PDA

View Full Version : US Open Thread

mavsfan1000
08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Who do you think will win here? I think Nadal will continue to play well and take it. He got lucky with Djokovic being on Fed's side. For the women's I gotta go with Serena Williams though Safina is playing very well.

Evan
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Franklin by KO in the second round.

1Parker1
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't think Nadal is going to win. I'm leaning towards Djokovic or Federer. Nadal had a tough time in the first round, he's getting blisters, and I'm sure at this point after playing so many matches, its going to get to him.

This is Federer's event to lose. We'll be able to see what he has in him. If he doesn't win, I think it's going to be tough for him to beat out Sampras's 14 slams record.

mavsfan1000
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think Nadal is going to win. I'm leaning towards Djokovic or Federer. Nadal had a tough time in the first round, he's getting blisters, and I'm sure at this point after playing so many matches, its going to get to him.

This is Federer's event to lose. We'll be able to see what he has in him. If he doesn't win, I think it's going to be tough for him to beat out Sampras's 14 slams record.
The same thing could be said after Nadal's match against Starace in Beijing. He ended up playing some of his best tennis on fast hardcourts. Djokovic and Federer are on the same side so they would have to play on Super Saturday. If that match goes long, it could really hurt them for the Finals.

mavsfan1000
08-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Bump. As I predicted, Nadal looking much better now. The first match was tough for him due to jetlag. 12 hour difference. He has looked great these last 2 matches.

dbreiden83080
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Fed looked great today and he has a great look in his eye. He wants this BAD and to end his year on a high note. Nadal may make the finals but i got Fed taking him and his 5th straight US Open. People are writing him off, big mistake, Fed's got a lot left.

carina_gino20
09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but Roger's sounding a lot more cocky now than in the past. Then again, is it cocky if it's true? Also, this self-confidence is probably exactly what he needs to get over the hump this year.

milkyway21
09-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but Roger's sounding a lot more cocky now than in the past. Then again, is it cocky if it's true? Also, this self-confidence is probably exactly what he needs to get over the hump this year.
if there's one guy who is comfortable when he's winning or losing on the court, it's Federer. I really think he's cool.

I'm cheering for him to win his #5 straight USOpen.

BTW, hello to you carina!

1Parker1
09-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Ehh, I think it's more him getting tired of answering the Media's constant questioning of him and his greatness and beleiving that he's done/washed up, etc. By normal people's standards, he's had a great year, still managed to be runner up in 2 grand slams.

milkyway21
09-03-2008, 01:49 AM
whew. Federer survived. That was so close. 11 aces but whoa the double faults and the unforced errors are just too much.

Federer, beating Russian Igor Andreev 6-7 (5/7), 7-6 (7/5), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. if he'll win it all is now 2 shy of Sampras all-time record...

:lol of the match between Robredo vs Djokovic

An exhausted Djokovic said he is still feeling the effects of his previous match.

"If I start talking about the things that are bothering me now, we can talk about this until tomorrow," Djokovic said. "Whoever I play next will be physically fitter than me that's for sure."

Robredo accused Djokovic of exaggerating injuries to get some extra rest.

"If you are not fit enough then don't play," Robredo said. "I have pain all over my body but I don't complain.

mavsfan1000
09-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Man I was really hoping Andreev would pull out that upset. Andreev has a sick forehand.

carina_gino20
09-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi, milky. :)

I was shocked when I saw the news on yahoo. But glad to see he pulled through.

milkyway21
09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi, milky. :)

I was shocked when I saw the news on yahoo. But glad to see he pulled through.
shocked?

but HE IS Roger Federer!

:lol

dallaskd
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Franklin by KO in the second round.

Ditto. But man on the subject on tennis...Roddick has impressed me. USA!

carina_gino20
09-04-2008, 02:19 AM
shocked?

but HE IS Roger Federer!

:lol

I mean shocked that he was stretched to 5 sets.

milkyway21
09-04-2008, 02:50 AM
whoa Andy Roddick has the toughest opponent in Djokovic for the semi-finals spot.

meanwhile,
Nadal beats Fish, for the first time enters in the U.S. Open semi-finals facing Murray.

sold out tickets.....

1Parker1
09-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Ohhhh man. I am so excited for tonight's matchups; Federer against the Cinderella story guy of the Open and Djokovic against Roddick.

This US Open is turning out to be an awesome one, so many good matchups. And can I just say :wow :wow :wow to Nadal. I honestly didn't give him a chance at the Open, despite all he's accomplished, but jeez, at this point, I can't see him losing anymore!

chenjinyue
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
good!!

1Parker1
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
:lol Roddick chokes again, shocker. Nadal vs. Murray and Djokovic vs Federer in the semi's.

What do u all think of the little verbal exchange between Djokovic and Roddick. Personally, I find Roddick entertaining in his interviews and he was clearly joking, yet pretty much on the $$. If Djokovic can't take a joke, then he shouldn't joke about others either. And crying to the audience after the match sure didn't help him. :lol

dbreiden83080
09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
:lol Roddick chokes again, shocker. Nadal vs. Murray and Djokovic vs Federer in the semi's.

What do u all think of the little verbal exchange between Djokovic and Roddick. Personally, I find Roddick entertaining in his interviews and he was clearly joking, yet pretty much on the $$. If Djokovic can't take a joke, then he shouldn't joke about others either. And crying to the audience after the match sure didn't help him. :lol

Novak, is a great player but he has a huge EGO and a big mouth. He supposedly is not well liked in the locker room. I don't like Andy much personally. I think he is a crybaby and he's not really had much of a career, from where he was projected to be. He should not have said what he said but Novak acted like a moron with the crowd last night and probably assured a lot of boos when he plays Roger.

milkyway21
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Novak, is a great player but he has a huge EGO and a big mouth. He supposedly is not well liked in the locker room. I don't like Andy much personally. I think he is a crybaby and he's not really had much of a career, from where he was projected to be. He should not have said what he said but Novak acted like a moron with the crowd last night and probably assured a lot of boos when he plays Roger.yeah the EGO.
One thing is for sure, after Robredo then Roddick, he's not gaining more fans right now.

I was hoping for a Roddick win over Djokovic. Well, there's always next time.

carina_gino20
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Roger will smash Novak out in the semis. At this point, I think Novak has too many extra things outside the game, on his mind, to put in the amount of concentration required when facing Roger.

I hope I don't jinx them, but I want Roger vs Rafa 2008v3. Make it happen! :lol

milkyway21
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Roger will smash Novak out in the semis. At this point, I think Novak has too many extra things outside the game, on his mind, to put in the amount of concentration required when facing Roger.

I hope I don't jinx them, but I want Roger vs Rafa 2008v3. Make it happen! :lol

yeah! and beat that Wimbledon record of longest time played on tennis court :lol that would be awesome to watch.

one game at a time. Fed has to beat Djokovic first.

mavsfan1000
09-06-2008, 02:38 AM
It doesn't get much better than this. Djokovic vs. Federer and Nadal vs. Murray. Can't wait to see it.

1Parker1
09-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Well, Djokovic let the crowd get to him in a pivotal time in the 3rd set. Federer advances to his 3rd Final this year. For all the talk about his reported demise, that's still impressive.

Meanwhile, due to rain delays, Nadal vs Murray match has been delayed in the 3rd set. But looks like Murray is going to pull through, he won the first two sets. :wow

dbreiden83080
09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Fed was very impressive today. He is playing his best tennis right now maybe of the year, in the last few matches. He wants this really bad, hopefully he gets it done. He'll beat Murray i think for sure if he can close out Nadal.

carina_gino20
09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Timely reprieve for Rafa. Hopefully, he can get his bearings back and pull through with a win.

carina_gino20
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
:depressed

Rafa has finally come down to earth.

mavsfan1000
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah too bad. Murray was on fire again. I can't believe how well Murray is playing now. He looks like Djokovic now.

carina_gino20
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm happy for Murray though. He's come a long way from the scrawny kid I saw three years ago in Wimbledon. His growth this year has been pretty awesome to watch. I hope he gives Roger a good challenge.

mavsfan1000
09-08-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm happy for Murray though. He's come a long way from the scrawny kid I saw three years ago in Wimbledon. His growth this year has been pretty awesome to watch. I hope he gives Roger a good challenge.
Yeah I would love to see Murray beat Federer. Tough mission to beat Nadal and Fed though. Djokovic was the last person to do it in the same tournament.

1Parker1
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Wow, I'm shocked. I thought with the timely break, Rafa could have for sure came in and won the match. I was looking forward to another Rafa and Fed finals rematch, would have been great to see Federer redeem himself a little.

I actually think Murray has a great chance today, he's been playing as well as anyone.

Ginobilly
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, I'm shocked. I thought with the timely break, Rafa could have for sure came in and won the match. I was looking forward to another Rafa and Fed finals rematch, would have been great to see Federer redeem himself a little.

I actually think Murray has a great chance today, he's been playing as well as anyone.

Nadal looked tired as hell at the end of that match. You could tell he was physically drained against Murray. He needs to recharge his batteries A.S.A.P!

dbreiden83080
09-08-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-09/42191016.jpg

Never underestimate the heart of a champion

Fed claims 5th straight US Open and 13th overall Grand Slam Title. Rumors of the great Roger's demise have been greatly exagerated.

1Parker1
09-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Welcome back Mr. Federer....we've missed you :)

Although, the win would have been about 10 times sweeter if it had come against Nadal :) Oh well, can't have everything! Hopefully this propels him into next year.

Who here thinks 2009 is the year Federer finally breaks Sampras's record of 14 grand slams? Federer is now at 13. So he'd have to win at least 2 grand slams next year. I say when his career is all said and done, Federer will have about 16-17 grand slams.

dbreiden83080
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Welcome back Mr. Federer....we've missed you :)

Although, the win would have been about 10 times sweeter if it had come against Nadal :) Oh well, can't have everything! Hopefully this propels him into next year.

Who here thinks 2009 is the year Federer finally breaks Sampras's record of 14 grand slams? Federer is now at 13. So he'd have to win at least 2 grand slams next year. I say when his career is all said and done, Federer will have about 16-17 grand slams.

I expect Roger to have a huge year next year. He started the year with MONO and it messed him up for quite some time. He finally got himself together for the Open and really looked like himself at the end of tournament. I look for him to win the Aussie Open and tie Pete and at the very least get back his Wimbledon crown.

mavsfan1000
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I expect Roger to have a huge year next year. He started the year with MONO and it messed him up for quite some time. He finally got himself together for the Open and really looked like himself at the end of tournament. I look for him to win the Aussie Open and tie Pete and at the very least get back his Wimbledon crown.

I think Rafa repeats at Wimbledon. Remember that Fed didn't lose a set at Wimbledon until he played Nadal and the year before Nadal had his chances to beat Fed. The Australian Open is between Fed and Djokovic I think.

lebomb
09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
One injury to Nadal, Djokovic, Murry or Roger and all this shit gets thrown up in the air.

dbreiden83080
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I think Rafa repeats at Wimbledon. Remember that Fed didn't lose a set at Wimbledon until he played Nadal and the year before Nadal had his chances to beat Fed. The Australian Open is between Fed and Djokovic I think.

It's a toss up really. I like Roger because of his experience on grass but they are both the best grass court players on the planet. 2 epic 5 set matches played the last 2 years. It is not like Nadal is going to get much better, between now and Wimbledon. This is about as well as he can play from what he has physically. Nadal is not a big server and he never will be. He is a great shotmaker, who is fast as hell and hits with a shitload of spin. He can play at the net but he really doesn't like too. He is a banger from the baseline. Ferd's serve is still getting better. He is starting to go for more and getting more cheap points off it. Fed's net game is still improving as well. I just think Roger will dominate again next year. The French he may never get it but i would not count him out of another 3 slam season.

carina_gino20
09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
It's a toss up really. I like Roger because of his experience on grass but they are both the best grass court players on the planet. 2 epic 5 set matches played the last 2 years. It is not like Nadal is going to get much better, between now and Wimbledon. This is about as well as he can play from what he has physically. Nadal is not a big server and he never will be. He is a great shotmaker, who is fast as hell and hits with a shitload of spin. He can play at the net but he really doesn't like too. He is a banger from the baseline. Ferd's serve is still getting better. He is starting to go for more and getting more cheap points off it. Fed's net game is still improving as well. I just think Roger will dominate again next year. The French he may never get it but i would not count him out of another 3 slam season.

I think you're underestimating Rafa here. The guy is constantly talking about improving his game. I believe he knows exactly where his weaknesses lie on grass and hardcourt. When he improves on those, it'll be scary,

dbreiden83080
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I think you're underestimating Rafa here. The guy is constantly talking about improving his game. I believe he knows exactly where his weaknesses lie on grass and hardcourt. When he improves on those, it'll be scary,

His weakness lies in his serve and that has not improved all that much in the last few years. He is only about 6'0, and he doesn't have the natural power of a guy like Sampras or the feel of Federer. He is a great baseline player and shotmaker. Fed is the better more well rounded player, whom the game comes easier too. Nadal may have a short career, the way he gets beat up out there every season. His shotmaking gives Roger problems, it is a tough matchup for him but you notice how Fed dessimates opponents Nadal has trouble with. I like Nadal but when it is all said and done Roger will be the best of all time. Nadal maybe will be top 5.

mavsfan1000
09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
His weakness lies in his serve and that has not improved all that much in the last few years. He is only about 6'0, and he doesn't have the natural power of a guy like Sampras or the feel of Federer. He is a great baseline player and shotmaker. Fed is the better more well rounded player, whom the game comes easier too. Nadal may have a short career, the way he gets beat up out there every season. His shotmaking gives Roger problems, it is a tough matchup for him but you notice how Fed dessimates opponents Nadal has trouble with. I like Nadal but when it is all said and done Roger will be the best of all time. Nadal maybe will be top 5.
You gotta be kidding me. Nadal was averaging 10-15 mph faster this year at Wimbledon on his serve. Way better than last year. His serve did weaken at the US Open but I think that has to do with fatigue.

dbreiden83080
09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
You gotta be kidding me. Nadal was averaging 10-15 mph faster this year at Wimbledon on his serve. Way better than last year. His serve did weaken at the US Open but I think that has to do with fatigue.

Nadal's percentage drops when he goes for more on his serve. At the Open he was just spinning them all in to start the point. He has the least amount of aces and unreturnables of all the top 10 players on the men's side. He ranked 33rd this year in aces, Fed ranked 3rd. 1st service pts won, 31st, Roger ranked 4th Nadal Ranks 1st in 2nd service pts won becaue he is such a great shot-maker. In a rally he is deadly but he has yet to make that 1st serve a weapon and i don't believe he ever will. Part of the wear and tear on Nadal is that he can't get easy games off his serve. He has to work his ass off for everything.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

mavsfan1000
09-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Nadal's percentage drops when he goes for more on his serve. At the Open he was just spinning them all in to start the point. He has the least amount of aces and unreturnables of all the top 10 players on the men's side. He ranked 33rd this year in aces, Fed ranked 3rd. 1st service pts won, 31st, Roger ranked 4th Nadal Ranks 1st in 2nd service pts won becaue he is such a great shot-maker. In a rally he is deadly but he has yet to make that 1st serve a weapon and i don't believe he ever will. Part of the wear and tear on Nadal is that he can't get easy games off his serve. He has to work his ass off for everything.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/
And yet Nadal only got broken 5 times in all of Wimbledon. He might not be getting aces but he is definitely getting some weak replies there.

Kobulingam
09-10-2008, 01:01 AM
And yet Nadal only got broken 5 times in all of Wimbledon. He might not be getting aces but he is definitely getting some weak replies there.

He serves 10mph higher at Wimbledon than anytime in the year. Last year suddenly he was hitting 120+mph serves and keeping an extremely high first serve pct. at Wimbledon.. and the commentators were raving how his serve has improved through hard work. BUT it was a sudden improvement that came out of nowhere.

Then later last year, his serve went back down 10mph to normal levels by US Open. He continued to serve like this until Wimbledon this year, and boom, his serve speed shot up 10mph again and still maintained high percentage. He was hitting 130mph serves too. Not only were they fast they were heavy in spin.

After Wimbledon, his serve dropped back down to the 100-110mph range. It will stay there for many more months until somet time next year where he'll suddenly amp up his speed and all the commentators will rave how he's improved his serve through hard work....

mavsfan1000
09-10-2008, 02:55 AM
He serves 10mph higher at Wimbledon than anytime in the year. Last year suddenly he was hitting 120+mph serves and keeping an extremely high first serve pct. at Wimbledon.. and the commentators were raving how his serve has improved through hard work. BUT it was a sudden improvement that came out of nowhere.

Then later last year, his serve went back down 10mph to normal levels by US Open. He continued to serve like this until Wimbledon this year, and boom, his serve speed shot up 10mph again and still maintained high percentage. He was hitting 130mph serves too. Not only were they fast they were heavy in spin.

After Wimbledon, his serve dropped back down to the 100-110mph range. It will stay there for many more months until somet time next year where he'll suddenly amp up his speed and all the commentators will rave how he's improved his serve through hard work....
I've seen Nadal serve big on hardcourts. It just didn't happen at the US Open. I assume Nadal peaks at the French Open and Wimbledon and is always tired by the time the hardcourt season comes. It is not a fun surface for him to play on.

1Parker1
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Nadal's service game has gotten A LOT better this year, and is a big reason why his overall game improved so much.

That being said, I think the rough schedule, especially with the Olympics this year, took its toll on Federer. He himself admitted, he hasn't been able to practice as much between Grand Slams and that the scheduling this year has been horrible (Nadal and every other player agreed to this as well). I think next season, when he's fully healthy, can get more rest, Federer will be able to win at least 2 grand slams, if not more.

dbreiden83080
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM

LOL, Right that is why he is ranked 31st in 1st service pts won, because players are just getting so many weak ass hacks on it out there :rolleyes

He is not getting to many unreturnable's either. Sometimes stats don't lie and this is one of those occasions. He is wore down physically by the end of every year because he has to work so damn hard for everything out there. A dominant first serve like Sampras had would eliminate that problem. Nadal simply doesn't have it.

Kobulingam
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I've seen Nadal serve big on hardcourts. It just didn't happen at the US Open. I assume Nadal peaks at the French Open and Wimbledon and is always tired by the time the hardcourt season comes. It is not a fun surface for him to play on.

Yes he serves big sometimes on hardcourt, but never BIG.
He served at the US Open about 15mph slower than he did at Wimbledon this year.

That's a huge difference. He doesn't serve anywhere near as hard he does at Wimbledon at other tournaments.

And he also looks way thicker(more muscular) at Wimbledon than anywhere else (and seems to have abundant energy that nevers goes down even if he plays 6 days in a row).

carina_gino20
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes he serves big sometimes on hardcourt, but never BIG.
He served at the US Open about 15mph slower than he did at Wimbledon this year.

That's a huge difference. He doesn't serve anywhere near as hard he does at Wimbledon at other tournaments.

And he also looks way thicker(more muscular) at Wimbledon than anywhere else (and seems to have abundant energy that nevers goes down even if he plays 6 days in a row).

:lol at what you're implying.

Kobulingam
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
:lol at what you're implying.

I'm not making this up. Look up the stats and look up some pictures.

He served wayyyyy harder at Wimbledon than any other time in the year. You can get stats from the websites.

At Wimbledon, people couldn't return his serve (cuz it was consistently 120mph+ with sooo much spin on top of that). The rest of the year his serve is garbage.

dbreiden83080
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM

He served wayyyyy harder at Wimbledon than any other time in the year. You can get stats from the websites.

At Wimbledon, people couldn't return his serve (cuz it was consistently 120mph+ with sooo much spin on top of that). The rest of the year his serve is garbage.

The ball skids off the grass at Wimbledon, like it won't at the US Open on the Hard Courts. The true great servers have always excelled at the open because the ball won't skid unless it hits the lines. If your serve is mediocre, it will show up at the Open.

angelbelow
09-11-2008, 03:20 AM
congrats to federer!

carina_gino20
09-12-2008, 02:29 AM

I'm not saying you made it up, but stating facts is one thing. Subtly implying something illegal is another.

nikegirl
09-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Gotta give it up to Federer for pulling this grand slam win after the year he's been through. Hope this would help jumpstarting next year for him. As for Nadal, he better slow down with his tournaments cos with his type of play, it seems like he's not gonna last very long. But it has been a great year for him and mad props, I love how he never gives up on catching the ball.

Although I dont really get why people think Nadal owns Federer cos outside of clay, if I remember correctly, Federer actually has a head to head lead on him. It's a given that Nadal owns everyone on clay which I guess inflates to head to head stat.

mavsfan1000
09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
The ball skids off the grass at Wimbledon, like it won't at the US Open on the Hard Courts. The true great servers have always excelled at the open because the ball won't skid unless it hits the lines. If your serve is mediocre, it will show up at the Open.

Agreed. Even some of the fast servers get attacked on hardcourts. Australian Open is the same story. It is not a forgiving surface for mediocre serves. Nadal hardly ever feels pressured on his serve on grass because the surface doesn't give a true bounce and true footing.