PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Impressed with Bynum's Progress - "It's obvious he's been in the weight Room"

Allanon
08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Looks like Bynum beefed up to 280 pounds of muscle now.

by: Mary Burns
Link to Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/28/bynum.rehab/index.html)

Lakers center Andrew Bynum might not be quite ready to start playing NBA basketball just yet. But the 7-footer looks bigger and stronger than ever, and is able to run with no apparent effects from the knee injury that wiped out his season last January.

At least that's the report from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, who traveled to Atlanta this week along with VP Jim Buss and Director of Scouting Bill Bertka to check in on his rehabilitating 20-year-old star.

"He looks to be in great shape. He looks ready to go," Kupchak said in a phone interview Thursday. "There's no reason to believe he won't be 100 percent for training camp."

Bynum has not played since suffering a bone bruise and partially dislocated kneecap in a game on January 13. He underwent arthroscopic surgery in May, and began workouts in July. Bynum has spent the past eight weeks in Atlanta working out with his own personal trainer.

Though Bynum did not play five-on-five basketball during the two-day visit, Kupchak said he watched the 7-foot, 280-pounder go through a strenuous workout that included running, jumping and various agility drills.

"That's the reason I went there," Kupchak said. "I wanted to see him run unencumbered, go through agility drills, jumping drills, the things players do... You hope they don't limp or favor a leg. He did not. That was number one.

"On top of that, I was impressed by what he did with his body to get in shape and get stronger. It was obvious to me he had been in the weight room."

Bynum's progress is a major issue for the Lakers as they get set to defend their Western Conference crown. The former first-round draft pick was averaging career-highs in points (13.1), rebounds (10.2) and blocks (2.1) last season before going down when he landed awkwardly on Lamar Odom's foot while trying to snare a rebound.

The Lakers originally hoped that Bynum would return for the playoffs, but it proved not to be the case. L.A. went on to reach the Finals, losing to the Celtics in six games. Afterward, Kobe Bryant and other Lakers noted that they could have used Bynum's size and defense in the middle.

While clearly encouraged by his visit, Kupchak noted that Bynum still had a ways to go.

"He hasn't been in a game since January. So obviously training camp will be very important," Kupchak said. "You can go out and do drills, shoot, lift weights, and all that, but none of that will equate to NBA [basketball]. It's important for him to have a productive and hopefully injury-free training camp.

"But it's obvious he has worked."

Bynum is eligible for a contract extension before the start of the season, but Kupchak would not say whether his visit to Atlanta involved any discussions with his young star or his agent along those lines. He did indicate that both sides are willing to wait until the start of training camp next month to open talks.

"We'll go to camp and take it from there," Kupchak said.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2161768323_f7fe493d2c_o.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0203/nba_g_bynum_580.jpg

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
:hat:hat:king:downspin:

Medvedenko
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Looking good for a full recovery. The Lakers front line will be beastly come November.

xtremesteven33
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Hopefully the kid can stay healthy this year.

if so, Lakers own the #1 spot, no contest.

LakeShow
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
If Bynum can stay healthy this season, I see the lakers dominating the competition. Too many weapons for any team to deal with.

Medvedenko
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
The rockets look great on paper as well. It as always comes back to injuries and overall execution. Don't sleep on Houston....alas, this is their mantra year in and year out. Maybe this year they'll put it together.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Remember the days when the Spurs used to be a force to be reckoned with?

:lol jk :toast

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-28-2008, 05:53 PM
As long Bynumitte can crack down the boards, play physical defense on either sides of the floor, and get a block or two here and there the lakers would be complete. he doesn't need to score alot of pts for us to win...if he doesn it's a bonus!

Lakers 09' :lobt2:

Allanon
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Remember the days when the Spurs used to be a force to be reckoned with?
:lol jk :toast

It's hard to fault the Spurs, they were a win NOW team for the first part of this century. They successfully retooled over and over again to stay at the top of the conference while keeping their main guys intact. So far, they've easily been the team of the 2000's.

However, there is a cost to that re-tooling, they sent away young talent to bring in veterans that could win now. Most recently, guys like Beno and Scola were sent away to keep down the salary costs while the Spurs banked on older veterans.

Now the Spurs are faced with no tradeable assets outside their big 3 as no team would trade for any of their other active players.

I don't think I've ever seen such an untradeable team as the current Spurs. I'd hate for the Spurs to go down like this but I can't see any way out of it unless they trade Tony or Manu. And if you're going to trade away TP or Manu, who knows what they'll end up with.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah, it's gonna be a very very tough season.

I think even when fully healthy, this team isn't quite enough to win it all, but who knows.

Kinda scary that our hopes rely on Roger Mason having a huge season because outside of our big 3, our offense is gonna be very suspect.

tlongII
08-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I hope Bynum is ready by opening night. He's going to need to be for the Lakers to have any chance.

BUMP
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
as long as pure talent goes the only team that really matches up to LA is Portland, Houston, and San Antonio

ShoogarBear
08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
So which are worse, Bynum threads or Oden threads?

Allanon
08-28-2008, 07:48 PM
There haven't been many Bynum threads lately as there's been no news really for months....so I'd have to go with Oden threads.

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM

what allanon said.

Tully365
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
It's hard to fault the Spurs, they were a win NOW team for the first part of this century. They successfully retooled over and over again to stay at the top of the conference while keeping their main guys intact. So far, they've easily been the team of the 2000's.

However, there is a cost to that re-tooling, they sent away young talent to bring in veterans that could win now. Most recently, guys like Beno and Scola were sent away to keep down the salary costs while the Spurs banked on older veterans.

Now the Spurs are faced with no tradeable assets outside their big 3 as no team would trade for any of their other active players.

I don't think I've ever seen such an untradeable team as the current Spurs. .

Hate to agree with a Laker fan, but I think you nailed the situation right on the head. Hopefully now, with a few older guys gone, this situation will begin to change. Mason, Hill, Udoka, Mahinmi, the rights to Gist, & (if the NBA changes some rules to deal with the Euro situation) the rights to Splitter could actually be nice assets...

sribb43
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I love when teams say that he has been in the weight room and now weighs xxx lbs. I mean what else is the guy supposed to do after knee surgery? Of course he is gonna be in the weight room and since he is not running and getting the cardio as he would if completely healthy, gaining weight is inevitable

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I love when teams say that he has been in the weight room and now weighs xxx lbs. I mean what else is the guy supposed to do after knee surgery? Of course he is gonna be in the weight room and since he is not running and getting the cardio as he would if completely healthy, gaining weight is inevitable

look at Darius Miles:lol

sribb43
08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
look at Darius Miles:lol

ya..he gained weight but I dont know about muscle:lol

mystargtr34
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
If TD, Manu and TP stay healthy, i like our chances as much as any team.

JamStone
08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
280 is a good weight for Bynum. Any legit 7-footer should easily be able to handle 300 lbs. I remember when Mehmet Okur was a Piston, I saw him at a club and noticed how skinny he was in person. At the time, he was about 250 at 6-11. I know basketball players are skinnier than other athletes. But, I think with NBA players getting bigger and stronger, 300 for a 7-footer who can maintain a certain level of athleticism and quickness should not be a huge issue.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
The rockets look great on paper as well. It as always comes back to injuries and overall execution. Don't sleep on Houston....alas, this is their mantra year in and year out. Maybe this year they'll put it together.

Its definitely all about health for the rox..stay healthy and :lobt2:

It will be fun to watch the rox take on the fake show, celts, pistons, spurs, mavs, suns, jizz...

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
btw, bynum sux the big one. does he not:lmao

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
When did Rocket fans become the lowest IQ'd people on this board?

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
When did Rocket fans become the lowest IQ'd people on this board?

is that all you have^^

wgas what you think about my or any other rox fan's IQ
:sleep

wow, 7.2 ppg career avg:lmao

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
meh, what else is there to say about the secibnd round virgins? you guys talk more shit than any other fans on this board, but haven't even seen the second round.

Allanon
08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
btw, bynum sux the big one. does he not:lmao
You're in serious denial or misinformed if you think Bynum sux. 'nuff said.

wow, 7.2 ppg career avg:lmao
He was a bencher behind Kwame Brown until this past year when he really gained momentum.

In 2007/2008, he averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds with 2 blocks in 28 minutes.

Give him 40 minutes a game and he would be in the 20-25 points/15 rebounds/4 blocks range...well within All-Star numbers.

bostonguy
08-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Nice to see our them feeling good about themselves again. They may have the opportunity to see their daddies for an NBA finals rematch come late June. :toast

IronMexican
08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice to see our them feeling good about themselves again. They may have the opportunity to see their daddies for an NBA finals rematch come late June. :toast

We'll see:ihit:toast

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
You're in serious denial or misinformed if you think Bynum sux. 'nuff said.

He was a bencher behind Kwame Brown until this past year when he really gained momentum.

In 2007/2008, he averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds with 2 blocks in 28 minutes.

Give him 40 minutes a game and he would be in the 20-25 points/15 rebounds/4 blocks range...well within All-Star numbers.

Well, well, well...............I guess bynum will have his coming out party this year if he can stay healthy:toast

tlongII
08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Oden will break Bynum and Yao in two.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-28-2008, 10:49 PM

:lmao:nope

ShoogarBear
08-28-2008, 10:57 PM

I didn't even know they were joined.

tlongII
08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
I didn't even know they were joined.

Well if they were joined he would break them in two.

z0sa
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Break them in four.

mojorizen7
08-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Bynum threads.
:blah

tlongII
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm going to PM Kori!

Anti.Hero
08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
That frontline is going to be ridiculous.

Sissiborgo
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Bynum is a good player but to much mistakes too clumsy haha..

Sissiborgo
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
And he needs to be stronger..

JamStone
08-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Did Greg Oden nickname his legs "Bynum" and "Yao?"

angelbelow
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
im glad, i hope he can stay healthy as well. his work ethic has improved so much that its hard not to admire it.

The Third Man
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Bynum improved greatly last year, so the Lakers will be a real problem if he is healthy and can mesh together with Gasol. The Lakers have the best player in the league, size and a good bench. I think they should be the favorites. Having said that, the Rockets match up well with them and they have just as many weapons. If healthy, it will come down to defense and I think the Rockets edge them out in the category. We will see. I wish this damn presidential election would finish so we could get on to more important things like the NBA.

JamStone
08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Was it last summer or two summers ago where Kobe and others with the Lakers organization lauded how great Kwame Brown looked and that he hit the weights and got up to 275 lbs?

Just remembered how they made similar remarks about Kwame. I do believe it was last summer.

Allanon
08-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Was it last summer or two summers ago where Kobe and others with the Lakers organization lauded how great Kwame Brown looked and that he hit the weights and got up to 275 lbs?

Just remembered how they made similar remarks about Kwame. I do believe it was last summer.

Yup, Kwame looked like he was toughening up and showing progress. But a couple of weeks into the season, they finally figured out Kwame's problem...his hands are too small. As a defender, Kwame is great and physically everybody can see why Jordan chose him in the draft. But everybody overlooked his hands.

Kwame's hands are tiny and stubby...similar to a 6 footers hand; that's why Kwame can never be a great player despite his imposing size. Guys like Shaq, Duncan, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, etc have especially big hands.

Compare Kwame's hand to Bynum's hand and you can see why Bynum can catch practically any lob near him, while Kwame fumbles them out of bounds:

It's pretty sad really, if he had bigger hands, Kwame would have been a very good player.

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2006/04-28/0428kwame_300.jpghttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/paul_forrester/05/08/blueprints/p1.bynum.jpg

tlongII
08-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey tlong, you up for a lil wager for that opening day game. I mean you talk a whole lot of shit... are you willing to put up? How about the team that loses that game, the poster (you, or me) cant post on this site until allstar break. You game? Or are you all hype like that team of yours.

Dude, we need to make a bet on the season series not one game. Obviously you would make that bet considering it's at Staples. If you think the Lakers are so good why don't we make the same bet on their first game in the Rose Garden?

BTW, your boys are going down this year. We are taking over.

Allanon
08-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Bullshit!!! Jordan picked Kwame #1 for two reasons only... he was 7ft and he pushed Tyson Chandler around during workouts... thats it! And stop making excuses for Kwame having small hands. Since when did having small hands equate to not being able to catch a fucking ball. Derek Fisher has small hands. Spud Webb had small hands. What about those girls in the WNBA who got small hands, and they catch just fine. Kwame just cant catch... PERIOD!!! The guy is timid and has bad nerves. His B-ball IQ is less than 0, and he is lazy and suffering from B-ball necrosis.

Yes, Jordan picked Kwame because he was huge, but he didn't look at his hands.

It wasn't until the press conference last year with Phil that it finally came out that Kwame's got small hands. Phil said it himself.

Fisher probably has hands as big as Kwame and Kwame plays in the post. Out on the perimeter, there's much less congestion so there's more reaction time. In the post, the ball comes at you much quicker and at shorter distances than you'd get it on the perimeter. It's also much harder securing rebounds when your hands are small. That's also why when Kwame goes for layups, the ball looks like it's squirting out of his hands.

As for the WNBA girls, they don't zing passes at point blank range like the NBA guys do, their passes are pretty slow actually.

Kwame's defense is pretty good but his hands are way too small for a post player.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 12:31 AM
I'll place a bet with Tlong. but for overall record, if LA has a better record. you can't post till the post season is over, and i will do the same if Portland has a better record. after all that Oden cock gobbling, you got to.

tlongII
08-30-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll place a bet with Tlong. but for overall record, if LA has a better record. you can't post till the post season is over, and i will do the same if Portland has a better record. after all that Oden cock gobbling, you got to.

Deal

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 12:37 AM
*E-hand shake*

so the bet will pretty much be from playoffs till the finals are over.

JamStone
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
You are highly mistaken. Kwame was a dark cloud from day one and the fans let it be known. The most compliments Kwame got was from the one year that he had a decent defensive effort against the Suns three season ago in the playoffs. The pounds he put on was fat from eating cake. I think you might find those comments of praise you are looking for on the Pistons forum. They seem to be quite happy with Kwame.

Here is one quote:
Good news!!!!

He's not great. But he's a solid 25 minutes thick body. Something we've been lacking. 2 years for 8million is fine. I figured he'd end getting the entire MLE from someone.

Good move .... now let's make some more!

Another: Woohoo!!! Kwame.

Another: I actually like this move. Sure, the guy sucks for where he was picked, but 8 million over 2 years for a somewhat serviceable bigman...I'll take it.

Another: So he replaces ratliff or become our starter.

I like the signing tho still pretty young

And another: Not a bad move, and we got him for 5.4 million less than he was paid last year.

He's listed at 6'11", 270, is the heighth legit?

And I agree (so far ) that Bynum and Brown are an upgrade over Hunter and Theo. Ring in the new, ring out the old.

And here is one by Jamstone: Good low risk move. I like his size and ability to match up with a guy like Dwight Howard at least in terms of strength and size. He's shown that he can be a decent defender, whic also could allow Rasheed to play the center position a little less, if he's still on the team. I also think it signals a move, perhaps Maxiell because I know both Joe and Curry really have some serious faith in Amir Johnson. It's possible McDyess might be the one too if his contract might be needed to match up salaries in a bigger deal.

LMAO!!! "Match up with a guy like Dwight Howard!!!" Wow, I guess its true what they say... "even a saltine cracker tastes good to a starving man"... :lol

Here are even more stupid quotes from Pistons fans praising Kwame... http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102117

Uh, I didn't say anything about Laker fans. I was talking about one training camp, and it was probably the 2006-07 training camp, where a lot of people in the Lakers organization, including Kobe, were talking about how they were impressed with how Kwame looked. I didn't mention anything about Laker fans.

Please read more thoroughly next time.

As for comments by Pistons fans, that had nothing to do with my post. He is a good low risk move, because he only got one year with a player option for a second at $4 million. Perhaps your post is just a product of bitterness after the Lakers traded Caron Butler for him and paid him $25 million over 3 years.

And, there is nothing wrong with me saying Kwame Brown matches up fine against Dwight Howard in terms of strength and size. 6-11, 270 versus 6-11, 270. My comment made no suggestions that he would match his skill, athleticism, or quickness. But, when Antonio McDyess (6-9, 240) and Jason Maxiell (6-7, 260) were two of the main guys guarding Dwight Howard last year, of course I'm going to say I like how Kwame Brown matches up against Dwight Howard in terms of strength and size.

Oh... you're an idiot. Read next time before you spend all that time going through archive threads just to make an ass of yourself.

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.allworldauto.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/jameslebron11_450.jpg

Kobe62Mavs61
09-01-2008, 08:00 AM
If TD, Manu and TP stay healthy, i like our chances as much as any team.

LMAO

You guys are done. its over for the spurs but congrats on your run. It was cute

JamStone
09-01-2008, 09:42 AM
You wont find any articles of Kobe or anyone in the Lakers organization "lauding" Kwame Brown during the off season. However, you will find plenty of articles of him taking heat for getting in trouble in the streets, having cake fights at parties, refusing to work with Kareem to improve his pathetic game, and also being injured and out of shape all of th time. The only people lauding Kwame is you pathetic ass Detroit fans. Hes your headache now... so SUCK IT!!!

I didn't say articles. I recall watching Kobe say it in Hawaii on ESPN. I didn't say it was an article.

As for Kwame being Detroit's headache. That's fine. If he sucks, he sucks. Minimal cost. It's not like Detroit invested $25 million and traded away Caron Butler for him. And, not every team is lucky enough to have Chris Mihm as their back-up center. Look on the bright side, maybe the Lakers can re-sign DJ Mbenga now that Miami signed Jamaal Magloire.

Trainwreck2100
09-01-2008, 09:54 AM
ANDREW MOTHERFUCING BYNUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a

turiaf for president
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM

he would be fucking dillusional to take that bet. but true to form he did.

Tlong its one thing to be a fan of your team. hell im a dodger fan and they haven't wont shit since 88. but u SERIOUSLY thing the Blazers are basically going to win the west (since lakers are the favorites to win the west according to most polls)???

tlongII
09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
he would be fucking dillusional to take that bet. but true to form he did.

Tlong its one thing to be a fan of your team. hell im a dodger fan and they haven't wont shit since 88. but u SERIOUSLY thing the Blazers are basically going to win the west (since lakers are the favorites to win the west according to most polls)???

The Blazers have more talent than the Lakers so I'm absolutely serious. You're going to be shocked (and maybe a little afraid) when you see just how dominant Oden is.

sook
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
The Blazers have more talent than the Lakers so I'm absolutely serious. You're going to be shocked (and maybe a little afraid) when you see just how dominant Oden is.

I'm leaving my head wide open...but the person i think will show really how scary he is is Roy, future best SG of the NBA

turiaf for president
09-04-2008, 12:47 AM

im guessing hes your neighbor and you watch him work out daily?

shocked and afraid of a rookie center coming off and injury that kept him out all season? what does he have to show me that he is going to be dominant from day one? he hasnt played a SINGLE game yet. He averaged 15 points and 9 boards against college competition. so magically hes going to do better than that against yao, bynum, shaq, amare, duncan, garnett, howard, etc?

again its good to be a fan but for you to say the blazers who DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS last year is going to finish ahead of the defending western conference champs who BTW is only getting better with the return of Bynum and another year's experience for farmar, sasha, and ariza is dillusional.

guess ure smarter than vegas considering they are 35/1 odds of winning the title next year. the same as the wizards. the bulls nuggets raptors and sixers amongst 16 other teams have a better chance of winning. if my math serves me correctly, vegas has your "shocking team that we should be afraid of" out of the playoffs yet again

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/

E20
09-04-2008, 01:10 AM
There was a similar article about Greg Oden, he's like 350 lbs now of muscle lol

polandprzem
09-04-2008, 02:38 AM
How much did he gained in 3 months?

hehe

nil.ball
09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Let me translate this article for you:

"Bynum has been working out with McDonalds health club. His main dietary includes French Fries with Large French Fries on the side and a french fries smoothie. We are extremely happy that he is now bloated to 280lbs just being a slacker he is during this off season. We want to share this information with fans, so they will be excited for our season and buy our tickets, which can be fantastic for our Christmas bonuses. "

monosylab1k
09-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm leaving my head wide open...but the person i think will show really how scary he is is Roy, future best SG of the NBA

Meh I think Roy has topped out. I don't see him getting any better. Still a great player, but IMO his talent will only let him be a #2 guy, so Portland better hope Oden pans out (which he will).

Honestly I see Rudy Fernandez surpassing Roy in a year or two.

TheMadHatter
09-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't get the hype with Oden. I watched him in college and he didn't exactly dominate lesser competition. He is extremely injury prone already as well.

Defensively I think he has the tools to be a good defender in this league, but I just don't see his offense catching up to the point where we can call him a true 2-way center. Anyways, he's still years away from us being able to say anything definitive about his NBA career.

monosylab1k
09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I watched him in college and he didn't exactly dominate lesser competition.

Apparently you didn't watch the National Championship game.

Allanon
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Some more reports on Bynum

Bynum was seen working out in El Segundo running the track. Observers said he looked "ripped" and toned. In addition, no knee braces or signs of him favoring his knee. He was doing all out sprints and looks even faster than before.

Sounds like all reports are coming in with one thing in common, a 100% healthy Bynum.

Bynum will be the most dominant big man on both ends of the floor since Shaq & Duncan's earlier years.

Let the Domination begin.

tlongII
09-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Some more reports on Bynum

Bynum was seen working out in El Segundo running the track. Observers said he looked "ripped" and toned. In addition, no knee braces or signs of him favoring his knee. He was doing all out sprints and looks even faster than before.

Sounds like all reports are coming in with one thing in common, a 100% healthy Bynum.

Bynum will be the most dominant big man on both ends of the floor since Shaq & Duncan's earlier years.

Let the Domination begin.

Hardly. He won't even be the most dominating big man in his first game this season.

IronMexican
09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
:lmao

Allanon
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hardly. He won't even be the most dominating big man in his first game this season.

3 year veteran Bynum vs a rook in his first NBA game? I just hope Oden isn't permanently damaged psychologically from the beating he will get. :D

Seriously though, this is the worst possible matchup the Blazers could have had on opening night. It could lead to bad side effects for a young team and could make or break a season. If Bynum dominates the hell out of Oden in the first game, everybody's going to say Oden's a bust and he might actually believe it. It's not fair really.

I Love Me Some Me
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Bynum was listed at 275 last season...is 5 more lbs really "beefed up"?

tlongII
09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
3 year veteran Bynum vs a rook in his first NBA game? I just hope Oden isn't permanently damaged psychologically from the beating he will get. :D

Seriously though, this is the worst possible matchup the Blazers could have had on opening night. It could lead to bad side effects for a young team and could make or break a season. If Bynum dominates the hell out of Oden in the first game, everybody's going to say Oden's a bust and he might actually believe it. It's not fair really.

It's a great matchup for the Blazers actually. They get to measure themselves against one of the NBA's best right off the bat. Nobody outside of Portland is expecting them to win in LA. If the Lakers lose will they be able to recover?

LakeShow
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Bynum healthy is a big difference for the Lakers this season and if it stays that way I have no doubts that the Lakers will be a beast next season but what if the unthinkable happens and Bynum suffers a setback? I really don't think the Lakers did enough to get someone who will not be pushed around against the celtics. I think we had to go after someone tough in the middle (scream at me if you like but Kwame would have been the perfect fit) Gasol showed that he's a softie and will not battle with the big boys of the league. Odom is a warrior but he's too light to deal with the Celtics at the PF position, which would be exactly where he would need to play without bynum. I don't have much faith in Mihm being that player that the lakers could call on to produce. That said, the Lakers are dependant on Bynum being healthy to win it all. A move for a physical PF/C would have took away the dependability of bynum. As it stands, all our hopes for a title depends on Bynum's health. I would have liked to know that this team could win the title, with or without Bynum, like they came so close to doing last season. The lakers could win the West even without Bynum with the Rockets and Hornets being the main and only teams capable to take out the lakers without Bynum. If we have to face the Celtics, they'll beat us again. imo

Still an outlook for a great season but the lakers only go as far as Bynum's health allows him to go. That is a scenario I would have liked not to be an issue next season like it was the previous season.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Bynum was listed at 275 last season...is 5 more lbs really "beefed up"?

He had a high body fat ratio, he traded the baby fat for muscle. He didn't have much muscle definition before, he just looked more like a tall kid. So even though it only sounds like 5 pounds, there's alot more to it than that.

He was also too weak last year and couldn't bang with guys like Kendrick Perkins but he should be able to push them right back this year. Should also help his post up game quite a bit.

He's looking more like a man-child ala Dwight Howard now. He's now mostly muscle with very little fat. Still not ripped like DHo but he's getting there.

monosylab1k
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM

It's 1 out of 82. the first out of 82 at that. You're putting way too much stock into that game.

You seriously think the opening night game might make or break their season? :lmao

TheMadHatter
09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
It's a great matchup for the Blazers actually. They get to measure themselves against one of the NBA's best right off the bat. Nobody outside of Portland is expecting them to win in LA. If the Lakers lose will they be able to recover?

If this game was at the Rose Garden I'd be worried. If we had the Showtime Lakers in their prime we probably still wouldn't win in that fucking place..........:downspin:

Allanon
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
It's 1 out of 82. the first out of 82 at that. You're putting way too much stock into that game.

You seriously think the opening night game might make or break their season? :lmao

For young players, psyche is everything. They might come into the season believing they're good enough to take on anybody.

An ass-kicking would make the young Blazers question their ability, veteran players would know it's just 1 of 82.

tlongII
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
For young players, psyche is everything. They might come into the season believing they're good enough to take on anybody.

An ass-kicking would make the young Blazers question their ability, veteran players would know it's just 1 of 82.

I guess it's a good thing the Lakers have some veteran players then. :lol

mavs>spurs2
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Lakers are the new Mavs, regular season champs. Enjoy it while it lasts..:toast

Tag
09-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Let me translate this article for you:

"Bynum has been working out with McDonalds health club. His main dietary includes French Fries with Large French Fries on the side and a french fries smoothie. We are extremely happy that he is now bloated to 280lbs just being a slacker he is during this off season. We want to share this information with fans, so they will be excited for our season and buy our tickets, which can be fantastic for our Christmas bonuses. "

It's ok, we'll still be pounding your rockets throughout the season. Certainly didnt take Bynum before to pass the Rockets habitual first round exit :toast

21_Blessings
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Lakers are the new Mavs, regular season champs. Enjoy it while it lasts..:toast

Wishful thinking. Except the Lakers actually upside and the ability to get better. Not to mention a better coach, owner and superstar.

Mavs were a fluke team, nothing more. SA shit the bed and they lucked out in seeing an Amare-less Suns team. Then they get destroyed by a pretty awful Miami team. At least the Lakers got beat by 67 win team that had one of the best defenses ever. Oh and that was without their center.

Have fun watching the Lakers dominate the league over the next 5+ years. I know I will.

The Franchise
09-15-2008, 11:36 AM
It's ok, we'll still be pounding your rockets throughout the season. Certainly didnt take Bynum before to pass the Rockets habitual first round exit :toast

2-1.:toast

ambchang
09-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Bullshit!!! Jordan picked Kwame #1 for two reasons only... he was 7ft and he pushed Tyson Chandler around during workouts... thats it! And stop making excuses for Kwame having small hands. Since when did having small hands equate to not being able to catch a fucking ball. Derek Fisher has small hands. Spud Webb had small hands. What about those girls in the WNBA who got small hands, and they catch just fine. Kwame just cant catch... PERIOD!!! The guy is timid and has bad nerves. His B-ball IQ is less than 0, and he is lazy and suffering from B-ball necrosis.

BTW, Hakeem Olajuwon had small hands, his has about the same hand size as me, and I am foot shorter, and I have relatively small hands for a guy my size.

ambchang
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Everybody else wins no matter who loses in this bet.