PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Warriors' Ellis out at least 3 months because of ankle injury

brettn
08-27-2008, 01:59 PM
The Golden State Warriors won't have Baron Davis or Monta Ellis in their starting lineup on opening night.

In the latest blow during a difficult summer for Golden State, ESPN.com has learned that Ellis -- just awarded one of the biggest pay raises in league history -- will be sidelined at least three months, possibly four, after suffering a severe high ankle sprain in his hometown of Jackson, Miss.

Ellis was scheduled to undergo surgery on his left ankle in Alabama on Wednesday, according to team sources, after he informed the club late last week that he had injured himself working out. More specifics about how Ellis sustained the injury were not immediately available.

Surgery is needed to repair a torn deltoid ligament, sources said, and the foot will need to be immobilized for the first six weeks.

It was less than a month ago that Ellis received a six-year, $66 million contract extension from the Warriors, whose tumultuous offseason began with Davis making a verbal commitment to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers on the very first day of free agency.

The contract calls for Ellis to earn a flat $11 million in each of the next six seasons. He made just $770,610 last season, the final year in a modest three-year deal he received as a second-round pick in 2005.

Golden State, which failed to reach the playoffs last season, insisted that it achieved its top two offseason priorities by re-signing Ellis and fellow restricted free agent Andris Biedrins.

The Warriors were nonetheless stunned by the sudden nature of Davis' departure -- as Davis initially was expected not to opt out of the final year of his contract -- and now have likely lost the prolific guard expected to inherit much of Davis' scoring responsibilities until December at the earliest.

The Warriors responded to Davis' exit by signing swingman Corey Maggette away from the Clippers to join co-captain Stephen Jackson, and by signing Los Angeles Lakers restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf to add bulk on their front line.

They also matched the Clippers' offer sheet to retain restricted free agent Kelenna Azubuike and acquired backup point guard Marcus Williams in a trade with New Jersey. The Warriors are likewise extremely high on first-round draft pick Anthony Randolph, and thus did little to prevent forwards Mickael Pietrus (Orlando) and Matt Barnes (Phoenix) from following Davis out the door.

It remains possible that the Warriors could trade forward Al Harrington before the start of the season, with Harrington reportedly open to a move. Yet there's really no replicating what Ellis provides for the Warriors, especially given coach Don Nelson's plans to use Ellis regularly at point guard after playing him primarily as a shooting guard in Ellis' first three pro seasons.

Ellis, 22, seemed to understand his importance to the team's post-Baron future when Ellis shared at a news conference in late July that Davis recently "told me it was time to hand over the torch."

Ellis averaged 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists last season. He won NBA Most Improved Player honors in the 2006-07 season, averaging 16.5 points, 3.2 rebounds and 4.1 assists.

The only solace for the Warriors is that Ellis does have a history of making strong, fast recoveries from major injuries. He slipped to No. 40 in the 2005 draft, in spite of a decorated high school career, because of a knee problem.

But he has since proven more productive in the NBA than any of the 10 players drafted out of high school that year, which was the last time high school players were eligible to be selected. That group includes No. 6 overall pick Martell Webster (Portland); No. 10 Andrew Bynum (Los Angeles Lakers); and No. 18 Gerald Green (drafted by Boston, now with Dallas).

Ellis suffered what initially appeared to be a serious knee injury during a summer-league practice in 2006, and endured an even scarier fall early in training camp last October that resulted in a neck sprain and required Ellis to be immobilized and carted off the court.

In both cases, though, Ellis missed minimal time. He appeared in 77 and 81 games, respectively, after the two injuries.

Ellis is also known for his boundless confidence, as evidenced when he scoffed at reporters' recent suggestions that the switch from shooting guard to the point will be a problem.

"I'm going to improve every part of my game," Ellis said last month. "That's what I do. That's why I play basketball . . . to improve and to become the best player [who] ever touched a basketball."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3556108

T Park
08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
A severe high ankle sprain puts someone out for 3 months?

Wow.

stretch
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
yea, people need to kindly drink a glass of shut the fuck up when calling Dirk weak, wimpy, soft, pussy, etc...

3 month injury. Dirk came back in what... a week?

monosylab1k
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Dirk's high ankle sprain kept him out less than two weeks. Further proof that the "soft" label on Dirk is one of the more idiotic things ever.

stretch
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Dirk's high ankle sprain kept him out less than two weeks. Further proof that the "soft" label on Dirk is one of the more idiotic things ever.

haha read my mind.

sribb43
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately, we will never be able to change the minds of the idiots that claim Dirk to be "soft".

Tully365
08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, we will never be able to change the minds of the idiots that claim Dirk to be "soft". As long as we know he is a solider, thats all that matter...F' the rest

Don't worry-- if Dirk becomes a free agent and so much as looks at any team in the entire league, you can be sure that the fans of those teams will jump on forums like this one and beg their front offices to get him. I can't imagine any fan in the league saying, naw, we don't need him-- he's too soft...

sribb43
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Don't worry-- if Dirk becomes a free agent and so much as looks at any team in the entire league, you can be sure that the fans of those teams will jump on forums like this one and beg their front offices to get him. I can't imagine any fan in the league saying, naw, we don't need him-- he's too soft...

True...once he is out of a mavs uniform, his slate will be cleaned and be regarded as an all-time great...see Steve Nash after 2003-04 season

benefactor
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Expect the Capt. Jack extension to come quickly now...

koriwhat
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM

no he is soft... no doubt about it. now go kick some exercise bikes and lose a 2-0 lead in the finals. the big pussy!

Findog
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
no he is soft... no doubt about it. now go kick some exercise bikes and lose a 2-0 lead in the finals. the big pussy!

:lmao at this stupid faggot.

JamStone
08-27-2008, 02:47 PM
He's a pussy.

Sho' nuff.

Findog
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
He's a pussy.

Sho' nuff.

You better pop yo breaks there, boy.

BWS-1994
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Things started out bad last season for GSW without Capt Jack.

Will it be the same this season?

Findog
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Let me get one of these to ponder the unfairness that has befallen Golden State:

:violin

baseline bum
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately, we will never be able to change the minds of the idiots that claim Dirk to be "soft".

Welcome to the club. Robinson never lived it down either after being outplayed by Olajuwon in 1 playoff series. But I guess soft players go out and take a cortisone shot to guard Shaq when they couldn't even walk a couple of days earlier.

rAm
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Well GSW can kiss goodbye a playoff spot.

Oh, and Dirk is a little bitch.

diego
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
if only he didnt play in the olympics.

this shows how selfish, unloyal, and ungrateful of america monta ellis is, getting injured in a worthless, extracurricular activity

Findog
08-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Well GSW can kiss goodbye a playoff spot.

Oh, and Dirk is a little bitch.

They weren't a playoff team to begin with.

IronMexican
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
This is the Warriors chance to tank and get Rubio

JMarkJohns
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Marcus Williams and Marco Belinelli will now get a ton of playing time, each probably developing at a faster rate and into better players than had Ellis not went down. I didn't consider them a playoff team this season, anyways, so this really doesn't hurt them for what they really should be striving for: their future...

Getting Williams and Belinelli PT will probably only benefit such.

xtremesteven33
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
i love that avatar..haha

stretch
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
You can't control what da ankles do man, yall crazy man!

this troll got old really fast. like after the first post or two.

hater
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I think Dirk is a softie with real strong ankles

IronMexican
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Agreed. Josh Howard troll needs to retire already. not every one can stay fresh like the Rappin' Aristotle.

NBA Junkie
08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Golden State's disastrous offseason continues...

angelbelow
08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
the good ews is that he'll be availiable in the late rounds for fantasy basketball.

Phenomanul
08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
if only he didnt play in the olympics.

this shows how selfish, unloyal, and ungrateful of america monta ellis is, getting injured in a worthless, extracurricular activity

Great sarcasm... but true...

+1

benefactor
08-27-2008, 10:03 PM
He's a pussy.

Sho' nuff.
Whos the master? :D

Most of the posters here are probably not old enough to even know who that is in your avatar. The movie itself was incredibly cheesy but its pretty hilarious if you watch it now.

Mad_Hatter
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM

it's because Dirk is white. yao gets that BS treatment too. yao's played with a broken foot.

Red Hawk #21
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Its time for Monta Ellis to become the next Jimmy Jackson...

Lp26
08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Rumor has it that he hurt it in a motorcycle accident. :nope

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-30-2008, 11:21 PM

there are different degrees of damage with ankle injuries, Dirk was lucky to not have ruptured a ligament/broken a bone.

You act like every ankle injury is the same and the time-table for return the same

pauls931
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Poor Warriors were the victim of an ultra competitive west last year. If they made the playoffs and the 2nd round again, they might have held the ship together. This team is going to stink this year.

Sissiborgo
08-31-2008, 02:04 PM
That will effect them allot.They don't have good PG left with Ellis out and they will suck these 3 months..

monosylab1k
08-31-2008, 02:08 PM
there are different degrees of damage with ankle injuries, Dirk was lucky to not have ruptured a ligament/broken a bone.

You act like every ankle injury is the same and the time-table for return the same

I said nothing of the sort you fucking retard. Dirk's ankle injury was severe enough that doctors predicted he would be out for the rest of the season. He made it back onto the court in less than 2 weeks.

And we're talking a high ankle sprain not a broken anything so learn to fucking read.

Sorry to burst your bubble Rocket Fag but not every player in the league is as big a pussy as T-Mac.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
I said nothing of the sort you fucking retard. Dirk's ankle injury was severe enough that doctors predicted he would be out for the rest of the season. He made it back onto the court in less than 2 weeks.

And we're talking a high ankle sprain not a broken anything so learn to fucking read.

Sorry to burst your bubble Rocket Fag but not every player in the league is as big a pussy as T-Mac.

The doctors were wrong dumb shit. If it was in fact serious, Dirk would not have come back.

Fuck you bitch. Your team sucks ass, dickface.:lmao

Angry little fuckface.

btw, Dirk is a fucking choke-job and you want to talk to me about pussies?
GMAMFB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7cG9NrfhM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAH1c8nMrA&feature=related
Look out for your right foot:lmao

dirk4mvp
08-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh
My
God

You do realize that you're a rocketfan trying to talk shit about choking right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2008, 05:13 PM
:lol

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh
My
God

You do realize that you're a rocketfan trying to talk shit about choking right?

He is talking about tmac being a pussy and tmac has done everything to carry this team in the postseason and winning and losing has NEVER come down to one of his misses--either ft or otherwise.

Dirk however, has specifically choked in the games and series.....heck, finals choke, followed by losing to an 8th seed(making history) and then following that with another first round loss. How is that for the NBAs elite team.

Nobody has ever put the rockets in the elite in the last 6 yrs, but they are climbing there with Artest and other recent adds. They must stay healthy and if so, they are in contention. Can't say that about Dallas.

dirk4mvp
08-31-2008, 05:19 PM
GTFO

Dirk has led his teams to several playoff series victories, meanwhile T-Mac hasn't won one yet, let alone giving up 3 series when his team led 3-1. 3 FUCKING TIMES! What kind of pussy lets that happen? If he's so badass, that shit wouldn't have happened right?

He is talking about tmac being a pussy and tmac has done everything to carry this team in the postseason and winning and losing has NEVER come down to one of his misses--either ft or otherwise.

Has a playoff series win ever come down to one of T-Macs makes--either ft or otherwise?

Nobody has ever put the rockets in the elite in the last 6 yrs

That must mean they didn't deserve to be called an elite team. Do you think it had to do with the fact that they have 2 of the top 10 players in the league and can't get out of the 1st round?

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
GTFO

Dirk has led his teams to several playoff series victories, meanwhile T-Mac hasn't won one yet, let alone giving up 3 series when his team led 3-1. 3 FUCKING TIMES! What kind of pussy lets that happen? If he's so badass, that shit wouldn't have happened right?

Has a playoff series win ever come down to one of T-Macs makes--either ft or otherwise?

That must mean they didn't deserve to be called an elite team. Do you think it had to do with the fact that they have 2 of the top 10 players in the league and can't get out of the 1st round?

Lets see which one of them retires with a ring, bitch. Lets track how it plays on from here. Tmac has a greater chance to do that given their loaded talent and mav's pathetic excuse for a team.

Btw, he brought the attack on first not me, I was not starting shit, just ending it. So kindly stay the fuck out of this.

dirk4mvp
08-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Lets see which one of them retires with a ring, bitch. Lets track how it plays on from here. Tmac has a greater chance to do that given their loaded talent and mav's pathetic excuse for a team.

Let's see, the best 2 players on the rockets are probably #1 and 2 respectively for biggest pussies in the league, a bunch of midgets who like to chuck 3's, and a guy who's a mental nutcase. :td

Btw, he brought the attack on first not me, I was not starting shit, just ending it. So kindly stay the fuck out of this.

:cry

Roxsfan
08-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Let's see, the best 2 players on the rockets are probably #1 and 2 respectively for biggest pussies in the league, a bunch of midgets who like to chuck 3's, and a guy who's a mental nutcase. :td

:cry

We'll see about that--you would nut in your pants if you had either player on your shit team. Looks like a bunch of pathetic, scared mavs fans with no optimism for the future. That's why the mavs were trying to get said nutcase a few weeks ago, stupid ass. Jealous are we:lmao

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 12:04 AM
following that with another first round loss.

Rockets fan trying to talk smack about a first round defeat? I think you'll find that in the dictionary under irony.

Nobody has ever put the rockets in the elite in the last 6 yrs

Well, nobody but delusional Rockets fans. They thought they were title contenders with Steve Francis :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
The doctors were wrong dumb shit. If it was in fact serious, Dirk would not have come back.

Fuck you bitch. Your team sucks ass, dickface.:lmao

Angry little fuckface.

btw, Dirk is a fucking choke-job and you want to talk to me about pussies?
GMAMFB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7cG9NrfhM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAH1c8nMrA&feature=related
Look out for your right foot:lmao

I'm just glad you aren't denying that T-Mac is a pussy. I win. Thanks.

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 12:14 AM
That's why the mavs were trying to get said nutcase a few weeks ago, stupid ass. Jealous are we

Not one bit. I love Ron Artest as a player, and would have cheered to have him on the Mavericks..............but if Dirk called him out immediately after he got signed, I'd be shitting my pants in fear of the chemistry issues.

Rockets fans want to brush off Yao's comments like they were nothing, but the rest of the NBA sees it for what it is - the chemistry in that locker room is going to be absolute hell.

So both the Mavs and Rockets are in for trainwreck seasons this year - the Mavs for making no moves at all, and the Rockets for making the wrong move. San Antonio will be worse this season, but remains the #1 team in Texas by default. Any way you look at it, NBA basketball in Texas is on it's way down.

Roxsfan
09-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Not one bit. I love Ron Artest as a player, and would have cheered to have him on the Mavericks..............but if Dirk called him out immediately after he got signed, I'd be shitting my pants in fear of the chemistry issues.

Rockets fans want to brush off Yao's comments like they were nothing, but the rest of the NBA sees it for what it is - the chemistry in that locker room is going to be absolute hell.

So both the Mavs and Rockets are in for trainwreck seasons this year - the Mavs for making no moves at all, and the Rockets for making the wrong move. San Antonio will be worse this season, but remains the #1 team in Texas by default. Any way you look at it, NBA basketball in Texas is on it's way down.

So you hope, as this will help you feel better as you watch your team suck ass. You are so transparent. This is NOT what will happen, this IS what YOU want to happen. Don't lie to yourself by denying this. You're jealous that we landed Artest and gave up absofuckinglutely nothing to get him. Sit back and watch, "Houston, Is your problem."

I'm just glad you aren't denying that T-Mac is a pussy. I win. Thanks.

blah, blah, fucking, blah blah. If he's a pussy, go fuck him.:rolleyes

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Did you think Artest was the basketball messiah before the rockets picked him up?

blah, blah, fucking, blah blah. If he's a pussy, go fuck him.

he hasn't or can't get fucked cuz he's still a 2nd round virgin :king

Roxsfan
09-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Did you think Artest was the basketball messiah before the rockets picked him up?

Fuck him in the first round, stupid ass:rolleyes

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 12:45 AM
This is NOT what will happen, this IS what YOU want to happen. Don't lie to yourself by denying this.

All I want is for the Mavericks to win a championship. It's painfully obvious that won't happen, so what the hell do I care what happens to the rest of the league? I say this with no hate for the Rockets. There's one team I love (Mavs) and one team I hate (Spurs) and that's it. I don't care much for the Rockets but i'd rather them win it than the Spurs or Lakers.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I've accepted the fate of my shitty team, I have no reason whatsoever to be jealous of the Rockets or allow the love of my own team cloud my judgment of yours. You, on the other hand, are the epitome of "blind homer" (as most Rockets fans are) and therefore think signing Artest give s your team a birthright to a dynasty. Fuck, you guys hailed the Steve Francis signing of a year ago and found your old Franchise posters to jack off to them. So don't talk to me about denying things. I'm telling it like it is, you're the one in denial if you think that Yao's comments don't mean the table is set for a disaster season in Houston.

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM

:lmao

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Fuck him in the first round, stupid ass:rolleyes

He's usually getting fucked pretty hard by an entire team at that time.

Roxsfan
09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
All I want is for the Mavericks to win a championship. It's painfully obvious that won't happen, so what the hell do I care what happens to the rest of the league? I say this with no hate for the Rockets. There's one team I love (Mavs) and one team I hate (Spurs) and that's it. I don't care much for the Rockets but i'd rather them win it than the Spurs or Lakers.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I've accepted the fate of my shitty team, I have no reason whatsoever to be jealous of the Rockets or allow the love of my own team cloud my judgment of yours. You, on the other hand, are the epitome of "blind homer" (as most Rockets fans are) and therefore think signing Artest give s your team a birthright to a dynasty. Fuck, you guys hailed the Steve Francis signing of a year ago and found your old Franchise posters to jack off to them. So don't talk to me about denying things. I'm telling it like it is, you're the one in denial if you think that Yao's comments don't mean the table is set for a disaster season in Houston.

Ok, I think for someone that comes across pretty reasonable on most of the quote above, you are placing way too much value in Yao's early comments. We will see how this plays out and whether you are right about chemistry or not. I happen to not place value in those comments as both have talked and cleared things up. I never said anything about a dynasty--please quote me where I have said this. All I am saying is that there have been 2 excuses for the rox since yao-tmac experiment. 1 is health and the other is role player talent/3rd scoring options. I belive # 2 is taken care of imo. Therefore, I believe health is the only thing holding the rox back from contending and ultimately taking the title from the hands of the lakers, celtics, and anyone else. Further, all I hear from anyone is how the rox WILL get hurt as if they are hoping for this. What I say is that if you are a man, you will hope for a healthy rox team so there would be NO excuses. If the rox are fully healthy, and get beat by the lakes or celts, I'm good with that as long as we are competitive and make a series out of it. I don't know if they will stay healthy, but I hope this will be the case. BTW, steve francis has lost weight and recovered from his surgery and should be able to contribute to the team--anything he can do is gravy---not like we lose anything there.

Roxsfan
09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
He's usually getting fucked pretty hard by an entire team at that time.

well, go join the party then:rolleyes

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

The Third Man
09-01-2008, 02:18 AM
As a longtime Houston Rockets fan who saw the Twin Towers era flame out almost overnight, I am pretty damned sure there is no such thing as a sure thing in the NBA. I like the Rockets chances this year and laugh in the face of fucking Mavericks and Grizzlies (really? they exist?) talking shit about anything (kiss the rings, bitches), but let's get real fellow Rockets fans- *this* team will have to prove it on the court. Yeah, we know Garnett only advanced out of the first round once before winning the championship this year- it doesn't mean it will happen for the Rockets just because they got Artest. We should just keep our heads down and see what happens in the playoffs.

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 02:22 AM
I see a grizzly and a sonic fan. I see no mavfan here.

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 02:23 AM
dumb fucking idiot.

The Third Man
09-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself, dude. I pinned you for merely a fucking idiot, but if you want to add a redundant "dumb" to that, go right ahead there, young genius. The Mav fan I was referring to is Monosylab1k. See his post up thread about who he roots for. All better? Now, go prepare for another 60 loss season, douchebag.

dirk4mvp
09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Reading this thread wouldn't give you any insight on who roots for who would it, you retarded faggot?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
:rollin