PDA

View Full Version : History Question - 05 Finals

2Cleva
08-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Did Sheed and Duncan guard each other in the Finals or was Ben Wallace on Duncan and Nazr/Horry on Sheed?

xtremesteven33
08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
i believe they changed it up. depending on the fouls

urunobili
08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
it changed all the time... Both Sheed and Ben were on Timee, but Timee was exclusively on Sheed

Barbarian
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
IIRC it was mostly Sheed. He probably guards Tim better than anyone else in the NBA.

baseline bum
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
IIRC it was mostly Sheed. He probably guards Tim better than anyone else in the NBA.

No doubt. Sheed was able to shut Tim down even when he was crushing everyone else in the 99 playoffs.

2Cleva
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Appreciate that - thanks.

In case you're curious - I'm in an all-time league where gameplaning is used to deterimine winner of teams that are built (draft/trade/free agency). I was able to draft MJ, trade for prime Hill, and saved my money to get Duncan in FA. So I'm sitting pretty as the league favorite but the team I expect to play in Rd 2 is a tough one so I gotta plan.

A look at the rosters

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6721/harcy5.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3685/swedenti7.jpg

duncan228
08-27-2008, 03:32 PM

No doubt. Sheed was able to shut Tim down even when he was crushing everyone else in the 99 playoffs.

What they said.

Rasheed has given Duncan more grief than almost anyone in the league. He's long, he's strong, and he's been playing against Duncan forever. He knows Duncan's moves well.

pad300
08-27-2008, 04:13 PM
A better description would be they were both covering Duncan... Really, they basically ignored the Spurs 2nd big (Nazr Mohammed/Robert Horry) assuming he wasn't going to score enough to make them care. They did pay that assumption in games 5 and 7. (Robert Horry was our 2nd leading scorer in game 5 and 3ed scorer in game 7).

mrspurs
08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
This is funny. Sheed never could stop Timmy. Shut down? hahaha The only person who has ever shut down Timmy is Tyson Chandler and David Robinson in practice. Sheed shutting down Timmy that is real funny. It was the other way around. Timmy shut down Sheed.

Leetonidas
08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
This is funny. Sheed never could stop Timmy. Shut down? hahaha The only person who has ever shut down Timmy is Tyson Chandler and David Robinson in practice. Sheed shutting down Timmy that is real funny. It was the other way around. Timmy shut down Sheed.

Nah. It's pretty well known that Rasheed is one of the only players who can guard Tim really well.

bdictjames
08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
You have not been paying attention to Spurs-Detroit games.

I would put Diop on the list as well though; people have been underestimating his ability to guard Tim. But Chandler? WTH?

Barbarian
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

I don't think anyone said sheed shuts tim down. No one can shut him down. But Sheed definitely makes him work harder than anyone else does.

Brutalis
08-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Very true. They traded blocks on each other often. Offensive it was no contest however.

HarlemHeat37
08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
definitely agree with everyone else..

Chandler shut him down for the most part too, but this is Duncan at the end of his prime, or maybe past his prime..

Rasheed actually played very well defensively vs. Tim in his prime..and everybody knows how great Tim was in his prime..definitely believe he's the best defender to play against Duncan..I don't agree with Diop..Duncan has had bad games vs. Dallas, but he's also had his fair share of games where he completely dominated them, including the playoff series in 2006..

Solid D
08-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Antonio McDyess also defended Timmy. He had some nice offensive contributions here and there.

Sheed going out in the Game 5, due to foul trouble, helped the Spurs make their comeback. Some people thought Larry Brown kept him out too long.

Solid D
08-28-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm having browser reset trouble tonight...

Anyways, I agree with the others regarding Rasheed doing the best job defending Timmy over the years. Shaq doesn't do a bad job either.

Sean Cagney
08-28-2008, 12:58 AM
definitely agree with everyone else..

Chandler shut him down for the most part too, but this is Duncan at the end of his prime, or maybe past his prime..

Rasheed actually played very well defensively vs. Tim in his prime..and everybody knows how great Tim was in his prime..definitely believe he's the best defender to play against Duncan..I don't agree with Diop..Duncan has had bad games vs. Dallas, but he's also had his fair share of games where he completely dominated them, including the playoff series in 2006..

He literally ATE THEM ALIVE in 06, his best playoff series I have seen from him, Hakeem like domination. He shot well over 50% and near 32 ppg in that series, I have not seen him play that well in his whole career lol, he went off in that series for real. Rasheed has played Tim well in his prime like you said, he was the one guy who could one on one guard him, sure Tim got him a number of times on his good nights, but Rasheed could guard him better than anyone IMO. Chandler did very well on him in the playoffs, but he was sick in that game one and slowed down from the schedule too IMO, he is older now and every other day? No rest? That contributed as well. Sheed did very well in 05 Finals holding him to a bad for him PCT. of 42%, Ben helped out alot too on him on that part. I know Tim outscored and rebounded them BOTH in games one and two, but neither is the O player he is by any means.

Sean Cagney
08-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Antonio McDyess also defended Timmy. He had some nice offensive contributions here and there.

Sheed going out in the Game 5, due to foul trouble, helped the Spurs make their comeback. Some people thought Larry Brown kept him out too long.

That was game 7, he had Sheed out too long in game 7 IMO.

mystargtr34
08-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Diop doesnt come close, Tim put up 31 PPG on 50%+ shooting in that 7 game series.

Chandler, no way.... Tim was under constant double and triple team pressure for the most part.

Sheed on the other hand has always had more success than anyone else, although its strange because Duncan dominated him in their college head to head matchups, even being 2 years younger - but during their pro careers Sheed has guarded him really well.

In their 33 regular season meeting throughout their careers.

Tim Duncan

19.5 PPG
.456 %
11.9 RPG
3.3 APG
2.2 BPG
39.2 MPG

Sheed'

15.2 PPG
.416 %
7.0 RPG
1.7 APG
1.6 BPG
35.2 MPG

You wont find probly any other constant Duncan defender holding Timmy to .456 % shooting, but hes stil pretty much got his all round numbers against Sheed.

Solid D
08-28-2008, 01:11 AM
That was game 7, he had Sheed out too long in game 7 IMO.

Yeah, that's right. Mixing the two in my mind, I guess.

ambchang
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Didn't Duncan outscore and outrebound the Wallace brothers (combined) for the series (or at least a good number of games) in 05?

z0sa
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Didn't Duncan outscore and outrebound the Wallace brothers (combined) for the series (or at least a good number of games) in 05?

Outscored, no question. Now outrebounded ... dunno about that one.

Sean Cagney
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Outscored, no question. Now outrebounded ... dunno about that one.

The first two games he outscored and outrebounded both of the Wallaces combined!!!! Thats serious.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Sheed probably gets fired up for Timmy ever since TD shut down Wallace in the NCAA's.

Wallace is probably the NBA's best unmotivated player. When he chooses to try hard he has always been a force.

BUMP
08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Appreciate that - thanks.

In case you're curious - I'm in an all-time league where gameplaning is used to deterimine winner of teams that are built (draft/trade/free agency). I was able to draft MJ, trade for prime Hill, and saved my money to get Duncan in FA. So I'm sitting pretty as the league favorite but the team I expect to play in Rd 2 is a tough one so I gotta plan.

A look at the rosters

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6721/harcy5.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3685/swedenti7.jpg
ummmmmmmm....what?