PDA

View Full Version : To Follow up on Anheuser-Busch and the Military

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-08-2005, 12:53 AM
http://www.herosalute.com/cavatx/index.html

Anheuser-Busch is honored to salute the men and women of our armed forces and their families. Throughout 2005, members of the military and as many as three direct dependents may enter Anheuser-Busch's SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or Sesame Place parks with complimentary admission.

For your service and sacrifice, we thank you.

Looks like they're putting their money where their mouth is on the troop support.

baseline bum
02-08-2005, 03:59 AM
That's dope. Hats off to them and may my next 30-pack be Bud instead of MGD.

JoeChalupa
02-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Outstanding.

Taco
02-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Pretty Freaking Cool!!!

Men and Women of our armed forces..............THIS BUDS FOR YOU!!!!

tlongII
02-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Big deal. The cost to Anheuser-Busch on this is minimal.

ididnotnothat
02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
It's the thought that counts. Now how many will bring fake military id's to get in free?

Spurminator
02-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing the charge still applies for a $6 hot dog and $20 beer. ;)

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I think it's awesome that they are playing off of people's patriotism to make a few extra bucks.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 12:05 PM
A family of 2 adults and 2 children costs $142.00 to get into SeaWorld in San Antonio for the day...and that's just admission.

For those of us that like to take our kids to places like that, that is an awesome deal. You're not obligated to buy $6.00 hotdogs and ice water refills are free.

That's very cool of them to do that...considering they don't have to. :)

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Big deal. The cost to Anheuser-Busch on this is minimal.

actually, it costs a lot to get in to those places... and military folks don't have a lot of money so this is really nice for them.. who cares how much it cost to AB?

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I think this a conspiracy by president Busch!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Sure they spend a little to provide the free admission and what not but they'll make that back and then some from all of the good redblooded Americans who will now dutifully buy a 24 pack of Bud instead of Miller...

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 12:55 PM
So what? Isn't that what advertising is all about - to get people to buy your product over the competition? The fact that they are supporting the military is what's important - if they increase their market share as a result - more power to them!

BTW - I don't drink alcohol, so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me!

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
If AB makes more money off of it, good for them....had it applied to me, unless I ended up purchasing stock or something, I really wouldn't care. It's still saving me a lot of money because me & my kids like to go to places like that and because it's so expensive can't always afford to do so.

It's a lot easier to come up with an extra $50 for drinks and whatever if you don't have to pay the $100 to get in, too.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
So what? Isn't that what advertising is all about - to get people to buy your product over the competition? The fact that they are supporting the military is what's important - if they increase their market share as a result - more power to them!

BTW - I don't drink alcohol, so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me!

So stop acting like the company has done some sort of great service.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Damn Sparky, they are giving away something for free. Don't look the gift whale in the blowhole!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Free to one group and compensated by another...

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
You know at this point, I don't care what AB does or doesn't do with their money.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 02:06 PM

Your words would make a nice inscription on a soldier's tombstone. Maybe A-B will pay for them too.

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Let's see.. 43.99 for soldier, 43.99 for his wife. $33.99 for two kids.. equals 155.96 PLUS tax goes to $168.24 that you potentially save the servicemember who has always wanted to take his family, but couldn't justify the cost of the tickets.. now, he can pack a lunch in an ice chest and take the kids for a minimal cost to him.

it is fucking great...

p.s. yes, i own stock in BUD. one of the best stocks to own.

gophergeorge
02-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Actually, they have been doing this for the past 4 or 5 years....

It is appreciated....

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Free to one group and compensated by another...

Compensated by who?

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 03:15 PM
...compensated by those redblooded patriotic Americans who will buy Bud or more of it.

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 03:15 PM
There is nothing that can repay these brave men and women for what they are sacrificing; however, if this thank you from AB allows a military family to spend some quality time together enjoying something that they would otherwise not have the money to do, then why are some of you so down on it? Most military families live on a limited income and trips to places such as Sea World are many times way beyond the family budget.

AB makes enough money that they can do this without harming their bottom line - and it gives them some great PR!

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 03:34 PM
...compensated by those redblooded patriotic Americans who will buy Bud or more of it.

Uh, so what. And why would anyone buy more beer because of this commercial?

gophergeorge
02-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Advertising works both ways....

I don't eat at Sonic cause those two guys in their stupid commercials...

I don't drink Pepsi.... even more so now that they used a homosexual reference in a commerical.... same with Miller Lite...

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh gee I don't know why people would buy more beer because of a commercial.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 03:52 PM
There is nothing that can repay these brave men and women for what they are sacrificing; however, if this thank you from AB allows a military family to spend some quality time together enjoying something that they would otherwise not have the money to do, then why are some of you so down on it? Most military families live on a limited income and trips to places such as Sea World are many times way beyond the family budget.

AB makes enough money that they can do this without harming their bottom line - and it gives them some great PR!

So AB does that in order to sell more beer.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh gee I don't know why people would buy more beer because of a commercial.

What does that mean, or prove? They are giving away something for free. What is wrong with that?

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
What does that mean, or prove? They are giving away something for free. What is wrong with that?

My question exactly! Sparky seems to have a real problem with this and I can't figure out the real reason why. It seems like a win-win situation to me - why is Sparky so against it?

Jimcs50
02-08-2005, 04:23 PM
No more 10 min lines on The Steel Eel.

:cuss

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 04:23 PM

They are running a commercial about them giving away something for free. Why?

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 04:24 PM
My question exactly! Sparky seems to have a real problem with this and I can't figure out the real reason why. It seems like a win-win situation to me - why is Sparky so against it?

I have a real problem with those who think that the commercial and their program is anything other than motivated by a desire to sell more beer.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a real problem with those who think that the commercial and their program is anything other than motivated by a desire to sell more beer.

I have a real problem with those who think that it's a problem for a corporation to give something away for free. Do they require that you get drunk to get the tickets? Do the require you to buy beer? Do they require anything from you? This isn't "Marlboro Miles" or anything like that. It's free.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 04:51 PM
They are not counting on the people who get the free tix to buy more beer they are counting on them portraying an image of a good patriotic company to generate more beer sales among viewers of the commercial.

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
And your point is?

Ain't Capitalism grand?!

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
They are not counting on the people who get the free tix to buy more beer they are counting on them portraying an image of a good patriotic company to generate more beer sales among viewers of the commercial.

See here's the funny thing. They are being a good company by giving away something for free. Do you actually believe anyone will switch brands because of that commercial? Do think anyone will drink MORE beer? It's free, what's the catch? Please tell me.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:06 PM
And your point is?

Ain't Capitalism grand?!

So it's just using patriotic sentiment to make an extra buck. Why can't the firm just do it and not run an ad about it?

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:07 PM
See here's the funny thing. They are being a good company by giving away something for free. Do you actually believe anyone will switch brands because of that commercial? Do think anyone will drink MORE beer? It's free, what's the catch? Please tell me.

Why run the ad then? You're right though, the firm is being a good company alright...good to its shareholders.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Why run the ad then? You're right though, the firm is being a good company alright...good to its shareholders.

Uh, because they want people to know about the program. Sure it's good publicity, but so what? If a company gives to the poor and runs an add about it, is that wrong? Are you upset over the fact that it's the US military that get's the free tickets, or that it's a beer company that is behind it?

tlongII
02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't have a problem with the commercial's premise. Essentially it's a way for them to promote the brand and most companies do that in one way or another. I definitely do not think it's a great commercial just because it shows troops getting applause at an airport. It's just a freaking commercial. The troops are most likely actors and not real troops. I found no entertainment value in the spot. It's dumb.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Why can't the firm just do it and not run an ad about it?

Is there an ad about the program that I didn't see? The only commercial I saw was the "Thank You" one.

The link AHF posted about the program was from some website, it wasn't on a commercial that I've seen.

Did I miss one? :wtf

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
sparky, would you be pissed if the spurs organization gave away free tickets to a spurs game???

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Uh, because they want people to know about the program. Sure it's good publicity, but so what? If a company gives to the poor and runs an add about it, is that wrong? Are you upset over the fact that it's the US military that get's the free tickets, or that it's a beer company that is behind it?

It doesn't strike me as being commendable that a firm do so in order to move more product.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
sparky, would you be pissed if the spurs organization gave away free tickets to a spurs game???

I'd feel pretty much the same way, the firm is doing so in order to ultimately benefit itself.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 05:28 PM

They give them away to the military and other organizations all of the time ... if I'm not mistaken the money for those tickets is raised through things like the Tux 'N Tennis auction, the golf tournament thing, and other events like that. I'm not sure that would be exactly the same thing....

The events are held for that purpose....that and other charitable contributions.

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
the verdict...sparky..you're just a dumbfuck... and you better never accept anything for free!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
the verdict...sparky..you're just a dumbfuck... and you better never accept anything for free!

Oh no what ever will I do?

Sigh.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Look, companies do stuff like this all the time to create an image, to enhance a brand, if you will. Now why might a firm care about its image? Hmmm, I wonder.

They're not doing so just 'because it's the right thing to do' or whatever.

TheMrPeanut
02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
This is nuts. I'm having a beer and saluting the troops.

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 05:38 PM
They're not doing so just 'because it's the right thing to do' or whatever.

And you know this how? Were you in the marketing meetings at AB? I pity someone who is so cynical.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Don't the Spurs sellout every game? If so, I don't think giving away game tickets could be contrued as a means for pimpin' the product.

I'm sure someone at A-B did the math and determined they could profit from their gesture, so long as they did not allow a free pass for more than three dependants.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
And you know this how? Were you in the marketing meetings at AB? I pity someone who is so cynical.

I pity someone who is so blind.

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 05:53 PM
fact is a military family could save $168! more than other businesses are offering...

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 06:00 PM
They are giveing away passes for free. You don't have to buy their product. What is wrong with that? Are they taking something from someone? What is the "evil motive"? To sell their products? OMG!!! What a concept! I think they should be BANNED from giving stuff away to the troops. I'm sure the average soldier would understand why they couldn't get free admission for their family and spend some relaxing time with them because of some out of place "morals" from one individual.

Next on the crackdown list, McDonalds. Did you know that they support a bunch of housing for families that have childern with severe medical conditions that require treatment. I wonder how much money they make by selling hamburgers to those "sick" kids! Oh the humanity!!!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Why run an ad pointing out how wonderful of a company they are? Again, image. Why does image matter to a company? Gee, I don't know.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
This concept shoudn't be new to people. It's the same reason firms run ad campaigns designed to highlight how environmentally friendly they are. Such campaigns aren't merely designed to promote conservation, but rather to enhance their image and ultimately their bottom line.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Next on the crackdown list, McDonalds. Did you know that they support a bunch of housing for families that have childern with severe medical conditions that require treatment. I wonder how much money they make by selling hamburgers to those "sick" kids! Oh the humanity!!!

Maybe a little less extreme, but perhaps they should cut out grocery coupons, too. It's just advertising for those not bright enough to understand what's really going on. I mean, isn't that just charity for the middle & lower class who I would imagine use them the most?

Why the hell should the average, non-millionaire, working class Joe have an extra dollar in their pocket for bright colors and whiter whites why these big companies just sit back and count all of the money rolling in?

And I know it's not the same as using patriotism or national pride or conservation or the environment or whatever...but I don't think anyone is under the illusion that companies aren't in it for the money....that add was what $2.5 million dollars?

Bottom line is, it's still a cool thing for them to do...because regardless of whether or not those service men & women drink Budweiser, they can still take their family out for a nice time that'll be a little easier on their pocketbook.

They could have just aired their version of the Coors twins or bunch of big horses and said "Fuck It."

OR OF FEW MORE OF THOSE DUMB-ASSED REFEREES! :lol

Shelly
02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Maybe a little less extreme, but perhaps they should cut out grocery coupons, too. It's just advertising for those not bright enough to understand what's really going on. I mean, isn't that just charity for the middle & lower class who I would imagine use them the most?

Why the hell should the average, non-millionaire, working class Joe have an extra dollar in their pocket for bright colors and whiter whites why these big companies just sit back and count all of the money rolling in?

Dude, I knocked $20 bucks off my bill with coupons not to long ago. Of course my bill was still way to high. :lol

carry on....

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Actually that is a bit more extreme, but I'm sure if a firm thought that would net them more from those who believe that then the firm would do it.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
No company should give to charity. No company should ever publicise any donations to charity or community service. Is that your message?

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Sparky, you're not the brightest Spark in the bunch.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Coming from you I'll just laugh.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Coming from you I'll just laugh.

Well then take it from everyone else who has disagreed with you today. You've been on a roll.

Seriously, your whole point of contention in this thread is what? That it's not a good thing that a corporation made this commercial because they only did it for profit?

Well, if you take a moment to step back from what your saying and really think about WHY they would gain profit by doing these things maybe you would realize how idiotic your stance is.

They stand to profit because people think what they are doing has nobility. YOU may not think so, but well, that's nothing more than an preferance.

But feel free to argue your preferance all day and all night, you can't really make yourself look any dumber than you already have.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
No company should give to charity. No company should ever publicise any donations to charity or community service. Is that your message?

It's the fact that people are so gullible to believe that a company is doing something out of its collective kindness and not in furtherance of its primary goal that leads firms to do such things.

Some of you would probably be surprised that a company would ever prefer to sell a product with a defective part which could lead to injury and death in the normal course of use of that product and deal with it through litigation instead of recalling the product and replacing the part because the litigation route was cheaper.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Well then take it from everyone else who has disagreed with you today. You've been on a roll.

Seriously, your whole point of contention in this thread is what? That it's not a good thing that a corporation made this commercial because they only did it for profit?

Well, if you take a moment to step back from what your saying and really think about WHY they would gain profit by doing these things maybe you would realize how idiotic your stance is.

They stand to profit because people think what they are doing has nobility. YOU may not think so, but well, that's nothing more than an preferance.

But feel free to argue your preferance all day and all night, you can't really make yourself look any dumber than you already have.

Now gee, would not a company think that people would realize that what they were doing was 'noble' to begin with?

Maybe the company opted to run the ad in order to profit off of that? Oh no, that's so radical...

Hurl the insults all you want young man, if you truly believe that this was nothing more than a slick PR effort then you are a gullible little boy.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 06:52 PM
It's the fact that people are so gullible to believe that a company is doing something out of its collective kindness and not in furtherance of its primary goal that leads firms to do such things.

Some of you would probably be surprised that a company would ever prefer to sell a product with a defective part which could lead to injury and death in the normal course of use of that product and deal with it through litigation instead of recalling the product and replacing the part because the litigation route was cheaper.

What?

NO FUCKING WAY!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

</sarcasm>

Thanks for the lesson on how captialism works.

Man, I argue that companies do things against that harm society on a whole all the damn time, but in this case there's no negative impact. So thanks for the letting all of the common folk know what AB's motivations were. You're so smart.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Now gee, would not a company think that people would realize that what they were doing was 'noble' to begin with?

Maybe the company opted to run the ad in order to profit off of that? Oh no, that's so radical...

Hurl the insults all you want young man, if you truly believe that this was nothing more than a slick PR effort then you are a gullible little boy.

What you can't get through your head, is that most people here know it was a PR campaign but that there is nothign wrong with that!!!! IT HAS A FAVORABLE RESULT SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 06:54 PM
What?

NO FUCKING WAY!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

</sarcasm>

Thanks for the lesson on how captialism works.

Man, I argue that companies do things against that harm society on a whole all the damn time, but in this case there's no negative impact. So thanks for the letting all of the common folk know what AB's motivations were. You're so smart.

LOL!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:55 PM
So you can tell us what motivates firms but I cannot? Lovely how that works.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 06:56 PM
What you can't get through your head, is that most people here know it was a PR campaign but that there is nothign wrong with that!!!! IT HAS A FAVORABLE RESULT SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Just pointing out the true motivation for the effort, something you claim to do often. But of course we must listen to you, because you are a...well, whatever your ego seems to believe you are.

Clandestino
02-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Sparky, please say what you want? I have no idea wtf you're even arguing anymore....

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually, my rants have to do with situations where society is effected negativly. I tend to like companies that do things that work out with a benefit.

But by all means, continue to tell everyone how captialism works.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Oh so your astute analysis doesn't apply in this situation, only in others, because in this one the company truly cares about American servicemen and women, not ultimately about improving its image among consumers.

Yeah.

Apparently your great understanding about how capitalism works needs a refresher.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Sure, it applies here as much as anywhere else. What you fail to understand is there is no negative impact in this situation, so why should the motivations or the fact that AB gains publicity bother me?

The motivations of a corporation do not concern me, the impacts its actions have on society do. I don't care of AB wants to try to land a six pack on the moon, as long as they don't harm society.

However, if you can show how this situation harms society, I'll stand tall on my soapbox and admit I was wrong.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm all for the free pass to theme park for military members and their families (for family members up to 4), but, I agree with M that the underlying motivations are pretty appalling.

Then again, what's more American than keeping the little guy in his place with cheap beer and freebies (and religion too, but I don't really want to open that can of worms in this thread).

Edited for clarity.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Did I say there was a "negative impact"?

No. All I did was point out what was going on and people hated to hear it.

I have no problem if some military families get to enjoy a free trip to a park. But to act as though the company is motivated by something other than the bottom line is naive.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Did I say there was a "negative impact"?

No. All I did was point out what was going on and people hated to hear it.

I have no problem if some military families get to enjoy a free trip to a park. But to act as though the company is motivated by something other than the bottom line is naive.

And if you can find someone in this thread who said something to the effect that the reason AB did it was because each shareholder would get warm fuzzies, then you win a cookie.

IcemanCometh
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
seawolrd is for douchebags anyways

fucking whales

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
And if you can find one, two, three or more persons in this thread who argued that AB didn't do it because of the ultimate benefit to shareholders, then you might actually understand why AB did it in the first place. Fuck, this is so clear even you should be able to figure it out.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
And if you can find one, two, three or more persons in this thread who argued that AB didn't do it because of the ultimate benefit to shareholders, then you might actually understand why AB did it in the first place. Fuck, this is so clear even you should be able to figure it out.

nobody argued that Sparkmiester, which is why everyone is still left wondering why you felt to make a point out of it.

Next on Sparky's agenda -

convincing Spurstalk.com that the sky really is blue!

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Apparently "everyone" didn't get the memo. Perhaps you should go back and review this thread.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:26 PM
But, because I'm killing time....

here is the recap.

Sparks first 2 posts:

I think it's awesome that they are playing off of people's patriotism to make a few extra bucks.

Sure they spend a little to provide the free admission and what not but they'll make that back and then some from all of the good redblooded Americans who will now dutifully buy a 24 pack of Bud instead of Miller...

Sure, nevermind that nobody have contested this beforehand, Spark brought it up. Fair enough, as he said he was merely pointing out the motivations, nothing wrong with that.

The responses:

If AB makes more money off of it, good for them....had it applied to me, unless I ended up purchasing stock or something, I really wouldn't care. It's still saving me a lot of money because me & my kids like to go to places like that and because it's so expensive can't always afford to do so.

It's a lot easier to come up with an extra $50 for drinks and whatever if you don't have to pay the $100 to get in, too.

Notice, people REALIZE what the motivations of AB are, but have no problem with them.

Sparks next post:

So stop acting like the company has done some sort of great service.

Because of course, realization equals "acting like the company has done some sort of great service"

I think Sparky has been sparkin' it up, and I wish he/she would share.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Review what, Bitch?

Have a nice day!

:)

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh nice, a few selective quotes. Well apparently here are a few who didn't get it...

And that's just off page 1. Go ahead and run away like the little blowhard bitch you are.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Great, but notice those posts came after you were anal torwards people who obviously got it.

I'm done, I think the thread speaks for itself at this point.

T Park
02-08-2005, 07:34 PM
agree with M that the underlying motivations are pretty appalling.

Yeah its horrible that a company wants to make money.

How absolutely disgusting.

I guess they shoudl give this away, DONT ADVERTISE IT, because, then no one would know it

so you and Sparky can rip them up for not letting servicemen and women know about it.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Actually, one last thing.

If you want to get technical, you are doing nothing more than assuming what the motivation for ABs actions are. You can make an educated guess, but it's a guess none the less. You weren't involved in the decision making process, and it wouldn't be out of the world to imagine a scenario were AB's decision was motivated in part by employees with prior military service and their feelings torward said service.

It's not likely, but it's possible.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah, apparently some people couldn't believe that a firm would do such a thing. Hence this thread. Yeah, this thread speaks for itself, so long as your ego isn't who's listening.

Since you have reviewed the thread so thoroughly you should have noticed I was not the only one who argued this point.

MannyIsGod
Fuck, Tpark on my side is like the kiss of death.

SPARKY

I guess they shoudl give this away, DONT ADVERTISE IT, because, then no one would know it

so you and Sparky can rip them up for not letting servicemen and women know about it.

They could let servicemen and women know about it without running it during the friggin' Super Bowl.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Fuck, Tpark on my side is like the kiss of death.

We tried to warn you.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
They could let servicemen and women know about it without running it during the friggin' Super Bowl.

They DIDN'T advertise the free admission program during the Super Bowl. All they did was say "thank you."

The link AHF posted about the program was from a website....who knows how many people have even been to that site. Other than that I have no idea if that was broadcasted through any other media...I haven't seen anything.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 08:20 PM
They DIDN'T advertise the free admission program during the Super Bowl. All they did was say "thank you."

To the best of my knowledge, you are correct. Perhaps unrelated, AB paid an advertising premium to the NFL which locked out other beer vendors. I think they had VERY specific designs (intelligent design?) mapped out well in advance - and it's not cynical for me to say this. AB is 100% committed to their shareholders, and shareholders, by definition, are quite narrow-minded.

The link AHF posted about the program was from a website....who knows how many people have even been to that site.

Where has that program been advertised other than a website? I know I don't watch much TV, but I haven't seen any public showing of it.

No, but in a week or two my Grandad (whom I love very much) will forward me an email (with a bogeyman twist no doubt) detailing AB's grand gesture.

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
AB paid an advertising premium to the NFL which locked out other beer vendors.

I actually was wondering about that ... I didn't remember seeing anything from Miller or any of the others. That explains why not, I guess.

That's kinda crappy.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 08:31 PM
I actually was wondering about that ... I didn't remember seeing anything from Miller or any of the others. That explains why not, I guess.

That's kinda crappy.

When did that ad air? I missed a lot of the first half, so I'm guessing that AB played their "Thanks" ad in the third-quarter to a lot of estrogen-charged men.

It's just business ... I guess.

IcemanCometh
02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
you people are forgetting the main issue here

only faggots go to seaworld
and only queers drink bud

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Man this thread is funny. I don't know where you are coming from Sparky. No one said AB was a super wonderful company trying to spread joy, love, and rainbows all over. Just that their offer seemed like a nice gesture at best. They're not handing out crack cocaine to babies or making seals smoke cigarettes for live shows. They are giving away free stuff that has no negatives for the people that will recieve them. Now you can ask NBADan to find out if they're secretly harvesting organs from visitors to keep Dick Chaney alive, but until you drop that bomb, you have no real point to your ranting.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM

I missed this little gem.

What's up T-ShortBusNum9?!

The issue is that the death of 1000-plus soldiers underlie the clever A-B marketing campaign.

I'm all for making a dollar off of your stupidity, but I draw a line at profiteering off the backs of folks who willingly put their lives on the line because blowhards like you hide when given the choice to make a difference.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Man this thread is funny. I don't know where you are coming from Sparky. No one said AB was a super wonderful company trying to spread joy, love, and rainbows all over. Just that their offer seemed like a nice gesture at best. They're not handing out crack cocaine to babies or making seals smoke cigarettes for live shows. They are giving away free stuff that has no negatives for the people that will recieve them. Now you can ask NBADan to find out if they're secretly harvesting organs from visitors to keep Dick Chaney alive, but until you drop that bomb, you have no real point to your ranting.

So I have "no real point" when I point out that their ad was primarily motivated by a desire to boost beer sales?

Yeah I guess I'm off. Who would ever believe that a company would play on the feelings of consumers to make a quick buck. Unheard of.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
So I have "no real point" when I point out that their ad was primarily motivated by a desire to boost beer sales.

Yeah I guess I'm off. Who would ever believe that a company would play on the feelings of consumers to make a quick buck. Unheard of.

Uh.....

Water is wet.

Rocks are hard.

Grass is green.

You have argued a point repeatedly in this thread that HAS NO COUNTER POINT!

Do you understand what everyone here has been saying to you?

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Yes, which is why I have spent the time in this thread. I see I'm not alone in my assessment of the advertisement.

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
You are freakin hopeless.

SequSpur
02-08-2005, 10:23 PM
A beer commercial to sell beer? Is that the sum of all its parts? I don't get it .

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 10:25 PM
I felt that way about you on page 1. The firm is clearly trying to exploit the consumer feelings of patriotism by running that ad and furthermore by throwing a few bones at some military families. I haven't even gone as far as GoN and claimed that they are outright exploiting the military dead and wounded, though I can definitely see where he is coming from.

Saying that 'well some good came out of it so you can't be critical of it' is a pretty piss poor standard.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 10:27 PM
A beer commercial to sell beer? Is that the sum of all its parts? I don't get it .

The Guru of Beer has spoke.

Shelly
02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Off Topic--GON did you ever make those potato chip cookies? Did they go good with beer? :lol

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Ok, Sparky you win the argument against yourself.

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Sorry, I've had one position and apparently it is unfathomable to you that one might find the exploitation of the service of military personnel for commercial gain to be disturbing. Too bad.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Off Topic--GON did you ever make those potato chip cookies? Did they go good with beer? :lol

Not yet. DON'T HATE!

I've got the kiddos this weekend.

Post in advance: they go good with beer.

Shelly
02-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Not yet. DON'T HATE!

I've got the kiddos this weekend.

Post in advance: they go good with beer.

:lol I'll take your word for it! But spice things up. Use jalapeno chips or salt and vinegar!

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 10:46 PM
:lol I'll take your word for it! But spice things up. Use jalapeno chips or salt and vinegar!

Topping my list is a marinara sauce experiment with mushrooms, but I expect to bake a few cookies too.

Jekka
02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey everyone? How's it going?

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Saying that 'well some good came out of it so you can't be critical of it' is a pretty piss poor standard.

You're right!

Because saying "Sparky feels this is bad" is a much better standard.

I don't see how holding the actions of a company to scrutiny, finding no negative results from their action, and letting them be is bad.

Your argument is that they are exploating the military. But who does it hurt? For me, key libertarian thinking goes along the lines of "as long as it doesn't harm or violate anyone elses rights, then it's fine".

However, it seems as though you would have a problem with GI Joe, they totally exploited the military for financial gain. Or those companies that make the little green soldiers!!! And after them, you can go after toy gun companies. Oh, but we're not out of targets yet! Model Airplanes are a total explotation of the Air Force, we should defiently go after them!

But, really, where we need to take this fight to, is Hollywood! Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Top Gun, and Pearl Harbor all have something very wrong with them.

It has just been revealed to me, that those were made for....FINANCIAL GAIN!

I will fight to the death with Sparky at my side!

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 01:46 PM
When you find a point, please post it. Thanks.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Ok, since you are incapble of reading above a 5th grade level.

Jane and Jack watch a commercial about soliders and beer.

Nothing bad happens.

Jane and Jack are not mad.

Simple enough?

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
It's cute when both your ego and your mouth conspire to make you so desperate. Go protest poverty or whatever.

JohnnyMarzetti
02-09-2005, 01:56 PM
It was a commercial and nothing more.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 01:56 PM
awwwwwww, someone give Sparky a hug.

bigzak25
02-09-2005, 02:01 PM
and only queers drink bud

that was uncalled for iceman.....now finish your coors light and bend over....

CommanderMcBragg
02-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Bud is as red, white and blue as the USA and I'll drink to that.