ducks
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
spurs should see how this plays out

spurs could try to trade for him if if he sours on gs

Warriors' Jackson waiting for his turn to get big contract
By Marcus Thompson II
Staff writer
Article Launched: 08/22/2008 08:39:47 PM PDT

PORT ARTHUR, Texas — Warriors swingman Stephen Jackson wants some love, too.

Now that his teammates have been taken care of financially by the Warriors, Jackson — arguably the team's best player heading into next season — is looking for some financial security of his own.

Jackson, 30, has two years and $14.89 million left on his contract, $7.14 million this coming season. With point guard Baron Davis gone, only forward Al Harrington was budgeted to make more — that is until the Warriors started doling out cash this offseason.

Six years, $66 million to guard Monta Ellis. Six years, $54 million to center Andris Biedrins. Five years, $50 million to free-agent swingman Corey Maggette. As a result, Jackson will be the fifth-highest paid player on the roster next season. As far as total contract, he's sixth — behind Ronny Turiaf, who signed a four-year, $17 million free-agent deal.

"It's something I always think about," Jackson said from his basketball camp. "It's definitely something that has to be addressed because of what I do for this team and what I've done since I've been here, bringing this team from one of the bottom teams in the league to a playoff team, to a team that won 49 games. It's not what I want, it's what I deserve. "... I won't be comfortable going into this season knowing I have to play this whole season being the fifth highest-paid and not get an extension. I would not be happy."

Jackson can't jump up the pay scale this season, as the collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow midcontract changes in salary. But he is up for an extension, and he expressed confidence that he would get it.

"I feel real confident that I will have it soon," he said. "I will get something done soon, before the season starts. "... So in the position I'm in now, being the (sixth)-highest paid player, I feel like from the conversations I've had with the team that it won't be like that once the season starts."

The Warriors declined to comment on Jackson's extension possibilities, as per team policy.

Jackson was emphatic about his happiness in being with the Warriors. He said he was excited about the direction of the team and is looking forward to next season.

"Losing B.D. hurt me," Jackson said of Davis. "That's my boy — my brother more than my teammate. But the team we have, I'll definitely be the first to say that we're better than we were last year.

"I think we had what it takes last year," Jackson added, "but at the end of the season we ran out of gas. This year, I don't think we'll have that problem because we're a deeper team, a better team and we've got way more depth inside, way more scoring inside "... we should be straight. With the way we play, it should be easy to get accustomed to our style of play. So it's just all about us getting it done."

Jackson is embracing his expected role as unquestioned team leader. Davis was the focal point of the team and the one most responsible for making plays in crunch time. But with Davis gone, and Ellis still developing, Jackson said he expects to have to shoulder more of the burden, especially on offense and in late-game situations.

To that end, he's spent most of his summer in Port Arthur working on his strength and endurance so his body can withstand what it has coming.

"I've been waiting for this opportunity my whole life," Jackson said. "Every team I've been on, I've always made big shots. I don't mind stepping up and being responsible for whether the team wins or loses. I love it."

whottt
08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
That'd be freaking awesome to get Jack back...he so fits what we need.

Mean article ducks.

Slippy
08-24-2008, 11:52 PM
:flypig

To this day when-ever any info on Sjax comes out I can't help but wonder "what if" Jax was still around or we could get him back.

lefty
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax !!!!

OMG, make it happen !!!!! :hungry::hungry::hungry: :flag:

WildcardManu
08-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Pipe dream

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh man I would just love his energy and attitude back. It's what we need. We've lacked an asshole running his mouth on the court for a long while. :lol

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2008, 01:10 AM
I gues he just wants money...and Spurs can't give him that.

TDMVPDPOY
08-25-2008, 01:26 AM
lol spurs wouldnt even dish out MLE on anyone in FA this summer, what makes you guys think the spurs is going to spend.....

bigdog
08-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Manu for Jack, do it.

Okay okay, I'm kidding on that. I didn't even check to see if salaries match up and blah, blah, blah.

But really if you think about it, Manu might've been in Denver and Jack could still have been here if he wasn't a bonehead and left for Atlanta. Although, I do think he developed into a much greater player away from the Spurs than he could've with the Spurs during that time.

I wish he was still here.

T Park
08-25-2008, 03:58 AM
you'd have to trade ginobili

so I pass.

timtonymanu
08-25-2008, 03:58 AM
if we cant even get pargo over here, how will we get jax? there's already fin, manu, and mason at the guards unless jax moves to forward. but it's a longshot so i wont have any hope for it.

KidCongo
08-25-2008, 04:37 AM
A rumour that the Cavs would trade Snow's expiring and a 1st for him.

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Then we could trade Vaughn + Bonner and our picks for him.

If GS takes Snow for Jax they are really stupid, just like Memphis is.

KidCongo
08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Then we could trade Vaughn + Bonner and our picks for him.

If GS takes Snow for Jax they are really stupid, just like Memphis is.

Exactly, but you never know.

JPB
08-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Reading the article, all Jax is saying is that he's really happy to be a warrior and that he's optimistic about a new contract...

benefactor
08-25-2008, 06:50 AM
After this summer, I would take a long look at a Manu/Capt. Jack trade.

JPB
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
After this summer, I would take a long look at a Manu/Capt. Jack trade.

And why would GS want Manu ?

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 08:41 AM
The man makes love to pressure

urunobili
08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Jax AND Manu together in 2003 were the most dynamic/crazy/creative wings we have ever had on the court together... their chemistry on court was just out of this world... Jax would make us an immediate contender right of the bat... :hope

Yuixafun
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Bring back Speedy Claxton too and Spurs would would be getting their freak on.

Ice009
08-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Come on Warriors piss Jackson off so he can ask to be traded and then trade him to the Spurs please.

koriwhat
08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Jax AND Manu together in 2003 were the most dynamic/crazy/creative wings we have ever had on the court together... their chemistry on court was just out of this world... Jax would make us an immediate contender right of the bat... :hope

we are already an immediate contender right off the bat without jax but like everyone else here i'd welcome him back to dawn the black and silver again.

but unlike some other poster here i wouldn't trade manu for jax nor would i write manu off so quick.

wildbill2u
08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
"...what I do for this team and what I've done since I've been here, bringing this team from one of the bottom teams in the league to a playoff team, to a team that won 49 games. It's not what I want, it's what I deserve. "... I won't be comfortable going into this season knowing I have to play this whole season being the fifth highest-paid and not get an extension. I would not be happy."

Lots more "I" here than team spirit. I'd say that Barron Davis was their best player and without him the Warriors don't do shit. Jax still thinks the world revolves around him.

Capt Bringdown
08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Manu for SJax would be too good to be true.

SequSpur
08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
:lmao

you guys are hilarious

JamStone
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
He can't get mad at being the fifth highest paid player on his team. That's how salaries work. He got a guaranteed contract and now has to shut up and take his $8 million a year. You're a fucking multi millionaire. Tough luck. Just cuz other players are getting their contracts, it doesn't change the fact you have to live up to yours. You'll be 32 years old when your contract is up. Good luck finding a team that's going to give you a $50+ million contract then. As for playing another 6-7 years... yeah ok.

koriwhat
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Manu for SJax would be too good to be true.

uh what? that's ludacris! you's a ho! ho!

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
We'll see how good the Warriors are without Davis...and for that matter how good SJax is.

I see SJax averaging 26 points and the Warriors winning 30-35 games.

bigdog
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
If he wanted to, Jack could be one of the leading scorers in the league. I think he will most likely get an extension done before the season, unless the Warriors don't have him planned for their future. The dude is in his prime right now. If he gets his extension now, his salary won't go up, so I don't know why he's complaining about being the sixth highest paid player on the team. And yes it is sixth highest after the signing of Turiaf.

wisnub
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Capt JAx is freaking awesome, that guy is plain crazy on the court. That will spice up Spurs offense. He also can play as PF in small lineup and can play D as well against big man (see GS vs MAvs game), and suddenly act as a guard on offensive end which lead to the mismatch since big man dont tend to go out to contest 3pts...(i love Mavs upset). The only problem is probably money...Spurs always short when it comes to signing a player (except for Big 3)

MoSpur
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
It would be awesome to get him back. He was my favorite Spur.

50 cent
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
SJax was always my favorite Spur and the reason I picked my 50 cent name.

Trade Manu for SJax and call it a summer.

koriwhat
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
what's with all the trade manu talk? people are so clueless as to write manu off already? what the hell has happened to the fan base?

urunobili
08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
what's with all the trade manu talk? people are so clueless as to write manu off already? what the hell has happened to the fan base?

:cliffjumper

The Franchise
08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Steven Jackson is a good player but he is not worth more than 8 million a year.

SenorSpur
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I rue the day he left for free agency.