PDA

View Full Version : Has this been the most unlucky spurs offseason of the Duncan Era?

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Question.

mavsfan1000
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I encourage posters to begin listing the events of misfortune that have blighted our offseason thus far.

vander
08-29-2008, 09:28 PM
unlucky?

I wouldn't call the inability to add talent to the roster "unlucky" this FO has been crap since they signed Bowen.

Tully365
08-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Here's another bit of info on him that is very interesting-- stats as a starter: (you can find these on nba.com: underneath the player profiles, click on "season splits")

Roger Mason
9 games started

37 mpg
17.4 ppg
3.4 apg
3.0 rpg
52.6% FG
43.1% 3PT
90.1% FT

I realize this is a small sample size, but you can definitely argue that when the opportunity presented itself, Roger stepped up big time.

For what they paid, I'd call it a steal.

Dex
08-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I didn't expect a whole LOT of movement out of the Spurs front office. The fact that we were even IN the Maggette sweepstakes was a surprise. And ending up with Roger Mason could end up being a nice little coup.

However, I think losing Tiago Splitter to Tau, coupled with Manu's continued ankle injury, coupled with a lack of development compared to other teams, all adds up to one of the worse Spurs offseasons in a while.

Dex
08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh, and Barry went to Houston.

Oh, and Finley came back instead of Horry.

Oh, and our draft picks sucked, but that's just part of being a Spurs fan. If George Hill or Malik Hairston pan out at all, expect them to end up with the Rockets or Suns.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
BTW I guess I should say it was meant to be implied that if you say nah brah, you should mention which offseason was the most unlucky.

itzsoweezee
08-29-2008, 10:24 PM
ineptness does not equal unlucky

the front office has some many massive fuck-ups, you can't call it bad luck.

Tully365
08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Losing Splitter was unlucky.

I gotta say I agree with letting Horry go. His production last year was smaller than Bonner's. He was a great guy to have the past few years, but I think the run was over.

I think Barry still has something left, but he is also older and spent most of last season injured. He had a great game against the Lakers in the playoffs, but otherwise underperformed. A great guy... but if the mantra is get younger and more athletic, it makes sense to let him go and create minutes for Mason, Udoka, and to look towards the future.

Finley was the youngest of the three vets, and played the most minutes last year of the three. I just think it makes sense to keep him, especially at a cheap price.

So, it turns out Maggette wanted to make more money and Denver was ready to match any offer for Smith. I wish Gist had stayed, but overall I think the FO chose wisely.

Brutalis
08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Barry was washed up. So was Horry.

We got a great role player in Roger Mason. The verdict is out on Mahinmi. We brought back Thomas who was virtually free to begin with and signed him cheap.

Good off season to me. Not great but it never is.

z0sa
08-29-2008, 10:37 PM
In terms of what we could do, the only "major fuckup" I saw was made on Draft Night. But the jury's still out on that one ...

Tully365
08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
In terms of what we could do, the only "major fuckup" I saw was made on Draft Night. But the jury's still out on that one ...

If the jury is still out, how can it be a major fuckup?

Tully365
08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Answer this honestly: before the Spurs made an offer last off season to Mason, was he on anyone's radar? And then he goes and has a breakout year, posting the best scoring numbers and shooting percentages of his career, to go along with his already scrappy defense and versatility... isn't this an example of really good talent scouting?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
This offseason was just dandy.

DROB4EVER
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Answer this honestly: before the Spurs made an offer last off season to Mason, was he on anyone's radar? And then he goes and has a breakout year, posting the best scoring numbers and shooting percentages of his career, to go along with his already scrappy defense and versatility... isn't this an example of really good talent scouting?

I think the spurs are great talent scouts, signing and keeping players is another thing. My problem is that they have failed to draft, keep and develop young talent so that we dont have to pray someone we want signs with us.

We have drafted well from John Salmons, to Barbosa, Scola , Manu and Parker ect..... But Im not sold on Hill yet as a pg. I think he would be much better suited to give us mins at the 2 with tony on the floor to help with the ball handling.

I think Ian was a good pick who could be a 16 - 10 guy in a few years. I still dont think passing on Greene and the Center form Tex a&m for hill was a wise move. Letting Gist walk was not a good idea even though he will likely be back in 2010. Hairston was a complete bust, he is not an NBA player right now and they could have had Walker instead of him.

ducks
08-29-2008, 11:16 PM
hell no

Tully365
08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
hell no

:lol You mean, generally?
Hell no what?

DPG21920
08-29-2008, 11:41 PM
It was only unlucky that so many people we targeted had better offers, other than that, not so bad.

Tully365
08-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I think the spurs are great talent scouts, signing and keeping players is another thing. My problem is that they have failed to draft, keep and develop young talent so that we dont have to pray someone we want signs with us.

We have drafted well from John Salmons, to Barbosa, Scola , Manu and Parker ect..... But Im not sold on Hill yet as a pg. I think he would be much better suited to give us mins at the 2 with tony on the floor to help with the ball handling.

I think Ian was a good pick who could be a 16 - 10 guy in a few years. I still dont think passing on Greene and the Center form Tex a&m for hill was a wise move. Letting Gist walk was not a good idea even though he will likely be back in 2010. Hairston was a complete bust, he is not an NBA player right now and they could have had Walker instead of him.

Ironically, the Spurs have been victims of their own success. By always winning, they always pick late in the draft, and by having established veterans, they often didn't have much room for rookies. The Pistons have had a similar situation the last five years, don't you think?

I agree on Gist-- wish he had stayed. I don't like the idea of every Euro GM having a front seat to his talent and development...

I'd guess Hill was picked as a combo guard who, thanks to his 6'9" wingspan and desire to play D, could be developed to both relieve and play alongside Parker-- just like Mason. It's a nice move IMO because Parker is our youngest star and figures to be here a long time, so surrounding him with versatile combo guards makes sense-- they can get more minutes without taking too many away from him directly.

Dex
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't forget about....that...that....front office guy....that left!

z0sa
08-30-2008, 02:03 AM
If the jury is still out, how can it be a major fuckup?

The jury can always be out, even on minor fuckups, which is also what George Hill could end up being.

The Truth #6
08-30-2008, 03:16 AM
The contract they gave to Finley shows ineptitude to some degree, or if not that, then desperation. I don't see how anyone can make a great case for Finley. The best argument seems to be that he might not play much. Or that we know what we're getting. What we're getting is an ineffective player. It was bad enough to let Gist go but to then sign Fin for two more years! That is insane.

Mason might be a steal. Let's hope so.

The Splitter issue at first seemed like bad luck but I'm wondering now if they should have even drafted him. In other words, could this scenario have been avoided? It's hard to say, but I don't think the FO should be completely off the hook for not knowing what kind of situation they were getting involved in.

And the Corey situation - yeah, it would have been cool if he had come here but was he anymore of a team player than JR? They both seemed like me first players except that Corey is older and somehow, "safer". To me, JR was a better prospectl. I still think we should have offered a contract to JR right away before they were able to deal away Camby to clear space.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion. That's fine.

Obstructed_View
08-30-2008, 07:34 AM
If Manu had skipped the olympics, he'd have fucked up his ankle in November and would have been out for most of the regular season when the West is really deep. That pretty much makes this as lucky an offseason as the Spurs have ever had.

exstatic
08-30-2008, 01:21 PM
The most unlucky off season that I can remember was '99. We lost a two time All Star lock down defender, got stiffed by an agent and his player (Murray) who would have at least filled the offensive void, and got matched by the Clips on Nesby.

ShoogarBear
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
If you want to start back with the Scola trade, you could argue the problems go back further than this offseason.

SenorSpur
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Losing Splitter was unlucky.

I gotta say I agree with letting Horry go. His production last year was smaller than Bonner's. He was a great guy to have the past few years, but I think the run was over.

I think Barry still has something left, but he is also older and spent most of last season injured. He had a great game against the Lakers in the playoffs, but otherwise underperformed. A great guy... but if the mantra is get younger and more athletic, it makes sense to let him go and create minutes for Mason, Udoka, and to look towards the future.

Finley was the youngest of the three vets, and played the most minutes last year of the three. I just think it makes sense to keep him, especially at a cheap price.

So, it turns out Maggette wanted to make more money and Denver was ready to match any offer for Smith. I wish Gist had stayed, but overall I think the FO chose wisely.

Very salient points.

No Splitter
No Maggette
No young swingman in the pipeline - 3rd year in a row
No Gist
Rejection from other FAs (Najera, Pargo)
A hobbled Manu to start the season

Add it all up and the answer is YES. It's been an unlucky offseason. However, it's good to see the Spurs FO moving in the right direction to fill holes.

sprrs
08-30-2008, 02:24 PM
The one good prospect in Gist went to Europe, where it's a very real possibility he could stay there instead of coming back.

BWS-1994
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Outside of the ping pong balls falling SA's way, I don't really believe the Spurs rely on luck to get things done.

I mean, they take lots of time scouting players not usually seen on other teams radar, personally visit and court players they want, go to practice whether you're the big 3 or end of the bench player.

tlongII
08-30-2008, 03:59 PM
They were unlucky and inept. A bad combination.

urunobili
08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
If Manu had skipped the olympics, he'd have fucked up his ankle in November and would have been out for most of the regular season when the West is really deep. That pretty much makes this as lucky an offseason as the Spurs have ever had.

:tu

lotr1trekkie
08-30-2008, 05:14 PM
If Mahiimni does't look good in training camp I would expect us to make a move for a veteran big for at least another year. If Bonner could do the job I think Pop would have gotten his ass off the pines during the Laker series instead of hoping Horry would come alive. Tim, Kurt and Fab aren't enough to keep us competitive over the long season.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-30-2008, 10:11 PM
The Spurs Nation Is Divided
And Divided It Shall Fall

m33p0
09-01-2008, 06:21 AM
They were unlucky and inept. A bad combination.
yeah. how many blown knees do the blazers' medical staff has?

Cant_Be_Faded
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Boy all you people who voted no look a little on the wrong side, don't you?

No way I'm getting league pass now. This shit is whack.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
So many unlucky things, I honestly don't even remember what triggered it all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Not even close.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Not even close.

rofl

THEN WHAT WAS BRO

name it

name it now

phyzik
09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I too would like to know what other offseason during the Duncan era has been worse. I dont recall.

angelbelow
09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
probably.

Spurtacus
09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes, it has been.

SpurSupremacist
09-24-2008, 11:46 PM
You make your own luck. As such, the Spurs front office sucks cock.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-25-2008, 06:54 AM
rofl

THEN WHAT WAS BRO

name it

name it now

Last offseason

Russ
09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Look at the last five years and try to determine how well the team will do based on how successful the summer was. Inversely proportional comes to mind.

SenorSpur
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I would definitely start with the Great Houston Train Robbery

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Overreaction forum.

WildcardManu
09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
yeah. how many blown knees do the blazers' medical staff has?

:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Last offseason

ROFL RAWWWFULL

Dude

Name me point by point what made last offseason so bad.

The Truth #6
09-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Resigning Bonner and then giving away Scola kind of sucked. Isn't that obvious?

timtonymanu
09-27-2008, 03:01 AM
List of unlucky events:
1. Trading Goran Dragic
2. Losing out on Corey Maggette
3. Losing Brent Barry
4. George Hill sucking at SL
5. James Gist going overseas
6. Losing out on Jannero Pargo
7. Re-signing Michael Finley
8. Horry not being resigned (he played bad, but it's sad to see him go)
9. Ginobili getting injured
10. Mahinmi getting injured before training camp

no matter what has happened, im not giving up hope on the spurs. i have a feeling this will actually be an advantage.

Manufan909
09-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Besides Manu getting surgery now instead of during the season, and losing 2 of our 3 oldest players, how is any of what you listed an advantage for the Spurs?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-27-2008, 08:38 AM
ROFL RAWWWFULL

Dude

Name me point by point what made last offseason so bad.

Scola, never really found a backup point guard nor bigman.