't think Bonner is the answer. Mahimni is the X-factor here. If he can't
contribute 20 minutes a nite we will need to make a move at the end of training camp. I'd prefer someone younger and someone who could play some D and rebound.