PDA

View Full Version : Pop a candidate to coach USA for London games

bigdog
08-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Word is Coach K won't be back and that 2 of the possible candidates are Pop and coach D'Antoni

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/sports/olympics/23teambox.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

LakerLanny
08-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a feeling D'Antoni is going to get it.

Don't know why, but I just think so.

I would rather have Pop myself.

DMX7
08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Pop is getting up there in age, I don't know if he wants to do it.

spurs1990
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
If true, I'll root for that team next time. Any chance a Spur will be on the roster....maybe Tony gets his citizenship.

j.r. haider
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
what if pop gets injured during the olympics?

i think he should show his commitment to the spurs by not going.

T Park
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Itll be D'Antoni

whottt
08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm not so sure it'll be D'antoni...D'antoni kind of left Colanegelo's beloved Suns in the lurch or at least they had a parting of the minds.

At the same time...I'm not so sure Pop is the best guy to coach the Olympic Team...it tends to take a while for his philosophy to take root in players minds...and time is a luxury to the Olympic Head coach. I think a retired coach or a quick fix artist would be better choices...

SenorSpur
08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
With the way D'Antoni (DanTony) preaches defense, I'm sure that will factor into Colangelo's decision.:lol

Gino
08-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I have a feeling D'Antoni is going to get it.

Don't know why, but I just think so.

I would rather have Pop myself.

Same here. Especially if Colangelo is still running the show.

Gino
08-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not so sure it'll be D'antoni...D'antoni kind of left Colanegelo's beloved Suns in the lurch or at least they had a parting of the minds.

At the same time...I'm not so sure Pop is the best guy to coach the Olympic Team...it tends to take a while for his philosophy to take root in players minds...and time is a luxury to the Olympic Head coach. I think a retired coach or a quick fix artist would be better choices...

Colangelo isn't really associated with the Suns anymore. And D'Antoni was basically fired by Steve Kerr who took the GM job after Colangelo's son and Robert Sarver had a falling out.

ploto
08-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I wonder if the posssible success of this team will encourage them to go with non-NBA coaches in the future. Pop was an assistant on the teams that failed.

whottt
08-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Colangelo isn't really associated with the Suns anymore. And D'Antoni was basically fired by Steve Kerr who took the GM job after Colangelo's son and Robert Sarver had a falling out.

Ahh ok...so D'antoni might have left out of some kind of loyalty to Colangelo even...so he actually could be the favorite.

To tell you the truth. I think D'antoni is a good choice for international ball. Better than Pop. He installs his system quickly and it is pretty dominant against any team without dominant bigs.

wisnub
08-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Pop should coach team USA...but it doesnt matter, whoever coach team USA..that team will won regardless of who coach them (provided all players which sign 3 years commitment still play). They play and train together before and skills wise they're on top of their game. Yes, they got defense with Tayshaun Prince in roster, many times they dont need him though. Kobe+LBJ+CP3+Mello,Howard+ sick bench + playing together for quite sometime (World games and Olympics) = u go figure

Brutalis
08-23-2008, 04:31 PM
D'Antoni easily wins this job.

The Franchise
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I would love to see Pop coaching team USA.

Dex
08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Pop should decline the job and cite his commitments to the Spurs organization as the justification. :stirpot:

exstatic
08-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Ahh ok...so D'antoni might have left out of some kind of loyalty to Colangelo even...so he actually could be the favorite.

To tell you the truth. I think D'antoni is a good choice for international ball. Better than Pop. He installs his system quickly and it is pretty dominant against any team without dominant bigs.

Uh, USA is winning with choking pressure defense this year, something sadly missing from the last few teams and something that will no doubt be on the milk carton of any D'Antoni team. That being said, Team USA will probably pick him, and we stand an excellent chance of not only losing, but getting blown out as Three First Names tries to out-offense international teams instead of D-ing up.

ducks
08-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I wonder if the posssible success of this team will encourage them to go with non-NBA coaches in the future. Pop was an assistant on the teams that failed.

why do you follower the spurs

exstatic
08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
why do you follower the spurs

She ditched the Spurs after they traded the object of her obsession.

SenorSpur
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Maybe, but as we've seen from this current incarnation of the U.S. Olympic basketball, a team simply cannot get caught up into a run-n-gun style with those Euro teams. Sure you have to score points, but at some point, you have to get stops. A facet of the game D'Antoni clearly doesn't grasp and doesn't teach.

T Park
08-23-2008, 07:45 PM
She ditched the Spurs after they traded the object of her obsession.

So SHES the one I read about in the paper about Beno and Rasho taking out the restraining order on? :lol

ploto
08-23-2008, 08:39 PM
So SHES the one I read about in the paper about Beno and Rasho taking out the restraining order on?

You have absolutely no clue how far off you are. I'll make sure to point you out to Rasho when he is in SA in October.

spursfan09
08-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Let's say Pop does do London. I think Pop has alot of pride for his country and would do it. Does Tim Duncan decide that maybe it's time to get his gold medal? Or is he really done with international bball forever?

samikeyp
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Let's say Pop does do London. I think Pop has alot of pride for his country and would do it. Does Tim Duncan decide that maybe it's time to get his gold medal? Or is he really done with international bball forever?

I think he is done but if he would go back and play for anyone, it would probably be Pop.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 09:47 AM

I think that USA Basketball is probably going to ask for three year commitments again, and I think Tim will pass on that to spend time with his kids.

alamo50
08-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Team USA depends on speed to be succesful against the rest of the world so D'Antoni will be the obvious choice.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Team USA depends on speed to be succesful against the rest of the world so D'Antoni will be the obvious choice.

Speed is only useful if it's applied to both sides of the game. D'Antoni sees defense as that annoying time when you don't have the ball. USA will not win with Three First Names at the helm. You can't out International the Internationals. If the USA gets into a pure run and gun, no defense game, they're going to lose. Running off a quarter court turnover is much easier than running off a made basket because your team didn't D-up. The Internationals will kill us in a run and shoot showdown.

spursfan09
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I think he is done but if he would go back and play for anyone, it would probably be Pop.

Thats what I think. I think it also depends on how badly Tim wants to win a gold. From what I see it does not bother him that he does not have one, but don't know if maybe deep inside he might.

duncan228
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Duncan won't play international ball again. He was quite clear he was done with it, I don't think he'll change his mind. He was asked to be on this team, he turned it down. Not getting the Gold was disappointing to him but I don't think it's something that he wants bad enough to go through that experience again. His resume looks pretty good even without Gold.

Besides the bad experience, the 3 year commitment is too much of his time at this stage of his career, and his life (as others have said). He's away so much during the season, he's not going to miss more of his kids. I think Duncan's focus is on bringing a couple more Championships home before he's done. I don't see him putting his time and energy into anything else.

ShoogarBear
08-24-2008, 02:39 PM
D'Antoni would be by far the least qualified coach ever to get the U.S. job. Seriously, what has he ever done? Even Don Nelson would be a more deserving choice (although he's probably past wanting it).

If anything would make Duncan reconsider FIBA, it would be Pop coaching, but 2012 would be way too late in TD's career.

I wouldn't worry too much about Pop's system taking hold, because he would get three shots at it like Krzyzewski did.

century
08-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Pop fucked it up 4 years ago. He won't be back. And D'antoni is fucking italian!

ShoogarBear
08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
And D'antoni is fucking italian!

Have you heard him speak? He's about as Italian as Jed Clampetti.

century
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Have you heard him speak? He's about as Italian as Jed Clampetti.

Italian hillbilly. Guy accepts italian citizenship and we make him the coach of the U.S. team? Fuck that!

alamo50
08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
D'Antoni sees defense as that annoying time when you don't have the ball.

Agreed.

T Park
08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Pop fucked it up 4 years ago. He won't be back. And D'antoni is fucking italian!

Pop didn't coach the team in 2004

century
08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Pop didn't coach the team in 2004

Who said he did? I said he was there to fuck it up.

anakha
08-24-2008, 04:21 PM

And the primadonnas called Larry Brown and Stephon Marbury had absolutely nothing to do with that debacle?

Sense
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM

With the way you're posting

I foreshadow a future ban....

Fmedrano1077
08-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Parker will never play for team USA as he has played for the French. That disqualifies him from being part of any other team just like Kaman choosing to play for the Germans

E20
08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I hope not. I'm totally against it and every Spurs fan should be against it as well, big chance of injury.

whottt
08-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Uh, USA is winning with choking pressure defense this year, something sadly missing from the last few teams and something that will no doubt be on the milk carton of any D'Antoni team. That being said, Team USA will probably pick him, and we stand an excellent chance of not only losing, but getting blown out as Three First Names tries to out-offense international teams instead of D-ing up.

Uh...Mike D'Antoni would likley have at least one NBA Championship right now if not for the Spurs..possibly winning one as a rookie head coach....and there aren't any National teams like the Spurs.

Don't get your hate, and the Spurs success confused with reality...the only reason D'antoni didn't realize his dream of(quickly) winning without defense, is because of the Spurs.

IF there was another team that was kicking the Suns ass, I'd appreciate it if you'd name them.

Then again in FIBA...he won't have Steve Nash as his PG, so that has to be considered as well. But I remain unsold on Pop's viability as an International Coach though...not to mention getting the players to buy into his D, during their offseason.

ShoogarBear
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Avery kicked D'Antoni's ass. Didn't expect you to remember that.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Uh...Mike D'Antoni would likley have at least one NBA Championship right now if not for the Spurs..possibly winning one as a rookie head coach....and there aren't any National teams like the Spurs.

Don't get your hate, and the Spurs success confused with reality...the only reason D'antoni didn't realize his dream of(quickly) winning without defense, is because of the Spurs.

IF there was another team that was kicking the Suns ass, I'd appreciate it if you'd name them.

Then again in FIBA...he won't have Steve Nash as his PG, so that has to be considered as well. But I remain unsold on Pop's viability as an International Coach though...not to mention getting the players to buy into his D, during their offseason.

I'm not saying Pop's the guy, just that D'Antoni is the guy to lose with. The players that Nike wants on the team don't shoot well enough to win with no defense against the best teams the world has to offer. I think a D'Antoni team could actually get blown out in the medal round.

Oh, and D'Antoni lost twice, in 2004 and 2006 to teams not named 'San Antonio' so somebody else was beating them. D'Antoni also did nothing much his rookie coaching year of 2003-2004, playoff wise. LA beat us and beat Minny in the WCF.

whottt
08-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Avery kicked D'Antoni's ass. Didn't expect you to remember that.

Amare Stoudamire

Who is an NBA player ShoogarBear has never heard of?

Let me put it another way, one of the 3 following records is not like the others, I've leave it for you to guess which one that would be...and why.

2006-07 NBA 61 - 21 .744 1 (0 GB)
Right here>>>>:elephant:downspin:>>>>>2005-06 NBA 54 - 28 .659 1 (0 GB)<<<<<:downspin::elephant<<<<<Right here
2004-05 NBA 62 - 20 .756 1 (0 GB

polandprzem
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
All three are different whott

:lol

whottt
08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
t

polandprzem
08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
t

I know I know

:rolleyes

btw. not polandpzrem (very often)

whottt
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
You know coughShoogarBearcough..when someone puts that much effort into a clever response...it's polite to at least chuckle, even if you don't mean it. Humor doesn't come as easy to some of us as it does to others.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Let me put it another way, one of the 3 following records is not like the others, I've leave it for you to guess which one that would be...and why.

2006-07 NBA 61 - 21 .744 1 (0 GB)
Right here>>>>:elephant:downspin:>>>>>2005-06 NBA 54 - 28 .659 1 (0 GB)<<<<<:downspin::elephant<<<<<Right here
2004-05 NBA 62 - 20 .756 1 (0 GB

So D'Antoni can't win without Amare, and he can't win with Amare, and he can't beat the Spurs, and he can't beat other teams. Got it.

Oh, and that team that you highlighted made it all the way to the WCFs without Amare. That's where they lost to Dallas.

polandprzem
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
You know coughShoogarBearcough..when someone puts that much effort into a clever response...it's polite to at least chuckle, even if you don't mean it. Humor doesn't come as easy to some of us as it does to others.

I've noticed that in here I had to put a
j/k

or

[/sarcasm]

otherwise nobody would get the point

About sense of humor? You would have to meet me to know

whottt
08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
So D'Antoni can't win without Amare, and he can't win with Amare, and he can't beat the Spurs, and he can't beat other teams. Got it.

Oh, and that team that you highlighted made it all the way to the WCFs without Amare. That's where they lost to Dallas.

So Amare Stoudamire is meaningless?

Got it.

PS: He beat everyone but the Spurs with Amare.

Pop hasn't even had a winning record as a coach without Duncan.

It matters.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
So Amare Stoudamire is meaningless?

Got it.

PS: He beat everyone but the Spurs with Amare.

Pop hasn't even had a winning record as a coach without Duncan.

It matters.

2003-2004. He didn't win with Amare that year, and it wasn't the Spurs.

Does it matter that in Pop's only season without Duncan the Spurs set the record for player games on the DL? 270 something or 280 something games? Handicap D'Antoni Amare and Nash and Matrix and see what he does...

timvp
08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Pop would be a good Olympic coach but selfishly I hope that Pop isn't picked so he can focus more on the Spurs. Pop isn't going to be a spring chicken in 2012 and I want him to use the fire he has left on the Spurs.

1Parker1
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I think Billy Donovan has a better chance of becoming the Olympics coach than Pop. :lol

whottt
08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
2003-2004. He didn't win with Amare that year, and it wasn't the Spurs.

A. He wasn't with the Suns for all of that year.
B. Neither was Amare.
C. Nash, Steve.

timvp
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
If I'm USA basketball, I hire Bob Knight to a four year contract and have him become the full-time Olympic coach. Then I'd film the whole thing as a reality series.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
:lol

exstatic
08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
A. He wasn't with the Suns for all of that year.
B. Neither was Amare.
C. Nash, Steve.

So, Pop can't win without Duncan and TFNs can't win without Nash. Bad News unless USA basketball can get Nash to change citizenship.

whottt
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
So, Pop can't win without Duncan and TFNs can't win without Nash. Bad News unless USA basketball can get Nash to change citizenship.

Earlier in this thread:

Then again in FIBA...he[stache] won't have Steve Nash as his PG, so that has to be considered as well.

But you left out one other thing...Pop is 0-2 in International championships as an assistant.

I don't think it's a wrong statement to say D'antoni understands the international game better than Pop.

You do realize Mike D'antoni was a Euroepean scout for the Spurs don't you?

You do realize he owned every person on this forum on Beno Udrih about 5 months before anyone else had a clue...

I don't expect you to like D'Antoni...I don't like him myself, but you need to separate yourself from your bias for a second...when he had talent he won with it, and he came very close to winning a championship...and probably the main reason he didn't is the difference in rules between the NBA and the International Game....

You don't need as much emphasis on defense in the International Game...it's rules are designed to circumvent individual defensive weakness and place a premium on shooting ability.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Earlier in this thread:

But you left out one other thing...Pop is 0-2 in International championships as an assistant.

I don't think it's a wrong statement to say D'antoni understands the international game better than Pop.

You do realize Mike D'antoni was a Euroepean scout for the Spurs don't you?

You do realize he owned every person on this forum on Beno Udrih about 5 months before anyone else had a clue...

I don't expect you to like D'Antoni...I don't like him myself, but you need to separate yourself from your bias for a second...when he had talent he won with it, and he came very close to winning a championship...and probably the main reason he didn't is the difference in rules between this and the International Game.

I'm not advocating Pop, but you keep saying I am. I am de-advocating D'Antoni. The Nike Team shooters aren't good enough to play his game and beat the Internationals. They'll run us off the fucking court if we don't play defense, and no D'Antoni team ever has.

IronMexican
08-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I doubt we see Kobe or Duncan in 2012, both will be past their respective primes.

edgar
08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
what if pop gets injured during the olympics?

i think he should show his commitment to the spurs by not going.

:lmao

whottt
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm not advocating Pop, but you keep saying I am. I am de-advocating D'Antoni. The Nike Team shooters aren't good enough to play his game and beat the Internationals. They'll run us off the fucking court if we don't play defense, and no D'Antoni team ever has.

That's not true about the need for D in the international game. Matter of fact, premium individual defensive ability is pretty much wasted in the International Game.

I have done nothing but laugh at Flip Saunders and the Pistons since they day they made that guy the head coach of the Pistons...but I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he was named coach of Team USA...that's exactly the sort of situation in which style would fit.

I am not in favor of Pop becoming coach of Team USA for one major reason...Pop's strength as a coach is virtually useless in International Play, and it takes time for him to instill it...a month out of each summer won't do it. It takes him 4 months every season to instill with players who know his philosophy like the back of their hands.

Whereas that game plays to the strenghts of guys like D'antoni, Saunders and even Nelly.

I'd sign off on Nelly being named coach of Team USA in an instant...I'd get physically ill if he was named coach of the Spurs. It's not the same game...just ask Tim Duncan.

ShoogarBear
08-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Sorry, I had to go check into my hotel.

What was the question again, Alex?

ducks
08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Colangelo Will Run USA Hoops Through 2012
Aug 24th 2008
Tom Ziller
AOL Fanhouse

In the afterglow of Team USA's gold medal redemption, the attention turns to what's next. Actually, the New York Times scooped everyone by asking the crew on Saturday their plans for participation in the 2009-2012 edition. But Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports got something solid on the guy who calls the shots, Jerry Colangelo.

Moments after the United States' 118-107 victory over Spain on Sunday, Colangelo strongly suggested he would return: "Look, continuity is important. If you're a betting guy, you'd say, (I'm) probably going to do it. But it's not official."

Colangelo, 68, said he plans to make an announcement next week. His continuing in the job would be no surprise. Colangelo has been talking a lot about the future of the program, about its next steps and no one surrounding USA Basketball and the NBA expects him to walk away.

That matters quite a bit. Why? Colangelo's proud of this team, proud his vision came to its best possible end. I imagine, because of that, any Redeem Teamers who want back in for the 2010 World Championships and the 2012 London Games will have a spot ... save maybe Jason Kidd.

Likewise, the players Colangelo picked for the USA Select team -- Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Kevin Martin, Brandon Roy among them -- will likely have a better shot than if someone else took over. If too many 2008 ballers stick around (it'd be a third straight Games appearance for Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade), these other kids won't get much of a chance.

As for coaching, expect Mike D'Antoni or Nate McMillan to get the nod. Gregg Popovich has been mentioned, but he and Colangelo don't get along, and that'd potentially ruin all the good feelings from Beijing.

m33p0
08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
as if he'd want to. :rolleyes

cly2tw
08-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Well, Redeem team that just won gold implemented DA's system. As a Suns fan, I hated his system for NBA plays since you never could assemble enough talent to make it successful in the playoffs. Everybody needs to be able to defend and make steals while able to shoot and score at the same time. Only team USA could get so much talent to do that. So, it's logical that they give the job to DA.