PDA

View Full Version : Who Is the Best Shooter In the League?

MrChug
08-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Who do you think knocks down most of the shots he takes with a minimum of (...ohhh...sayy...) ALOT?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-29-2008, 03:34 AM
well, Kopono has the highest 3PT%

Bruno
08-29-2008, 03:49 AM
It's Kapono.

N4th4n
08-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Kobe does not belong in this list.

sendman
08-29-2008, 05:09 AM
well, Kopono has the highest 3PT%
Well, the question was: "Who is the Best Shooter In the League?"
I think he talks about a shooter in game situations. That includes all shooting (without layups, one handed shots around the rim and dunks).
3PT shooting is just part of it. Kapono can't get his shot off, to save his life.
So, Shooter that doesn't shoot...no thanks. What do you think?

I say Ray Allen

nsrammstein
08-29-2008, 05:12 AM
your poll fails

dirk is not on the list, so I encourage all maverick fans on this board to vote for other!

sendman
08-29-2008, 05:14 AM
your poll fails

dirk is not on the list, so I encourage all maverick fans on this board to vote for other!

I agree, Dirk should be on this list.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-29-2008, 05:26 AM
JR Smith, he will be by the end of 08-09...

He can hit shots from anywhere on the court, just ask the Bulls :lol

stretch
08-29-2008, 08:06 AM
best spot up shooter is Kapono (IMO he is the best spot up shooter ive ever seen)

but when it comes to complete shooting abilities, Steve Nash is the best shooter ive ever seen, because he can shoot a jumpshot in virtually any way possible. spot up, on the move, runners, fade-away, pull-up, hand in face... he can do it all. absolutely amazing. my vote goes to him.

monosylab1k
08-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Lame list. No Dirk, no Redd, no Mike Miller = fail.

stretch
08-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Lame list. No Dirk, no Redd, no Mike Miller = fail.

Steve Nash is hands down a better shooter than all of those guys. In practices, Dirk could NEVER beat Nash in any kind of shooting games.

endrity
08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree, I think Nash is best shooter from every position.

Long range I think Ray Allen and Kapono are the best.

Middle range i think it's between Dirk and Rip.

Supergirl
08-29-2008, 08:49 AM
I chose Kobe because he is the best shooter in terms of range of shots. Allen, Redd, and Kapono are all good shooters but have a limited number of places they can shoot from, and all tend to crumble under defense. But if you don't defend them, they bomb it, which is why they have such high shooting percentages.

What makes Kobe so much more dangerous is that he can shoot from anywhere and can change directions midshot. The reason his percentage is not higher is because he has not learned yet when to pass instead of shoot.

stretch
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
I chose Kobe because he is the best shooter in terms of range of shots. Allen, Redd, and Kapono are all good shooters but have a limited number of places they can shoot from, and all tend to crumble under defense. But if you don't defend them, they bomb it, which is why they have such high shooting percentages.

What makes Kobe so much more dangerous is that he can shoot from anywhere and can change directions midshot. The reason his percentage is not higher is because he has not learned yet when to pass instead of shoot.

hes not nearly as consistent and pure as guys like Nash and Dirk. hes more of a volume and rhythm shooter, where as Nash and Dirk just can walk in at any time and hit 5 threes. kobe needs to shoot and hit a few before he gets going.

Tippecanoe
08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
what about JJ Reddick? since we're only talking about shooting.

JamStone
08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Nash is the best shooter in the league. Perfect form in squaring up, and hits midrange jumpers as well as long range jumpers, which separates him from guys like Redd and Miller. Kapono would be a distant second. But, I agree that it's ridiculous to put up a poll without including at least Dirk and Redd, probably Mike Miller too. With the proper pressure or defense, Peja is just as likely to shoot an airball as he is to catch all net.

dirk4mvp
08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Personal favorite...Kyle Korver

monosylab1k
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

I agree with this. Guys like Nash can't hit shots at certain places & positions the way Kobe can. He can get off a shot from tricky spots that other guys can't. And he's by far the best off-balance shooter. Then again, one would argue that you shouldn't be taking off balance shots in the first place, but when you're Kobe you do what you want.

tlongII
08-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Ray Allen without a doubt.

JamStone
08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
It's not about Kobe learning when to pass the ball instead of shoot. He knows when he should pass the ball. He knows when he's shooting a bad shot. He does it anyway.

It's not about learning anything. It's about him accepting he doesn't need to be the hero or get the glory every single time, that he doesn't need to take the pressure shot all the time no matter how many guys are defending him. It's about trust in his teammates and putting his ego to the side. He did that much better this past season. And, he's shown when he has teammates he can trust, he's more willing to do it. But, it's a fatal flaw in his personality, not a learned skill. His ego won't let him not want to be the hero. Even on Team USA, when it seemed he was being selfless by concentrating on defense, he still took the most shots on the team and made sure everyone knew he was focusing on defense to be the "stopper" by giving himself another nickname, the Dober-mamba. And, then when there was finally a close game, he went into hero mode again.

It's not about learning when to pass versus shoot. He knows it already. He just needs to do it instead of trying to fulfill his self-perceived prophesy of the savior of basketball every game.

stretch
08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
And he's by far the best off-balance shooter

LOL NO WAY

damn good, but not as good as Dirk or Nash being off balance.

IronMexican
08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrg3v6W_IM&feature=related

Kobe's 3 against the Mavs. I don't feel like looking pu for the one against the Rockets, with about 10 seconds left as they tried to chase him down and foul him, or the one against Portlant turnaround. To answer the op, Kapono.

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Kobe is the best scorer, not necesarrily shooter. As far as spotting up goes, it's Allen, as far as getting his own shot off and hitting from anywhere with amazing consistancy especially in the clutch, it's Nash. Hands down

Mister Sinister
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Shaq.

IronMexican
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Shaq.

that joke is so played out it isn't even funny anymore.

Ben Wallace.

stretch
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
that joke is so played out it isn't even funny anymore.

Ben Wallace.

fail.

angelbelow
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
kapono is a safe pick.

Red Hawk #21
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
This list blows, you left of so many good shooters. Next time put guys like Mike Miller, Joe Johnson, Kyle Korver, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Redd on the list.

Slo spurs fan
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Aleksandar (Sasha) Vujacic

angel_luv
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Aleksandar (Sasha) Vujacic

Hi Slo!

:)

Slo spurs fan
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi V.

:makeout

angel_luv
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi V.

:makeout

How is the family? Hope all is well.

:)

Slo spurs fan
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for asking. Yes all is well. Didnīt you said that you will visit us (Slovenians) this year?

nsrammstein
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Everybody knows that Dirk Nowitzki is the best shooter in the leauge, whoever doubts this is just fooling themselves because either they're a blind spurs fan, which we know there are many on this board, or they're a delusional Suns fan voting for Nash

Gino
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Nash.

angel_luv
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for asking. Yes all is well. Didnīt you said that you will visit us (Slovenians) this year?

I want to so much and would have already, had finances allowed.

For my birthday, my boyfriend bought me a tour book featuring Slovenia because he knows I ( now hopefully, we :) ) will definitely take a trip there.

xtremesteven33
08-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Steve Nash.

incredible shot selecter. i can believe for a guy his height thats not african american that he can get his shot off with such a high percentage AND be the main facilitator for his team.

can drive in, shoot jumper, shoot fade-aways, shoot 3's. only thing he cant do is dunk

manufor3
kapono!

Slo spurs fan
I want to so much and would have already, had finances allowed.

For my birthday, my boyfriend bought me a tour book featuring Slovenia because he knows I ( now hopefully, we :) ) will definitely take a trip there.

It would be really nice pleasure to meet you in person.:tu

angel_luv
08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
It would be really nice pleasure to meet you in person.:tu

I look forward to meeting you. :)

rj215
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Best shooter in the league? Easy...it's Stephen Jackson. He got some really nasty shots off outside of a nightclub a year ago.

baseline bum
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2016(34).png

The Franchise
08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Steve Nash is hands down a better shooter than all of those guys. In practices, Dirk could NEVER beat Nash in any kind of shooting games.

He may be better than Dirk, but he is damn sure not better than Mike Miller or Micheal Redd.

nsrammstein
08-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Dirk is better than Mike Miller hands down, It's debateable that he's also better than Michael Redd

Steve Nash might beat dirk at shooting while practicing but Dirk always rapes the suns in real games

MrChug
08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Kobe does not belong in this list.

Now that's just foolish. Kobe can hit a myriad of jumpshots noone else wouldn't. Let's keep the Jordan comparison out of this, but .0000000000003 percent of the league can hit the shots he hits inside or outside the line with defensive pressure or with the shotclock winding down, Like Mike. Jordan could hit jumper after jumper after jumper. Kobe has patterned his game in the same way.

Did I say PURE shooter? Stupid. I said SHOOTER. Who can hit the most SHOTS.

MrChug
08-29-2008, 08:42 PM

Smartest post yet.

MrChug
08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Steve Nash voters make more sense then you "Kumpono", "Dirkless", or "Mike Milker" voters. These guys so much as get the smell of a hand in their face and they are passing it off. Kobe, Nash, even Mike Redd or Ginobili make their own shots and MAKE them they do. I know a thousand YMCA fatasses that can sit there and pop threes or midrange jumpers till the nets start ablaze. Making a shot when it's HARD counts. If not, why not put Brent Barry on the list?

I'll give it to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, even Rip. But still not the BEST.

And yes...Dirk still sucks.

nsrammstein
08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Steve Nash voters make more sense then you "Kumpono", "Dirkless", or "Mike Milker" voters. These guys so much as get the smell of a hand in their face and they are passing it off. Kobe, Nash, even Mike Redd or Ginobili make their own shots and MAKE them they do. I know a thousand YMCA fatasses that can sit there and pop threes or midrange jumpers till the nets start ablaze. Making a shot when it's HARD counts. If not, why not put Brent Barry on the list?

I'll give it to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, even Rip. But still not the BEST.

And yes...Dirk still sucks.

You fail

If you are going to say that Dirk is not a good shooter and that he sucks then you should go back to wherever you came from and sit on a putrified banana.

Dirk is the master of the off balance shot, how fucking dare you say that he only makes wide open shots! Just put a decent defender on Nash and he will fold, in fact Nash gets a lot more wide open shots than Dirk because he benefits from the pick and roll with amare.

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
KB24, when he's hot he can shoot it lights out!!

N4th4n
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Now that's just foolish. Kobe can hit a myriad of jumpshots noone else wouldn't. Let's keep the Jordan comparison out of this, but .0000000000003 percent of the league can hit the shots he hits inside or outside the line with defensive pressure or with the shotclock winding down, Like Mike. Jordan could hit jumper after jumper after jumper. Kobe has patterned his game in the same way.

Did I say PURE shooter? Stupid. I said SHOOTER. Who can hit the most SHOTS.

Then you are not making any distinction from scorer. A layup is a shot. You should better word your question. Kobe is the best scorer in the game however he is not the best shooter. His talents come from how dynamic his O is.

mavs>spurs2
08-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Then you are not making any distinction from scorer. A layup is a shot. You should better word your question. Kobe is the best scorer in the game however he is not the best shooter. His talents come from how dynamic his O is.

hey...this guy gets it :tu

AnotherArgie
08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
James Gist

N4th4n
08-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is how I see it

Kobe: Has the best success at scoring using high difficulty shots
Kappono/Ray: The two best spot up shooters in the game
Nash: Shoots a high percentage on a mix of shots - better spot up then Kobe however worse at gaining sepperation and finishing a hard shot over a defender.

MrChug
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Honestly? I think it's fair to say that it's UNFAIR to put Kobe on this list if TP's not going to be there...his shots (considering the amount of them in the paint) are as difficult and "wow"-ing as any in the league. If you don't believe me...try 'em.

Dex
09-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Sandy vagina for the win.

Obstructed_View
09-03-2008, 06:27 AM
I hate Kobe, but he's a vastly underrated shooter. Funny how he gets penalized because he can do so much more than spot up when compared to guys who can't handle the ball or create their own shot. Camp his ass on the three point line for 30 minutes with the same defense that Allen or Kapono get and I'd be shocked if he didn't shoot as well or better. The biggest problems with Kobe are his shot selection and total lack of leadership, but I'd take him in a game of horse or in the 3 point shootout against just about anyone.

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
It's definitely Jax. We went to an IPSC match last month. He shot a perfect score in the service pistol class with his Glock 20.

P.S. Cheryl may be able to outshoot me with a ball, but she ain't shit with a Sig-Sauer.

nsrammstein
09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
lol @ all these write in votes for Nash and Kobe but the ''Other'' option is still winning...Good job Mavs trolls!!

urunobili
09-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Dirk>Nash

nsrammstein
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Nash might be better than Dirk in practice.....but in game Dirk wins hands down..

Rapin' Kobe
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm the best in world, don't be a dumbass
If you think otherwise I'll rape you in your ass
I became the greatest shooter with lots of practice
I'll make your pussy bleed even if you ain't attractive

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm the best in world, don't be a dumbass
If you think otherwise I'll rape you in your ass
I became the greatest shooter with lots of practice
I'll make your pussy bleed even if you ain't attractive

Rapin' Kobe,

You have replaced Bobcats Dynasty as my favorite Spurs Talk poster. Congratulations.

:toast

Bonior
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Here are some numbers from 82games.com. Effective FG percentage in 07-08:

Steve Nash: 57.6
Ray Allen: 53.7
Peja Stojakovic: 52.6
Kobe Bryant: 52.5
Mike Miller: 52.1
Dirk Novitzki: 51.4
Jason Kapono: 49.8
Michael Redd: 48.8

This confirms what I suspected: Nash tops the list (by far), and that is why I voted for him.

lefty
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Toss up between Kapono and Korver

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Here are some numbers from 82games.com. Effective FG percentage in 07-08:

Steve Nash: 57.6
Ray Allen: 53.7
Peja Stojakovic: 52.6
Kobe Bryant: 52.5
Mike Miller: 52.1
Dirk Novitzki: 51.4
Jason Kapono: 49.8
Michael Redd: 48.8

This confirms what I suspected: Nash tops the list (by far), and that is why I voted for him.

Thanks for the facts. I think most people would agree that it is fairly easy to contain Stojakovic, however. He tends to pass up shots and/or get rattled if you put a body on him.

I still think Kapono is the best "pure" jumpshooter at the moment. Nash is a better overall scorer, which is reflected in the stats.

sook
09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Ray Allen is the greatest shooter of our era, anyone that thinks other wise is a complete dumbass.

The guy's prime was like how he brought the east back this recent all star game, no hesitation...just pull up and drain.

Greatest shooter ever

bird vs pistol pete

pauls931
09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Shaq.

Were talking about shooting a basketball not shooting yourself up.

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Were talking about shooting a basketball not shooting yourself up.

What about all of his shooting practice as a Junior G-Man?