PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stock Show and Rodeo

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
New Price Structure Angers Rodeo Vendors
LAST UPDATE: 2/8/2005 11:53:31 AM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth

Concessionaires at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo are complaining that they are being forced to raise prices for everything from hot dogs to tacos, but the company that holds the concession contract says it is making less as well.

This year the Stock Show board awarded the concessions contract to Philadelphia based Aramark Corporation, which also handles the concessions contract for the San Antonio Spurs. Previously SportService of Dayton Ohio had managed stock show concessions.

Part of the deal is calls for vendors to give up 50% of their income to the stock show and the concessionaire. The previous deal put that figure at 35%.

"We're gong to have to leave as a vendor," one taco stand operator told 1200 WOAI's Bob Branson. "At this price, I just can't stay here. We're going to have to move on, and go to another rodeo.

Other stand operators said they are having to lay off employees and raise prices. A taco that cost $2.50 last year costs $4 at this year's rodeo.

"I think what's going to happen eventually is that people are not going to come back," one onion blossom retailer said.

But Aramark District Manager Louis Keefe says the proceeds are not going to his company, but are going to the stock show, for scholarships.

He says SportService took 12% of the profits of concessionaires, with 23% going to the stock show. Under the new agreement, the rodeo gets 40%, with 10% going to Aramark.

"This is a great opportunity for them (the concessionaires) to reach hundreds of thousands of people," Keefe said.

He said Aramark has not 'told' any concessionaires to raise their prices, as some claimed, but simply explained to them the price structure they might want to adopt to deal with the new contract.

Keefe says all soda and soft drink prices are remaining uniform across all the concessionaires, to prevent undercutting.

Aramark has a ten year contract with the stock show. The vast majority of the stock show's profits go to scholarship programs.

===============
I'm not familiar with the Rodeo - what are all the scholarships for? It seems to me that another family friendly activity will no longer be so friendly. Who can afford to take their family with prices like that?

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2005, 05:01 PM
The "rodeo" group (S.A.L.E.) is a volunteer organization with about 4000 volunteers and less than 30 full time staff. Virtually all the activitys on the grounds are managed and staffed by volunteers. S.A.L.E. gave away 6.1 million in scholarships and endowments in 2004 from money raised during the show. The bulk of this money is in the form of grants to schools...for example UTSA and SAC get block grants to their financial aid offices which then match students to the available scholarship money.

As far as the vendors complaining, this is the first rent increase in years...naturally they are going to complain, but there are approximately 1.1 million visitors to the grounds and those guys are doing well even at the new rent structure...I know that the onion guy quoted in the article is clearing about 5 grand a day so don't feel TOO sorry for him...

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Aramark is a bunch of crooks.

sbsquared
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Considering what concessions cost at Spurs Games and now the Rodeo, I'd guess Aramark is making a pretty penny!

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I have to admit I am not very fond of Aramark either...the service in the Saddles & Spurs club is surly, understaffed, and slow...I had to wait in line for 20 minutes the other night just to get a couple of drinks...Unfortunately that is who the Spurs picked and we are stuck with them...

Useruser666
02-08-2005, 05:49 PM
That and the prices are out of this world.

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Size 23 Shoe

Spurswoman...

http://course1.winona.msus.edu/pjohnson/h140/studentsf01/blazingsaddles/blazin4.jpg

izzz it twooo what zey say?

SpursWoman
02-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Spurswoman...

izzz it twooo what zey say?

:drunk :spin :smokin

CosmicCowboy
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
:drunk :spin :smokin

hmmm...so if you get crosseyed drunk and stoned you can at least pretend its twooo?..:lol

SequSpur
02-08-2005, 11:51 PM
When I go to the rodeo next week, I am going to walk right on by those stands, because I ain't paying more than a dollar for a taco.

johnny00
02-09-2005, 08:17 AM
When I go to the rodeo next week, I am going to walk right on by those stands, because I ain't paying more than a dollar for a taco.
Then you better eat before you get there. The only thing you can get for a dollar at the rodeo is an ice cream cup.

ididnotnothat
02-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I take my own food.

Flea
02-09-2005, 09:12 AM
I HAVE to get the onion blossom. I don't care how much it costs.

Useruser666
02-09-2005, 09:21 AM

I thought kids ate free?

CosmicCowboy
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
The best food deals out there:

1) the chicken fried steak sandwich trailer between the exhibit hall and Horse Barn 5 (Horse Center)...cheap/good breakfasts and the steak sandwiches are excellent...they also do a plate dinner if you don't want your CFS on a bun...this place is famous among the people that work out there...

2) The chicken and dumplings at the Fajita corral...a jumbo sized (16oz?) styrofoam cup/glass of homemade c&d for a little over $3...

The nightly buffet at the Frontier Club is incredible but you have to me a member...:p

T Park
02-09-2005, 10:47 AM
50% haha, I wish thats all I had to pay in my grosses at the rodeo. I pay more than that, and I dont make as much money as the food guys do.

Hook Dem
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I HAVE to get the onion blossom. I don't care how much it costs.
Bring $7

Flea
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Bring $7

DANG!!!

Oh well.