PDA

View Full Version : So, a PS3

MannyIsGod
08-28-2008, 01:11 AM
How awesome are they? Should I go get one?

PM5K
08-28-2008, 01:18 AM
I want one, mostly for Blu-Ray....

I would also like to play MGS and Resistance....

I wouldn't buy it if you only wanted to play games, the 360 has a better library at this point, but if you want it as a Blu-Ray player it's a better deal.

CuckingFunt
08-28-2008, 01:26 AM
How awesome are they? Should I go get one?

Still the best Blu-Ray player available, and a damned impressive looking group of exclusive titles getting ready to drop. I'm planning to get one, but am holding out hope that the holidays may bring a price reduction.

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 01:53 AM
They suck ass for everything except blu-ray. i have one

Sense
08-28-2008, 02:24 AM
I want one, mostly for Blu-Ray....

I would also like to play MGS and Resistance....

I wouldn't buy it if you only wanted to play games, the 360 has a better library at this point, but if you want it as a Blu-Ray player it's a better deal.

that's why I went with a laptop that has a blu-ray..

you get the best gaming on windows

but as far as it being better than the xbox? at this point I believe so...
blu ray... free online gaming...

yeah this is better

blademaster
08-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Ps3 is all right i have it but it does not touch the 360 when it comes to online game play and onine features, thats why you pay $50 or $60 a year for xbox live, sure sony is free online but theres a reason, cuz their online features pretty much suck. They are starting to make some improvements.

There are still tons more game titles for the xbox 360. Blu Ray on the ps3 is cool but you will find most movies are still not out for Blu Ray they may have a couple hundred titles so far but the catalog is growing. NOw that hd dvd is dead in the water you will see a lot more blu ray titles.

PM5K
08-28-2008, 02:45 AM
You can't argue the fact that the 360 has a better game lineup, almost every top game that the PS3 has the 360 has, in addition the 360 has a lot of other exclusive games that the PS3 does not, while the PS3 only has a handfull of good games that aren't available on the 360.

Free online gaming and Blu-Ray doesn't make for a better game console, it does make it a better high def movie player, that and the combination of a very select number of highly rated exclusive titles certainly make it worth buying.

I'm pretty sure Manny has an HDTV...

If it didn't play Blu-Ray movies I wouldn't even begin to consider buying one...

MannyIsGod
08-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Yeah I have an HD rig. I don't know if I'm into gaming enough to buy one, but I was thinking about it.

Sense
08-28-2008, 02:58 AM
I don't have a PS3 or a 360, I was planning on buyin a 360 for the games.. but never really did.

Instead I bought a laptop hp9830..

blu ray, 17 ", 8600 gs video card, 4 gig ram.. and since I needed a laptop to begin with this is all I need..

PM5K
08-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah I have an HD rig. I don't know if I'm into gaming enough to buy one, but I was thinking about it.

If you want a Blu-Ray player you might as well get a PS3...

Heath Ledger
08-28-2008, 04:23 AM
hey cucking there isnt going to be another price drop this year for the ps3. They recently had one. So don't hold your breath.

Slomo
08-28-2008, 05:33 AM
The original 60GB model was the most feature rich player (currently the only SACD player that outputs 5 digital sound channels over HDMI). How much of the original features are still in the current models?

florige
08-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Whatever you do don't buy the 40gig version.

Brutalis
08-28-2008, 08:27 AM
They suck ass for everything except blu-ray. i have one

Yeah I got a couple friends regretting buying them.

Slydragon
08-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I have both a PS3 and Xbox, as of now I play the PS3 more only because most my friends are playing Call of Duty 4 on the PS3 but you can also play it on Xbox so it's a moot point.

Monday is a big day for my PS3, Socom beta comes out. I have been a Socom freak since Socom 1 on PS2. I will have at least 1 (maybe 3) extra beta keys that I will give out on Mon. or Tues. if anyone is interested.

E20
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Still the best Blu-Ray player available, and a damned impressive looking group of exclusive titles getting ready to drop. I'm planning to get one, but am holding out hope that the holidays may bring a price reduction.

Pretty much the same for me. But I'm not even going to buy one. I don't have any money.

Mixability
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Just got one last friday(80gb).

Best purchase I've made in a while. Other than the HDTV to go with it.

I was planning on just getting the exclusive games for it, since I have a wii and 360 already. But the games I've tried already, look damn good, so I might have to decide whats more important, gamerscore on the 360 or the graphics on the PS3. :downspin:

florige
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Just got one last friday(80gb).

Best purchase I've made in a while. Other than the HDTV to go with it.

I was planning on just getting the exclusive games for it, since I have a wii and 360 already. But the games I've tried already, look damn good, so I might have to decide whats more important, gamerscore on the 360 or the graphics on the PS3. :downspin:

Smart man going with the 80gb version. I'm just waiting now for NBA2k9 to come out.

midgetonadonkey
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I love the fact that I can use my laptop as a media server and play all of the videos and music I download on the PS3 and watch bootlegs on my TV. I used to transfer them to DVD and then play them on my PS2 before. I don't know if XBOX360 has that capability. Also, the games look incredible on my HDTV. I'm not much for online gaming so that part of it isn't really important to me, but when I do play COD4 online it's great. I don't have any complaints about it.

leemajors
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I love the fact that I can use my laptop as a media server and play all of the videos and music I download on the PS3 and watch bootlegs on my TV. I used to transfer them to DVD and then play them on my PS2 before. I don't know if XBOX360 has that capability. Also, the games look incredible on my HDTV. I'm not much for online gaming so that part of it isn't really important to me, but when I do play COD4 online it's great. I don't have any complaints about it.

xbox media center can do basically the same thing, i think.

Sissiborgo
08-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I would recomend Xbox 360 but PS3 is a great computer....:toast

dirk4mvp
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
free online gaming...

I'd rather pay $50 a year for xbl than that abortion of an attempt of online for free on the ps3.

lefty
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Ps3 FUCKS xbox 360

dirk4mvp
08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Ps3 FUCKS xbox 360

neat

anything to back your claim up?

Evan
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM

But the Blu Ray player alone is reason to buy one as its cheaper than most BR players.

I love the PS3...I don't regret buying one at all. I know two people who's 360's have broken down so many times they are now collecting dust.

Also I am also not the type of person who nit picks the hell out of everything they buy.

Evan
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Whatever you do don't buy the 40gig version.

I have one..works great. Whats your problem with it?

Evan
08-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Yup...I have an external 500gig hard drive I hook right into it.

SAtown
08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I love the fact that I can use my laptop as a media server and play all of the videos and music I download on the PS3 and watch bootlegs on my TV.

What do you use on your laptop to get the server to work? WMP?

PM5K
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Yup...I have an external 500gig hard drive I hook right into it.

I got a 750, HA HA HA HA, I beat you...

But seriously, what do you have on it?

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I got a 750, HA HA HA HA, I beat you...

But seriously, what do you have on it?

3 things...

1. I do a lot of freelance work on websites so I have them all backed up

2. A huge MMA (mixed martial arts) library

3. Some pron like every other red blooded male :lol

PM5K
08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
You have a PS3 or a 360?

florige
08-28-2008, 09:27 PM
I have one..works great. Whats your problem with it?

It works okay and stuff. I just don't like the fact that I can't play my old PS2 games on it. So maybe I should re-phrase it. If you are all about the new games only go with the 40gig unit. But other than that it is fine so far.

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
You have a PS3 or a 360?

PS3.

I have zero interest in a 360 as the failure rate and constant add on costs are unacceptable.

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
It works okay and stuff. I just don't like the fact that I can't play my old PS2 games on it. So maybe I should re-phrase it. If you are all about the new games only go with the 40gig unit. But other than that it is fine so far.

ah ok. Fair enough.

I don't car about that as I have sold all of my old games on eBay since I have already played them to death.

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
let me add though...the 360 is a cool machine. in a year or two when the cost is lower and they had their problems solved and more add ons are standard I will buy one for sure as I have always had the top two systems since the SNES.

Heath Ledger
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
The failure rate on the newly bought 360's are a non issue, they have been redesigned to prevent the overheating problems that caused the rrod

midgetonadonkey
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
What do you use on your laptop to get the server to work? WMP?

WMP didn't work right for some reason. I use Nero Media Home.

florige
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
ah ok. Fair enough.

I don't car about that as I have sold all of my old games on eBay since I have already played them to death.

Yeah, I am just weird in sometimes wanting to play so of the older games. Brings back memories.... It's weird though, for whatever reason it plays PS1 games fine. Go figure....

let me add though...the 360 is a cool machine. in a year or two when the cost is lower and they had their problems solved and more add ons are standard I will buy one for sure as I have always had the top two systems since the SNES.

I actually bought a 360 Halo Edition first. I actually liked it. But I was just so hell bent on Playstation from the beginning I just never could get over it. So I sold it and got me a PS3. But yeah I'm with you, I never had any problems with mine overheating or anything. From what I'm hearing, my co-workers kids said that the one I sold them is still working fine.

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
The failure rate on the newly bought 360's are a non issue, they have been redesigned to prevent the overheating problems that caused the rrod

says who? Two of my friends have new XBOX's issued from the factory and both have been sent back recently to replace older broken ones.

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I am just weird in sometimes wanting to play so of the older games. Brings back memories.... It's weird though, for whatever reason it plays PS1 games fine. Go figure....

I actually bought a 360 Halo Edition first. I actually liked it. But I was just so hell bent on Playstation from the beginning I just never could get over it. So I sold it and got me a PS3. But yeah I'm with you, I never had any problems with mine overheating or anything. From what I'm hearing, my co-workers kids said that the one I sold them is still working fine.

One odd thing about the PS3...its damn heavy. Its like it has a metal brick in it.

Hey don't forget...when we get decent at madden we're playing...I refuse to play anyone but you since I am sure some 6 year old in Florida will beat me 127 to 3. :lol

Evan
WMP didn't work right for some reason. I use Nero Media Home.

how do I do that? I have NMH.

florige
says who? Two of my friends have new XBOX's issued from the factory and both have been sent back recently to replace older broken ones.

Are they actually one of the new ones, or just remans?

Evan
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Are they actually one of the new ones, or just remans?

1 friend was promised it was a brand new one.

the other I am not sure.

I don't mean to keep trashing the 360 since like I said, I plan on buying one in a year or so. I loved my XBOX...

florige
08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
One odd thing about the PS3...its damn heavy. Its like it has a metal brick in it.

Hey don't forget...when we get decent at madden we're playing...I refuse to play anyone but you since I am sure some 6 year old in Florida will beat me 127 to 3. :lol

Yeah dude most definately! I really haven't had time to play it much though, but yeah that is def a plan. Man I would get killed right now if I played anyone else too. I refuse to play anyone until I get good at it like you said. I'm not trying to go in and get massacred like you said by some kid. :lol

Man that thing is heavy as bricks man. Sometimes I let my brother borrow it sometimes, and I dread having to carry that freakin thing around.

florige
08-28-2008, 10:04 PM
1 friend was promised it was a brand new one.

the other I am not sure.

I don't mean to keep trashing the 360 since like I said, I plan on buying one in a year or so. I loved my XBOX...

Nah dude, the one I sold my co-workers kids was a replacement for theirs that overheated and had already been sent back to Microsoft like 10 other times before. So finally they just said screw it and wanted to go with another one. Since I already had my PS3 I sold them my pretty much new one at a price break. But it was def a problem as is evident with the ever so devastating "three lights of death" or something to that effect.:lol Whatever the phrase was once those lights came on you were pretty much screwed.....

midgetonadonkey
08-29-2008, 12:19 AM
how do I do that? I have NMH.

Run Nero Scout first and then when that's done just run NMH and it will pop up as a media server on the PS3.

Heath Ledger
08-29-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2008/08/microsoft_annou_1.html