SpursTalk's Top 50 Spurs
1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. George Gervin
4. Gregg Popovich
5. Angelo Drossos
6. Manu Ginobili

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number seven. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Saturday morning. Please vote only once.

remingtonbo2001
08-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Look at that, Sean Elliott with the early lead.

The #7 spot should be Tony's for the taking.

T Park
08-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Gotta go with SeanO.

He should've been 6th.

Kori Ellis
08-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I'd put Sean after Silas and Bruce, I think.

I'm voting for Tony here and Bruce next.

timvp
08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
I've already made my case for Parker. I could see Elliott beating him though because Parker's popularity among a lot of Spurs fans is somewhere between Santa Anna and three day old breakfast tacos. Why? Don't know.

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2008, 02:47 AM
I've already made my case for Parker. I could see Elliott beating him though because Parker's popularity among a lot of Spurs fans is somewhere between Santa Anna and three day old breakfast tacos. Why? Don't know.

Why you gotta be putting in three day old breakfast tacos with the likes of Santa Anna and Parker?

angelbelow
08-22-2008, 02:52 AM
forgive me, but who is Angelo Drossos?

J.T.
08-22-2008, 02:53 AM
I'll stop trolling these threads and finally vote legitimately. This one goes to Parker.

Brutalis
08-22-2008, 02:58 AM

Same.

samikeyp
08-22-2008, 05:05 AM
forgive me, but who is Angelo Drossos?

The original majority owner of the Spurs and the man responsible for bringing the Spurs to town, and signing George Gervin and David Robinson.

Drom John
08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Silas last time, slides to here. I don't get to vote for Ginobli, my #7. Looks like I get to keep voting for Silas for awhile.

carina_gino20
08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Got to be Tony.

rascal
08-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Don't sleep on Kenon. He is next after Parker. Kenon had a great all star 5 year run with the spurs. I could even say it has been better than Manu's last 5 years.

Unfortunately for some reason Kenon always gets lost in the discussion. Like Timvp says, he is the most under appreciated and under rated spur.

Silas he was great but for too short a time because of the serious injury.

MajorMike
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Because he's better than Manu and all the 'I love my homeboy hispanics' have a hardon for Manu and are swole about it.

manufor3
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
silas for reasons in another one of the threads

FromWayDowntown
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Don't sleep on Kenon. He is next after Parker. Kenon had a great all star 5 year run with the spurs. I could even say it has been better than Manu's last 5 years.

Unfortunately for some reason Kenon always gets lost in the discussion. Like Timvp says, he is the most under appreciated and under rated spur.

Silas he was great but for too short a time because of the serious injury.

Given the liberality with which the Spurs retire numbers, I've never understood how Larry Kenon gets left out of that discussion, either.

A guy who averaged 21.2 ppg and 10.1 rpg while shooting 49% from the floor and averaging almost 2 steals per game over a 4 year stretch of NBA play while making 2 NBA all-star teams should be the sort of guy who is revered in a franchise like this one.

Since I thought #6 was Parker, I'm going with him again at #7. Going to have to think hard about #8-11.

angel_luv
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM

I agree :tu

Bruce is a top ten Spur in my opinion.

I would like to see Malik Rose in the top ten or fifteen since he was such a fan favorite.
The only person who will likely make the top twenty list that I would not even consider voting for is Avery.

xtremesteven33
08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Parker>Manu just for the simple fact that Manu just creates so much excitement when he plays. wreckless abandonment 24/7 with Gino.

i think Pop has parker on a thight leash while Manu is a freelancer.

parkers game is based on layups and mid range shots. not very exciting to the normal NBA fan. he doesnt create assists that get replays or doesnt show alot of swager but he gets the job done.

thats why Manu is always the fan favorite

remingtonbo2001
08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree :tu

Bruce is a top ten Spur in my opinion.

I would like to see Malik Rose in the top ten or fifteen since he was such a fan favorite.
The only person who will likely make the top twenty list that I would not even consider voting for is Avery.

Voting for Bruce over Sean is ridiculous. Let alone hitting the greatest shot in Spurs history, his commentary and homerism is absolutely hilarious.

dallaskd
08-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I hope Malik makes the top 15. Even as a Spur-hater he's one of my favorites of all time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
As I did in the #6 poll, I voted Elliott for the same reasons as yesterday (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2725725&postcount=57).

century
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure who Billy Putz is but as long as he is not Parker. I don't like Parker because he is french and not mentally strong. He can't stand up to tough opponents. You can never trust the french. So Mr. Putz it is.

Spurs Brazil
08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Voted for TP yesterday and voting for him today

Spooky
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Tony Parker. Sean Elliott next.

baseline bum
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Silas, but I reserve the right to change my vote for #8 if that vote is close.

IronMexican
08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Oberto

timvp
08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Given the liberality with which the Spurs retire numbers, I've never understood how Larry Kenon gets left out of that discussion, either.

A guy who averaged 21.2 ppg and 10.1 rpg while shooting 49% from the floor and averaging almost 2 steals per game over a 4 year stretch of NBA play while making 2 NBA all-star teams should be the sort of guy who is revered in a franchise like this one. Add to that one year in the ABA where he also made an All-Star team with the Spurs and it's just plain weird he isn't remembered more fondly.

Regarding #8, I have no idea as of yet which way I'm going. I've narrowed it down to Kenon, Silas, Elliott, Bowen and AJ. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

baseline bum
08-23-2008, 01:20 AM
Add to that one year in the ABA where he also made an All-Star team with the Spurs and it's just plain weird he isn't remembered more fondly.

Regarding #8, I have no idea as of yet which way I'm going. I've narrowed it down to Kenon, Silas, Elliott, Bowen and AJ. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Didn't Kenon and the Spurs part on bad terms? I remember reading years ago that Special K and the Spurs weren't too close.

Spurtacus
08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Tony Parker! :)