PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan's sprain adds to worries

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Duncan's sprain adds to worries
Web Posted: 02/08/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020805.1D.spurs.874cd4a5.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — As Karl Malone worked out in California on Monday while debating whether to join the Spurs, his suitors may now have a more pressing question for him:

Any chance you're available tonight?

After Tim Duncan sprained his right ankle Monday in practice, the Spurs might have an unexpected opening for a future Hall of Fame power forward.

Duncan is doubtful to play tonight against the Charlotte Bobcats, coach Gregg Popovich said. His status already was in question after he hyperextended his left knee in Thursday's victory over the Los Angeles Lakers. He also has recently been bothered by a sore hip.

"His knee is getting a little bit better every day," Popovich said. "It's hurting a little bit, a little swollen. But the ankle is more of a problem now."

Duncan was hurt when he stepped on the foot of forward Sean Marks. The injury is not a high sprain, which typically is more severe, and he walked off the court on his own.

"I told him, 'You're just not meant to play in North Carolina,'" teammate Bruce Bowen said of Duncan, who starred at Wake Forest in nearby Winston-Salem.

While Duncan might miss his homecoming, the Spurs could regain center Rasho Nesterovic, who has spent the previous six games on the injured list with a sprained left ankle. Nesterovic practiced the past two days and likely will be activated if he doesn't have any significant problems during the team's workout this morning.

Robert Horry also is expected to play, though his sore right knee could use some rest, Popovich said.

"We've been pretty lucky healthwise for most of the year," Popovich said. "Now, it's our turn."

The Bobcats don't have any sympathy. Rookie forward Emeka Okafor, who leads Charlotte in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots, will spend at least two more games on the injured list because of a sprained left ankle. Backup center Jahidi White and 6-foot-11 forward Jamal Sampson also aren't expected to play.

The Spurs are fortunate enough to have a little more depth and experience at their big positions than their expansion opponents. Benched the previous two games, Malik Rose had 19 points and 11 rebounds, both season highs, against the Lakers. Tony Massenburg has started four games during Nesterovic's absence and Marks has received his first minutes in two seasons.

"Anytime Tim sneezes, everybody's heart stops," Massenburg said. "We don't want to see him down on the floor rolling around, but, at the same time, we know that's the nature of the game."

The Spurs have yet to play without Duncan this season, but Popovich already was concerned Duncan's knee injury could keep him from playing in the second game of the back-to-back, Wednesday in Washington.

"I think Tim is trying to get out of going to Denver (for the Feb. 20 All-Star Game)," Bowen said, laughing. "He talked about how he never has time to go places and get a tan. I think it's a ploy. First the knee, now the ankle. What's next?"

The Spurs hope nothing else. Each summer Duncan has played for the U.S. national team, he has battled injuries the ensuing season. Last week, he said he could use the extra rest the All-Star break would give him.

Duncan's fatigue and the recent injuries to Nesterovic and Horry gave the Spurs further incentive to arrange Saturday's meeting with Malone. Though Malone told the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise he plans make a decision by the end of the week, he hasn't given the Spurs a timetable.

Malone told Popovich and Duncan he doesn't want to upset the chemistry of a team that already has played well enough to have the NBA's best record. They told him not to worry.

To sign Malone, the Spurs would have to first trade or waive another player.

"If he comes here or doesn't come here, it's not anything I have to deal with because it's not anything I can control," Massenburg said. "Obviously, it would affect somebody like me because of my style of play. I think we're sort of similar in that way. But I can't worry about that."

If Malone is healthy enough to contribute — and he likely won't agree to play unless he is — Rose, like Massenburg, could have his minutes further reduced. Provided he isn't traded.

"If they bring (Malone) here, I might not necessarily agree with it, but I'm not going to hurt the team or be a cancer," Rose said. "I'm just hoping I can show Pop and the team they can still count on me.

"I believe everything happens for a reason, and I'm still here for reasons like (tonight)."