PDA

View Full Version : There are 21 accents in USA, which one is standard ?

Rapper
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Boston, Texas,New york, California, Mississippi,southern accent

wow..so confused for foreigners

which one is standard?

3UgpfSp2t6k

Dark Gable
08-26-2008, 08:36 AM
forigners? Now I'm confused.

Rapper
08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
forigners? Now I'm confused.

i suppse that you know what i mean

just typing mistake man

Brutalis
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
That's... not correct at all.

Anyone that goes off that video is ignorant.

Borosai
08-26-2008, 10:19 AM
If you want to perfect the official and internationally accepted American accent, study every episode of Inside the Actors Studio. James Lipton is your hero. If you talk like him, you've made it.

samikeyp
08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
No such thing as a standard American accent.

travis2
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
There's not even a single Texas accent...

Dex
08-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the only standard is that we said Fuck the English and stopped using words like lift, lou, and birds.

When it comes to what kind of American you're going to get in America, it really depends on what state your in. Having a job that has talk to hundreds of people from all around the country, I can oftentimes tell what state/region a person is from within the first 2 minutes of a phone conversation. That's why we're the melting pot, baby.

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the only standard is that we said Fuck the English and stopped using words like lift, lou, and birds.

When it comes to what kind of American you're going to get in America, it really depends on what state your in. Having a job that has talk to hundreds of people from all around the country, I can oftentimes tell what state/region a person is from within the first 2 minutes of a phone conversation. That's why we're the melting pot, baby.

so what your saying is you work in a call center

loser

Dex
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, and she totally nails the NZ lady. I talk to these people on the time, and they have one common thread: they never seem too bright, and they're always outrageously cheerful. Even if their Mac is like on fire or something.

No offense to any of our NZ counterparts. :)

Dex
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
so what your saying is you work in a call center

loser

Yeah, that's right. I work in a call center doing enterprise support for one of the largest computer companies in the world.

And something tells me that that I'm probably making better pay (in addition to the health plan, dental plan, life insurance, fitness center, stock options, 401k, and employee benefits) than whatever job your shitty ass attitude has got you.

Not to mention that I know how to capitalize and use correct grammar, and I don't spend the majority of my time slinging sixth grade insults on the internet.

Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=Dex;2736196]Yeah, that's right. I work in a call center doing enterprise support for one of the largest computer companies in the world.

And something tells me that that I'm probably making better pay (in addition to the health plan, dental plan, life insurance, fitness center, stock options, 401k, and employee benefits) than whatever job your shitty ass attitude has got you.

Not to mention that I know how to capitalize and use correct grammar, and I don't spend the majority of my time slinging sixth grade insults on the internet.

Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

Wow i got somebody a little upset. By the way i work for the largest health care provider in the us and i did start in the call center but have moved way beyoned that. See the number one goal of all call center people is to move up and be off the phone now i get to travle the us meet top people and make way more money than you can dream about little man, also i get some damm good benifets working for the company that probly provides your bennifits and the 401k is the best you could have, We however do not have a fitness center but i get a fitness allowence each month for a gym mebership.

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
as for the money you make what 10 12 bucks an hour is that the going rate these days come on that wont even pay my cps bill

DarkReign
08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
which one is standard?

Actually, I am trying to remember where I read this, but there is a standard American English.

If youve ever wondered what it is, you havent to look very far.

Turn on your television. Listen to the words.

There you go.

IIRC, the American English standard is based on a regional accent of some small, podunk "Square of Influence" around Oklahoma (or some such).

Let me get back to you....

DarkReign
08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
General American, aka American Broadcast English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American)

That "Square of Influence" I was talking about:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/General_American.png/180px-General_American.png

nomanches
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Unique sounding British accent in Virginia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

They probably still retain that accent from the first English settlers due to their isolation from the rest of the US.

Dex
08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Wow i got somebody a little upset. By the way i work for the largest health care provider in the us and i did start in the call center but have moved way beyoned that. See the number one goal of all call center people is to move up and be off the phone now i get to travle the us meet top people and make way more money than you can dream about little man, also i get some damm good benifets working for the company that probly provides your bennifits and the 401k is the best you could have, We however do not have a fitness center but i get a fitness allowence each month for a gym mebership.

So you're one of those people getting rich by denying good, hard-working Americans solid health care options? Good to know what I'm dealing with.

As far as getting upset over the assumptions some random douchebag is willing to make, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm off work today and killing time, and this is just another bullet on the troll list.

I'm glad you were able to climb the ladder like everybody else. By the way, do those 'top us people' mind the fact that you write like a ten-year-old?

At least when it comes down to it, I can go through the rest of life comforted by the fact that I'm not a jackass.

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
So you're one of those people getting rich by denying good, hard-working Americans solid health care options? Good to know what I'm dealing with.

As far as getting upset over the assumptions some random douchebag is willing to make, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm off work today and killing time, and this is just another bullet on the troll list.

I'm glad you were able to climb the ladder like everybody else. By the way, do those 'top us people' mind the fact that you write like a ten-year-old?

At least when it comes down to it, I can go through the rest of life comforted by the fact that I'm not a jackass.

that's true when you cant feed your bastard children with out your food stamp card you can look in the mirror and know your not a jackass just some loser that couldn't move out of an entry leave position

I started off just giving you a hard time because I've been in that job but you wanted to act like a bitch about it also are in satx cause we can handle this like men instead of on the internet I've been needing a fight for a long time

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
my name is Noe Ruiz and i am off ih-10 and dazalva come get some

Extra Stout
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Only 21?

South Texas (Hill Country drawl, think Robert Earl Keen)
West Texas (Panhandle drawl, extends into New Mexico)
East Texas/Western Deep South (Pineywoods twang: TX, w. MS, n. LA)
Mexican-American (there are several versions of this too)
AAVE (several versions)
Central Deep South (e. MS, AL, w. GA)
Georgia/South Carolina
Coastal South (Gulfport to Panama City)
Cajun
New Orleans
Western Upper South (OK, LA)
Mid-South (TN)
Piedmont (e. NC, e. VA)
Appalachian (WV, KY)
Ozark (esp. s. MO)
Great Plains
North Central Midwest
St. Louis
Upper Midwest (MN, WI)
Great Lakes
Delmarva (DE, MD, n. VA)
Pittsburgh
Lancaster (c. PA)
Philadelphia/New Jersey
New York City
Upstate New York
New England
Southern California
Pacific Northwest (OR, WA)
Mountain West (CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, NV)
New Mexico Colonial (descendants of Spanish settlers -- different accent from Mex-Ams)
Hawaiian Polynesian

And that's hardly exhaustive.

Dex
08-26-2008, 02:33 PM
that's true when you cant feed your bastard children with out your food stamp card you can look in the mirror and know your not a jackass just some loser that couldn't move out of an entry leave position

I started off just giving you a hard time because I've been in that job but you wanted to act like a bitch about it also are in satx cause we can handle this like men instead of on the internet I've been needing a fight for a long time

my name is Noe Ruiz and i am off ih-10 and dazalva come get some

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Sure thing, Noe. I'll meet you by the flag pole after school.

Thank you for proving my point.

nomanches
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
New Mexico Colonial (descendants of Spanish settlers -- different accent from Mex-Ams)

Didn't know about this one. Do you happen to have an example?

Extra Stout
08-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Didn't know about this one. Do you happen to have an example?

Thometime zhou chould go to Albuquerque, go into one of dothe "New Mexican" rethtauranth and lithen to how de old man who runth de plathe talkth.

pkbpkb81
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Sure thing, Noe. I'll meet you by the flag pole after school.

Thank you for proving my point.

sorry bro i was board buring a web ex just wanted to fuck with to get thought the meeting thanks for makeing the time fly by

NorCal510
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
The california and washington sound the best. all the rest sound like shit.

Sunshine
08-26-2008, 09:34 PM
omg...someone here needs spell check in a hurry.

ShoogarBear
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Actually, I am trying to remember where I read this, but there is a standard American English.

If youve ever wondered what it is, you havent to look very far.

Turn on your television. Listen to the words.

There you go.

IIRC, the American English standard is based on a regional accent of some small, podunk "Square of Influence" around Oklahoma (or some such).

Let me get back to you....

Yeah, there is a flat midwestern accent that all communications major are suppose to strive for. Not that that represents "standard", but it's supposed to be the most "universal".

I thought Johnny Carson was supposed to be the role model.

DarkReign
08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah, there is a flat midwestern accent that all communications major are suppose to strive for. Not that that represents "standard", but it's supposed to be the most "universal".

I thought Johnny Carson was supposed to be the role model.

I know its Wikipedia, but they cited Walter Cronkite (sp?) as the standard.

I lol'd.

Rapper
08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Some old americans told me that California accent is the standard