PDA

View Full Version : Forget Rudy - Lakers sign 6'8" Chinese Magic Triple Double Machine

Allanon
08-25-2008, 05:11 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Sun Yue to a multi-year contract, it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Originally selected by the Lakers in the second round (40th overall) of 2007 NBA draft, the 6-9 guard started for the Chinese National Team this past month in the men’s basketball tournament at the Beijing Olympics. In six games, Sun averaged 6.8 points, 1.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.33 steals in 28.0 minutes.

Playing for the Beijing Aoshen Olympians of the American Basketball Association for the past three seasons, Sun, 23, was named First Team All-ABA in both 2007 and 2008 while earning Second-Team All-ABA honors in 2006.

Posting a 12-point, 14-rebound, 12-assist, 8-block, 4-steal triple-double against the L.A. Aftershock during his rookie season in the ABA (2005-06), Sun averaged 13.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 10.5 assists in 2006-07 when the team played its home games at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA before moving to Singapore for the 2007-08 season.

In my opinion, he was the second best player on the Chinese team during the Olympics. During a few minutes in a summer league game, Yue handed out 9 assists. A 6'9 Point Guard and a lefty, he's quick as hell with great handles and passing ability. He'll get plenty of Triple Doubles (points/assists/rebounds) and a possible Quadruple Double (+blocks).

This kid's got a future I think.

Skip through the first couple of photos for the video.
l8NXJ8jW8JE

And here's Sun Yue during NBA Summer league play
P1rua3zTM00

BlackSwordsMan
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
It's great seeing other teams in the West getting better and the Spurs have Hill in camp. Good stuff

Medvedenko
08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice prospect indeed. Looking forward to his bench play.

Fish/farmar
Kobe/Machine/Sun
Odom/Ariza/Walton
Pau/Powell
Bynum/Mihm

Allanon
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Nice prospect indeed. Looking forward to his bench play.

Fish/farmar
Kobe/Machine/Sun
Odom/Ariza/Walton
Pau/Powell
Bynum/Mihm

He's coming as a point guard I think since he's a super passer and an ok shooter. Probably will replace DFish when he retires if all works out. Sun is a freak of nature because even though he's 6'9, he has excellent lateral quickness like a 6'2 player, dribbles low and can get past much smaller guys.

At the Orlando Pre-Draft camp, his measurements were a 34" vertical leap, a 6'9" wingspan, a 8'9" standing reach, a 5.1% body fat ratio, and a time of 10.68 seconds (ranking in the top 3 times at the camp) in lane agility.

This would be one big ass lineup, Kobe would be the little guy

PG Sun 6'9
SG Kobe 6'6
SF Odom 6'10
PF Pau 7
C Bynum 7

or switch Sun & Odom since Sun is a better shooter

PG Odom 6'10
SG Kobe 6'6
SF Sun 6'9
PF Pau 7
C Bynum 7

bdictjames
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Haha, what are you Laker fans smoking?

This guy was embarassed by the Spanish guards in the critical minutes of the game, I remember the media comparing Yi to Garnett, that's pretty much as accurate as saying Yue is Magic. :lol

Allanon
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM

This guy was embarassed by the Spanish guards in the critical minutes of the game, I remember the media comparing Yi to Garnett, that's pretty much as accurate as saying Yue is Magic. :lol

Uhm, yeah, the Spanish guards pretty much embarrassed the Team USA guards during the critical minutes and all game too :D

bdictjames
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I meant in the defensive side of the ball, Yue is less adept at ballhandling. He's slow for a point guard as well.

Allanon
08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I meant in the defensive side of the ball, Yue is less adept at ballhandling. He's slow for a point guard as well.

On the defensive side of the ball? Team USA got abused on both sides of the ball against the Spaniards.

Sure Yue's slow for a point guard but at 6'9, he's a hell of alot bigger than most point guards too, laterally quick for his size and not prone to turnovers. Magic Johnson was also slow for a point guard. I'm not saying he's Magic but he can certainly develop into a solid PG/SG/SF who would create mismatch issues.

And what's crazy about him is even though his first step ain't great, he still gets by his point guard defender. On the defensive end, Yue's one of the top Chinese defenders...I don't know how that translates to the NBA, I am sure it will take time for him to develop into an NBA starter. But I think he can have some killer games this year in bursts...Yue getting playing time off the bench with Kobe/Pau/Bynum could prove to be a lethal combo due to his drive & pass skill.

MrChug
08-25-2008, 11:20 PM

You can't argue...that's a fair assessment, but I think this guy might be something special. One fact: Yi is a pussy. Scared of his own shadow. Done my research on this guy (besides YouTube videos that are SO misleading) and it seems he has the attitude of an American (which is the reason it too Yao so long to flourish), very athletic, disciplined and coachable, and a lefty.

What a fucking combo.

21_Blessings
08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
More like the chinese luke walton

Allanon
08-26-2008, 12:59 AM
More like the chinese luke walton

Hahah, nah.

They both have passing ability but that's about where it ends.

Luke can't shoot, this dude can shoot OK and is getting better every year
Luke can't jump, this dude can jump ok.
Luke can't run, this dude can
Luke can't/won't dunk, this dude dunks whenever he has a chance to

And Luke can't defend to save his life but this dude's good on defense (I read some scouting report that says he can be like a Tayshaun Prince type defender)

IronMexican
08-26-2008, 01:06 AM
and luke has a vagina. i hate seeing people on CL defend this punk, it pisses me off.

TheMadHatter
08-26-2008, 01:37 AM
The worst part about Luke is that his rookie season was pretty much his best year. His already declining athleticism is making him less useful than dog shit right now.

ambchang
08-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Observation #1: The Chinese team would be much better if they have some real backcourt play, someone who could actually handle the ball.

Observation #2: Sun is a PG on the Chinese basketball team.

Conclusion: Sun is not even a good enough point guard for the Chinese national team, let alone for a team that has championship aspirations in the NBA, let alone getting a triple double with said team, and let alone being a triple double machine for said team, and let alone being the Chinese version of Magic Johnson, unless you are talking counterfeits that are terrible in quality.

Rapper
08-26-2008, 07:02 AM
He is my friend in China, he played very well there

actually he is standard 6'9" without shoes

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
another overrated player

tlongII
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
He doesn't look like he has the quickness to succeed in the NBA to me.

hater
08-26-2008, 08:53 AM
he would get killed in nba.

Lakers_55
08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll have to reserve judgement. Give him some playing time to see what he can do and make sure he learns English!

rAm
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Screw you Dan!

Allanon
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I'll have to reserve judgement. Give him some playing time to see what he can do and make sure he learns English!

Sun already knows English pretty well playing for the ABA in Los Angeles.

The Chinese team is improving mostly because of Sun Yue. They had terrible point guards in the past but now with Sun and that other dude, they finally made the Olympics. Traditional Chinese basketball is devoid of fastbreaks, they relied mostly on having the tallest players. They're getting it, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the medal rounds in the next Olympics.

With the Chinese team, Sun doesn't really push the ball because that's not their style, with the Lakers, he'll have to learn to lead a break and I think he can do it.

Sun is "Americanized" and more flashy than normal Chinese players, probably watching Allen Iverson and playing in the US...you even see him wearing that color coordinated Allen Iverson sleeve on his right arm.

He obviously has the size and talent to be in the NBA, he has to learn the NBA way and get stronger. His defense alone will go a long ways towards keeping him in the NBA.

21_Blessings
08-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Hahah, nah.

They both have passing ability but that's about where it ends.

Both have Phil's precious TRIANGLE SKILLS and both are scrubs.

Much more accurate analogy than comparing him to the greatest point guard that ever lived

Allanon
08-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Much more accurate analogy than comparing him to the greatest point guard that ever lived

Yah that part is true, he ain't no Magic or ever will be even close. Chinese media dubbed him so because that's about as good as Chinese players get right now. But at the same time, he's an above average scrub coming into the league and looks like he can be solid. He looks like he can have streaks of great play this year.

The Lakers are a little bit weak (DFish, Farmar + rookies) at the PG position, if this guy can play it, he'll get some minutes. Not to mention the sale of Sun Yue Laker jerseys will sell like hotcakes in China since the Lakers and Rockets are the dominant teams there.

The Lakers believed enough in him to sign him to 2+ years so I think they must have seen some good stuff in him as well. Hell, if Magic would take over as his tutor much like Kareem did for Bynum, he might even become a great player.

Duncanoypi
08-27-2008, 05:31 AM
He's a chinese Yi Jianlian to me....lol

angelbelow
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
most experts are saying his game will not translate. im rooting for him though since im chinese.