PDA

View Full Version : A discussion on injuries, my viewpoint.

Lakers_55
08-23-2008, 12:21 PM
There is certainly a lot of discussion in the Spurs section about Manu's injury. Most of it is speculation, the season hasn't even started yet. Well, we all know injuries are part of the game and in a perfect world, every player is 100% every game. Well, we all know that doesn't happen.

What hurts a team the most is if a player goes down late in the year, we all know the tragedy of that, no need to list any. However, Manu's injury is well before the season has started, and the extent of it is not fully known.

I believe early season injuries can help a team out. The main reason is, that if a key player goes down, someone has to get the extra minutes. This means their bench will be tested. If a player is put on the disabled list, a lot of scrubs may be signed to 10-day contracts and you never know what surprises you may find.

I'll give a couple of examples. Back in 1996, Shaq's first season in LA, he went out early in the season for a spell. What I liked about that Laker team was their youth, and the scrubs got lots of minutes. I also remember a game between Lakers and Spurs in Fall of 2003, in SA. TD and TP sat out hurt, but were on the bench. It was first game I really saw what Manu could do. Seems he got about 40 points and the game went to OT, possibly two, before LA prevailed. I simply could not believe how well he could drive to the basket at will.

My point is, even if Manu has to sit maybe a third or half the season, SA will still make the playoffs. Yeah, he could get hurt again, as could anyone. Since the concern for the Spurs fans seems to be depth, your bench will get tested. Isn't that what you need to see happen if you want a shot at another title?

Discuss.

tlongII
08-23-2008, 12:42 PM
If Ginobili misses 25 to 40 games San Antonio will not make the playoffs. Simple as that.

manufor3
08-23-2008, 06:58 PM
If Ginobili misses 25 to 40 games San Antonio will not make the playoffs. Simple as that.

once oden gets ANOTHER season ending injury the Blazers will not make the playoffs