PDA

View Full Version : Anybody set up an lcd projector before?

v2freak
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't really want to deal with the hassle, space and costs of moving around a big TV. My friend said that he used an lcd projector, which gave me a pretty good idea. Anybody ever set something like that up? I want to be able to project something like my computer screen onto a wall. This thing from eBay looks interesting too (http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Home-Theatre-Big-Screen-TV-Projector-HDTV-1080P_W0QQitemZ230285446323QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3320 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Heath Ledger
08-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a kickass LCD projector and i will never go back to a standard regullar tv other than in my bedroom.

Do it you won't regret it, im rocking on 108" of high def heaven.

v2freak
08-29-2008, 07:51 PM
So you think the eBay link is legitimate? Will it work for laptops or external computer monitors?

Heath Ledger
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I wouldnt get too excited about that kit, they've been around for years and i think i remember reading some pretty bad reviews about them in the past. What is your budget i will tell try to steer you in the right direction.

If you can save up try to get something that has at least 720p Native resolution and if possible 1080p don't go for some 800x600 projectors, for a few hundred bux more you can upgrade to hi def. Mine is 720p native and really kicks ass. I paid $1800 3 years ago but you can get the same one new probably for $1000 or less these days. I have a Sanyo Vlp Z4 Lcd.

Slydragon
08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I miss my DLP projector, I had to sell it because I had no room for it and it was just collecting dust.

The ebay link is shit. What they sell you is a magnifying lens that you mount to a cardboard and the room has to be really dark and the tv you use will be upside down because the magnifying glass flips the image.

Shitty quality.

Here is kinda what you end up with but allot of the ebay ones tell you to do it with cardboard spray painted black.

****note the picture will not look good as the site makes it out to be***

http://www.pacepic.com/projector/

Just about the same info you would get buying on ebay is here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2316106_turn-tv-projector.html

v2freak
08-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'm glad I didn't splurge on that product. I wouldn't be able to buy a really expensive projector unless I sold something else I own - which I'd be willing to do as long as the projector is decently priced and projects a 50'' picture (doesn't have to be higher than that; that might be a bit excessive)

Heath Ledger
08-30-2008, 09:20 AM
if you only want a 50" display you do not want a projector, you might as well get an lcd tv. But im telling you a picture over 100" (mine is 108") is not overkill, once you have something like this you will wonder what took you so long to buy a projector.

Slydragon
08-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Also see how much the lamps cost. You may find a cheap pj but the lamps cost 400. some last 2000 to 4000 hours but cost alot to replace.

rasho8
08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a 1080p 52" sharp aquos LCD television and a 720p dlp projector that hits about 98' inches with the throw I have it set up at.

The projector is great when the lights are off, but I prefer the crystal clarity and the brightness of my TV.

The projector is collecting dust until I move into a house where it will be set up in my office as my monitor for EVE.