PDA

View Full Version : Tough break for Giants

clambake
08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Posted: August 24, 2008
Paul Schwartz
Sporting News correspondent

The Giants' worst-case scenario has come true. An MRI revealed damage to the medial collateral ligament in Osi Umenyiora's left knee, and the star defensive end will miss the entire 2008 season, according to Sporting News correspondent Paul Schwartz.

Umenyiora was carted off the field after injuring the knee during the second quarter of the Giants' preseason game against the Jets on Saturday night.

The news is a huge blow to the Giants. Umenyiora, 26, is a two-time Pro Bowl selection and led the team in sacks each of the past three seasons, supplanting retired Michael Strahan as the Giants' premier pass rusher. Umenyiora had 13 sacks last season.

The most logical option to replace Umenyiora is Mathias Kiwaunka, a natural defensive end who was moved to strongside linebacker last season in order to get him into the starting lineup. Kiwanuka was drafted out of Boston College as a defensive end and plays on the line at end in the nickel package. He has said previously that converting back to end would require little or no adjustment.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Damn.

NewJerSpur
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
They better pray ownership ponies up the money to drag Strahan out of retirement now. I do feel bad for Osi though....NFL players have such a short shelf-life and an even smaller window of time to perform in their individual primes regardless of the position, except for kickers.

Sense
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Damn it I have the Giants defense in two of my Fantasy teams...
I hope they step it up somehow

IronMexican
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
they're done.

debo
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
fucking preseason

samikeyp
08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Cue the "will they try to lure back Strahan" talk.

NewJerSpur
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Cue the "will they try to lure back Strahan" talk.

Gotta' believe he has a big ole' gap-tooth smile on his face right about now. At this point, his name is bigger than Favre's in New York.

Evan
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
They better pray ownership ponies up the money to drag Strahan out of retirement now.

He was at Cowboys training camp and looked so small.

Tough break for the Giants...thats pre-season for ya. Why people complain about easy training camps and teams not trying hard in pre season is beyond me. After 3 weeks its all about not getting someone hurt.