PDA

View Full Version : How Much Time For Ginobili?

The Franchise
08-24-2008, 01:50 PM
How much time can the Spurs realistically give Manu to mend before it threatens their playoff hopes?

century
08-24-2008, 01:51 PM
October 1, 2008.

T Park
08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
He can rest up till march and it wouldn't threaten their playoff spot.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2008, 01:56 PM
It will hard and they'll need someone to step up as a third scorer, but they should be able to make the playoffs and do well if he's ready by January. I'll wait til Manu gets his MRI and they decide whether he should get surgery before worrying about it too much though.

honestfool84
08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
i think they should let him rest till the all star break; then bring him back, SLOWLY, so that he is in monster form and with so much energy come playoff time.

T Park
08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
It would be cool if the forum doctor could comment and say what they would surgically fix so to speak.

All I know is he has arthritis and the ligament is stretched so to speak.

What would surgery do to fix it?

E20
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Manu should just replace that shit with steel.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2008, 02:14 PM
It would be cool if the forum doctor could comment and say what they would surgically fix so to speak.

I don't understand it either. I didn't know they would do surgery unless there was a major or complete tear. So I'm not sure what kind of surgery they would do on Manu.

T Park
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I've always assumed that surgery would be needed if it was torn. I don't know whats done to surgically repair arthritis. Admiral or Shoog, it would be great if you tore yourselves away from the golf course to answer that please :) :) :) :)

exstatic
08-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Nothing for the arthritis, but it can tighten up/fix the ligament. That seems to be the bugaboo that is hounding him repeatedly. It robs him of his lift, and that affects both his finishing ability and his jumper.

TheMadHatter
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Do the Spurs want to come into the playoffs again with a low seed? I think we've seen how disastrous that can be to an old team like SAS.

Had the Spurs had the path the Lakers did I can guarantee you they would be NBA Champions right now.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Do the Spurs want to come into the playoffs again with a low seed? I think we've seen how disastrous that can be to an old team like SAS.

Had the Spurs had the path the Lakers did I can guarantee you they would be NBA Champions right now.

In the Spurs 4 titles, we've had HCA two times (99 and 03) and not had it two times (05 07). What makes a difference is how you're playing and how healthy you are.

T Park
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Ginobili's health was the only thing standing between them and the Finals this year.

Thats all.

brettn
08-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Depends how serious the injury is obviously.

I wouldn't mind if they rested him most of the season and gave him 10-15 games at the end of the season to get him back into basketball shape/rhythm. Even then though, Manu's health isn't guaranteed for the duration of the playoffs.

Kori Ellis
08-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Nothing for the arthritis, but it can tighten up/fix the ligament. That seems to be the bugaboo that is hounding him repeatedly. It robs him of his lift, and that affects both his finishing ability and his jumper.

How would they tighten it? (Serious question) Would they need to cut it and shorten it, since it's stretched out?

Allanon
08-24-2008, 03:32 PM
If this injury comes down to surgery, the Spurs can ill afford it because alot of other West teams improved. The season is only 2 months away now..

The Playoffs were 2 months ago and Manu still hadn't healed completely. If he has surgery, I can't see him even starting serious rehab/workouts until January. Looks like ALOT of Michael Finley/Roger Mason/Ime Udoka in the coming months if Manu does have surgery.

exstatic
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
How would they tighten it? (Serious question) Would they need to cut it and shorten it, since it's stretched out?

I think that would be the case if it isn't a complete tear. They can also replace it with a cadaver tendon or one from your hamstring, but many opt for the cadaver, especially athletes, because the hamstring tendons are the only real good ACL replacement.

T Park
08-24-2008, 03:39 PM
If this injury comes down to surgery, the Spurs can ill afford it because alot of other West teams improved. The season is only 2 months away now..

The Playoffs were 2 months ago and Manu still hadn't healed completely. If he has surgery, I can't see him even starting serious rehab/workouts until January. Looks like ALOT of Michael Finley/Roger Mason/Ime Udoka in the coming months if Manu does have surgery.

What teams in the west have improved?

Allanon
08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
What teams in the west have improved?

In the Southwest division alone, the improvement is staggering.

Rockets have a powerhouse now with Yao, Artest, TMAC, Scola, Battier, Alston
Grizzlies are not going to be pushovers anymore...Mayo & Gay is going to be a lethal punch
Hornets upgraded with Posey while losing Pargo

Only the Mavs didn't do anything and will probably miss the Playoffs

Timberwolves were a young but talented team last year, this year with Kevin Love, they should have a very solid frontline

Portland gets Oden back with an already very good team and throw in Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless.

Lakers have sprouted wings with Bynum returning.

mrspurs
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
All day baby. All day. Thats how long Manu has.

xtremesteven33
08-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I still think this injury is not as MAJOR as everyone seems to think IMO. i just think when he started out in the olympics he was at 85% healthy.

he tweeked it again and now needs to rest for sure. i say let him rest for 2-3 months into the regular season and slowly get him 15-20 minutes a game and hell be back in full swing come playoff time.

timvp
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I still think this injury is not as MAJOR as everyone seems to think IMO. i just think when he started out in the olympics he was at 85% healthy.

he tweeked it again and now needs to rest for sure. i say let him rest for 2-3 months into the regular season and slowly get him 15-20 minutes a game and hell be back in full swing come playoff time.Who is saying it is more major than that? If your scenario is true, that would mean it is major.

But anyways, the Spurs should be able to keep their head above water as long as two of the Big Three are completely healthy. If multiple members of the Big Three are banged up, that's when you have to start worrying about the playoffs.

spurschick
08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Let's face it... we're always one injury away from not making it to the finals. It just as easily could've been Tony or Timmy going out last year. IMO, it's essential to have 2 of the big offensive 3 healthy, but we really need to start getting consistent production elsewhere.

SenorSpur
08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Looks like the Spurs will be "limping" into the regular season the same way they "limped" out of the playoffs.

I know that was a cheap, corny shot, but hey it's the long, boring offseason. :-)

T Park
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
In the Southwest division alone, the improvement is staggering.

Rockets have a powerhouse now with Yao, Artest, TMAC, Scola, Battier, Alston
Grizzlies are not going to be pushovers anymore...Mayo & Gay is going to be a lethal punch
Hornets upgraded with Posey while losing Pargo

Only the Mavs didn't do anything and will probably miss the Playoffs

Timberwolves were a young but talented team last year, this year with Kevin Love, they should have a very solid frontline

Portland gets Oden back with an already very good team and throw in Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless.

Lakers have sprouted wings with Bynum returning.

One team adds a chemistry killing nutjob
one hopes a center with career knee trouble gets healthy

and thats an improved west?

Okiedoke.

DMX7
08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
We can make the playoffs without Ginobili entirely but it will be a very low seed.

Ocotillo
08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Is the OKC 09 draft pick lottery protected? If so, Tim may want to "rest" as well.

T Park
08-24-2008, 06:18 PM
:rolleyes

Cherry
08-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't understand it either. I didn't know they would do surgery unless there was a major or complete tear. So I'm not sure what kind of surgery they would do on Manu.

Manu say he's ready for an Arthroscopy

Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure that allows a physician to treat a damaged or problem knee without making a large incision on the outer skin, which protects the knee joint.
Alternatives to arthroscopy are anti-inflammatory pills, injections, observation, physical therapy, tolerating the problem, total joint replacement, osteotomies, etc. Alternatives will vary based on age and symptoms.

Sissiborgo
08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
give him a big rest and get him back 100%....:)

ElNono
08-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Here's the situation: Manu had an MRI on Saturday. His tendon looked as swollen and stretched as when he got to Argentina after the playoffs. That's when he expressed he was doubtful about the Olympics (he never saw that tendon stretched like that before).
He now realizes that with the tendon stretched like that, he's just as likely to keep on getting swollen or even tear it during normal play, that's why he said he's already 'getting mentally ready' for surgery.
He should be flying right about now to San Antonio with his wife.
About 5 to 10 minutes after he got into the locker room in the US game, he called Pop first, and talked with him for a bit. Then he talked to one other person from the ownership group of the team. Pop asked him, and Manu assured, that he would go straight to San Antonio after the games were over. San Antonio doctors are set to take a look at his ankle as soon as he gets there.

Surgery is very likely, and it could be as soon as next week. Like exstatic said, they're probably going to fix up or repair/replace the stretched tendon with an Arthroscopy, so his recovery time can be shorter.

If I hear more (kind of doubtful now that Manu will be back in SA), I'll let you guys know.

SenorSpur
08-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Here's the situation: Manu had an MRI on Saturday. His tendon looked as swollen and stretched as when he got to Argentina after the playoffs. That's when he expressed he was doubtful about the Olympics (he never saw that tendon stretched like that before).
He now realizes that with the tendon stretched like that, he's just as likely to keep on getting swollen or even tear it during normal play, that's why he said he's already 'getting mentally ready' for surgery.
He should be flying right about now to San Antonio with his wife.
About 5 to 10 minutes after he got into the locker room in the US game, he called Pop first, and talked with him for a bit. Then he talked to one other person from the ownership group of the team. Pop asked him, and Manu assured, that he would go straight to San Antonio after the games were over. San Antonio doctors are set to take a look at his ankle as soon as he gets there.

Surgery is very likely, and it could be as soon as next week. Like exstatic said, they're probably going to fix up or repair/replace the stretched tendon with an Arthroscopy, so his recovery time can be shorter.

If I hear more (kind of doubtful now that Manu will be back in SA), I'll let you guys know.

Appreciate the update. Just out of curiosity, from what source did you get this update?

ElNono
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Appreciate the update. Just out of curiosity, from what source did you get this update?

About 90% of it from various articles in La Nacion, Ole and Clarin, the Argentina newspapers over the last couple of days. The locker room part comes from Manu (I believe it was mentioned on one or two of the articles with more or less accuracy).
The 'surgery is likely' part is speculation from my part, and I should have said so.
Sorry. I should say that surgery is dependent on both the Spurs's doctors diagnosis and whatever the Spurs management decides based on that diagnosis.

It just seem likely to me it would happen because it's obvious it has become a major hindrance on that ankle.

timvp
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's the situation: Manu had an MRI on Saturday.False. His ankle was too swollen for an MRI. He'll have the MRI when he returns to San Antonio.

ElNono
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
False. His ankle was too swollen for an MRI. He'll have the MRI when he returns to San Antonio.

That's actually correct. Nocioni had the MRI done (no bone injury for him). Sorry about that. The Argentina NT doctor did say his tendon is as swollen and stretched as before the Olympics though:

Se fue con Diego Grippo, el médico que después confirmó lo que se temía: "Es la misma lesión que tuvo al principio de la preparación. Una inflamación en el ligamento tibioperoneo que le produce una tendinitis del flexor común de los dedos", informó.

This is where I got confused from:

-¿No juega con Lituania? -Va a ser difícil. Mañana (madrugada argentina) haremos una resonancia magnética y ahí veremos más en profundidad.

But you are correct that they couldn't get it done:

El argentino finalmente, no fue sometido hoy a la resonancia magnética que tenía prevista, debido a que la zona todavía se mantiene inflamada. Pero tanto el jugador como el cuerpo médico no necesitaron esperar los resultados de los estudios para saber que mañana no podrá estar presente ante los lituanos.

Thanks for the correction.

Dramon
08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Ginobili's health was the only thing standing between them and the Finals this year.

Thats all.

Nope, lern 2 internets.

The only thing standing between them and the Finals this year was the Spurs FO and RC Buford who needs to be fired. The Lakers FO brought in Pau Gasol and the Spurs FO brought in Kurt Thomas who according to spurstalk should chip in with Michael Finley and Robert Horry to start a retirement home.

Also, the Spurs FO this year failed to resign Brent Barry who happens to actually be a year older than Thomas and Finley, but everyone forgets that because in his last playoff game he became the scorer that he hasn't been in 5 years, to say nothing of him slowing down on defense.

Not to mention that the Spurs FO traded away Beno Udrih who can put up big numbers when given a lot of minutes but goes back to the player he was when put in a backup role such as when Bibby came back. So even though he puts up big numbers now, it definitely shouldn't be considered that if he still played for SA he'd be a backup behind Parker in a much more structured system than Sacramento.

Slippy
08-24-2008, 09:59 PM
So is it a ligament or tendon?. Im not expert but if it's even a slight tear on a tendon wouldn't that make it more serious?

Slippy
08-24-2008, 10:06 PM
That's actually correct. Nocioni had the MRI done (no bone injury for him). Sorry about that. The Argentina NT doctor did say his tendon is as swollen and stretched as before the Olympics though:

Se.

ok so if it is his tendon , how serious of an injury is a stretched one? Any one in the know?

ElNono
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
ok so if it is his tendon , how serious of an injury is a stretched one? Any one in the know?

Sorry, Im not a doctor.

DROB4EVER
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
As long as the tendon is not ripped normal MO is to rest sometimes for several months. Surgery is sometimes used to speed up healing so I would be shocked if he doesnt have it done.

From what info is out there, this he agrivated the injury he had during playoffs..which would have heal on its own with rest. If he has surgery again assuming its not ripped, best case hes back in mid Nov.

Time to start looking to sign another wing or make a trade.

Slippy
08-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry, Im not a doctor.
Don't be sorry, it wasn't directed at you.

As long as the tendon is not ripped normal MO is to rest sometimes for several months. Surgery is sometimes used to speed up healing so I would be shocked if he doesnt have it done.

From what info is out there, this he agrivated the injury he had during playoffs..which would have heal on its own with rest. If he has surgery again assuming its not ripped, best case hes back in mid Nov.

Time to start looking to sign another wing or make a trade.

With the info we do have, lets assume 3months of rest if he does have surgery. November maybe even December would be the best bet on Manu's return. Fingers crossed there is no worst case scenario.

Allanon
08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
With the info we do have, lets assume 3months of rest if he does have surgery. November maybe even December would be the best bet on Manu's return. Fingers crossed there is no worst case scenario.

I think withOUT surgery, its 3 months (1 month into the season) for Manu's return. Manu had basically 2 months of rehab before he tweaked it again during the USA game and it was on a very minor play. He can't rush back or he'll tweak it again a couple of weeks into the season.

With Surgery, most likely 6 months from now. Chronic bad ankles take forever to heal...he realistically needs a year to rest the ankle but of course that's not Manu.

Slippy
08-25-2008, 05:31 AM
MySA reports have it as a strained ligament.

exstatic
08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Is the OKC 09 draft pick lottery protected? If so, Tim may want to "rest" as well.

You've got it Bass Ackwards: we don't have their '09 draft pick, they have ours.

benefactor
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Not to mention that the Spurs FO traded away Beno Udrih who can put up big numbers when given a lot of minutes but goes back to the player he was when put in a backup role such as when Bibby came back. So even though he puts up big numbers now, it definitely shouldn't be considered that if he still played for SA he'd be a backup behind Parker in a much more structured system than Sacramento.
Epic fail. You have just lost all credibility less than 20 posts in.

mrspurs
08-25-2008, 08:44 AM

The News

hater
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
he will be ready after Allstar game. Just in time to help Spurs take 8th and final spot in the West.

benefactor
08-25-2008, 11:12 AM
he will be ready after Allstar game. Just in time to help Spurs take 8th and final spot in the West.
...and pulling a 94-95 Rockets maybe?
:king

rascal
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I think they should sit him out all year and not make the playoffs. Thats the only way the spurs have a chance at getting an impact player in the near future. Next year manu comes back 100% and the spurs add a top lottery pick.

Unless next years traded pick is not lottery protected.

duncan228
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Manu Ginobili headed to San Antonio for tests (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=659&line=99745&spln=1)

Manu Ginobili is headed to San Antonio for more tests on the strained ligament in his left foot, the same injury that affected him at the end of last season.

"It’s a little messed up, but it will be fine," Ginobili said on Sunday. The injury is obviously prone to aggravation, so it wouldn't be shocking if Ginobili skips the Spurs training camp. Until the test results are in, however, we just have to hope that he's healthy once the season starts.

Ginobili will have ankle evaluated (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2008/08/ginobili_will_h.html)

BEIJING -- US guard Kobe Bryant of the Lakers and Argentina guard Manu Ginobili of the Spurs were both on a flight from Beijing to Chicago that included Olympians from the US, Canada, Australia, and Chile.

Ginobili told the Boston Globe that he is on his way to San Antonio to get his ankle injury evaluated. The 2005 NBA All-Star reinjured his left ankle against the US in the semifinals of the men's basketball tournament last Friday and didn't play Sunday when Argentina beat Lithuania to win the bronze medal.

"We'll see what they want me to do," Ginobili said about the Spurs.

DROB4EVER
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
What I have heard on local sports talk radio is he needs rest and will be prone to flair ups if he taxes the ankle to much during the season. IMO we should keep mins down and give him games off against the weeker teams in the leauge.

Hopefully we can get off to a good start this season and distance ourselves for the Lakers and Hous and give us some options resting him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-25-2008, 03:27 PM
He obviously needs more than the 3 1/2 weeks he gave it last time.