PDA

View Full Version : Wade Speaks Up For Duncan

duncan228
08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
There's an audio link on the site to hear Wade.

Wade speaks up for Tim Duncan (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/olympics/wade-speaks-up-for-tim-duncan)

BEIJING — San Antonio Spur star Tim Duncan made no secret his disgust for international officiating following the 2004 Athens Olympics when he played for the bronze-medal winning USA team.

Duncan spent most U.S. games on the bench in foul trouble and thoroughly frustrated. Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Carlos Boozer were teammates of Duncan's on that team. The bad taste lingered and pushed them to make the commitment to the 2008 team.

But Wade understands why Duncan didn't want anymore to do with FIBA and international ball.

"I can understand why some guys like Tim Duncan didn't want to play no more. Watching him not play a full game at all, in one game. It sucked."

SenorSpur
08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I love Tim's parting response when asked about his desire to participate in future FIBA competition, "FIBA sucks".

duncan228
08-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I love Tim's parting response when asked about his desire to participate in future FIBA competition, "FIBA sucks".

I love how that's become his most famous quote. It's followed by his response to the dress code, "It's retarded". For a "boring" guy he has his moments. :lol

carina_gino20
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I love how that's become his most famous quote. It's followed by his response to the dress code, "It's retarded". For a "boring" guy he has his moments. :lol

He has a lot of moments, if anyone would care to watch. :lol

E20
08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Duncan seems like a really funny guy. The quiet people I always seem to meet are the funniest.

God bless you Tim Duncan.

duncan228
08-24-2008, 09:54 PM
He has a lot of moments, if anyone would care to watch. :lol

I watch. :)

Brutalis
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I remember those Olympics. It was pathetic. He was getting hacked and smacked and it was being allowed.

rj215
08-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Tim > Boozer+Bosh+Howard and the officials sucked in both Greece and China. If anyone remembers, Tim was unstopable when he wasn't getting those BS fouls every minute. It seemed like no one could guard him... guess it doesn't matter where he plays.

mystargtr34
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe if Pop coachs London he will take Timmy with him :D

Brutalis
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Maybe if Pop coachs London he will take Timmy with him :D

Duncan would be 36...

duncan228
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Duncan is done with international ball even if Pop coaches. He had a lousy experience, and I doubt he'd want to make the 3 year commitment and miss that much time with his family. I see Duncan's focus on nothing but trying to bring home another Title or two before he's done.

baseline bum
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I thought Tim's most famous quote was about the gnomes being out of bounds.

honestfool84
08-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Duncan would be 36...

duncan would still be great

Spurtacus
08-24-2008, 10:43 PM

I thought it was "I've burned all my mana, need a heal!"

duncan228
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Everytime I hear that I have to see it. :lol

SGa9ezemB3o

gospursgojas
08-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Im out of the loop on Duncans gnome commet.... please explain

duncan228
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Im out of the loop on Duncans gnome commet.... please explain

Watch the you tube above. It's a line from a commercial Duncan and Robinson did for Edge Shaving Gel.

m33p0
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
FIBA sucks.

tomtom
08-25-2008, 12:09 AM

vid? I've never seen that haha

duncan228
08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
vid? I've never seen that haha

I haven't seen a video. It was in the press.

NBA culture clashes with FIBA (http://www.livingroom.org.au/olympics/archives/nba_culture_clashes_with_fiba.php)
August 29, 2004

"SHORTLY AFTER THE U.S. Olympic men's basketball team defeated Lithuania, 104-96, in Saturday night's bronze-medal game, coach Larry Brown called for changes in the process of selecting American players for international competition.

Shortly after that, Stu Jackson, chairman of the USA Basketball senior national team, added a few thoughts of his own.

Brown and Jackson are bright men with interesting ideas. Unfortunately for the future of American basketball as practiced on the international stage, at some point Tim Duncan's voice is going to be heard. And here is what Duncan had to say after Saturday's game:

"I'm about 95 percent certain my FIBA career is over," Duncan said. "FIBA sucks."

duncan228
08-25-2008, 12:23 AM
That was most noticeable in how Duncan played. Unable to figure out the officiating and in constant foul trouble, the USA's best player was seldom a major factor. He fouled out of the semifinal loss to Argentina in only 19½ minutes.

"If Tim Duncan knew this was the system and how he was going to be treated in that sense, I think he would have thought seriously about not coming," said U.S. assistant Gregg Popovich, who also coaches Duncan and Ginobili on the Spurs.

A frustrated Duncan, who said that he is 95% sure his FIBA career is over and that "FIBA sucks," was asked if he felt his frustrations would deter other stars from playing in the Olympics. "I hope not," he said, "I'll try not to share my experience with anyone."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/basketball/2004-08-29-mens-hoops_x.htm

DMX7
08-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Haha, I love Tim Duncan!

sprrs
08-25-2008, 02:20 AM
"I hope not," he said, "I'll try not to share my experience with anyone."

:lol Hadn't heard that one before. That's awesome.

cly2tw
08-25-2008, 03:57 AM
"If Tim Duncan knew this was the system and how he was going to be treated in that sense, I think he would have thought seriously about not coming," said U.S. assistant Gregg Popovich, who also coaches Duncan and Ginobili on the Spurs.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/basketball/2004-08-29-mens-hoops_x.htm

What a surprise that the FIBA rules wouldn't change to accommodate the best NBA player for the competition!:downspin:

The Redeem team adjusted to the same FIBA rules and won. It's not like they didn't know coming into the competition that FIBA rules were different when Pop was the assistant coach back then.

texbound
08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
What a surprise that the FIBA rules wouldn't change to accommodate the best NBA player for the competition!:downspin:

The Redeem team adjusted to the same FIBA rules and won. It's not like they didn't know coming into the competition that FIBA rules were different when Pop was the assistant coach back then.

FIBA is now changing some of their rules to closer resemble those in the NBA such as going to a rectangle paint (no longer a trapezoid lane), extending the 3-pt line, having a no charge semi-circle in the paint, and a couple of others to.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/24352/arti.html

spursfan09
08-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Yeah too bad the FIBA rules are irrelevant when the Spurs and Suns meet up. then maybe just maybe the Suns could of finally won a series against the Spurs with Duncan fouled out everygame.

Yuixafun
08-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I thought it was "I've burned all my mana, need a heal!"

Lol.. where is this from?

shaq_h8ter
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
So what was the rule that he kept getting nailed on?

wisnub
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
International basketball is cathcing up with us, everybody knows that...I actually hold my breath all the time during Finals game and if Kobe didnt play the result will be quite similar with last Olympics (Kobe last minutes shot did throw Rudy out of the game and create a cushion. From that point on momentum had changed). I think its start with FIBA rules (Basketball inventor J.N) and then NBA made modification to make the game more interesting and competitive. But i agree with Duncan,FIBA rules sucks. Its just a lil bit weird since I accustomed with NBA rules.

MiamiHeat
08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Wade, olympics MVP and fan favorite of SpursTalk

FromWayDowntown
08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
n/m

remingtonbo2001
08-25-2008, 02:01 PM
"I'm about 95 percent certain my FIBA career is over," Duncan said. "FIBA sucks."

Jordan was 99.9% sure he wasn't coming out of retirment.

95%....

sprrs
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM

So you admit Duncan is the best NBA player? Sun fan has come a long way.

Sissiborgo
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Wade is the man!...