PDA

View Full Version : Getting work in the USA for a sporting organisation

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-21-2008, 11:53 AM
As some of you know, i'm in Africa now but my wife and I are heading home next year. We are thinking about moving to the USA. My wife is a nurse/midwife and can get work pretty easy in the USA and can get greencards for us both at the same time.

If we move there, then i want to work for a sporting organisation in the NBA or NFL. I have a business degree with majors in Marketing and Ecommerce.

I thought id just post here and find out if any ST posters work in a sporting organisation in the USA. I'm curious as to what it is like and how easy/difficult it is to get work for a sporting organisation.

I love sports and so i figure getting a job in any area that im passionate about would be the best thing :toast

If anyone can give some input or advice then it would be very much appreciated :toast

oh, i realise i would have to start using US spelling (eg organiZation instead of organiSation :lol)

Buddy Holly
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, where are you moving to?

ashbeeigh
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I saw this in the paper today:

Spurs Sports & Entertainment will host its first career fair on Sept. 13 at AT&T Center from 3-6 p.m.

A number of organizations will be represented, including the San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.

SS&E officials say professionals from several Texas sports franchises and the WNBA will gather in San Antonio and provide a unique opportunity for individuals looking to break into the sports industry.

The job fair will feature opportunities and information in various sports fields, including advertising, broadcasting, business, communications, finance/accounting, hospitality, journalism, management, marketing, public relations and sales.

The list of organizations expected to participate includes the Spurs, Rockets, San Antonio Rampage (AHL), San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA), Austin Toros (NBA developmental league), Houston Comets (WNBA), Houston Aeros (AHL), Laredo Bucks (CHL) and the San Antonio Missions (Texas League).

The WNBA league office, Argus (ushering and security), Levy Restaurants and Aramark are also slated to participate.

SS&E officials say pre-registration is $15 through Sept. 12 and $20 on the day of the event.

For more information log on to active.com, keyword career fair.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/08/18/daily20.html?surround=lfn

I'm sure there will be some throughout the country as basketball season starts. Through a bit of searching you may be able to find an e-mail address explaining your situation

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, where are you moving to?

not 100% sure yet.

It's down to 3 states - Colorado, Florida & Texas

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
thanks ashbeeigh. That is a HUGE help :toast

I'll do some searching and hopefully i can get some contact details

duncan228
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Here's the piece from Spurs.com NuGGeTs FaN. I hope you can find a way to apply on-line if you can't attend in person.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sse_careerfair_080913.html

Have you always wanted to break into the sports industry but didn’t know where to begin? Well, here’s your opportunity! Spurs Sports & Entertainment has teamed up with other leaders in the sports industry to provide job seekers with a unique networking and informational day of fun. If you're interested in working in a truly unique and exciting field, we look forward to seeing you on Saturday, September 13. Remember to bring multiple copies of your resume.

Fees:

$15.00 Career Fair Registration Fee; $20 Day of Event
*Includes sports career fair entry and a free ticket to the Silver Stars vs. Sacramento (WNBA) game at 7:00 PM

Early Registration Benefits:

The first 300 to register by September 1, 2008 will receive a complimentary San Antonio Spurs gift

Meet with Personnel From:

San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA)
San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
San Antonio Missions (MiBL)
Houston Rockets (NBA)
Houston Comets (WNBA)
Houston Aeros (AHL)
Laredo Bucks (CHL)
Austin Toros (NBDL)
WNBA National Office
Argus (Ushers & Security)
Levy Restaurants
Aramark (Facility Services, Concessions & Retail)
*Teams/Companies Subject to Change

Interested In Careers In:

Advertising, Broadcasting, Business, Communications, Finance/Accounting, Hospitality, Journalism, Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Sales, Customer Service and more

Event Schedule:

3:00PM – Doors open/check-in (SE VIP Entrance)
5:30PM – Reception & Speaker in the Terrace Restaurant
6:00PM – Event ends
7:00PM – Silver Stars vs. Sacramento (WNBA) game (we will provide you with your free ticket at check-in)
Free Parking:

Print & bring your confirmation page or your confirmation email to receive FREE PARKING upon arrival. Enter through gate C from Houston Street (Lot 3).

ashbeeigh
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks ashbeeigh. That is a HUGE help :toast

I'll do some searching and hopefully i can get some contact details

:tu no problem.

Kori Ellis
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
List of all jobs open with NBA teams:

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobsall.cfm

Clandestino
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Here's the piece from Spurs.com NuGGeTs FaN. I hope you can find a way to apply on-line if you can't attend in person.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/sse_careerfair_080913.html

Have you always wanted to break into the sports industry but didn’t know where to begin? Well, here’s your opportunity! Spurs Sports & Entertainment has teamed up with other leaders in the sports industry to provide job seekers with a unique networking and informational day of fun. If you're interested in working in a truly unique and exciting field, we look forward to seeing you on Saturday, September 13. Remember to bring multiple copies of your resume.

Fees:

$15.00 Career Fair Registration Fee; $20 Day of Event
*Includes sports career fair entry and a free ticket to the Silver Stars vs. Sacramento (WNBA) game at 7:00 PM

Early Registration Benefits:

The first 300 to register by September 1, 2008 will receive a complimentary San Antonio Spurs gift

Meet with Personnel From:

San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA)
San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
San Antonio Missions (MiBL)
Houston Rockets (NBA)
Houston Comets (WNBA)
Houston Aeros (AHL)
Laredo Bucks (CHL)
Austin Toros (NBDL)
WNBA National Office
Argus (Ushers & Security)
Levy Restaurants
Aramark (Facility Services, Concessions & Retail)
*Teams/Companies Subject to Change

Interested In Careers In:

Advertising, Broadcasting, Business, Communications, Finance/Accounting, Hospitality, Journalism, Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Sales, Customer Service and more

Event Schedule:

3:00PM – Doors open/check-in (SE VIP Entrance)
5:30PM – Reception & Speaker in the Terrace Restaurant
6:00PM – Event ends
7:00PM – Silver Stars vs. Sacramento (WNBA) game (we will provide you with your free ticket at check-in)
Free Parking:

Print & bring your confirmation page or your confirmation email to receive FREE PARKING upon arrival. Enter through gate C from Houston Street (Lot 3).

Sneaky way to get people to attend a WNBA game! haha

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
thanks for your input everyone :toast

I appreciate any help people can give :toast It has been a life long dream to work for an NBA team.

Brutalis
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Don't move to Florida. Hurricanes and horrible crime rates. Plus you have to deal with the cuba.

Texas is alright, south Texas. Been a few times and north texas is fucking gaytarded. South Texas was cool.

Dunno about Colorado.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Brutalis :toast

I've been to CO a few times and loved it. I think at the moment that is our top choice but it depends on availability of the kind of work i want.

PakiDan
08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey NuggetsFan, wanted to give you a little info... I used to work for the Spurs so I know a few things about working for an NBA franchise. I was an Account Executive. Working for an NBA franchise sounds glamorous and IS if you are young and single. The fringe benefits are EXCELLENT, being at the games, going on the road, meeting the players... the pay SUCKS!!! You have to scrape to get by, there are employees who do make bank, but they are fixtures in the organization, have been there for years and years and will probably only retire when they die. Everyone else starves... If you are married and have obligations, forget it, unless you are a player or coach. Look at the staff at an NBA event. The median age is 23. There is a reason for this... because at that age the glamour of your surroundings outweighs your inability to pay your rent and buy food. Unless you have an advanced degree in Sports management/marketing/medicine, I would consider another carrer path. But then again, this is purely my opinion!

P.s. - I was married when I worked for the Spurs, I am now divorced, and I can honestly say, the meager pay had a LOT to do with it.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
whoa thanks for the input. I am sorry that you ended up divorcing your wife. I know it happens alot due to financial issues.

I'm glad you posted what you did coz it certainly is alot different now from when i was single. I'm married and are planning to start a family next year, and of course providing and caring for my family comes before anything else.

Thanks again for your input :toast