PDA

View Full Version : Suns Deal Strawberry To Houston For Singletary

Solid D
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54156/20080825/suns_deal_strawberry_to_houston_for_singletary/

Suns Deal Strawberry To Houston For Singletary

Aug 25, 2008 6:31 PM EST
The Phoenix Suns have acquired Sean Singletary from the Houston Rockets in exchange for D.J. Strawberry, according to NBA.com.

"Sean gives us depth at the point guard spot," said Suns' President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr. "We like his instincts and his ability to run a team. He also puts a lot of pressure on the ball defensively. We thank D.J. for his contributions and wish him well."

In Singletary, the Suns acquire a dynamic 6-0, 185-point rookie guard, who was the 42nd overall selection (second round) of the Sacramento Kings in the 2008 NBA Draft.

Via NBA.com

Allanon
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Why would the Suns/Houston trade 1 scrub for a different scrub?

Curious trade.

Red Hawk #21
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I think this is a good trade for the Suns, Singletary is a very hard worker and he has potential to be a very good point guard.

Flo-Rida
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Curious trade.

Sean and Dj sure as hell aint scrubs both will have a good year.

The Third Man
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Singletary had a partially guranteed contract and Strawberry does not. It's a pure salary dump for the Rockets. I don't know why the Suns did this, unless they don't confidence in the newest European point guard they signed.

robbie380
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Curious trade.

one scrub has a partially guaranteed contract (singletary) and the other scrub does not (strawberry). good trade for the rockets. a total money deal but strawberry played better in the summer leagues so i don't know why phx did the trade.

edit...lol it looks like i am copying my man who posted above as i was writing this.

Solid D
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Strawberry is an intriguing player. He's pretty quick, good at ball-hawking D with active hands and good anticipation for steals. He's strictly a role player for ball pressure, particularly on presses and a few energy minutes. He has shown that he can hit an occasional three.

Allanon
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know much about these two "above-average" scrubs :D

timvp
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Houston's defense could be epic this season.

:td

manufor3
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM
i like strawberry. he never would see time in phx and will see more in houston

The Franchise
08-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Good trade for Houston. If he plays well in camp we finally have a point guard with height, for peanuts I might add. If he doesn't we can cut him before Oct. 31st and save the team $200,000 dollars. A win win for us.

JMarkJohns
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Singletary has more offensive skills right now, and that's pretty valuable when you current backup to Nash Had none (DJ), isn't signed yet and likely won't be for a month (Dragic) or isn't a PG (Barbosa).

It's a lateral move, but his skills fit better with what the Suns need, whether he ever plays or not.

pauls931
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I'll take anything for strawberry. I keep hearing about his potential but hardly saw anything in any game he got time. Every time he came in, I counted the seconds til nash would be back. Granted Barbosa sucks at the point too. Damn, I wish they could have kept Joe Johnson.

jack sommerset
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
If Kerr made the trade it is not good.

Gino
08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Strawberry is the most over-hyped forty-something pick in NBA history.

He might be a decent rotation player in a couple of years, but he got a lot of talk because Mike D'Antoni only played 8 guys on any given night and Suns fans got bored.

MavDynasty
08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Kerr is a dumbass

/thread
/suns org.

T Park
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Houston's defense could be epic this season.

:td

If they had a reliable player that would be true.

RonMexico
08-25-2008, 10:37 PM
This really doesn't make any sense to me, to be honest. I'm a huge Strawberry fan, but maybe they didn't think he could run the offense. At 6'5" and with Dragic as backup to Nash, he could really have helped Bell out there on some tougher defensive assignments.

I think both Strawberry and Singletary had good summer leagues, but I'm still a huge DJ fan.

RonMexico
08-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Strawberry is an intriguing player. He's pretty quick, good at ball-hawking D with active hands and good anticipation for steals. He's strictly a role player for ball pressure, particularly on presses and a few energy minutes. He has shown that he can hit an occasional three.

That's what I think.

I didn't watch enough of Singletary to be sold on the deal yet. I saw him have a few good games this summer, but I'm just not sure.

Tully365
08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
It looks like Kerr is adamant about getting Nash some relief so that he won't have to play too many minutes during the season, which is a topic that Kerr and D'Antoni clashed over.
If Dragic and Singletary can both play some minutes, it will help to keep Nash fresh.

It's ironic how suddenly the Suns are a very old team, after all those years of their fans saying that about the Spurs.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
If they had a reliable player that would be true.

that's why he said COULD be epic

NOT

WILL be epic

mojorizen7
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Singletary had a partially guranteed contract and Strawberry does not. It's a pure salary dump for the Rockets. I don't know why the Suns did this, unless they don't confidence in the newest European point guard they signed.

DJ hasn't shown the ability to run an offense to this point and he has had a dissappointing summer. My guess is that Kerr believes that as far as 12th men go, Singletary has a higher ceiling moving forward. Also after the G. Dragic signing who's known more for his defense(like DJ), the SUNS may feel that they needed a backup PG with some playmaking skills. I believe Singletary avg 6 assists/game his senior season at UAV.

Bruno
08-26-2008, 02:47 AM
It's a financial trade for both side.

Rockets would have likely waive Singletary. Singletary contract is partially guaranteed, Strawberry contract isn't guaranteed at all. Houston will save money by waiving Strawberry instead of Singletary (2*the guaranteed part of Singletary's contract with the luxury tax).

Suns needed another player. With Amundson and Dragic, Suns will have 12 players under contract and teams must have between 13 and 15 players under contract. For teams above the luxury tax, rookies second round picks are the cheapest contracts available. Strawberry was a sophomore and cost more than Singletary to Suns. Suns will save $500K with this move.

confined
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
If the Rockets stay healthy i dont see any reason why they won't win the chip this season :depressed
They have so many defensive stoppers

sribb43
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Did I miss something, when was Strawberry ever labled as a guy that can run the offense of an NBA team?

Xylus
08-26-2008, 02:06 PM
I liked Strawberry a lot because he was pest of a defender. Like Raja Bell with even more hustle. He had good size for a point guard, but a very unreliable jumpshot and underdeveloped passing skills.

His hustle alone should grant him a spot on an NBA team, and hopefully he gets better with time.