PDA

View Full Version : Duncan out for Wednesday's game

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 10:04 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Tim Duncan missed his first game of the season Tuesday night, sitting out the San Antonio Spurs' matchup with the Charlotte Bobcats due to a sprained right ankle.

Duncan, who was injured at the end of Monday's practice, also has a hyperextended left knee. Coach Gregg Popovich said the All-Star also would miss Wednesday night's game at Washington.

"We'll let him rest and see what he feels like after the back-to-back," Popovich said.

Duncan said treatment on the ankle Tuesday went well, but he was not sure when he would be able to play again.

"It actually feels pretty good, it felt a lot worse yesterday," he said. "We've been treating it two to three times a day, and it's not as serious as I thought it was initially, so that's good."

Tony Massenburg replaced Duncan in the starting lineup. Duncan, averaging 21.3 points and 11.8 rebounds, joked that the Spurs were looking forward to playing without him.

"I don't think I will be missed at all," he said.

There's still a chance the Spurs could have Karl Malone to fill in for Duncan before their road trip ends Feb. 23. Malone has said if he plays at all this season, it would be for San Antonio. He's expected to make a decision before the All-Star break later this month.

Asked what he thought about Malone joining the team, Duncan deferred comment.

"It's just talk right now," he said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3384706

SPARKY
02-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Good idea. He should sit out the week.

timvp
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Might as well rest TD up and bring Sato off the IR to give him some burn.

Ginofan
02-08-2005, 10:10 PM
He can sit till the Miami game...I'd like to see him then.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Yeah, I agree.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
why was pop stupid enough to let him practice monday?

Manu20
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM

I agree, that is the perfect plan.

SequSpur
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh great, now we've become a lottery team.

ducks
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
I want him to sit out against shaq

shaq could easily hurt him
I would rather take the loss then shaq hurt duncan

T Park
02-08-2005, 11:09 PM
BS.

You go to Miami and you play 100%

Miami is a statement game. You play those guys in the finals you want them knowing that you owned there ass in the Reg.

Put doubt in there heads.

BTW, its good playoff practice, afternoon game, ABC, 1 announcing crew.

Good for the whole team IMO.

Guru of Nothing
02-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Fantasy Basketball Gods like me.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2005, 01:30 PM
With Duncan out, the Spurs may have a little trouble with the Wizards. But I think the reserves are ready to step up. It's the Rodeo Road Trip -- time for winning.

Spurminator
02-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm hoping to see some small lineups out there for this game... Malik/Horry at center, surrounded by Parker, Barry, Manu and Brown. The Wizards are a horrible defensive team, and if we have a fast lineup on the floor, we should be able to get a lot of easy fast break baskets.

boutons
02-09-2005, 01:56 PM
"With Duncan out, the Spurs may have a little trouble with the Wizards"

Duncan only got 11-11 in 27 minutes in the blowout WAS@SBC. I think the role players can make that up easily.

I also would like to see a lot of push-it-real hard small ball tonight, going like Epson salts through WAS's league-worst PPG allowed un-defense. It would be serious mistake to get into a half-court jump-shooting contest.

Duncan21
02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
i hope duncan plays against heat cause he always plays good against shaq

FromWayDowntown
02-09-2005, 02:47 PM
"With Duncan out, the Spurs may have a little trouble with the Wizards"

Duncan only got 11-11 in 27 minutes in the blowout WAS@SBC. I think the role players can make that up easily.

It's not that simple -- the Spurs got a season-best performance from Devin Brown and one of Brent Barry's best games all year in that outing. I'd be surprised if they get the same efforts from those guys. I'd also be surprised if the Wizards are as flat as they were on MLK day.

Yeah, Duncan only had 11 and 11 in that game. But he also had 4 blocks. More than that, Duncan's influence in any game exceeds the numbers he posts. His points and rebounds are obviously important, but they don't tell the tale of what Tim does to help his team win. The numbers don't say anything about the drives that Tim's presence deters and the shots that his presence changes. They don't say anything about the spacing or open looks that Tim's presence creates on the offensive end. They don't say anything about the extra confidence that Tim's presence instills in his teammates.

You could get 11 and 11 from another player, but it doesn't mean that you've gotten the same performance.

I think tonight's game will be a tough one for the Spurs, and I think they'll miss Tim's presence. They need superb defensive efforts from their guards and good shot-contesting and rebounding from Rasho, Horry, Malik, and Mass. Even with all of that, beating a good Washington team without Tim would be a pretty solid accomplishment.

T Park
02-09-2005, 02:49 PM
How many times did Brent Barry in that game, get easy shots beause of the Wizards double teaming him down in the post?

Id like to see a better effort out of Brent Barry tonight than last night.

Another dissapointing game from him.

Thank goodness for Devin Brown.

boutons
02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
"good Washington team"

I don't think they're that good, compared to what we see in WC. They're 2nd in EC, but at 6 games back, it's not like a tight WC race. (And 8th in the League.) In a post this week, I said they are something like 4 - 13 against "quality" EC/WC teams.

But they're "good enough" for the Spurs NOT to play down to them, which is the biggest risk, esp after the Spurs destroyed them @SBC. I think the absence of TD will be such a Spurs' motivator, as it was for Rasho last night, that his absence won't be felt in this game or the Nets game. MIA is a totally different story.

Tim's intangibles, ok. But he doesn't contribute any intangibles when he's sitting on the bench for nearly half the last WAS game.

tlongII
02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I'll bet that he'll still lead the team in rebounding!

Frenchise player
02-09-2005, 03:11 PM
We need Tim for Nets game, this team is performing well, and Carter-Kidd backourt is maybee the best in the league.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2005, 03:17 PM
why was pop stupid enough to let him practice monday?
The real question is why was Pop stupid enough to play Duncan against the Kobe-less Lakers. Had he sat out that game, he could have had an entire week off while only missing one (imo) very winnable game without him.

Anyhow, we'll need guys to step up again tonight because the Wizards won't be easily beaten in their own house. Jamison and his quick release in particular has always given us problems with or without Tim. Our forwards will definitely need to keep him in check tonight.

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Oh great, now we've become a lottery team.

What is these we've become a lottery team ANTI-SPURS FAN

T Park
02-09-2005, 03:23 PM
The real question is why was Pop stupid enough to play Duncan against the Kobe-less Lakers.

Uh, he wasn't that badly injured until hypreextending the knee that night.

I think if hes healthy enough to go, you play him, even if it is against the Kobe-less lakers or whatever.

Quiveling over such petty should he have played against LA is silly IMO.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Uh, he wasn't that badly injured until hypreextending the knee that night.

I think if hes healthy enough to go, you play him, even if it is against the Kobe-less lakers or whatever.

Quiveling over such petty should he have played against LA is silly IMO.
Quiveling?

The fact is, TD still had a nagging hip injury and needed the rest. He could have had 7 days off by missing a very low risk game.

Dumb move imo.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Duncan needs to suit up when his team needs him. Put barbed wire around that knee and lace 'em up just like those old time Dallas Cowboys did. [/Jim Dent]

boutons
02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
"Quiveling?"

no such word.

TwoHandJam
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
"Quiveling?"

no such word.
It's a TParkism, when you don't know the word, just guess :lol (Don't take it personally TPark). I think he was looking for the word "quibbling".

TwoHandJam
02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Even w/ TD, Washington has revenge on their minds!!

TD or no TD , I expect the Wizards to bombard your beloved Spurs from the opening tip!!And I expect that the air coming out of your mouth is hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon ride.

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Even w/ TD, Washington has revenge on their minds!!

TD or no TD , I expect the Wizards to bombard your beloved Spurs from the opening tip!!

You mean the way Mem. did to min last night?

Whats yopur beloved wolves record, again?

td4mvp21
02-09-2005, 06:51 PM
well lets hope he plays well (as in not like he has before the last few games)