PDA

View Full Version : Overboard HOA?

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.htm l

Frisco man says HOA won't let him park pickup on driveway

01:32 PM CDT on Monday, August 18, 2008
By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV (Channel 8)
[email protected]

If there's one thing Texans are serious about, it's pickups.

But a Frisco man says his truck is being targeted simply because his homeowners association doesn't think it's classy enough.

Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Mr. Greenwood, you're violating a subdivision rule that prohibits pickup trucks in your driveway," the notice reads.

Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted.

"It's very frustrating and confusing. It's hard to imagine how an HOA would try to dictate what type of vehicle you can drive and park in your driveway," Mr. Greenwood said.

Bill Osborn of the HOA board said the association also prohibits boats, trailers, golf carts and RVs in driveways.

"The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

Mr. Greenwood appealed, claiming his Ford F-150 isn't much different from the Lincoln Mark LT.

"The response was: 'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,' " he said.

"Furthermore, one board member told my wife that if we don't like it, we can move."

HOA officials said that many Stonebriar homeowners own pickups but that they abide by the rules and keep them parked in their garages.

"A Chevy Suburban can be in the driveway," Mr. Greenwood said. "If we had a big Hummer, that could be in the driveway. If we had a Lincoln Mark LT, that could be in the driveway. But a Ford F-150 can't.

"That doesn't make sense."

McKinney Ford dealer Bob Tomes agreed. In Texas, he said, truck owners should have the right to park their pickups on their driveways – even in a gated community.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe he should have read the bylaws before buying the house.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
My neighborhood doesn't allow any type of vehicle to be parked in the driveways but unfortunately my truck won't fit in the garage.

The lots in my 'hood are all at least an acre in size and so I just move the truck around on my property a lot and I think the HOA must just think it's a service vehicle of some sort because I haven't received a notice yet.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Where do the lawn mower guys park?

ashbeeigh
08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Maybe he should have read the bylaws before buying the house.

+10000

People are lame sometimes.

JoeChalupa
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I must be lame because I've always thought driveways were made to park vehicles. I'm assuming visitors must park in the street?

But yeah, you have to read the constitution of the HOA before you buy a home. But we don't have one to worry about.

ORION
08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
If he knew that prior to purchasing it then he is asking for it, but that is still a stupid as rule. I bet it would be cool for him to park a GMC Sierra there.

Trainwreck2100
08-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Where do the lawn mower guys park?

on the street

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I must be lame because I've always thought driveways were made to park vehicles. I'm assuming visitors must park in the street?

But yeah, you have to read the constitution of the HOA before you buy a home. But we don't have one to worry about.

Most HOAs make the rule effective after a certain time, like midnight. Ours even has a rule that you can't keep your garage door open for more than half an hour...another one that I tend to ignore. I'm from Texas so my garage is basically the husband room and so I'm going to keep the door to my room open if I want to.

thispego
08-25-2008, 04:06 PM
LMFAO - I would love to be in this guys' position. I would be cold and dead before I paid one cent of any fine they gave me for parking my own truck in my own driveway. People who abide by these rules and those who try to enforce them are the ones who are LAME.

Chief
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
LMFAO - I would love to be in this guys' position. I would be cold and dead before I paid one cent of any fine they gave me for parking my own truck in my own driveway. People who abide by these rules and those who try to enforce them are the ones who are LAME.

I second that, what the fuck is HOA thinking ? Sending out notices to cut ur lawn are fine, but parking a brand new pickup is not allowed in the driveway beacuse it's a ford ? These people have too much fuckin time on their hands.

ChumpDumper
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I think the HOA usually wins such cases if they go to court.

thispego
08-25-2008, 05:05 PM
i guess the story doesn't say whether he just moved to the neighborhood or if he had been living there. Obviously he doesn't have a leg to stand on if he just moved but that doesn't mean it's not bullshit...

and the reasons the HOA gives...
"The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

"The response was: 'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,' " he said.

ok.... if I ever get really drunk one night and feel like being destructive i know what neighborhood to visit.

JoeChalupa
08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess my 1996 Saturn would not be welcome.

ORION
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I guess my 1996 Saturn would not be welcome.

depends if it has rims or not

I. Hustle
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
You think that's rough? My HOA doesn't allow me to leave the windows open when I walk aroundin the buff.

RashoFan
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
any HOA rules like that here in SA? Texas is indeed "Truck Country" and I have a Ford Ranger. I don't want to move to any of those communities

Dex
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Fucking richers.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. But the way our system works, if that rule was written and presented to him in contract when he signed that Homeowner's Agreement, then this guy has absolutely no case.

Anybody who has dealt with HOAs in the past knows that no matter how ridiculous their rules may seem, it's their responsibility to set them and they usually get away with it. The only way he is going to get his way is if he is willing to convince the entire board to change the rule, which is going to depend more on his persuasiveness and less on the legality of the situation.

Like Chump said, if he takes it to court, he's going to lose and probably pay an assload of lawyer fees in the effort. He'd be better off parking the truck on the curb and paying his fines, or moving to a different neighborhood and reading the contract a little better next time.

Dex
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
any HOA rules like that here in SA? Texas is indeed "Truck Country" and I have a Ford Ranger. I don't want to move to any of those communities

Nothing quite that bad.

Our HOA won't allow basketball goals visible in front of your house. You can have one, but you have to put it away in your garage and out of sight if you do.

They will also leave a lovely little notice on your door if you don't pull far enough into your driveway and are blocking the sidewalk with your car.

Hard to believe you have to pay money every month for somebody to make stupid rules for your own house.

Clandestino
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM

no, before you died, you would already be on the street. we have foreclosed on homeowner's who don't abide by rules, nor pay the fines.

HOA's win almost all the time.

Clandestino
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Nothing quite that bad.

Our HOA won't allow basketball goals visible in front of your house. You can have one, but you have to put it away in your garage and out of sight if you do.

They will also leave a lovely little notice on your door if you don't pull far enough into your driveway and are blocking the sidewalk with your car.

Hard to believe you have to pay money every month for somebody to make stupid rules for your own house.

not really... drive to the neighborhoods where they don't have HOAs. people park their cars on the lawn, paint their house fucked up colors and basically turn your place in a ghetto.

Dex
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
not really... drive to the neighborhoods where they don't have HOAs. people park their cars on the lawn, paint their house fucked up colors and basically turn your place in a ghetto.

True story.

exstatic
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM

I second that, what the fuck is HOA thinking ? Sending out notices to cut ur lawn are fine, but parking a brand new pickup is not allowed in the driveway beacuse it's a ford ? These people have too much fuckin time on their hands.

You two don't understand what a fucking HOA is, do you? There is no fine. If you don't comply, they can seize and sell your house. Protest that.

The moral of the story is do your due diligence before you buy. They give you the rules. It's usually a thick binder. Read them anyway. If you don't like them, don't buy. They won't change the rules or make exceptions for you.

Das Texan
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM

thats a gross exaggeration.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Not really.

exstatic
08-25-2008, 09:49 PM
thats a gross exaggeration.

Not really.

The neighborhood behind the townhouse where I used to live had one gentleman with a school bus parked in his back yard. Sometimes the alternatives to a HOA are worse than a HOA.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not against HOAs if that's what you've signed up for, but the neighborhood I currently live in doesn't have one. The homes run from $120-200. There are a few poorly kept lawns and some questionable fencing (although if you let your grass or branches grow to crazy lengths you hear from the city) but other than that I'm pretty comfortable with the value of my home. I'm not expecting to attract anyone looking to drop $250-$300K when I sell my home... so I don't think our potential buyers will be the types to care if there's a house a block away with half a yard of mud and some untrimmed hedges, or (god forbid) a basketball goal in their driveway.

I'm guessing a lot of Dallas neighborhoods don't have HOAs... In the Lakewood area you have some neighborhoods with $600K homes two blocks away from $100K homes and the upkeep varies greatly from block to block.

SequSpur
08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
we can't park boats, rvs and work trucks and shit in front of our houses...thats about it and you have to have your lawn mowed, its cool but a waste of money.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
no, before you died, you would already be on the street. we have foreclosed on homeowner's who don't abide by rules, nor pay the fines.

HOA's win almost all the time.

You two don't understand what a fucking HOA is, do you? There is no fine. If you don't comply, they can seize and sell your house. Protest that.

The moral of the story is do your due diligence before you buy. They give you the rules. It's usually a thick binder. Read them anyway. If you don't like them, don't buy. They won't change the rules or make exceptions for you.

I'm talking about if he was already living there and then this rule was made up.

I would have to be killed before I left my house.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Eh, it's Frisco so his neighborhood was probably built three years ago.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
well if we're all assuming that he failed to read the rules of the HOA then I guess thats that

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I'd still like to see a fight though because it's a pretty douchy rule. At least maybe it will cause people to reflect on some of the stupid bullshit they care about.

Melmart1
08-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm curious about a scenario thispego brought up. What if he signed on, thinking that he could park his truck in the driveway, then a year or something after he bought the house, they made up the rules about what you can or can't park in the driveway? Would he have some sort of recourse here, or is he just stuck like chuck, even though he read the rules of the HOA when he moved there and no such rule existed?

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
lol, the truck is brand fucking new!

08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
HOA's usually have meetings and votes on this type of thing. If most people park their pickups in the garage, then it sounds like he's in the minority.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
The real kicker was the Obama bumper sticker.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

-Bill Osborn, HOA

tlongII
08-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I park my truck in the front yard.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
HOA's usually have meetings and votes on this type of thing. If most people park their pickups in the garage, then it sounds like he's in the minority.

:rolleyes

08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I park my truck in the back yard.

I pay $90/year and it takes care of lighting fees and snow removal. What the hell would you pay $ for in TX?

08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
:rolleyes

No idea what your point is.

Par for the course?

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
They have quarterly meetings, open to the public, every resident is notified. All proposed changes/additions to the covenent are disclosed and voted upon, then the recorded minutes and changes are provided to all residents. So the only way to make a challenge would be to prove that the rules were changed without notifying everyone.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM

I seriosuly SERIOUSLY doubt that the majority of rational minded residents of any neighborhood would vote to prohibit any car not a luxury vehicle from parking in driveways.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:45 PM

I pay $90/year and it takes care of lighting fees and snow removal. What the hell would you pay $ for in TX?

yeah it must suck to live in michigan.

08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I seriosuly SERIOUSLY doubt that the majority of rational minded residents of any neighborhood would vote to prohibit any car not a luxury vehicle from parking in driveways.

How many people go to those meetings? A majority of the people present probably isn't that much.

Did you miss this line in the story?

HOA officials said that many Stonebriar homeowners own pickups but that they abide by the rules and keep them parked in their garages.

Just sounds like a guy who didn't keep up with or pay attention to his HOA rules and regs who is bitching after the fact.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
They have quarterly meetings, open to the public, every resident is notified. All proposed changes/additions to the covenent are disclosed and voted upon, then the recorded minutes and changes are provided to all residents. So the only way to make a challenge would be to prove that the rules were changed without notifying everyone.

and only the ones who show up get to vote? :rolleyes send the ballots to every address in the neighborhood... is this a bad idea?

08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
yeah it must suck to live in michigan.

Not really.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Neighborhood pools, events. Nice floral arrangements at the entrance of the neighborhood. Or, if you're in Frisco, a moat and a gated entrance with 24-hour security guards granting visitor access.

08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Neighborhood pools, events. Nice floral arrangements at the entrance of the neighborhood. Or, if you're in Frisco, a moat and a gated entrance with 24-hour security guards granting visitor access.

Ah, makes sense.

I'd imagine it isn't cheap.

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM

I agree but that's what apparently happened. I live in a neighborhood of majority rational residents and the main reason ridiculous things get passed or upheld is because of apathy. Like 15% attendance rate at the quarterly meetings. And when you buy the house, part of your paperwork is one of those "by proxy" vote forms that allows the board to vote for you if you don't cast a ballot. All the power ends up in a few person's hands. And if those few hands all belong to idiots.....

exstatic
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm curious about a scenario thispego brought up. What if he signed on, thinking that he could park his truck in the driveway, then a year or something after he bought the house, they made up the rules about what you can or can't park in the driveway? Would he have some sort of recourse here, or is he just stuck like chuck, even though he read the rules of the HOA when he moved there and no such rule existed?

I've lived in my house for 8+ years and there haven't been any HOA changes in that time. With such a weird rule, it had to be in the original covenants.

Go to the meetings. Vote. If they pass shit you don't like, you can suck it up, defy them and have them sell your house, or sell and move. That pretty much covers it.

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
and only the ones who show up get to vote? :rolleyes send the ballots to every address in the neighborhood... is this a bad idea?

In our neighborhood the ballots are sent to everyone. Also about 15% get returned.

Bigzax
08-25-2008, 10:52 PM
they ain't told me shit about trigger yet...(my 93 lumina with 220k+ miles on it) but other than some paint touch ups, the shit don't look too bad...so they can kiss my ass until i get surved sum paypus...

so while my car brings their home values down, my house brings their home values up, so h-o-a, h-o-a, h-o-a's can eat a big fat deyick...fo shizzle my nizzles...

now...

i'm wondering if they are gonna give me any shit for late night tokin in the driveway...oh well...rather hear the bitchin from hoa than the wifey...:smokin

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

:lmao seriously this is waaayyy fucked up. you are .. well i cant even think of anything awful enough to call you if you believe this kind of shit is acceptable.

08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
In our neighborhood the ballots are sent to everyone. Also about 15% get returned.

We have to be present to vote, which is one block away at a Boys & Girls Club. They usually get 10 people out of 75 homes.

Melmart1
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I realize that rules are rules, but this whole thing seems fairly bogus to me. Without seeing a copy of the HOA agreement, it is hard to say for sure, but it sounds like all pickups are banned, but with exceptions that HOA board allows, based solely on perception and nothing else ('It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people').

Rules being made up on the basis of individual perception about car marketing?!?! Surely he has a case here, right? This smacks of bias and selective application of the rules, which one would think is able to be challenged.

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:57 PM

at least they get the chance

thispego
08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
We have to be present to vote, which is one block away at a Boys & Girls Club. They usually get 10 people out of 75 homes.

10 people get to make the decisions for the whole neighborhood?!?!?! fucking elitists man ya'll are crazy. Damn that is just creepy. do ya'll pull stupid shit like this too?? That is fucked up :lmao

Bigzax
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
funny...the hoa on delgado and zazamora only has the rule that you are to protect the widowed abuelitas from the poor dollar pinching pendejos that need a beer...

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
10 people get to make the decisions for the whole neighborhood?!?!?! fucking elitists man ya'll are crazy. Damn that is just creepy. do ya'll pull stupid shit like this too?? That is fucked up :lmao

There is an elected board that gets to vote for everyone else. But at election time, if the same level of apathy exists, some neighborhood fuckwad could nominate himself and probably get on the board without any challenge.

Slydragon
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
So in the land of the free, Some people can't park there truck in there driveway or paint there house neon pink? The very house they are paying for? I would understand if someone let you stay there for free then O-hell yea I will follow rules but your own damn house.

Bigzax
08-25-2008, 11:10 PM
dudes...find me a pink or purple house in stoneoak and i'll give you the win...

08-25-2008, 11:11 PM

If people don't show up for the vote when they've been repeatedly informed, then the blame lies on the people who don't show up, no?

It's apathy/indifference sprinkled with a little whiny bitch syndrome.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
There is an elected board that gets to vote for everyone else. But at election time, if the same level of apathy exists, some neighborhood fuckwad could nominate himself and probably get on the board without any challenge.

Like Bob Osborn?

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 11:15 PM
dudes...find me a pink or purple house in stoneoak and i'll give you the win...

Ha! We have so many HOA nazi's out here that if one board of your fence doesn't match the stain of every other board you will definitely hear about it!! Happened to me just last week. Apparently the excuse of "My son fixed the fence the very day it was damaged, but it has been raining too much to stain it" does not fly! :lol

Das Texan
08-25-2008, 11:18 PM

well you have to have the homeowners vote to change the rules of the HOA really.

Otherwise they are supposed to be filed in the fucking courthouse, lazy ass mother fucking developers.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:18 PM
If people don't show up for the vote when they've been repeatedly informed, then the blame lies on the people who don't show up, no?

It's apathy/indifference sprinkled with a little whiny bitch syndrome.

"little whiny bitch" would be a more accurate description of someone who cares what kind of car their neighbors park in the driveway.

08-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Gee, doesn't sound like the type of people who would live in sub that has a moat and a gated entrance with 24-hour security guards granting visitor access.

At all.

Das Texan
08-25-2008, 11:21 PM
oh and frisco is a piece of shit that is basically being foreclosed upon because of fucking idiots over there anyway.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Gee, doesn't sound like the type of people who would live in sub that has a moat and a gated entrance with 24-hour security guards granting visitor access.

At all.

is this your place or bill osborns?

08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm going to start calling you 85.

My point is that people who would live with or want to live with amenities like 24 hour security/moat are indeed going to be vain enough to try and dictate how their subdivision/community looks.

Don't like it? Run for a position on the board or encourage/persuade other neighbors to vote/vote the way you want.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm going to start calling you 85.

My point is that people who would live with or want to live with amenities like 24 hour security/moat are indeed going to be vain enough to try and dictate how their subdivision/community looks.

Don't like it? Run for a position on the board or encourage/persuade other neighbors to vote/vote the way you want.

you're making a lot of assumptions about this neighborhood and the resident in question. I'm not scoffing HOA's in general, just ones that make and enforce stupid rules like this. Even though your hood has a small minority running it i'm sure they havent gone this far. Most HOA's are reasonable and have the best interest of the whole community in mind, i'm sure...

08-25-2008, 11:43 PM
you're making a lot of assumptions about this neighborhood and the resident in question. I'm not scoffing HOA's in general, just ones that make and enforce stupid rules like this. Even though your hood has a small minority running it i'm sure they havent gone this far. Most HOA's are reasonable and have the best interest of the whole community in mind, i'm sure...

We're all making assumptions because none of us have all the facts. How do you know most HO's don't want this? Sounds like most do if they park their pickups in the garage without complaint. I'm sure it's laid out in the CCR where he can petition the board with a certain % of HO's to review and/or vote on this issue again.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Why would the majority of HO's vote to prohibit themselves from something like that? What purpose does that serve?

Does every single HO own a Escalade, Avalanche, Ridgeline or Lincoln Mark LT? Or do the 10 people who show up to these HOA meetings to make the rules own them?

mrsmaalox
08-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Why would the majority of HO's vote to prohibit themselves from something like that? What purpose does that serve?

Does every single HO own a Escalade, Avalanche, Ridgeline or Lincoln Mark LT? Or do the 10 people who show up to these HOA meetings to make the rules own them?

Probably not. Most of the HOs probably just use their garages for vehicle storage instead of storing a bunch of old crap they're too lazy to throw out.

Spurminator
08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Most of these people probably do not own any kind of pickup truck so it's not a personal concern to them.

thispego
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Probably not. Most of the HOs probably just use their garages for vehicle storage instead of storing a bunch of old crap they're too lazy to throw out.

with all those 4-car garages they could store whatever they want.

Bigzax
08-26-2008, 12:00 AM
dudes...dudettes...when people piss you off...collect some dog shit and throw it on their houses...key their lil escalades and watch them back off like a chihuahua at a pit bull fight...problem solved...soccer mom's fear mexicans...and dog shit is mightier than the pen...

CuckingFunt
08-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I used to have to deal with HOAs all the time when I was in property management, and they're largely ridiculous. And, even worse, since they're centered in neighborhoods, they're typically small/compact enough that petty cliques and passive aggressive bullshit can be an issue. However, they're also notorious for being overly emphatic with paperwork -- huge binders listing the CC+Rs, registration paperwork, vehicle registration, proxy ballots, monthly notices, election notices, warning notices, etc... Obviously, I have no idea if HOAs in Texas are as dilligent with that stuff as they are in California, but all of my experience with HOAs has shown that it would take an active effort on one's part to ignore this paperwork and not know the rules.

As far as the selective enforcement of the rules... there may be a legitimate case there, but probably not one worth pursuing. Especially over a truck. Since everything in an HOA is voted on, whether you participate or not, living in the neighborhood pretty much means that you accept their rules however they choose to enforce them.

AlamoSpursFan
08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
I love the lack of HOA out in the sticks where I live. There are several really junky crap hole houses at the beginning of my street. I refer to them as my passive anti-theft system. Any thief cruising my 'hood looking for stuff to steal would turn around and give up halfway down the street before they even got to my place!

:lol

BacktoBasics
08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
First off I'm only 50/50 on this even being real.

Second off it'll break down like this.

If the rule was in place before the guy purchased the vehicle he shouldn't have done what he did. Any time you live in a neighborhood with a HOA you have to be constantly on the up and up because these people have the fucking key to being ridiculous at the drop of dime and love to envoke their powers to put liens on homes and levee fines and so forth without much warning. It makes then feel important. If this asshole lives in such a nice neighborhood he should park his average joe ride in the big ass garage we all know he has. That or learn his lesson about the reprocussions of hanging around worthless rich asshats.

Third of all his lawyers or accountant or financial planner that helped him purchase this house should have made sure their client was well aware of any existing HOA laws that may affect their client.

If they invoked this rule post purchase of his vehicle he might be able to win a fight but at what cost. Why bother. Not to mention its highly doubtful he could walk away a winner, they'll hammer him for eternity. Park in your fucking richer garage and stop your richer bitching. I'm not sympathetic to this guy getting the shaft regardless of the fact that its totally insane and asinine.

Forth and most importantly don't live in places where they have HOA. I refuse to be a part in any neighborhood that has one. If you're so fucking wealthy that you need to have someone govern the standard of your neighborhood go fucking buy 10 acres and build. Then you don't have to deal with of that shit and it'll probably cost a heap less.

Its sad that this is the kind of idioctic shit exists.

angel_luv
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Does an individual really own property if he can be restricted from doing to it as he wills?

That said, there are people with no respect for anything and require repeated restriction in order to be reasonably orderly. Therefore, I can see the use of having a HOA.

The HOA described in the article, however, took due diligence to an absurd level- in my opinion.
The only reason a vehicle should not be allowed is if it is a safety hazard or if it is taking up unreasonable space in an area that belongs to the community as a whole- such as the street.
I don't think it is right to prevent people from parking in their own driveway or even from painting their house an unpopular color.

BacktoBasics
08-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Does an individual really own property if he can be restricted from doing to it as he wills?

That said, there are people with no respect for anything and require repeated restriction in order to be reasonably orderly. Therefore, I can see the use of having a HOA.

The HOA described in the article, however, took due diligence to an absurd level- in my opinion.
The only reason a vehicle should not be allowed is if it is a safety hazard or if it is taking up unreasonable space in an area that belongs to the community as a whole- such as the street.
I don't think it is right to prevent people from parking in their own driveway or even from painting their house an unpopular color.
The last thing a richer neighborhood wants is somone tearing up an old rig in the driveway. You know how mexicans are.....they'll find some salvage and then rip it aparts for parts over a two week period then park the carcass under a tree in the front yard so the kids have something to climb in and out of.

They don't want anything to not be consistantly pompous or it might damage their precious rich credibility they worked so hard on for years

Richer
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey.... times are hard.... he probably just lost his job so went and bought a hoopdie to save on some dough. People are getting fired these days, I know because I just fired my wifes personal trainer (I caught them in the act).

This HOA needs to realize that when times get tough, the tough will buy a piece of dookie to get by.

Blake
09-16-2022, 02:42 PM
"It's theft' | Neighbors react to homeowner's vehicle towed by HOA on north side
The residents claim the parking policy enforced by the HOA has become increasingly restrictive with current board

Author: Sarah Duran
Published: 6:31 PM CDT September 15, 2022
Updated: 6:31 PM CDT September 15, 2022
SAN ANTONIO — More residents in a north side neighborhood are speaking out against their homeowner's association after a homeowner's car was wrongfully towed away from their driveway Tuesday night.

Agreeing to speak on the condition on anonymity, one resident shared how she believes Mountain Lodge has changed since moving in her home in 2004......"

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/its-theft-neighbors-react-to-homeowners-vehicle-towed-by-hoa-on-northside/273-2559687b-5ae7-4811-a13f-6667842ff288

Blake
09-16-2022, 02:42 PM
2022 and hoas still suck

Spurminator
09-16-2022, 04:16 PM
I'm guessing a lot of Dallas neighborhoods don't have HOAs... In the Lakewood area you have some neighborhoods with $600K homes two blocks away from $100K homes and the upkeep varies greatly from block to block.

Times done changed

DMC
09-17-2022, 11:51 PM
When I was under an HOA, I've had neighbors just put furniture out for the trash pickup, and it sat there for weeks, or they would park a wrecked car on the curb in front of their home and it would set there for months. You need an HOA unless you want to live in the barrio, and the lack of action from HOAs is part of the reason for urban sprawl. As neighborhoods become legacy their HOAs just collect dues and don't enforce anything. Then half the subdivision starts being rentals, then it's basically a ghetto. People sell and move. Good HOAs are designed to keep the subdivision or community pretty well within the regs. So yeah it sucks when you're the target of the HOA actions, but maybe clean your shit up.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-18-2022, 04:44 AM
The problem with HOAs is that they are set up by the developer and I have yet to see one set up in the last 30 years that did not require approval by the developer to seek election for an HOA leadership position.

IOW, the developer chooses your leaders as opposed to the homeowners.

Blake
09-18-2022, 10:50 AM
When I was under an HOA, I've had neighbors just put furniture out for the trash pickup, and it sat there for weeks, or they would park a wrecked car on the curb in front of their home and it would set there for months. You need an HOA unless you want to live in the barrio, and the lack of action from HOAs is part of the reason for urban sprawl. As neighborhoods become legacy their HOAs just collect dues and don't enforce anything. Then half the subdivision starts being rentals, then it's basically a ghetto. People sell and move. Good HOAs are designed to keep the subdivision or community pretty well within the regs. So yeah it sucks when you're the target of the HOA actions, but maybe clean your shit up.

All big cities have code enforcement that would have ticketed the owner for the furniture and towed away the junked vehicle without any help at all from the HOA.

:lol what a shit neighborhood and town you must have lived in

Blake
09-18-2022, 10:55 AM
The problem with HOAs is that they are set up by the developer and I have yet to see one set up in the last 30 years that did not require approval by the developer to seek election for an HOA leadership position.

IOW, the developer chooses your leaders as opposed to the homeowners.

Yeah the developer builds it all, sets everything up with the HOA at the start, passes all ownership of private streets, easements and any other responsibilities to the HOA and gets the fuck out of there as soon as possible

pgardn
09-18-2022, 11:28 AM
The real problem is it involves volunteering.
Volunteers who have good intentions for the neighborhood as a whole.
Its the very beginning of a quasi governing body and in todays world that especially sucks as “muh rights” trumps all.
Not things that are obviously good for the entire neighborhood.

Cohesion and common sense have left the neighborhood.

pgardn
09-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Anyone been on the “board” of an HOA?
Actually volunteered for a legit reason.

Blake
09-18-2022, 12:00 PM
The real problem is it involves volunteering.
Volunteers who have good intentions for the neighborhood as a whole.
Its the very beginning of a quasi governing body and in todays world that especially sucks as “muh rights” trumps all.
Not things that are obviously good for the entire neighborhood.

Cohesion and common sense have left the neighborhood.

Most any new development now has an HOA company running things so they don't need the volunteers for much else than voting and showing up to hoa meetings

pgardn
09-18-2022, 01:53 PM
Most any new development now has an HOA company running things so they don't need the volunteers for much else than voting and showing up to hoa meetings

And they get the fk out asap.
Plus they dont know what is going on after they have left the scene.
SA news has a number of stories concerning money grubbing slacks that take over HOA management (someone has to inform the developer or do it themselves) and then hire their brother to do maintenance for the neighborhood or just flat out squander money on personal items.

School boards are the next step up and the same thing happens, especially in the school districts in which hardly anyone votes.
There are cases of really good people stepping up and volunteering their time for school boards and HOAs. Too bad it does not happen often enough.
I guess...

imo governing (HOA hierarchy) is not an easy job for volunteers. Especially in a neighborhood where people work hard and just flat out dont have the time.
A few people can take over that dont really represent the neighborhood needs.
Older neighborhoods with lots of retired folk might be different Im thinking.