PDA

View Full Version : Names 101

nsrammstein
08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
If you have any children in the future what are some of the names you are thinking of?

If I have any male children these are the names that are coming to mind:
Alexander
Mikhail
Estefano
Ulrik
Benjamin
Cristiano

IronMexican
08-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Armando
Jose
Juan
Gustavo
Juan-Jose
Pablo
Miguel
Rafael
Cuaotemoc
Luis
Jose-Luis
Francisco
Christian

pawe
08-25-2008, 01:57 AM
our first child (baby boy) will be born on the last week of oct or the 1st week of november and my wife and I agreed on the name Matthew Ethan.

anakha
08-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Just a question.

Do you subscribe to the idea that the ethnicity of a person's first and last names must match?

For example, if a baby is to take on a Spanish last name, should his/her first name be Spanish, too?

nsrammstein
08-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Just a question.

Do you subscribe to the idea that the ethnicity of a person's first and last names must match?

For example, if a baby is to take on a Spanish last name, should his/her first name be Spanish, too?

I don't believe in that and I hate that theory

AlamoSpursFan
08-25-2008, 03:02 AM
GKrf26MftNg&hl=en&fs=1"

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 03:10 AM
I like the name Aragon from LOTR if I'm spelling it right. I also like Luke.

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Armando
Jose
Juan
Gustavo
Juan-Jose
Pablo
Miguel
Rafael
Cuaotemoc
Luis
Jose-Luis
Francisco
Christian

I guess there isn't much originality in Spanish names eh? Not being sarcastic either.

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Just a question.

Nah I hate that but I think it should match the last name. I saw a thread in other forum where this woman named her kid "Erika Eugene" and it made me want to punch her.

My last name is Phillips so I'd want something to go well with it.

pawe
08-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Just a question.

it would be funny if im going to name my kid Procopio Palakol if we're gonna sway that way. :lol

nsrammstein
08-25-2008, 03:26 AM
i think Estefano or Cristiano would match my last name very well

Borosai
08-25-2008, 03:52 AM
If my kids are good looking:
Ariel
Gaston

If they are trollish little shits:
Ursula
Quasi

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 03:58 AM
If my kids are good looking:
Ariel
Gaston

If they are trollish little shits:
Ursula
Quasi

Ariel is a pretty name. My gf wants to name her daughter that if she has kids.

Borosai
08-25-2008, 04:11 AM

Yeah, that's the only one I was serious about. It's a nice name, even when pronounced with different language accents (or at least the ones I care about). It sucks to pick names that sound natural in one language and odd in the rest.

Leetonidas
08-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Daughter:

Juno
Lucia

Son:

Achilles

Oh yeah.

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah, that's the only one I was serious about. It's a nice name, even when pronounced with different language accents (or at least the ones I care about). It sucks to pick names that sound natural in one language and odd in the rest.

Well I think they'll pronounce them different in other languages regardless. Even Quasi. :lol

smeagol
08-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Seven

(before anybody else says it)

Brutalis
08-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Seven

Nice. Then you can name your other eleven.

spursfan09
08-25-2008, 07:25 AM
I like the name Aragon from LOTR if I'm spelling it right. I also like Luke.

Aragorn. with a R, but sounds more like you spelled it.

My names:

Alyssa if its a girl

patrick for a boy.

AlamoSpursFan
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Seven

http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=7621

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
For boys I like very basic names: Mark, David, Paul, etc. Plus I think they mix well with ethnic last names. If I had a very Spanish last name I would named my son Esteban, I just love that name.

Sunshine
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Sadly there are no more babies in my future, BUT if I were to have more kids

boys:
Nolan
Christian
Stephen
with Alexander as the middle name for all

girls:
Emily Grace
Annie Elizabeth
Johanna Elizabeth

I've always leaned toward more traditional names rather than trendy or made up names. And I'm also a firm believer that you should use the name you want your child called as their first name. My mom and her 3 siblings all went by their middle names and they all complained that from the time they started school and thru adulthood, it was a pain to have to explain that they go by their middle name. And while I'm up on my soap box, let me add that spelling a name "creatively" to be different can backfire too. I have a girlfriend who named her kids Danniele and Sydnea and bitches constantly because people can't spell their names "right". Plus, they can't go into WalMart and buy pens with their names imprinted on them.

AlamoSpursFan
08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Plus, they can't go into WalMart and buy pens with their names imprinted on them.

Little ASF's name is Evelyn. VERY RARELY do I find anything with her name imprinted. You should see some of the goofy names that they do imprint, though.

ALVAREZ6
08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Just a question.

Emanuel Ginobili
Andres Nocioni
Carlos Delfino

Sunshine
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Little ASF's name is Evelyn. VERY RARELY do I find anything with her name imprinted. You should see some of the goofy names that they do imprint, though.

I love that name! And I bet she doesn't have 5 Evelyn's in her class every year either. Little Miss Sunshine's name is Sophia, and though we have found things with her name on them, she's yet to have another Sophia in her class and we've only met 2 or 3 other girls with the same name.

mavs>spurs2
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
i've always liked the name marissa for a female. not sure if it's a boy

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
My wife and i are planning to have a baby next year and we have already decided :lol

Boy - Reuben

Girl - Isabel

ashbeeigh
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I was watching the Olympics and saw an American swimmer named Kara Lynn. I loved the way that flowed. It was really cute. Right now I'm with:

Kara-Lynn Rose
Danielle Reese
Amelia Jane
Olivia Elaine
Emma Grace
Rachael Kate

Leighton Ryan
Samuel Mark
Matthew James for the abnormal one.
Christopher John (when I read this it was like an episode of Scrubs...Turk and JD....but I like it)

I'm all for traditional names as well. And obviously need some more boy names to be even if I'm going to have TEN kids.

angel_luv
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I call the following names! :)
Chloe Lynn
Veronica Nicole ( will call her Nikki)
Sarah Kathryn
Joseph Michael
Bo Jr. ( Little Bo. :) )

Not necessarily in that order. Granted I really need five boys names and five girl names, since I don't know which the five kids I want are going to be.
Hopefully, I have at least one of each.

I also like the name Edward as a middle name.
And I told our pastor at church we might name a kid after him. So there's another middle name for a boy, Brandon.

For a boy:
Timothy David ( am calling it!)

For girls:
I also like Elizabeth Jane and Elinor Joy ( I call those too.)

angel_luv
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Nice. Then you can name your other eleven.

My sister wanted to name her baby Eleven- thankfully the drugs wore off.

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
....... And I'm also a firm believer that you should use the name you want your child called as their first name. My mom and her 3 siblings all went by their middle names and they all complained that from the time they started school and thru adulthood, it was a pain to have to explain that they go by their middle name......That's me. I don't even know why my parents bothered with my first name, I have never been addressed by it. It's been an inconvenience my entire life. I think I'd be more understanding if my names were used to honor someone they knew, but not even!

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
......I also like the name Edward as a middle name.

My youngest son's middle name is Edward after my dad.

ashbeeigh
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that a guy started this thread?

angel_luv
08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
My youngest son's middle name is Edward after my dad.

I think Edward is a fantastic name- so authorative and royal.

My adopted Dad's name was Joseph.

His first name was Rovel, but I am sure he wouldn't want me to name my son that.
When my dad was a kid, he got teased by his classmates and called Rover instead of Rovel.

And yes, Ashbeeigh, it is unusual that a guy started this thread.
But props to him. :)

Melmart1
08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
All the firstborn girls in my family have the middle name "Ann" so something that goes well with that and my husband's last name for a girl. Since I haven't met my husband yet and haven't begun to make his life miserable, we will just have to wait and see what name goes well.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Dude's names:

Alessandro - Sandro

Emilio - Emo

Cesare - pronounced chez a ray

Dario

Fedele

Loris

Argiebabe
08-25-2008, 02:20 PM
If it's a girl:
Catalina
Candela
Lucia
Bianca
Lucila

For a boy:
Felipe
Luca
Valentin
Santiago

ashbeeigh
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
If it's a girl:
Catalina
Candela
Lucia
Bianca
Lucila

For a boy:
Felipe
Luca
Valentin
Santiago

Very Argentinian/Italian :tu I love Lucila and Catalina.

Argiebabe
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Very Argentinian/Italian I love Lucila and Catalina.
Yes!!! me too Catalina sounds really sweet.

haha, my boyfriend is next to me reading this and you should see his face!
I had to explain that we are not going to have a baby anytime soon, at least for a couple of years...but he agrees on the names specially for a boy.

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Adriano for men
Adriana for girl

Sunshine
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
That's me. I don't even know why my parents bothered with my first name, I have never been addressed by it. It's been an inconvenience my entire life. I think I'd be more understanding if my names were used to honor someone they knew, but not even!

Well, my mom was Myrtle Elizabeth and went by Liz her entire life. MYRTLE!!! And it wasn't to honor a family member, they just named her Myrtle!

When I was grown and could get away with it, I'd say "What's shakin' Myrt?" when ever she answered her phone. :lol

Sp Ginobili 20
08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I like names that could pass for a boy or a girl. Something like Logan or Peyton.

manufor3
08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
if boys then:
miles
christian
ryan
travis
will

Dex
08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I won't tell you, because then you all will steal it!

Dex
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
if boys then:
miles
christian
ryan
travis
will

My brother and his wife recently had an adorable baby boy named Miles. I think it's a great name, and I'm pretty sure as the Uncle, he'll forever be Milo to me.

ashbeeigh
08-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I won't tell you, because then you all will steal it!

You can always call dibs.

Jules
08-25-2008, 06:57 PM
If you have any children in the future what are some of the names you are thinking of?

Alexander
Mikhail
Estefano
Ulrik
Benjamin
Cristiano

Our baby is due in Feb. We haven't discussed female names yet, but I've suggested Dorian for a boy and he likes the names Liam and Cavin.

angel_luv
08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Our baby is due in Feb. We haven't discussed female names yet, but I've suggested Dorian for a boy and he likes the names Liam and Cavin.

How wonderful! Congratulations! :)

Ariel
08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I remember being a kid, and finding out some girlie movie character had been given my name... boy did that suck. In latin countries, and almost everywhere else, Ariel is a boy's name.

Bigzax
08-26-2008, 12:40 AM
catalina is cool, but reminds me of salma's goodies in desperado...

my next kid if i'm so blessed shall be named Sarah or Isaiah...

Dario
03-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Dorian sound like dork, you have to name it Darijan, much cooler (my name):king

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Good bump. Congrats Jules! :)

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I picked my daughters name...( Lacey)

cherylsteele
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Alexander
Mikhail
Estefano
Ulrik
Benjamin
Cristiano
A boy named sue? :D

smeagol
03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm having a baby in September.

Me and the wife are going to hit the internets for fancy names . . .

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Congrats! :)

smeagol
03-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Congrats! :)

Thanks!

That is # 4.

After him/her we are closing the factory (or so my wife says . . . )

sa_butta
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Congrats man, My wife and I have our pair and we are done.

Arron Rafe
and
Adriana Luz

SpursWoman
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats, smeagol & Mrs. smeagol! :cheer

I'd go with:

girl: Caitlin
boy: Iain

Because, well, I did. :lol

mrose31
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I am not too suprised a guy started this. I just found out a week ago that I was going to be a dad again. Luckily our first child was a girl and my wife and had found several girl names that we liked. There were no male names that we really liked or agreed on. So I have been looking already to find a boy name we could both like just in case even though we don't know the sex yet. I am still looking can't find anything I like. I do have a spanish last name but don't really like most of common spanish names. I am hoping we can think of something like we did for my daughter not common but still simple.

smeagol
03-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Congrats man, My wife and I have our pair and we are done.

Arron Rafe
and
Adriana Luz

Emma Marisa
Mia
Mateo

I'm hoping for another boy.

smeagol
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Congrats, smeagol & Mrs. smeagol! :cheer

I'd go with:

girl: Caitlin
boy: Iain

Because, well, I did. :lol

Thanks SW.

We haven't even started debating the topic.

My wife feels like crap . . .

easjer
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Boys, in the order we would use them:

Gabriel Ross
Noah Christopher
Alexander David
Matthew Scott

Girls in the order we would use them:

Gwendolyn Rose
Amelia Sophia
Olivia Abigail
Madeline Leah

Of course that was back when we thought we'd have 4 kids. A miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy later, I'm not convinced we'll have any. It's been a shitty year.

easjer
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks SW.

We haven't even started debating the topic.

My wife feels like crap . . .

Congratulations - I hope your wife feels better soon.

desflood
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
It's surprising how difficult it can be to name a baby! My middle son is named after my grandfather, but he almost wasn't just because my grandpa's name, while unusual for his time, is now used commonly for both boys and girls and we didn't want to seem like we were just riding the popularity wave.

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks!

That is # 4.

After him/her we are closing the factory (or so my wife says . . . )

:)

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Boys, in the order we would use them:

Gabriel Ross
Noah Christopher
Alexander David
Matthew Scott

Girls in the order we would use them:

Gwendolyn Rose
Amelia Sophia
Olivia Abigail
Madeline Leah

Of course that was back when we thought we'd have 4 kids. A miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy later, I'm not convinced we'll have any. It's been a shitty year.

I hope you are able to have a baby through pregnancy.

It would be neat if you and SFIE also adopted a kid, since the kid would win the parent lottery. :)

easjer
03-06-2009, 02:01 PM
It's something we will look into down the road if we cannot get pregnant on our own. But adoption is expensive and there are no guarantees, and after watching my friend go through the heartache of a match and last minute change of heart/failed adoption, it's not my first choice. We are a long, long way from being able to afford a domestic adoption, or an international adoption, for that matter.

So far, everyone thinks we've just had bad luck. I hope that is true.

I believe we'll be parents someday, but I'm not feeling optimistic about our odds of it happening soon today.

Summers
03-06-2009, 02:04 PM

There's a girl in my son's class named September.

pkbpkb81
03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
my kids names are Madison (the wife picked it), Hayden, and Audrey

smeagol
03-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Don't lose the faith.

I have many friends for whom it was hard to get pregnant, but eventually hey all did.

One couple had multiple ectopic pregnancies and they finally made it two years ago.

Have faith . . .

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I am not too suprised a guy started this. I just found out a week ago that I was going to be a dad again. .

Congrats to you too!

easjer
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Don't lose the faith.

I have many friends for whom it was hard to get pregnant, but eventually hey all did.

One couple had multiple ectopic pregnancies and they finally made it two years ago.

Have faith . . .

Some days are easier than others. Today is a :depressed day.

I was lucky that the ectopic was cervical rather than tubal, because it shouldn't impact my fertility and it was discovered and treated before I could hemorrhage. And these days, I had options - even 20 years ago, I likely would have ended up with a hysterectomy.

Yesterday was a good day. Tomorrow may be too. I know we'll be parents, I just no longer know what route will take us there.

desflood
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
And for the love of humanity, if you have a girl, please do not name her Dackaree.

Yep, that's a real name I heard the other day. Pronounced like daiquiri, the drink.

David Bowie
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Nah I hate that but I think it should match the last name. I saw a thread in other forum where this woman named her kid "Erika Eugene" and it made me want to punch her.

My last name is Phillips so I'd want something to go well with it.

Did you ever think it may be cultural?

My name is Veronica Arthur (and I love the name Arthur by the way)

I am Russian. And in Russian culture, you take your father's name to be your middle name.

And by the way, Eugene is a very common Russian/Eastern European name. (Although it's pronounced differently there.)

Back to the subject,

I like the name David for a boy and Nicole for a girl.

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Did you ever think it may be cultural?

My name is Veronica Arthur (and I love the name Arthur by the way)

I am Russian. And in Russian culture, you take your father's name to be your middle name.

And by the way, Eugene is a very common Russian/Eastern European name. (Although it's pronounced differently there.)

Back to the subject,

I like the name David for a boy and Nicole for a girl.

My name is Veronica too. :)

David Bowie
03-06-2009, 03:01 PM
My name is Veronica too. :)

I know :) I've been reading these boards for a long time. And I've nejoyed your posts. I've only met a handfull of people named Veronica in real life.

I think it's a pretty popular name in France though.

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I know :) I've been reading these boards for a long time. And I've nejoyed your posts. I've only met a handfull of people named Veronica in real life.

I think it's a pretty popular name in France though.

Thanks.

I have only known a few Veronicas too.

When I was visiting Germany I learned that they spell our name with a "k" instead of a "c".

easjer
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
If you've never seen it:

www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com - the Bad Baby Names section and/or the forums.

Fantastic, hilarious reading.

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
And for the love of humanity, if you have a girl, please do not name her Dackaree.

Yep, that's a real name I heard the other day. Pronounced like daiquiri, the drink.

Just saw on yahoo.com

Rapper M.I.A. Names Her Baby Boy "Ickett"

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/m-i-a-names-her-baby-boy-ickett/19703?nc

easjer
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
My friend's little girl is Veronika - her father is German. They call her Nika for short.

angel_luv
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
My friend's little girl is Veronika - her father is German. They call her Nika for short.

That's cute!