PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Sign Darius Miles

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54111/20080822/celtics_sign_darius_miles/

Fabbs
08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Some guys get all the breaks*.

Hey isn't that a song?

*Altho sincere props to him if he has been in pot rehab and now has the right phys and mental condition to resume playing NBA hoop.

MavDynasty
08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
thx celtics for fucking up portlands cap situation

hey tlong,tell me how there ass taste

xtremesteven33
08-22-2008, 01:11 PM
good pick up for the C's

manufor3
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
nice, good now tlong's team is SCREWED

IronMexican
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
shazzam blazers!

tlongII
08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
:lol We're hardly "screwed". They brought Darius in for training camp. Big deal. If he makes the team, good for him. I doubt it though.

KobeOwnsBowen
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Celtics are looking for a weed dealer? lol

21_Blessings
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
What a great replacement for Posey.

JamStone
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Jonathan Bender wasn't available?

TheMadHatter
08-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I remember seeing a picture of this guy a year or two ago. He was incredibly fat and out of shape. He must have got gastric bypass or stopped eating for a year if he's in game shape now.

DaDakota
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
:lol We're hardly "screwed". They brought Darius in for training camp. Big deal. If he makes the team, good for him. I doubt it though.

If he plays 10 games in any season over the next 2 years, Portland's salary cap is screwed.

DD

exstatic
08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
If he plays 10 games in any season over the next 2 years, Portland's salary cap is screwed.

DD

Yeah, they take like a $9-10M hit.

JamStone
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Portland's cap is not that screwed even if they have to pay Miles. They have close to $30 million coming off the books after next season. This upcoming season, they'll be over the luxury tax, but they positioned themselves so they can pay most of their young players over the next couple seasons. It's not like Webster or Frye (who they might not even re-sign) are going to demand really big contracts anyway.

timtonymanu
08-22-2008, 10:04 PM
i didnt actually think the celtics would take darius miles.

kupogrey
08-22-2008, 10:51 PM
karma is a bitch for leaking info about the suspension

tlongII
08-23-2008, 12:34 AM

DD

It is true that in that case his contract would count against our salary cap. Big deal. We don't need a free agent. We already have more talent than any team in the league.

kupogrey
08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
It is true that in that case his contract would count against our salary cap. Big deal. We don't need a free agent. We already have more talent than any team in the league.

That comment is homerific

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Celtics sign Darius Miles... :lmao

NBA Junkie
08-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Too bad he can't do enough to make this team implode next season. :depressed

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Miles is DONE. Total headcase and cancer. I doubt he makes the Celtics' roster.

tlongII
08-23-2008, 12:43 PM

And true.

baseline bum
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Should have signed Bison Dele instead.

angelbelow
08-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Portlands cap is already screwed. They are already over 80 mil, plus they have to resign Webster, Blake, and Frye next year. All three of those guys will want more dough, then the following year they have to resign Roy and Aldrige, and both of those guys will get max offers, and then the following year they have to resign Oden to a max offer. Oh, and I forgot Outlaw who will get a nice contract also.

Welcome to the big leagues Blazers:lol If they can keep the core of Aldridge, Roy, Oden and Outlaw together they should be a constant playoff team, but those other guys will be chipped off by the Euro and other teams looking to add pieces. If the Celtics sign Miles it is strictly to screw the Blazers cap even more, especially seeing that Roy's contract expires the same year that Ray Allen's does. Hmmm...

yea but i dont think their owner will care.

AFBlue
08-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Wow and I thought the Spurs signing Roger Mason Jr. was bad....

:lol

Ronaldo McDonald
08-24-2008, 01:18 AM

quit being a homerphobe.

manufor3
08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
We already have more talent than any team in the league.

wow, just wow

bostonguy
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Eh id be shocked if Miles actually makes it past camp. Even if he does, I dont see him staying healthy or being effective enough to stay on the team. Either way the Celts are set to defend their title. While losing Posey hurt, it will be up to our rookies Giddens/Walker to play their roles wells. If they can do that and stay determined/focused, this team will have a great shot at repeating.

Tully365
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I wonder if Ainge is doing this to play hardball with the Trailblazers? I can see a situation now where he calls up Portland and offers up some kind of a trade that has Boston not keeping Miles as one of the stipulations... Portland is loaded with young talent, and maybe Ainge thinks he can pry someone loose with a draft pick + an agreement to save them the millions of dollars it would cost them if he played ten games.

It will be interesting to see how Portland handles their financial situation in the next three years. They have a high payroll this year, but the real challenge will be in deciding who to keep as contracts expire, and who to let go. Portland will see that it isn't easy to keep half a dozen good young players who will all be demanding huge raises from their rookie scale salaries. The Spurs have experienced this sort of thing in the past with guys like Speedy Claxton, Stephen Jackson, Hedo, etc.-- guys that would have been nice to keep, but who were just too expensive. There's no way Portland can afford to pay Oden, Aldridge, and Roy max-type contracts while also giving raises to Outlaw and Webster, and eventually Bayless and Fernandez. It's a nice problem to be stuck with-- having almost too much talent-- but I think we'll see that in this day and age it's hard to convince guys to take less for the benefit of keeping the team together.

tlongII
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Ainge is still pissed that he got raped in the Telfair trade.

Allanon
08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I wonder if Ainge is doing this to play hardball with the Trailblazers? I can see a situation now where he calls up Portland and offers up some kind of a trade that has Boston not keeping Miles as one of the stipulations... Portland is loaded with young talent, and maybe Ainge thinks he can pry someone loose with a draft pick + an agreement to save them the millions of dollars it would cost them if he played ten games.

It will be interesting to see how Portland handles their financial situation in the next three years. They have a high payroll this year, but the real challenge will be in deciding who to keep as contracts expire, and who to let go. Portland will see that it isn't easy to keep half a dozen good young players who will all be demanding huge raises from their rookie scale salaries. The Spurs have experienced this sort of thing in the past with guys like Speedy Claxton, Stephen Jackson, Hedo, etc.-- guys that would have been nice to keep, but who were just too expensive. There's no way Portland can afford to pay Oden, Aldridge, and Roy max-type contracts while also giving raises to Outlaw and Webster, and eventually Bayless and Fernandez. It's a nice problem to be stuck with-- having almost too much talent-- but I think we'll see that in this day and age it's hard to convince guys to take less for the benefit of keeping the team together.

This isn't a bad take actually. If Miles gets his 2 minutes in 10 games in the season, those minutes are going to be extremely expensive for the Blazers.

Miles would go back onto Portland's books for 2 years x $9 million so I believe this is $18 million dollar blackmail. And if I'm not mistaken, they're already at the cap, so another $18 million would cost another $18 million in luxury tax for a total of $36 million Not sure about the luxury tax in this situation but that's killer if it's right.

Crafty ass move.

"You scratch my back (send me Outlaw/Rudy) and I'll make sure Miles stays on the Injured list.

Ainge has the Blazers bent over a barrel up to that 10th game.

DPG21920
08-26-2008, 09:05 PM
The Blazers are under the cap by about 4 million this year. So if Darius gets put back on he will cost them his 9 million dollar salary plus how much of his salary would be over the tax threshold which would be around 5 million. So he could end up costing the Blazers ~14 million this year. Next year the Blazers will be under the cap with their guarenteed salaries so it will be up to them to manage and sign players to stay out of tax trouble.