PDA

View Full Version : Euroleague For Dummies

monosylab1k
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
So I'm getting really interested in Euroleague and I want to start following it more closely, but I really don't know a buttload of crap about it. I know there's a lot of Euroleague followers here so I'm wondering if maybe you guys can help me understand how it all works over there. I think I have a general idea after an in-depth 5 minute study of the Euroleague Wikipedia page.

One big thing right off the bat is this - do the teams that play each season vary? Is there some sort of qualifying process? For instance, I saw that Rudy Fernandez played for Joventut (sp?) but when I looked at the Euroleague standings they were nowhere to be found.

Anyways, any info on Euroleague you fellas can provide would be greatly appreciated. I figure I oughta hop on the Euroleague bandwagon now before LeBron is playing there in a few years.

Kobayagi
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Best teams in national championships qualify for next season's Euroleague spot. Don't know the exact system but the number of teams from one country varies.

So, basically what you have to know is...you've got to be the best in your country (or one of the best if you're from Spain, Italy, Greece etc) before you can play the Euroleague.

Oh...I almost forgot...there are some teams that are automatically qualified as well, no matter where they finish in their national championship.

Pero
08-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh...I almost forgot...there are some teams that are automatically qualified as well, no matter where they finish in their national championship.

I think those are the teams that have multi year contracts with Euroleague.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I think I remember hearing espn360.com will broadcast games next season

monosylab1k
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I think I remember hearing espn360.com will broadcast games next season

nice :tu

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
So I'm getting really interested in Euroleague and I want to start following it more closely, but I really don't know a buttload of crap about it. I know there's a lot of Euroleague followers here so I'm wondering if maybe you guys can help me understand how it all works over there. I think I have a general idea after an in-depth 5 minute study of the Euroleague Wikipedia page.

One big thing right off the bat is this - do the teams that play each season vary? Is there some sort of qualifying process? For instance, I saw that Rudy Fernandez played for Joventut (sp?) but when I looked at the Euroleague standings they were nowhere to be found.

Anyways, any info on Euroleague you fellas can provide would be greatly appreciated. I figure I oughta hop on the Euroleague bandwagon now before LeBron is playing there in a few years.

Euroleague is base on contracts of biggest clubs. There is some places for how team finish in their domestic league also. And there is some wild card places like ULEB cup. Is promote and relegate system with some contracts. In 2011 this will change to NBA style with also some wild cards. 16 teams will get the franchise for life and then 8 teams gets places base on finish in some domestic league and the ULEB next level the cup.

endrity
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Right now teams have to qualify by being at the top of the standings in their domestic league in the previous season. How many teams qualify from a contry varies, and it depends on the strength of the league. This is changable, as for example the Russian league is getting much stronger and therefore will probably have an increased number of participants at the expense of probably Italy.

This will change in about two years, with the top 16 teams being handed long term contracts to play there. I don't know how I feel about this, I kinda like the idea of having an incentive to actually win, unlike in the NBA where I honestly believe there are about 8-10 franchises that really want to win a title, the others just want to pack arenas and make money. But, on the other hand, if they really want to make Euroleague strong to compete with the NBA they need some of the powerful clubs to be there all the time.

The ULEB cup, which KBP talks about, is the second level European wide competition. Think of it as some sort of NIT tournament, where the teams that just miss out on the Euroleague participate in. Juventud, which I think ranked 5th in the Spanish ACB league last year, just missed out on the Euroleague, and therefore played in the ULEB cup.

MavDynasty
08-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Euroleague is base on contracts of biggest clubs. There is some places for how team finish in their domestic league also. And there is some wild card places like ULEB cup. Is promote and relegate system with some contracts. In 2011 this will change to NBA style with also some wild cards. 16 teams will get the franchise for life and then 8 teams gets places base on finish in some domestic league and the ULEB next level the cup.

dam too bad u got all of that sht off wikipedia

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
dam too bad u got all of that sht off wikipedia

You are idiot. I know more of Euroleague than whole forum here together.

Kibic
08-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Do you really think so?

endrity
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM

I don't know if you have noticed but there is a large number of Europeans posting in this forum, especially slovenians, montenegrins, but also dutch and french. Please be more humble.

Kobayagi
08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't know if you have noticed but there is a large number of Europeans posting in this forum, especially slovenians, montenegrins, but also dutch and french.

Yes, but we is all much more stupider then he.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Things I see from Europe fans here many times

1. Saras is best player of Europe.
2. Diamantidis is much better then Spanoulis.
3. All teams of Europe is very poor and have no money to sign NBA players and can never offer such big contracts as Kill Bill say - this one some strange reason not being say anymore here.
4. Spain league is million times better then other leagues in Europe.
5. NBA is million times better then Euroleague.
6. Sabonis "much better" then Drazen and Galis.
7. Saras "best Europe player ever".
8. Saras "best Europe guard ever".
9. Papaloukas is best point guard of Europe.
10. Papaloukas is best player of Europe.
11. Papaloukas is better then Spanoulis.
12. Spain league almost as good as Euroleague.
13. Greek league very bad league with very terrible players and teams.
14. Spanoulis is "at best average backup guard in Europe."
15. Saras is best player ever of Lithuania.

There is many more such examples of such very stupid things they say here and from many of these Europe fans here it seem almost all of them is so stupid and full of crap. Is obvious they have never watch game in Europe in their life or if have they are just morons.

No US fan in this forum that is here and ask for help and to understand and know Euroleague should ever trust anything say by "Europe fans" here. They is wrong and lie on actually every single thing they says about it. They is as bad and stupid and wrong about game in Europe as Rockets fans is about game in US.

Pero
08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
You forgot to add the fact that V-spam sucks.

endrity
08-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Things I see from Europe fans here many times

1. Saras is best player of Europe.
2. Diamantidis is much better then Spanoulis.
3. All teams of Europe is very poor and have no money to sign NBA players and can never offer such big contracts as Kill Bill say - this one some strange reason not being say anymore here.
4. Spain league is million times better then other leagues in Europe.
5. NBA is million times better then Euroleague.
6. Sabonis "much better" then Drazen and Galis.
7. Saras "best Europe player ever".
8. Saras "best Europe guard ever".
9. Papaloukas is best point guard of Europe.
10. Papaloukas is best player of Europe.
11. Papaloukas is better then Spanoulis.
12. Spain league almost as good as Euroleague.
13. Greek league very bad league with very terrible players and teams.
14. Spanoulis is "at best average backup guard in Europe."
15. Saras is best player ever of Lithuania.

There is many more such examples of such very stupid things they say here and from many of these Europe fans here it seem almost all of them is so stupid and full of crap. Is obvious they have never watch game in Europe in their life or if have they are just morons.

No US fan in this forum that is here and ask for help and to understand and know Euroleague should ever trust anything say by "Europe fans" here. They is wrong and lie on actually every single thing they says about it. They is as bad and stupid and wrong about game in Europe as Rockets fans is about game in US.

Right, because American fans agree on everything regarding the NBA and its players and teams. There is absolutely never a debate going on about what the best teams are, who the best player at each position are.

Sorry man, but people have different opinions. I don't agree with about 90% of the statements you made, but there are some that I do believe. If you don't agree with them, well suck it up.

I think Spain has the best league, and I think Saras was the best guard in Europe especially after Ginobili left. And for all his relative athleticism, Spanoulis to me is not better than Papaloukas as a pure point guard. As a scorer, maybe, but I don't think there is a better PG and leader in all of Europe than Theo. Sabonis to me was the best European player ever, before a certain tall sweet-shooting German came along. I am sorry that I don't rate Galis as high as you do, but I know very little of him as well.

Pero
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Endrity why do you even bother?

endrity
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM

everyone gets a second chance i guess....

Pero
08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
everyone gets a second chance i guess....

Second? :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Right, because American fans agree on everything regarding the NBA and its players and teams. There is absolutely never a debate going on about what the best teams are, who the best player at each position are.

Sorry man, but people have different opinions. I don't agree with about 90% of the statements you made, but there are some that I do believe. If you don't agree with them, well suck it up.

I think Spain has the best league, and I think Saras was the best guard in Europe especially after Ginobili left. And for all his relative athleticism, Spanoulis to me is not better than Papaloukas as a pure point guard. As a scorer, maybe, but I don't think there is a better PG and leader in all of Europe than Theo. Sabonis to me was the best European player ever, before a certain tall sweet-shooting German came along. I am sorry that I don't rate Galis as high as you do, but I know very little of him as well.

But you are wrong. Opinion is just excuse for stupid argument to be made. facts is you are wrong. So if US fan wants to really know game in Europe he need to stay away from opionion of fan boys. Is just same crap be said by Europe fans here in forum all the time that remind me of people in Us say "Kobe is >than Jordan."

If you believe for such example Sabonis > Galis or Saras best guard of Europe you are as stupid and dumb and fan boy as US fan who believe "Kobe > Jordan".

Is almost impossible to describe how stupid many things are that are say here in this forum by "Europe fans" when they are "educators" of game there to American fans.

Is so ridiculous is just make me laugh.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Because he is idiot and make up his own fact. he even say he not know Galis but even then Sabonis is better. Sabonis himself say Galis was better then him plus all his team of Soviet Union combine.

Worst and craziest thing of all is him keep say Saras was best guard in Europe. is same as a US fan say something like "best guard ever in NBA was Mark Jackson this is fact and all people argue with it are liars and stupid and fake."

At very best Saras is nothing more in Europe then what Mark Jackson was in NBA and this in truth is giving to much credit.

endrity
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Because he is idiot and make up his own fact. he even say he not know Galis but even then Sabonis is better. Sabonis himself say Galis was better then him plus all his team of Soviet Union combine.

Worst and craziest thing of all is him keep say Saras was best guard in Europe. is same as a US fan say something like "best guard ever in NBA was Mark Jackson this is fact and all people argue with it are liars and stupid and fake."

At very best Saras is nothing more in Europe then what Mark Jackson was in NBA and this in truth is giving to much credit.

Right, Eurobasket and Euroleague MVP is just a Mark Jackson. How many MVPs did Jackson win again.

You really are a dumbass.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Right, Eurobasket and Euroleague MVP is just a Mark Jackson. How many MVPs did Jackson win again.

You really are a dumbass.

You know nothing of game in Europe. You not even know what MVP there means compare to what it means in NBA.

If NBA MVP is same as in Europe then almost every season there will different MVp then one NBA has actually had in past. You are just all full of craps when you talk about basketball in Europe.

Saras was not best guard of his own team in Europe even in his prime FACT and you keep call him best player of Europe. Is like you just enjoy make up facts for American fans to make Europe game look worse.

Please explain how he was ever best guard in Europe when he was not even best guard of his own team. Please explain how he was ever best player in Europe when he was not even best player in his own team.

Dex
08-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Is there an echo in here? Is there an echo in here?

sendman
08-29-2008, 05:32 AM

This won't hurt, I guess:
http://www.euroleague.net/