View Full Version : The Cavaliers are Star Gazing

Thunder Dan
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Pat's Beside the Point: Superstar gazing

Cavaliers aligning themselves for a running mate for LeBron

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports columnist

Published on Sunday, Aug 24, 2008
It's time to change our thinking about the future of LeBron James, time to turn the viewpoint that James will leave Cleveland on its ear — for good reason.

Because the Cavs seem to have something very slick and important up their sleeve. And that is to keep James and give him a superstar-caliber cohort as a teammate.

The vision — and it's not a pipe dream — has James staying and playing on the same team as Dwyane Wade. Or Chris Bosh. Or Josh Howard. Or Amare Stoudamire. Or any of the other big-name NBA guys who can become a free agent in the summer of 2010.

Don't laugh.

There is only one NBA team positioned to sign two superstars in 2010, and that's the Cavaliers.

That's because there's only one team with a superstar and the cap room to sign another.

Everyone has been focusing on the cap space of the New Jersey Nets or the New York Knicks or Athens, Greece, but the Cavs quietly have manipulated themselves to the point that they have more salary-cap room than anyone for that offseason.

The Cavs have almost $30 million in cap space — and that counts James' salary, which will go away when he opts out of his final year.

As of today the Cavs have four players under contract (sort of) in 2010-11: James for $17 million (though he's probably going to be a free agent), Maurice Williams for $9.3 million, Daniel Gibson for $4 million and J.J. Hickson on a team option for $1.5 million.

That's it.

Wally Szczerbiak's contract expires after this season.

Ben Wallace goes after two seasons.

So does Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Other players surely will be added to the roster, but the Cavs won't add anyone who will compromise their ability to bring in talent in 2010.

This, apparently, is what General Manager Danny Ferry always talks about when he says he wants to maintain future roster flexibility.

The Cavs realistically will be able to re-sign James and add another top-caliber player, as well as the other pieces and parts needed to make a team.

All they have to do is sign the other free agents first, then sign LeBron. Because NBA rules state a team can go over the cap to sign its free agent.

Another team might want to add James, of course. But no other team will be able to add James and another max contract. To do so, a team would need $40 million or so in cap room. The cap is projected to be $60 million in 2010, which means a team would have two guys with max deals and a bunch of other ''guys'' who would average, at the most, $2 million a year.

Which means it would be a bunch of Developmental League guys and two stars.

The myth of NBA free agency is that a standout will leave his team willingly.

The reality is that it doesn't happen that often. The perception grows because it is a huge story when someone like Steve Nash or Shaquille O'Neal changes teams. Most of the time, a player stays where he can make the most money for the longest number of years.

So the thinking should be to expect James to stay.

But the reality is that he could stay, and the Cavs — not the Knicks or the Los Angeles Lakers or the Miami Heat — could add another star to go with him.

Enough with the angst already.

As the Cavs no doubt are thinking — and if they're not thinking this way, they're nuts — it's not about James leaving Cleveland in 2010. It's about what superstar will join him in Cleveland.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/mcmanamon/27328589.html?page=2&c=y

Pero
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Isn't that James good friends with Boozer? ....

EJK5032
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Isn't that James good friends with Boozer? ....

uhhh, the Cavs already had Boozer........and he betrayed the Cavs blind owner and left for Utah. I don't see him coming back or the Cavs wanting him back.

BlackSwordsMan
08-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Duncan is a free agent in 2012!

baseline bum
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I hope he stays, but I think he's going to Brooklyn to play in a big market. They have capspace to sign a max free agent in addition to James as well as some intriguing young talent in Harris and Yi (although they would have to decline their option on Yi to have that second max slot if the salary cap doesn't jump $4-$5 million in the next two years).

Tully365
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Two stars + 13 guys making 2 mil/year would not win a championship. LeBron James has a good basketball mind, and he knows that he'll need a team around him to win, not just one other guy. I still think the big mistake the Cavs made was not trading Big Z the minute they could see that Lebron was the real deal-- he still had trade value 3 years ago, but now he's just getting slower by the minute and playing out his contract.

Allanon
08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Cavaliers have played their cap cards right. Only bad side is LeBron has to waste 2 more years of his career churning his wheels. The Cavs as currently constructed cannot win a championship.

That said, I think he's going to be sick of the Cavaliers, tired of losing and would welcome a change of scenery.

In 2010, he'll be in 1 of these 4 places: New York, New Jersey, Miami or a sign and trade to Portland. One very slim possibility would be Los Angeles as Kobe might be a free agent in 2010.

Thunder Dan
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I think the point of the article for those who read it was to point out that the cavs are the only team that can sign two stars and build a team around them. The nets cant do that, the knicks can't do it. The cavs can

I hope he stays, but I think he's going to Brooklyn to play in a big market. They have capspace to sign a max free agent in addition to James as well as some intriguing young talent in Harris and Yi (although they would have to decline their option on Yi to have that second max slot if the salary cap doesn't jump $4-$5 million in the next two years).

they don't have the cap space to sign Lebron and someone else. See article posted above

Pero
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
uhhh, the Cavs already had Boozer........and he betrayed the Cavs blind owner and left for Utah. I don't see him coming back or the Cavs wanting him back.

You missed my point. Monkey see, monkey do.

Allanon
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I think the point of the article for those who read it was to point out that the cavs are the only team that can sign two stars and build a team around them. The nets cant do that, the knicks can't do it. The cavs can

they don't have the cap space to sign Lebron and someone else. See article posted above

I don't believe this article is accurate in saying the Nets won't have the room to sign 2 stars. The Nets only have $23 million in guaranteed contracts for 2010, leaving them about $60 million for the 2010 Free Agent market. This includes Vince Carter's $17 million which will probably be traded off this year as an expiring contract. The writer counted the Nets' "team option" salaries in his numbers which is not accurate at all since the team could just drop the player.

The Nets are by far in the best position to get LeBron as far as money is concerned and they have enough money to sign BOTH LeBron + Wade in 2010. They could even sign Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire too if they traded Vince Carter.

In the case of the Knicks, their only remaining large contract is Zach Randolph's. And if you look around, he's in quite a few trade scenarios already. I am quite sure he'll be traded long before 2010. An added bonus for the Knicks is since they will be sucking this year, they'll be getting another high lottery pick so by the time LeBron is available, the Knicks would have 2-3 mature high lottery picks. Add in the Knicks are backed by one of the wealthiest corporations, they never cringe at salary caps or luxury taxes...the Knicks have the highest player payroll in the NBA right now and it doesn't even faze them.

And just hypthetically, Kobe can opt out this year from the Lakers. If he does opt out and doesn't re-sign, the Lakers would have his $24 million available in 2010. I have a sneaky feeling the Lakers are also leaving room open for LeBron because they only have 6 players signed so far into 2010.

And1Mak
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
LeBron will be a Net, book it, as if Donaghy told ya.
Don't worry about the cap space, they are already working on it, and it's only 2008.
LeBron wants to be the 1st athlete billionaire.
Brooklyn is a great market for LeBron.
LeBron has said he would love to play with Devin Harris, in addition they have some other great young pieces who might be something by 2010.
He also gets to play with Yi, who brings the Chinese market with him.
Add the celebrity of Jay-Z, and you've got the perfect recipe to attract LeBron.