PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals to name Kurt Warner the Starter

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Source: Cardinals set to name QB Warner as starter
By Chris Mortensen
Updated: August 24, 2008, 11:58 AM ET

The Arizona Cardinals are expected to name Kurt Warner as the team's starting quarterback, a team source said Sunday.

Matt Leinart's poor performance Saturday night against the Oakland Raiders probably sealed the decision.

Leinart had three interceptions in the first half and completed just 4 of 12 passes for 24 yards. His passer rating was 2.8. The Cardinals won the game 24-0.

The source said Leinart's training-camp performance has been uneven, and the Cardinals are concerned about his arm strength and consistency.

After the game, coach Ken Whisenhunt said Leinart was still in the running for the Cardinals' starting job.

"I know Matt's down because he didn't play as well as he would have liked," Whisenhunt said. "This competition, being pushed by Kurt, has made Matt tougher. It's one of the things you have to be as a quarterback."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3551359

exstatic
08-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Sucks for Leinart and the Cardinals. If it's really that close, the young guy should get the nod. You're not trying to develop Warner, after all. If they're convinced that Leinart is a total loss, AZ should see if Cleveland will trade one of their QBs.

djohn14
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
At first when it went across the ESPN ticker it said Rams name Kurt Warner starting QB and I was like Whaaaaaaaat!

Sucks for Leinart and the Cardinals. If it's really that close, the young guy should get the nod. You're not trying to develop Warner, after all. If they're convinced that Leinart is a total loss, AZ should see if Cleveland will trade one of their QBs.

I do see where you are coming from, but that is not always the case. If Arizona thinks for some dumb reason they can win this year (which I have them behind the Rams, Seattle, and Frisco) then you almost have to start the proven Vet. Is it the right decision....probably not, its Arizona after all, but I do kinda get where their coming from.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I agree with this decision by the Cards. If anyone saw yesterday's game vs. the Raiders, you can tell he is terrible. I normally don't judge players by one game, but that performance alone definitely could've changed the minds of some here that are against the decision. He's a bust.

Sense
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Clearly the better QB.....

Warner's underrated... I think if he was in a different situation he'd be winning...

oh and his stats are good for Fantasy football

FanSPURSatic
08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Leinart has to prove he can run the offense. Until then I say Warner deserves it. They have a badass group of recievers and Leinart is pissing away his chance to be a starter.

Evan
08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Complicated situation. No matter what you do you piss off your fans and players.

jack sommerset
08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Dumb decsion. They have handled this whole qb thing all wrong and its not surprising. They are the Clippers of the NFL. Anyhoot Warner just won't disappear. He has 9 lives!

NewJerSpur
08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Can't wait for that QB platoon to go into effect in AZ again this season...it worked out rather well for them last year. :king

GO HAWKS!!

Trainwreck2100
08-24-2008, 10:49 PM
It gives Leinhart more time to bang ASU chicks

SpursFanFirst
08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
:lol ouch! That's gotta hurt (Leinart)

ducks
08-24-2008, 11:48 PM

new coaches are harder on younger players

I feel bad for for alex smith 3 new coaches or so
and matt
matt said he learned alot being hurt
but I think matt lost some confidence and now this

would not suprise to see him and boldin get out of there

ducks
08-24-2008, 11:52 PM
I agree with this decision by the Cards. If anyone saw yesterday's game vs. the Raiders, you can tell he is terrible. I normally don't judge players by one game, but that performance alone definitely could've changed the minds of some here that are against the decision. He's a bust.

he sucked major but on those three throws but 2 years ago I saw brent throw the same three throws in a game and people said he could be playing

I am not 100% sold on az's coach

last year the coach did not trust matt under 200 minutes
and sometimes in the redzone before he got hurt

he treats rookies worse then larry brown

tlongII
08-25-2008, 09:44 AM
It's nice to see the 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals continue to look inept.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Kip Dynamite
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Leinart has to prove he can run the offense.

Your mom runs the offense!

NewJerSpur
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
It's nice to see the 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals continue to look inept.

GO SEAHAWKS!

I'll raise a cup to that my fellow Hawk bretheren. :toast

"Long live Seattle's Rain....I mean Reign." [pun intended] :lol

Whisky Dog
08-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Seahawks fans...

The people who now get to watch Julius Jones get arm tackled by corner backs at the line of scrimmage.

I think he once tripped on a defensive tackle's shoelace for a loss of 3.

NewJerSpur
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I was never in favor of the Foolius Jones signing and believe he has a lot to prove and expectations he may not live up to. That said, MoMo (Maurice Morris for those outside of the Seahawk circle) and T.J. Duckett have looked good this preseason and may prove to be the tools the the Hawks need to get over their offensive hump of last year.

Spuradicator
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Wasn't there a retraction to this story? I read Wisenhunt said Leinert was still the starter.

stretch
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
i wonder what JGW has to say about this?

:lmao

leemajors
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
i wonder what JGW has to say about this?

:lmao

he admitted that leinart "may" be a bust in the usc/osu thread i think

monosylab1k
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Leinart can't be this bad. I still say he's got the potential to be a top 10 QB in this league. If he would just spend more time studying the playbook and less time feeding beer bongs to underage sluts, he might actually do well.

JudynTX
08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I didn't know Arizona still had a football team. :lol

ducks
08-31-2008, 03:50 PM
matt has played very well today

this is going to get intersting

dirk4mvp
08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I didn't know Arizona still had a football team. :lol

:lmao that's funny

I mean, really. I don't think anybody has ever busted out I didn't think <insert city or state> had a <insert respective sport here> team joke anymore. Job well done.

JamStone
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM
If it does end up being Warner, that really will suck for Leinert. He can't even say "well at least I fucked Paris Hilton" anymore to lessen the sting of this disappointment. Everyone famous can say that now.

ducks
08-31-2008, 05:34 PM
watching most of the second quarter announcers acted like the starting quarterback is still open it is not kurt's yet