PDA

View Full Version : Are the Saints coming here?

JudynTX
08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
:rolleyes Yea, whatever!

:lol

sontinospurs
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Report was to possibly practice next week. People over at Saintsreport.com have already started their bashing of San Antonio. Truly paranoid.:ihit

JudynTX
08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Report was to possibly practice next week. People over at Saintsreport.com have already started their bashing of San Antonio. Truly paranoid.:ihit

I admit, I attended one Saints game @ the dome. :lol Then Saintsreport.com started talking all that shit about San Antonians, etc. :bang Idiot fans!

sontinospurs
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Most of those people on that site probably don't even live in New Orleans.:sleep

JudynTX
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Most of those people on that site probably don't even live in New Orleans.:sleep

You're probably right. :lol

Trainwreck2100
08-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I admit, I attended one Saints game @ the dome. :lol Then Saintsreport.com started talking all that shit about San Antonians, etc. :bang Idiot fans!

They are bitching and the Saints are the ones that called the city not vice/versa

IceColdBrewski
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Once again, the Saints come crawling to SA for help, and we'll end up being the evil "vultures" as far as Saints fans are concerned.

JudynTX
08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Once again, the Saints come crawling to SA for help, and we'll end up being the evil "vultures" as far as Saints fans are concerned.

Yep! Why can't they go play in Iowa or something? :lol

Trainwreck2100
08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
its not like the interior of the superdome will be that messed up if it goes down. Nagin already said that won't be a shelter

JudynTX
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Whew! They aren't coming here after all. :rolleyes

fyatuk
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Nope. Not very surprising, either. Would have been a bad PR move to come back here after the fiasco a few years ago.

Donkey21
08-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah for people who dont know they will be going to Indy and practicing at new stadium for the week. Was reported last night during the game against Miami.

tlongII
08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
The Saints would have been much better off had they relocated to SA.

bresilhac
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I agree. It was one dumb, stupid move for Benson and Tagliabue to collude to bring the Saints back to New Orleans after the hospitality San Antonio showed the team. But, imo the Saints will vacate that flood zone one day soon anyway.

Trainwreck2100
08-29-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree. It was one dumb, stupid move for Benson and Tagliabue to collude to bring the Saints back to New Orleans after the hospitality San Antonio showed the team. But, imo the Saints will vacate that flood zone one day soon anyway.

It would have been dumb and stupid to leave town after all the stuff went down and would have been really bad PR

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM

The thing is, the sports teams are a catharsis for their cities. The Saints and Hornets going back helped New Orleans heal.

Of course, Gustav's looking like it may finish that city off for good.

Brutalis
08-30-2008, 07:31 PM

Made lots of $$$ too.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 08:22 PM

There was a lot of rumors about them comingt to LA, but i wouldn't want them.

Raiders or bust for me. fuck any other team that comes here.

LakerHater
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Nah they're headed to Indy!

CubanMustGo
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
They can send their 'fugees there too.

SpursFanFirst
08-31-2008, 12:09 AM

Oh good grief. Besides, plenty of people came here after Katrina.

Anyway, I can't figure out how they chose Indy to practice. It seems a little out of the way.

Trainwreck2100
08-31-2008, 12:18 AM

Is it possible to funnel them to oklahoma somehow. The logistics here arent that good

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Made lots of $$$ too.

Not really. The Saints are for the whole Gulf Coast really while in NO. If they were in SA, the market size would have shrunk.

ChuckD
08-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Not really. The Saints are for the whole Gulf Coast really while in NO. If they were in SA, the market size would have shrunk.

Uh, by that logic and wide area, our market, with games on Sundays most of the time, could be San Antonio/Austin.

That being said, the NFL can kiss my ass. It's quite obvious they don't want a team in this market, so I'll be damned if I'll shell for game tickets to temporarily support some out of town owner, down on his luck. I went to two games last time, but I wouldn't even attend any this time. If the Super dome gets the roof ripped off again and gets trashed, Benson had better not be thinking of a warm welcome in SA. Between the trashed national economy and many San Antonians feeling slightly burned from last time, I think he'd have a hard time getting more than 40,000 for games.

bresilhac
09-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Uh, by that logic and wide area, our market, with games on Sundays most of the time, could be San Antonio/Austin.

That being said, the NFL can kiss my ass. It's quite obvious they don't want a team in this market, so I'll be damned if I'll shell for game tickets to temporarily support some out of town owner, down on his luck. I went to two games last time, but I wouldn't even attend any this time. If the Super dome gets the roof ripped off again and gets trashed, Benson had better not be thinking of a warm welcome in SA. Between the trashed national economy and many San Antonians feeling slightly burned from last time, I think he'd have a hard time getting more than 40,000 for games.

Don't be so bitter Chuck. The reason why the NFL has been kept out of San Antonio for so long was because there was a commissioner who thought very little of the city. Paul Tagliabue was notorious for not wanting a team in San Antonio. He even went so far as to personally block Tom Benson's move of the Saints here in 2005. Everything about that move made sense financially and still does. But it was killed by Tagliabue. Now, there is a commissioner who does not have the same hatred for San Antonio. Roger Goodell can and will allow the NFL to come to San Antonio simply because he believes, correctly, that the area can support a team. Because of this San Antonio will soon get either an expansion team or a team from another city. It's inevitable.

ChuckD
09-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Don't be so bitter Chuck. The reason why the NFL has been kept out of San Antonio for so long was because there was a commissioner who thought very little of the city. Paul Tagliabue was notorious for not wanting a team in San Antonio. He even went so far as to personally block Tom Benson's move of the Saints here in 2005. Everything about that move made sense financially and still does. But it was killed by Tagliabue. Now, there is a commissioner who does not have the same hatred for San Antonio. Roger Goodell can and will allow the NFL to come to San Antonio simply because he believes, correctly, that the area can support a team. Because of this San Antonio will soon get either an expansion team or a team from another city. It's inevitable.

Keep dreaming. The city of SA commissioned a panel to determine interest by ANY of the other three major sports to see what the lay of the land is regarding SA. It was headed by the husband of that new city manager, who has worked with each league before on behalf of Phoenix.

There is no interest in SA by any of the other three major sports leagues, and SA has decided to not pursue it.

fyatuk
09-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Anyway, I can't figure out how they chose Indy to practice. It seems a little out of the way.

Because Indy has a now empty RCA Dome they can use without disturbing the Colts and without interruptions for them.

fyatuk
09-02-2008, 07:47 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. SA has ZERO chance at an expansion team, and the Saints are the only team that might ever move here.

There's no benefit for the NFL to put a team in SA. Hell, Monterrey or Mexico City would bring more to the NFL than SA would. Plus, the NFL needs at least one open capable market, and SA fits the bill. Otherwise you end up with what's happening now, ie 6 or 7 teams trying to get new stadiums and the cities not willing to cut sweetheart deals because the threat of moving isn't effective with only 2 potentially viable open markets.

bresilhac
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. SA has ZERO chance at an expansion team, and the Saints are the only team that might ever move here.

There's no benefit for the NFL to put a team in SA. Hell, Monterrey or Mexico City would bring more to the NFL than SA would. Plus, the NFL needs at least one open capable market, and SA fits the bill. Otherwise you end up with what's happening now, ie 6 or 7 teams trying to get new stadiums and the cities not willing to cut sweetheart deals because the threat of moving isn't effective with only 2 potentially viable open markets.

There are so many negative, nay-saying posters on this and other forums that I won't even bother listing why San Antonio is a natural for an NFL team. Just know that it is and that the NFL can and will come here. But one question. If there is no point in the NFL coming to San Antonio then why are there at least seven other markets that are smaller than it that have teams including: Indianapolis, Kansas City, Buffalo, Nashville and Jacksonville? Answer me that.

Extra Stout
09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
The only market on that list that is smaller than San Antonio is Jacksonville.

San Antonio is not a good choice for an NFL team. In order to delude oneself into thinking that it is, one must:
1) Pretend that the Alamodome is a viable NFL stadium in the 2010's.
2) Pretend that San Antonio has a much larger corporate presence than it actually does.
3) Pretend that the NFL doesn't notice things like a major telecom company moving its headquarters because the city's infrastructure is inadequate.
4) Pretend that the difficulty a 4-time champion NBA team has filling a 18,500-seat arena for playoff games doesn't mean anything for the NFL.
5) Pretend that the existence of the Jacksonville Jaguars actually helps the argument for San Antonio, as opposed to the financial plight of the team in that market hurting the argument.

It simply takes a lot of pretending and denial. For some reasons, there are people trapped in the 1980s/1990s mindset that professional sports franchises say something about the worth of a city. Pro sports teams are just expensive toys that cities have which are nice because they can give total strangers something in common to talk about.

San Antonio doesn't need an NFL team anyway, and the few people that could afford the tickets without corporate subsidy are wealthy enough to fly their private jets to Cowboys games if they want. If SA has some money laying around, the first priority should be to build a decent airport before Valero and Clear Channel follow at&t out of town, not try to attract an NFL team.

fyatuk
09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
There are so many negative, nay-saying posters on this and other forums that I won't even bother listing why San Antonio is a natural for an NFL team. Just know that it is and that the NFL can and will come here. But one question. If there is no point in the NFL coming to San Antonio then why are there at least seven other markets that are smaller than it that have teams including: Indianapolis, Kansas City, Buffalo, Nashville and Jacksonville? Answer me that.

Jacksonville, Buffalo, and New Orleans are the only DMA's smaller.

Explaining this never works, but I'll try it again.

The majority of revenue for the NFL comes from it's TV contracts. In fact, the per team payout of the TV contracts is roughly equal to the salary cap, which is 60% of FBI.

New Orleans pulls viewers to TVs throughout the entire Gulf Coast, mostly for its history. I've said before I think Jacksonville and Buffalo should be the teams to move (Jax to LA and Buffalo to Toronto), which would add tremendously to the TV contract. Neither Jax nor Buffalo add any real benefit to the TV contract because most of their areas overlap other teams.

Putting a team in SA would be pointless because SA is in the overlap of Cowboys and Texans. In addition, SA already puts up ratings higher than many home markets for the NFL. You gain no viewers and no new coverage area by placing a team in SA, so revenue will not go up. Hence pointless.

It's even more pointless for expansion since it would add no value to the TV contract, but would divide the revenue in another direction.

That's not saying San Antonio would not support a football team. I definitely think it would. There's just no benefit to the NFL to do it.