PDA

View Full Version : I love MMA, but...

tlongII
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
they have a ways to go before they match boxing in generating revenue. I just read that the De LaHoya vs Pacquiao fight is expected to gross more than $100 M! MMA is nowhere close to that at this time.

Evan
08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
On average MMA events kill boxing on PPV but boxing still has the few mega payouts every year. The fact that this new sport can even be in such a debate is outstanding.

MMA needs to get regulated in NY which is going to take time. There is a lot of ignorance out there on the sport and the old owners of the UFC (and other mma orgs) are partly to blame for how they advertised themselves as a blood sport.

This thing is so new and its tripping over itself by growing so fast. There is a few messes out there that need to be cleaned up.

BWS-1994
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
How about MMA revenues from outside the US? MMA will be easier to sell in Japan, and probably also in China and Korea.

Here in the Philippines, MMA is growing. But Pacquiao's shadow still looms over any MMA fighter.

Evan
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
How about MMA revenues from outside the US? MMA will be easier to sell in Japan.

Failing miserably in Japan and will likely be extinct in a year.

and probably also in China .

Nobody cares there

and Korea..

Not doing very well.

Here in the Philippines.

UFC will be there next year.

Sissiborgo
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Crazy nice sport..I would like to learn that while i am also Wheight lifting..

BWS-1994
08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Failing miserably in Japan and will likely be extinct in a year.

And I was hoping the new Japanese franchise would be able to replace PRIDE... tsk...

UFC will be there next year.

Looking forward to it! And lots of local fans are probably saving up for this.

Evan
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
And I was hoping the new Japanese franchise would be able to replace PRIDE... tsk... .

Its really weird how fast MMA in Japan fell.

Looking forward to it! And lots of local fans are probably saving up for this.

I can't wait to see it.

dbreiden83080
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
MMA is the combat sport of the future. As it continues to grow the young athletes, will routinely choose MMA over boxing. There are very few stars left in boxing, it is truly a dying sport. It's prospects look bleak for the future. The Heavy division alone has been dead since Lewis retired and some would argue was all but dead when he was still fighting.